Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rev

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Rev Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rev - 29/6/2010 1:14:21 AM   
ElephantBoy

I actually missed the first episode tonight, but will try and catch it online, if not certainly will not be missing next weeks. What a fantastic comedy cast, Tom Hollander (Thick of It), Olivia Colman (Peep Show) and Alexander Armstrong all in the first episodes.  Any thoughts if you saw tonights?
Post #: 1
RE: Rev - 29/6/2010 12:04:26 PM   
Gazdance

I saw it and thought it was hilarious. Rev's black gloved colleague is brilliant, like some sort of Sith Clergy.

The writing is very witty, subtle and well observed.

I'll be tuning in for the rest of the series. It does seem like a one series sort of show though.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2
RE: Rev - 30/6/2010 3:20:46 PM   
spark1

another chance to see tontie 11.20pm bbc2.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 3
RE: Rev - 1/7/2010 12:46:59 AM   
ElephantBoy

Yap caught it tonight and thought it was a very promising first episodes, the question is can it build on that, as if the jokes stay at this level all the way through it may come off a little one note.  The cast were excellent however.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 4
RE: Rev - 1/7/2010 9:28:47 AM   
Brobe

I'd only heard about this as Olivia Coleman did a radio interview the other day and I sort of remembered who Tom Hollander was, then caught it by chance the first time round and rather enjoyed it. Amusing and a bit more adult than expected really, but Hollander's great, such an unusual little nervous man, I've only seen him in POTC and In The Loop before. I'll definitely be watching the next episode, see where it goes and if it keeps up the humour level.

Bow ties are cool.

PSN ID: Paperchris

http://twitter.com/iamchriswright

Post #: 5
RE: Rev - 1/7/2010 9:55:12 AM   
homersimpson_esq

It's all the talk at 'the office'. I thought it was great - didn't do that awful sitcom thing of trying so very hard in that first episode. And the lack of a laugh-track is a plus point too.

On the technical side of things, it's nice to see a series with factual accuracy in vestments and vocabulary, where the Vicar of Dibley was embarassingly wrong most of the time.

Also, "why don't you just FUCK OFF". I love that he took off his dog collar first.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Brobe)
Post #: 6
RE: Rev - 1/7/2010 11:16:23 AM   
Scabby

I thought it was a big bland to be honest. The Rev himself and his Mrs were good but the 'eccentrics' around him just didn't click. I turned off about 5 mins before the end, as I hadn't laughed much at all. If anything, I blame the direction. Felt it was a bit amateurish.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 7
RE: Rev - 1/7/2010 1:09:14 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I too thought it was a bit dull. Tom Hollander is a very likeable lead but that last joke I saw coming from miles away and I presume it was meant to be the big laugh of the episode.  Alexander Armstrong was great though, as ever. I'll stick with it though, it certainly wasn't awful which so many sitcoms are. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 8
RE: Rev - 6/7/2010 11:08:14 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Second episode spoilers.

Watched the second ep last night - I was entertained and appalled in equal measure. Darren was, I feel, too close to reality for comfort. The entirety of his 'church' just reminded me of the time my folks dragged me to Spring Harvest when I was about 15. Apparently, cos I was young, I was meant to go for all the 'cool religion' and pop music presentation. I didn't. With. A. Vengeance. As Adam said, it was more of 'a show, than a sacrament', which I feel is what is so often forgotten with charismatics. They've got the idea that Christ was human, and walked amongst us, yes. Not so big on acknowledging that he was also divine. Charismatics are all a bit chummy, which is all well and good, but there is a time and a place.

Anyway, semi-serious bit over, the episode was great. I loved the role-play with his wife. I loved Olivia Colman's expression when dressed as a prostitute, as she asks Adam his 'name' and, flustered, he says 'Darren'. Steve Evets (best known for playing the real Eric in Looking for Eric) continues to embody every well-meaning but slightly-insane parishioner in the country. Simon McBurney's evil Archdeacon got given a more human face this week, even when dashing between very, very important meetings.

As a series, I think it has great potential. It's not gone for the twee representation of Anglicanism, it's not gone for the obvious 'let's ridicule the Christians and their funny ways', but manages to draw humour from the situation without being patronising. I have, if you'll pardon the expression, great faith in the rest of this series.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 9
RE: Rev - 7/7/2010 10:30:52 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Didnt know anything about this except this thread. Watched tnoghts episode

Its fucking brilliant !

Def a new fave

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 10
RE: Rev - 7/7/2010 10:49:48 PM   
elab49

I'm really enjoying this so far. Like most of the best sitcoms it underplays rather than goes for hyper hysteria, and linking that to a real sincerity in Hollander's excellent performance works wonderfully. What I also really liked was rather than take the easy way out with the bad guy, with his dark gloves and celeb dos and chucking Adam out of taxis at various awkward places, the way he simply backed Adam up and told the luvvies to hop it.

It's really nicely done I think.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 11
RE: Rev - 8/7/2010 12:09:04 AM   
ElephantBoy

Excellent episode on Monday.  Very different to last weeks, with much more viseally human, colourful gags mixed in with the human aspect still there.  And the guy from Smack the Pony was supurb too.  Great accent

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Rev - 13/7/2010 12:33:03 PM   
Lang

This is gets better with every episode. The 'Hello Vicar' moment in the club was a standout for me.

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

Post #: 13
RE: Rev - 19/7/2010 7:57:24 PM   
PB~!

I absolutely love this. I'm a Christian so it's great to see a show which neither ridicules patronisingly or gets the facts completely wrong. It's just a fairly honest attempt to see the funny side of a small CofE congregation and it's brilliant.

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 14
RE: Rev - 19/7/2010 8:20:25 PM   
Fleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: PB~!

I absolutely love this. I'm a Christian so it's great to see a show which neither ridicules patronisingly or gets the facts completely wrong. It's just a fairly honest attempt to see the funny side of a small CofE congregation and it's brilliant.

Ditto this!

"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me."

panicmoon.blogspot.com

(in reply to PB~!)
Post #: 15
RE: Rev - 20/7/2010 4:53:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Episode 4 was better than ep 3, thank God. [/irony]

"Do you know there is a man defecating on your lawn?"
and
"We're all gay in the church."
and
"It's not just a gay thing..."

Top quality stuff this week - the rastafarian Lionpaw was deliciously frustrating. "Why you gettin' all stressed you tiny little man?"

More than the obvious comedy beats, it has quiet moments. Adam's moments talking to God, that show that this is a series with heart, as well as humour. Gives it depth, without hitting you over the head with religion.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Fleur)
Post #: 16
RE: Rev - 20/7/2010 8:27:46 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Also, "why don't you just FUCK OFF". I love that he took off his dog collar first.

Discovered this last week and caught up on iPlayer before last night's episode. Really like this - it doesn't really make me laugh out loud but just put a warm feeling somewhere in my tummy.

...or something....

I like it anyway!

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

Post #: 17
RE: Rev - 21/7/2010 1:08:23 PM   
spark1

colin's a star!

bonneville being in this wk ep reminded me he and hollander co stared in great bbc4 sit com 'freezing'.
was hoping that would get another series but they moved on to 'rev' instead.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 18
RE: Rev - 28/7/2010 8:19:19 PM   
ElephantBoy

One of the shows of 2010!  This will be on my DVD list when it gets released.

Quite ofton the humour seems quite predictable, and familar, but then the show gives you a nicely crafted plot, with some nice human touches, and spot on deadpan wit, and great setpieces.  Rev puts a good and oragianl spin on jokes that would normally seem dated or flat.  Coleman is the unsong star of the show.

Theres a very amusing interview with Tom Hollander in last Friday's G2, everything from Lilly Allen's boyfriend, school days with Nick Clegg and the appraction of real chuches to Rev is covered

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 19
RE: Rev - 28/7/2010 8:24:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Did you just invent a new word? 'appraction'?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 20
RE: Rev - 28/7/2010 8:44:15 PM   
ElephantBoy

Oh yeah don't mind me I'm doing that all the time

Post #: 21
RE: Rev - 3/8/2010 10:33:39 AM   
spark1

brill finale.

catch 'the ship of fools' at-

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery/index.html

< Message edited by spark1 -- 28/11/2011 12:57:09 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Rev - 6/8/2010 4:19:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

One of the best things are TV all year, lets just hope theres a season 2 now, by the way it ended I am not totally convinced there will be, and of couse these things always depend on ratings espically in the first season.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 23
RE: Rev - 11/11/2011 11:05:21 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Season 2 started last night.

Pretty good opener. Ralph Fiennes as the Bishop of London was a brilliant guest star coup. Olivia Colman has more presence after seeing her in Tyrannosaur, and Steve Evetts continues to steal the show: not many get to call a vicar a wankstain to their face...

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 24
RE: Rev - 11/11/2011 1:07:13 PM   
impqueen

I think it's a superb show and it was a really good opener. It was also nice to see Fiennes.   

Yes, always.

Post #: 25
RE: Rev - 11/11/2011 6:52:46 PM   
Ref

Loved the first series and adored this episode. The cameo by Ralph Fiennes was unexpected, but brilliant.

The only thing that I dislike is the teacher Ellie Pattman - just find her to be an annoying character.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 26
RE: Rev - 13/11/2011 8:12:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

A near perfect start to series two, my only complaint was Fienne's camino, it just felt out of place and didn't add much for me. Apart from this it was great.

Disagree about the teacher, she offers balance to Alex as other cenrtal female character, both have got Rev's number, just in different ways, he intellgence is key.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 27
RE: Rev - 28/11/2011 12:48:49 PM   
ElephantBoy

After a dodgy second episode this brilliant sitcom has once again found its feet. I love Adam and Nigel humming the theme to the Exocist as they prepare to carry out a pretend one, maybe my TV highlight of the year

Post #: 28
RE: Rev - 28/11/2011 12:58:48 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

After a dodgy second episode this brilliant sitcom has once again found its feet. I love Adam and Nigel humming the theme to the Exocist as they prepare to carry out a pretend one, maybe my TV highlight of the year

nigel going full father merrin was just as funny.

Post #: 29
RE: Rev - 28/11/2011 1:14:13 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The Archdeacon in Adam's dream was excellent. I've done a pooo in your looo. My poo is snakes.

But yeah, it wasn't that it was just one of them humming Tubular Bells, it was that they were both doing the two parts of it.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Rev Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI