Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman Chronology

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman Chronology - 17/8/2012 1:17:08 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

That's what I've mostly done up til now, but I just wanted to gt the Robin stuff staright in my head to be honest.

Judging my your previous post I'm guessing you're wondering where a Death in the Family fits into the Robin chronology? Well a Death in the Family features Jason Todd. the second Robin. For some reason, A Death in the Family and The Cult are the only stories released in trade form that feature Jason as Robin. So no origin, or any other adventures sadly. Plus I hate The Cult, and whether it has a place in canon is often heatedly debated.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 91
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 12:34:46 PM   
AxlReznor

Last night I finished Gotham Central. It's probably the most depressing ending to a comic book series ever. Certainly the most depressing I've ever read. It's fantastically written, though, and I love what the series did for Renee Montoya as a character. Going from mainly just a bit-player in the animated series and various comics to the most interesting character in an ensemble cast is quite a leap. And the stories that focus on her (Half A Life/Corrigan, etc.) are some of the most well-written stories I've ever read in mainstream comics. Gotham Central was criminally under-rated, and went too soon. I'm hoping that at some point it will be revived... but only if DC bring Montoya into the New 52.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 92
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 1:07:18 PM   
britesparc

I think they've mentioned her in Batwoman as one of Kate's exes, so I'm pretty sure she still exists. Whether she's still "the same" is open for debate, and she's almost certainly not The Question anymore.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 93
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 2:30:44 PM   
AxlReznor

Well it's good that they've at least acknowledged her existence, even though they apparently have no plans to use her in any future storylines at the moment.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 94
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 2:56:19 PM   
britesparc

I guess as there's another Question, they sort of need to work out who she is and what she's doing. But yeah, she should totally come back, along with Stephanie Brown and Donna Troy.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 95
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 7:33:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Last night I finished Gotham Central. It's probably the most depressing ending to a comic book series ever. Certainly the most depressing I've ever read. It's fantastically written, though, and I love what the series did for Renee Montoya as a character. Going from mainly just a bit-player in the animated series and various comics to the most interesting character in an ensemble cast is quite a leap. And the stories that focus on her (Half A Life/Corrigan, etc.) are some of the most well-written stories I've ever read in mainstream comics. Gotham Central was criminally under-rated, and went too soon. I'm hoping that at some point it will be revived... but only if DC bring Montoya into the New 52.

Gotham Central is amazing. I recently bought the four new omnibus editions that DC released and they looked fantastic. The new paper stock really helped bring out Lark's artwork much better than the older, muddy artwork ones.

It's doubtful the series will ever return. Frankly, it's pretty amazing that the series lasted as long as it did with its low sales. Nowadays DC would have it cancelled by issue 6! Add to that fact that Ed Brubaker and Grek Rucka are extremely unlikely to work for DC again under the current regime. Of course, they could always put on new writers/artists but it would be a pale imitation.

If you liked Gothan Central, I strongly encourage you to check out Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Criminal series and their new Image comic Fatale. Greg Ruck and Michael Lark just released their new Image series Lazarus as well. I'm also a big fan of Rucka's Queen & Country comic.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 96
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2013 9:26:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Rucka is a great writer, and I've enjoyed some of his stuff in the past. But I just couldn't get into his Punisher run,but then who can after Ennis had lain down a pretty big marker!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 97
RE: Batman Chronology - 7/8/2013 10:07:07 AM   
AxlReznor

I don't know much about Rucka and Brubaker's problems with DC as a company, but whatever they are, they need to work out their difference. Not only because of Gotham Central, but also because they company are in desperate need of Brubaker rescuing Catwoman... again. He single-handedly turned her into one of my favourite characters of all time, and ever since the New 52 they've proceeded to shit over everything he achieved.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 98
RE: Batman Chronology - 7/8/2013 8:56:49 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I don't know much about Rucka and Brubaker's problems with DC as a company,
but whatever they are, they need to work out their difference. Not only because of Gotham Central, but also because they company are in desperate need of Brubaker rescuing Catwoman... again. He single-handedly turned her into one of my favourite characters of all time, and ever since the New 52 they've proceeded to shit over everything he achieved.

It relates more to DC's chronic inability to deal with talent. See also: the last five years of DC comics.

I see no reason why either of those two writers would ever return to DC. They seem pretty happy with doing the odd bit of corporate work for Marvel (who pay better and treat their creators with a little more respect) and their much more lucrative, no-editorial-censorship creator-owned work with Image.

Again, if you want more stuff like Gotham Central and Catwoman, check out Brubaker's Criminal, Sleeper, Incognito and Fatale. Rucka's Lazarus has gotten off to a good start too.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI