Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Epic Deathly Hallows Trailer Now Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Epic Deathly Hallows Trailer Now Online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Epic Deathly Hallows Trailer Now Online - 29/6/2010 10:01:00 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Brilliant trailer - 29/6/2010 11:01:25 AM   
livewire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Radical_Duck

Absolutely top notch- its gonna be good. Watched it first about three hours ago, thought Empire would have had it by then, but obviously not..

Agreed. it's been on loads of site from first thing this morning.

Have to say i'm really looking forward to this film and it doesn't look like it'll disappoint.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010
Post #: 2
RE: not sure - 29/6/2010 1:08:21 PM   
Esmereldet

quote:

ORIGINAL: zenotrapp

To me, Deathly Hallows was the weakest of the books and I'm not sure how splitting the film in 2 parts will really serve the story in film terms. The biggest problems of some of the previous ones was, that they were too close to the books, taking no liberties, which are sometimes necessary when adapting to film. I'm afraid that it will just feel dragged that way.

I feel exactly the oposite :) It is my favourite book and I love that they are splitting it in two so we get as much as possible. I also feel they have NOT followed the books too cloesly before hehe...

Where in the trailer do yuo see Xenophillius? I can't wait to see RoR scenes and Snapes story and the Gringotts and and and and and

www.ennisjack.com
Post #: 3
RE: Request - 29/6/2010 1:09:07 PM   
Esmereldet

quote:

ORIGINAL: jameshrave

I humbly request a trailer breakdown.

Me too... PLEASE

www.ennisjack.com
Post #: 4
RE: Request - 29/6/2010 2:30:59 PM   
livewire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Esmereldet

quote:

ORIGINAL: jameshrave

I humbly request a trailer breakdown.

Me too... PLEASE

And why not! I'll have one of those too.

although if you've read the books you can pick out everything. (although that tends to be a disappointment then when you watch half blood prince and realise what alls missing)

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Esmereldet)
Post #: 5
RE: - 29/6/2010 4:01:44 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: mogel96

@waltham1979
The Dragon pops up near the end. However it does about fuck all, if there were any reason they would have got that to eat Voldemort and save us a few chapters, or get Hagrid to beat the shit out of him .

SPOILERS

I would assume it's the dragon from gringotts, that they escape on, so it plays a pretty big part. I haven't seen the trailer yet though because we have no sound at work.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.
Post #: 6
RE: Because i've got something worth living for... - 29/6/2010 4:57:33 PM   
The Hooded Man

I find it hard to get excited about the Harry Potter films, for some reason they seem to make the least of what's available. Every film is almost identical to the one before it only even somehow less inspiring. The decision to cut the last book in two is ridiculously cyncial, Warner Brothers realised the cash cow was running out so decided to exploit a loyal fanbase even further.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 7
RE: Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood... - 29/6/2010 6:11:02 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: stenton

on imdb but it looks like it could be Billy Connelly from the trailer. He's definitely in it.

Billy Connolly is not in it. If you mean the man we see backing away from the camera rather sharpish, that's John Hurt's Olivander.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."
Post #: 8
RE: Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood... - 29/6/2010 6:12:43 PM   
Deviation

It still reminds me of Twilight.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 9
RE: Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood... - 29/6/2010 7:34:22 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder
Billy Connolly is not in it. If you mean the man we see backing away from the camera rather sharpish, that's John Hurt's Olivander.

No it isn't. The person backing away from the camera has facial hair, Olivander doesn't have any. Looks a lot like Billy Connolly to me.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Great looking stuff going on in that trailer, but it looks like they've deviated from the book quite a bit. The bit where Voldemort is grabbing Harry's face (what's that all about?), and the shot at the very end (amazing shot) where they're duelling it out in a deserted and badly-damaged Hogwarts.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 29/6/2010 7:38:30 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

Post #: 10
RE: Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood... - 29/6/2010 7:43:13 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

quote:

No it isn't. The person backing away from the camera has facial hair, Olivander doesn't have any. Looks a lot like Billy Connolly to me.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Great looking stuff going on in that trailer, but it looks like they've deviated from the book quite a bit. The bit where Voldemort is grabbing Harry's face (what's that all about?), and the shot at the very end (amazing shot) where they're duelling it out in a deserted and badly-damaged Hogwarts.

Ah, having looked closely at the high res picture, you're right, it isn't Ollivander. But it certainly isn't Billy Connelly. Considering the man seems to be in a wand shop, I would imagine that it is Gregorovitch.

I agree with your last comment, that's really the only part that is bugging me. The shot looks good but why change it? In the book it's a very tense battle in the middle of the Great Hall surrounded by people. Why move it to the courtyard and ahve nobody else there?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 11
RE: Hmmm! - 29/6/2010 7:53:05 PM   
Esmereldet

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

I havent read the book in a while, just about to reread, but I dont remember their being a fucking great dragon in the book....

quote:

ORIGINAL: JackS1351

Looks amazing. I'm going to be first to see it in November. I've read thee book but I don't remember there being a HUGE bloody great dragon in it.

SPOILER for those who haven't read the book:

It is a great big dragon guarding the Lestranges vault in Gringotts, it is blind and pink due to having been kept underground for so long. HRH sets it free and use it to bust out of Gringotts after they have found Hufflepuffs cup in the vault and Griphook yells to the other Gringotts goblins to get the thiefs.

www.ennisjack.com
Post #: 12
RE: Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood... - 29/6/2010 8:02:10 PM   
Alistair

quote:

I agree with your last comment, that's really the only part that is bugging me. The shot looks good but why change it? In the book it's a very tense battle in the middle of the Great Hall surrounded by people. Why move it to the courtyard and ahve nobody else there?

Perhaps that stuff happens (like it does in the book) but maybe this battle occurs before-hand. Mind you, the main battle takes place at night and then the dawn comes during Harry's face-off with Voldemort, so I'm retracting what I just said. I'm confused.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

Post #: 13
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 29/6/2010 8:39:34 PM   
bad hat harry

That's actually not a badly put together trailer, even if it is just a series of money shots. i hold out no hope for the actual final movies though. As with Twilight, the hardcore fans with love it, or say they do, even if the movie is a total dog, when they're actually crying inside over how disappointing it all is. The entire Harry Potter movie series has just been a gigantic letdown. the worst thing they ever did was to hire Chris Columbus to direct those first two movies. He's really a very poor film maker. The fact that the Goonies and Gremlins are seen as classics has very little to do with their scripts. The rest of the Harry Potter films have never really shaken the tone that he set, which is little more than an extension of his Young Sherlock Holmes screenplay .the first two kind of get a pass because they were finding their feet and the best stuff was set to happen later in the series. blah blah blah. But they've just never gotten over the issues in those initial movies, i.e The three central performances not being terribly good, the almost Star Trek: TNG level of introducing shaky and nonsensical plot devices, with no internal logic and the feeling that the entire story is actually getting nowhere despite how tediously dragged out the whole thing feels. and the casting thing has to be mentioned again if only to say that Emma Watson is really, really terrible in these movies. Daniel Radcliffe, while not the greatest actor ever, has gotten better with each movie and now is at the point where he's passable as Harry Potter. But i really don't think Emma Watson has had a single moment in 6, soon to be 8 i'd guess, movies where she was anything less than totally wooden. The pouty, jolly hockey sticks persona was annoying an hour into the first movie but 9 years later it's become like nails on a blackboard being dragged down a baby. Maddening doesn't even come close. i don't think she's had a scene in any of the films where she comes across as anything other than utterly emotionally sterile. And Rupert Grint's ok, even if his acting technique seems to consist solely of pulling that Ricky Butcher upset face, like someone gives him atomic wedgies every morning when he wakes up.

The other problem with the series in that it never really feels like there are any through lines, or those that exist are really poorly done. Each of the movies never really feels like it's own thing but never feels that much like part of a larger story either. It's just a huge missed opportunity. Warner Brothers has almost never thrown their weight behind something like this and they really haven't forced the various writers and directors to change much from the books from what i can see. T The books had quite a few subtle things going on character and plot wise, and all they really needed to do was to remove the endless repetition the books got bogged down with at times. but instead of interesting plot or subtle character work what we've gotten is an 8 movie long generic shit-fest, which, at best, feels like the trailer for a better movie.

but yeah, might go 'n see it. it's got dragons and that, innit? ugh.

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 29/6/2010 8:43:44 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
Woody Allen

Post #: 14
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 29/6/2010 9:29:29 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: bad hat harry
The entire Harry Potter movie series has just been a gigantic letdown. the worst thing they ever did was to hire Chris Columbus to direct those first two movies. He's really a very poor film maker.

...The rest of the Harry Potter films have never really shaken the tone that he set, which is little more than an extension of his Young Sherlock Holmes screenplay .

I kind of agree with the second part of your first point. Columbus was a very safe choice. He'd proven he could make commercially successful kids movies and I think Warners just wanted the first film (at least) to be a success so that they could go ahead and make all the films. I don't think they fully understood at the time what these films would or could become. And what they have become is actually quite mature/dark films, mirroring the tone of the later books. I can't say I really blame Warners for approaching the first film the way they did.

To say that all the films have been a gigantic letdown is a bit strong in my opinion. The producers have chosen some interesting directors. Most notably Alfonso Cuaron (who wanted to return...and he should have had the opportunity), who made quite a striking and interesting film. I'd say all of the films are at least entertaining and often surprising in their tone and visual approach.

To say that the films have never shaken the tone set by Columbus is way off the mark. Look at some of the stuff in the recent trailer. It's vastly different in tone to anything in the first two films. Especially compared to the first film (from a visual perspective even simple things like the shift to a very rugged, natural Scottish landscape as compared to the lush green hills surrounding the castle in the first film). The films have certainly matured while still maintaining a sense of continuity throughout.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 29/6/2010 9:36:46 PM >

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 15
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 30/6/2010 10:49:44 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: bad hat harry
The entire Harry Potter movie series has just been a gigantic letdown. the worst thing they ever did was to hire Chris Columbus to direct those first two movies. He's really a very poor film maker.

...The rest of the Harry Potter films have never really shaken the tone that he set, which is little more than an extension of his Young Sherlock Holmes screenplay .

I kind of agree with the second part of your first point. Columbus was a very safe choice. He'd proven he could make commercially successful kids movies and I think Warners just wanted the first film (at least) to be a success so that they could go ahead and make all the films. I don't think they fully understood at the time what these films would or could become. And what they have become is actually quite mature/dark films, mirroring the tone of the later books. I can't say I really blame Warners for approaching the first film the way they did.

To say that all the films have been a gigantic letdown is a bit strong in my opinion. The producers have chosen some interesting directors. Most notably Alfonso Cuaron (who wanted to return...and he should have had the opportunity), who made quite a striking and interesting film. I'd say all of the films are at least entertaining and often surprising in their tone and visual approach.

To say that the films have never shaken the tone set by Columbus is way off the mark. Look at some of the stuff in the recent trailer. It's vastly different in tone to anything in the first two films. Especially compared to the first film (from a visual perspective even simple things like the shift to a very rugged, natural Scottish landscape as compared to the lush green hills surrounding the castle in the first film). The films have certainly matured while still maintaining a sense of continuity throughout.

I think the first two films set the bar extremely low and subsequent episodes have been moderately better but because they make so much cash that the studio is reluctant to take anything resembling a chance with the next one when it comes along. Imagine these films directed by Del Toro or Terry Gilliam, Jean Pierre Jeunet. Instead with the distinct exception of Cuaron we get yes men who will follow the studio's bidding at every whim. David Yates is probably the only man in the film industry who makes Ron Howard seem innovative.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 16
RE: Holy Hippogriff! - 30/6/2010 11:12:11 AM   
Esmereldet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahj

2) Why are Voldy and Harry having their epic showdown in an empty frickin courtyard instead of the the Great Hall??

Let's hope that was just a part of it and that they move it around... Like someone said on EW, PLEASE let Mrs. Weasley have her Ace line to Bellatrix :) And I am not just saying that because I play Mrs. Weasley ( We run a website and have a summercamp and Yule ball every year here in Norway and I am Mrs. Weasley there) but because that is just awsome :)

www.ennisjack.com
Post #: 17
RE: yet again - 30/6/2010 1:31:50 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: jokerpoker123

another film I will now not be able to see because its in 3 bloody D, its official the lazzy eye folks are banned from cinema. Thanks alot. bastard film makers "lets make everything 3d, its so cool, Avatar was amazing in 3d lets do the same he made so much money" yes I know im going on a bit, but I really enjoyed going to the cinema to watch films - now I can't really I have to wait for the dvd's oh but wait that will be 3d soon too.

The film will be in 2D as well, you will still be able to see it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahj

And how much did I laugh out loud when the words "The Motion Picture Event of a Generation" popped up on screens. It was like a giant 'kiss my arse' to the Twitlights!

Of course. No matter how many "Twihards" there are, they'll never outnumber the Potter fans. There are millions of us.

quote:

Like someone said on EW, PLEASE let Mrs. Weasley have her Ace line to Bellatrix :)

They will definitely have their fight, because Julie Walters mentioned it in an interview. I don't know about that line though, but I'm also hoping it will be in there.

< Message edited by doubtlesswonder -- 30/6/2010 1:36:41 PM >

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."
Post #: 18
RE: yet again - 30/6/2010 1:47:22 PM   
Esmereldet

quote:

quote:

Like someone said on EW, PLEASE let Mrs. Weasley have her Ace line to Bellatrix :)

They will definitely have their fight, because Julie Walters mentioned it in an interview. I don't know about that line though, but I'm also hoping it will be in there.

YESSSS :) I got to do a variation of that line on our first summer camp. I didn't fight Bellatrix but I got to kick out Umbridge. I understand why they have to ommit stuff from the books, but some things just HAVE to stay in. I think that up until that point Mrs. Weasley have not given the impression that she is a strong witch, but she is.. she is one helluva witch, as well as one helluva mother :)

www.ennisjack.com

Post #: 19
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 30/6/2010 1:48:10 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man
I think the first two films set the bar extremely low and subsequent episodes have been moderately better but because they make so much cash that the studio is reluctant to take anything resembling a chance with the next one when it comes along. Imagine these films directed by Del Toro or Terry Gilliam, Jean Pierre Jeunet. Instead with the distinct exception of Cuaron we get yes men who will follow the studio's bidding at every whim. David Yates is probably the only man in the film industry who makes Ron Howard seem innovative.

I suppose directors/producers face a 'damned if you do/damned if you don't' situation to 'taking a chance'. But what should they 'take a chance' with anyway? The films are as dark as you could wish them to be and Yates isn't afraid to change things from the book (as is plain to see in the new trailer, and from the end of the last film). I think Yates's approach to the Potter universe is fantastic but sometimes the execution is lacking and a big criticism I would have against him is that he doesn't really open up with those dramatic moments from the book. Hopefully he will correct this with the final films.

How innovative can you be with an already established set of films, and the biggest series of books of all time? If you didn't much care for any of the previous Potter films then you're not going to care much for the final two. The reaosn they've been split into two films is because the book is all plot. I don't think they've cut out very much at all.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 30/6/2010 1:53:09 PM >

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 20
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 30/6/2010 2:23:36 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I think the biggest problem was that when they started, they had no idea how the series would end, which is why we lost some of the little things that crop up later on. For example, Dobby didn't reappear after CoS (though, thankfully, they have brought him back), we didn't get the big Weasley family feud in OotP (which I hate, because Percy is one of my favourite characters), there was no mention of the locket they threw out in OotP, etc etc.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 21
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 30/6/2010 4:46:48 PM   
The Hooded Man

The stories are there, the books are fantastic and you've got all the ingredients for a truly epic saga, things where looking up when Cuaron took over and there was a definite change in terms of tone and direction. What's happened since is that they've tried to just copy the format, so we've ended up with practically the same film being released 4 times in a row to various degrees of success. Yates has been unable to get the balance right between the humour and the darker elements. On one end we have Helena Bonham Carter treating it as a pantomime and then at the other we have the director's inexperience or inability resulting in each major setpiece being botched. The end of Half Blood Prince should have been on a par with the Empire Strikes Back, the ending of the book rocked me to the core, instead we were given a sequence that looked like it was filmed behind a sofa and a major case of "is that it?"

Post #: 22
RE: yet again - 30/6/2010 5:51:43 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jokerpoker123

another film I will now not be able to see because its in 3 bloody D, its official the lazzy eye folks are banned from cinema. Thanks alot. bastard film makers "lets make everything 3d, its so cool, Avatar was amazing in 3d lets do the same he made so much money" yes I know im going on a bit, but I really enjoyed going to the cinema to watch films - now I can't really I have to wait for the dvd's oh but wait that will be 3d soon too.

The film will be in 2D as well, you will still be able to see it.

Not that I particularly care about Harry Potter, but if previous 3D films are anything to go by (in my area, at least) it'll be three, maybe four 2D showings on the opening weekend, probably at night, and then no more.  Ever.  Every other showing will be in 3D.

So... you're technically correct, yes.  But the reality isn't particularly attractive.

Never mind.  Hated going to the cinema anyway...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

Post #: 23
RE: harry potter and the herp a derp of derp - 1/7/2010 10:15:30 AM   
crimond

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

The stories are there, the books are fantastic and you've got all the ingredients for a truly epic saga, things where looking up when Cuaron took over and there was a definite change in terms of tone and direction. What's happened since is that they've tried to just copy the format, so we've ended up with practically the same film being released 4 times in a row to various degrees of success. Yates has been unable to get the balance right between the humour and the darker elements. On one end we have Helena Bonham Carter treating it as a pantomime and then at the other we have the director's inexperience or inability resulting in each major setpiece being botched. The end of Half Blood Prince should have been on a par with the Empire Strikes Back, the ending of the book rocked me to the core, instead we were given a sequence that looked like it was filmed behind a sofa and a major case of "is that it?"

I'm a big Potter fan and love the books and the films, however I have never understood the love/ admiration for Cuaron's POA. Yes, visually it changed the style and the series has been better for it but as a story the film is awful. All the mystery of the book is removed and for those who haven't read the book the film makes no sense at all. I watched this with my Dad who had no idea why the rat suddenly became a man, he was well confused.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 24
RE: Two parts? - 1/7/2010 11:01:14 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lemure

That's the bit that annoys me as there is no need to split that book in two. A good writer could easily take the best of it and slot it all neatly into two hours. I refuse to pay double for one film and, having read the book, I don't need to.

No need? I think there's a big need to split it into two films. Let's get the obvious out of the way first: Yes, two films = More money. This is an industry at the end of the day. Clue's in the title. Moving on...

Splitting this big book into two films will allow room to breathe and to avoid rushing the plot along. Infact, there's so much ground to cover over the two films that they'll surely sacrifice some stuff from the book (or at the very least not cover it quite as in-depth).

And then there's the final battle in and around Hogwarts. This will take up quite a significant portion of the second film's run-time. It cannot disappoint or feel rushed. People have waited ten years (in film form) for this scene, so just for this fact alone I'm glad that they've done the 'two films' approach.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Epic Deathly Hallows Trailer Now Online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI