Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dante's 15 favorite TV performances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 9:35:03 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I have been absent for a while around here, only sneaking in occasionally to make a snide remark or... whatever. Anway, I've always found it to be quite fun to do lists, and now I'm back with one that I will not hide was inspired by rawlinson's obviously superior (though slightly slower in the update department) list. I can't even hope to better it, so consider this a between-the-rounds read.

I considered doing more than 15, though decided small was good for this time. I did however make a rule that no show could have more than one performance, so that variation wouldn't disappear in the small space.

I figure I'll finish it fairly quickly, as I usually do with things.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.
Post #: 1
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 9:37:48 PM   
elab49

The one per show is a sensible call given how easily you would probably populate the list from one show.

Imagine the popcorn smilie - here.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 2
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 9:41:30 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

I figure I'll finish it fairly quickly, as I usually do with things.

That's what she said.

Good luck with the list, looking forward to it.

Post #: 3
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 9:56:00 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The one per show is a sensible call given how easily you would probably populate the list from one show.

Yeah, but I had to choose one, though! I didn't find it hard, though some probably would.

quote:

Imagine the popcorn smilie - here.

Why imagine?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 9:59:00 PM   
FritzlFan

I look forward to it, especially the choices for certain shows.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 5
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 10:11:27 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Why do I get the feeling people know what's coming?

Some choices are definitely predictable, but there's something for everyone here.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 6
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 10:17:27 PM   
jamesbondguy

Chris Kamara.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 7
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 10:46:13 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I'll give the Lionel Richie-lookalike an honorable mention. Don't think Norwegian channels are too keen on importing programs about British soccer.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 8
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 11:32:30 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: James Ransone
Appears in: Generation Kill (2008)

Even though its total running time wasn't more than a mere seven hours, Generation Kill packed more characters (just about all of them male) into its narrative than most shows would do through several seasons. Show creators David Simon and Ed Burns, best known for the phenomenal piece of art that is The Wire, assumed the audience were bright enough to pay attention to their complex way of making television, as we were thrown headfirst into the Iraq War with next to no exposition to help us get to know the characters. Thankfully, whoever was in charge of casting did their job, as almost every character slowly managed to come alive on screen, thanks to actors who really knew what they were doing.

A natural choice for this list's Generation Kill representative could have been Alexander Skarsgård (playing the ice cold Sgt. Brad Colbert). However, I've always found the show's central figure to be Ray Person, played by James Ransone. Ransone had a role in The Wire, but whereas the character he played there was as unsympathetic as they get, his portrayal of Person is very much one of the funniest guys ever to grace a TV screen. Whether jerking off during heavy battle fire, singing Avril Lavigne songs while urinating, or theorizing that the cause of the Iraq War is the Arabs' supposed "lack of pussy", you simply can't take your eyes off him, and you certainly can't stop laughing.

Generation Kill is such a great show, because it doesn't censor anything. The soldiers are nothing like the typical war characters we have seen. Perhaps that is because the Iraq War, for all its tragedy, is like a very black comedy. I mean, "Mission Accomplished", anyone? There is no flag-waving here, and no "I just want to go home" lines that you've heard a thousand times. Instead you have characters like Person, who is more concerned about the supposed rumor that Jennifer Lopez has died than any political news. James doesn't look anything like the real Person, though his child-like appearance and behavior makes it ease to see why he got the part.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 1/7/2010 8:06:02 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 11:39:41 PM   
rawlinson

James. 

Great write-up though. 

Post #: 10
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 11:41:38 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

I know right? I imagine choosing just one person from One Tree Hill is gonna be hard.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 11:42:53 PM   
Rinc

Really good start.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 12
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 30/6/2010 11:46:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Played by: Josh Ransone
Appears in: Generation Kill (2008)

Even though its total running time wasn't more than a mere seven hours, Generation Kill packed more characters (just about all of them male) into its narrative than most shows would do through several seasons. Show creators David Simon and Ed Burns, best known for the phenomenal piece of art that is The Wire, assumed the audience were bright enough to pay attention to their complex way of making television, as we were thrown headfirst into the Iraq War with next to no exposition to help us get to know the characters. Thankfully, whoever was in charge of casting did their job, as almost every character slowly managed to come alive on screen, thanks to actors who really knew what they were doing.

A natural choice for this list's Generation Kill representative could have been Alexander Skarsgård (playing the ice cold Sgt. Brad Colbert). However, I've always found the show's central figure to be Ray Person, played by Josh Ransone. Ransone had a role in The Wire, but whereas the character he played there was as unsympathetic as they get, his portrayal of Person is very much one of the funniest guys ever to grace a TV screen. Whether jerking off during heavy battle fire, singing Avril Lavigne songs while urinating, or theorizing that the cause of the Iraq War is the Arabs' supposed "lack of pussy", you simply can't take your eyes off him, and you certainly can't stop laughing.

Generation Kill is such a great show, because it doesn't censor anything. The soldiers are nothing like the typical war characters we have seen. Perhaps that is because the Iraq War, for all its tragedy, is like a very black comedy. I mean, "Mission Accomplished", anyone? There is no flag-waving here, and no "I just want to go home" lines that you've heard a thousand times. Instead you have characters like Person, who is more concerned about the supposed rumor that Jennifer Lopez has died than any political news. Ransone doesn't look anything like the real Person, though his child-like appearance and behavior makes it ease to see why he got the part.

Did you read the stuff at the end of the book where he met up with some of them post filming both with and without the actors?

Great choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 13
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:07:25 AM   
Dantes Inferno

I actually haven't read the book.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Really good start.

You're gonna love #14.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:10:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well, we can never have everyone in agreement in these threads, so I'll start I just never liked his character at all. Then again, I wasn't the greatest fan of the show. Maybe a rewatch is in order. I honestly can't remember a thing about it. I did like the reporter a lot though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 15
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:59:52 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Don't worry, Gimli, I know there are some performances down the line you'll agree with. I hope.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 16
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 9:07:55 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Alfonso Ribeiro
Appears in: The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)

It's not a secret that opposites often make great comedy, as evidenced by the character Carlton Banks in the popular early 90's sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The show centered around Will Smith (playing a fictionalized version of himself) who, after getting into a street brawl in his home town Philadelphia, was sent to live with his uncle Philip Banks and his family in Bel-Air, the affluent Los Angeles residential community. Will's street-like behavior was often at odds with the more preppy lifestyle of the Banks, who were rich, educated and quite conservative. However, no relationship were more strained (and as funny) than the one with the aforementioned Carlton.

Carlton was, in many ways, Will's true opposite. Whereas Will was tall, cool, laid-back, street smart and down with women, Carlton was an intelligent, conservative and openly virginal man of quite short stature. He was also a lifelong fan of William Shatner and Macauley Culkin, and had quite the unhealthy obsession with Tom Jones and his song "It's Not Unusual", which he would blast at a high volume when home alone, simultaneously singing and dancing along to it with little to no awareness how ridiculously he looked. There have been many a famous dance in the history of visual entertainment, but has there ever been one as visually (and aurally) entertaining as Carlton's? The thought alone of him swinging his arms like is enough erupt massive laughter.

Alfonso Ribeiro never found the success equal to the one he got as Carlton. Besting Will Smith on screen is not a feat most often seen, and one might wonder if the former rapper perhaps didn't use some of his many dollars to sabotage Ribeiro's career. Okay, that's perhaps one conspiracy theory that not even Jim Garrison would believe. Nevertheless, Ribeiro deserves credit for stealing the spotlight completely from an actor who is now considered to be one of the most bankable stars in the world. I know I couldn't have done it.

There have been many memorable moments in this forum (when is someone going to make a list of that?), including the great verbal war that was the middle of Miles' "unseen films" thread, the list finished by Piles in the early days (which broke the tradition of no one in this forum ever finishing list), the many lists never finished by jamesbondguy (who seemed intent on keeping the tradition), and the top 1000 list. But my personal favorite has to be the one where I realized exactly how large a fan-base Carlton Banks has here. The club that followed didn't garner as many members as it deserved, but there are still those who believe, as seen in the occasional signature stating such titles as "Biscuits & Tea Chief" and "Rapid Response Director".

Post #: 17
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 9:12:47 AM   
elab49

Seriously? One of your all-time favourite performances of all time on TV? Or just enjoying the viral thing?

I don't even think it was the best performance in the show.

quote:

Post #: 18
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 9:19:38 AM   
Rinc

Brilliant choice.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 9:52:43 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

Seriously? One of your all-time favourite performances of all time on TV? Or just enjoying the viral thing?

Oh, heavens, yes. The viral thing was just a cool wake-up call for me that one of the funniest characters I have ever seen on TV was equally loved by others.

quote:

I don't even think it was the best performance in the show.

Who knows what your favorites are? You start lists, then update them every second month, but not before deciding to do honorable mentions first.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 1/7/2010 9:53:51 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 10:08:29 AM   
elab49

Technically it is a top 150 list, and I'm just counting down 101-150, but not in any particular order.

There will be an update to that by the weekend - I gave in and decided to rewatch the entire series rather than do it from memory. By and large that's part of what's causing delays as well!

quote:

Post #: 21
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 1:57:02 PM   
ElephantBoy

Well certainly a varied start to the list, I also applad the fat that your limting yourself to one name per show, something which I would find very tricky, and the fact its only a list of 15 hopefully means it will be quailty of qunity. 

I really should give Generation Kill a watch as I remain a little unconvinced at The Wire's greatness, espically when people start calling it the greatest show ever. 

Its nice to see you go for the oppisite of what people would expect from The Fresh Prince, I have vange memories of the show, my brother was a big fan, maybe I was a few years too young to get into it.

So tempted to tell you what my selections would be, but I won't just yet, as I want to see who else pops up on your list and how simler mine would be.  Keep up the good work

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 2:14:22 PM   
FritzlFan

Superb choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 23
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 2:48:00 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

So tempted to tell you what my selections would be, but I won't just yet, as I want to see who else pops up on your list and how simler mine would be.  Keep up the good work

You can post your list now, there's no difference. It'll still be here when mine's finished.

Post #: 24
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 6:21:13 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: David Cross
Appears in: Arrested Development (2003-2006)

Tobias Fünke. Even the name is funny. Of course, reading about Tobias is one thing; watching him on screen is another. As played by David Cross, he is one of the decade's finest comic creations. In a show filled to the brim with fantastic characters, Tobias stood out because he was just so damn outrageous: he was a former doctor who lost his medical license when trying to perform CPR on a man he thought was having a heart attack (he wasn't), he was the world's first analyst and therapist, making him an anal-rapist (not pronounced the way the words would suggest), and he was a "never-nude", which meant that he would not let anyone, including himself, see him naked (he wore short denim cut-offs at all times, including in the shower).

Now imagine this: you are the actor playing Tobias Fünke. You have to perform some of the most embarrassing actions ever to appear in a sitcom. Every week, you are given scripts that state that you are to, say, be completely covered in blue paint, have to refer to yourself as a "blow hard" without any knowledge of how gay this makes you sound, and you have to accidentally take close-up pictures of your balls that end up on the news because someone thought it looked like WMDs. Let me ask you this: would you do all those things? David Cross not only would do those things, but actually did them. For that, I am pleased to refer to him not as a "blow hard", but as a brave man.

I mean, think about it: there are plenty of other gigs out there that pay you more and embarrass you less. Why would you choose to play someone like Tobias Fünke? Because of the audience, that's why. Matthew McConaughey may have a good time strutting around beaches with Kate Hudson while wearing nothing but shorts, but is the audience having a good time? No. You see, sometimes you have to make sacrifices, godamnit, and I'll be damned if that isn't what David Cross did when he played Tobias.

Post #: 25
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:32:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

Another intresting choice, I've seen a few Arrested Development and have liked what I've seen so far.

Post #: 26
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:38:08 PM   
matty_b

What a wonderful, wonderful choice. I absolutely love Tobias. His stint as a member of the blue man group just kills me as does every conversation he has with Maeby.

"Now, Maeby you're going to have to decide what you want in life - a man or a boy. I know which I'd choose."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 27
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:40:29 PM   
Zaphod121

"I accidentally shot my wod on what was supposed to be a dry run as it where"
Brilliant brilliant character.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 28
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 8:46:50 PM   
BlueBalls

Great show and he's the best thing in it!

Good choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 29
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 1/7/2010 9:06:08 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Next up... a green jacket.

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI