Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman Chronology

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 10:03:20 PM   
Vadersville

I have to admit the guy does come across as a dick. Originally I liked his work, Gothic is one of my favourite stand alone Batman stories. Loved Batman and Son, R.I.P. and Batman and Robin but ROBW just went to wacky for me and I still don't have a clue what Final Crisis is about. Batman is at its best when its brutal and gritty not dealing with inter-dimensional beings and that shite.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 61
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/8/2011 9:50:37 AM   
Vadersville

By the way, has anyone seen the Gotham City Impersonators tie-in graphic novel? I flicked through it in Forbidden Planet, seemed pretty interesting. But very thin. Definitley not worth the 16.99 price label on it...

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 62
RE: Batman F*cked Up Chronology! - 18/11/2011 3:59:27 PM   
Vadersville

Just a quick thought that popped into my head today. If Batman's entire career so far is now supposed to have occured over only 5 years...how is Damian 10 years old? They can try and bluff how Bats went through 4 or 5 different Robins in 5 years and yes they've made everyone a bit younger, but Damian is still stated as being 10 years old and Bats and Talia conceived him when Bruce was already Batman... so Bruce has to have been Batman for at least 10 years!

Post #: 63
RE: Batman F*cked Up Chronology! - 18/11/2011 4:18:24 PM   
Rob

On possible explanation is that Damian has been artificially aged by Talia. However, that's me just speculating but I think there was some reference to his genetics being altered...could be wrong though.

Other than that you're right though the time-line doesn't make sense.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 64
RE: Batman F*cked Up Chronology! - 18/11/2011 4:31:40 PM   
Vadersville

He was gentically enhanced and grown in an artificial womb after Talia almost lost him Son of the Demon but I don't think they mentioned him ever been artificially aged prior to the DCnU.

I try to ignore the newly messed up timeline as much as possible but I can't help it! It just irritates the crap out of me! I have enjoyed some of the new 52 comics but thats been down to the Batman comics doing what they've pretty much always been doing or new creative teams nothing much to do with the continuity being rebooted. 

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 18/11/2011 4:33:19 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 65
RE: Batman F*cked Up Chronology! - 20/11/2011 8:59:58 PM   
furrybastard

Justice League takes place five years in the past but Batman has already been going for at least a little while in that first issue. So it's possible he's been around a bit longer which allows for more continuity to be shoved in.

Still, he must be exhausted.

Post #: 66
RE: Batman F*cked Up Chronology! - 24/11/2011 2:59:51 PM   
britesparc

It's been stated by creators, I think, that Batman had been around for about five years before Justice League #1, but he was only an urban legend. So in my opinion Morrison's 15-year timescale has compressed to 10 years, which is still just about manageable.

Although I guess we'll have to retcon his meeting with Ra's al Ghul a little earlier in his career. Maybe we can incorporate a bit of the Nolan-verse, and have him meet Ra's and Talia whilst training, and that's when Damian is conceived?

I actually quite like that as a storyline...

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 67
RE: Batman Chronology! - 19/4/2012 1:50:43 PM   
Vadersville

Is the new edition of Batman Birth of the Demon worth getting? I already have an original TPB of Son of the Demon.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 19/4/2012 1:55:10 PM >

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 68
RE: Batman Chronology! - 19/4/2012 2:04:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Is the new edition of Batman Birth of the Demon worth getting? I already have an original TPB of Son of the Demon.

I got the new edition, the contents are Son of the Demon, Bride of the Demon and Birth of the Demon.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 69
RE: Batman Chronology! - 19/4/2012 2:13:23 PM   
petecriss8000

It's worth it for Birth Of The Demon alone, though the original GNs have been shrunk to fit TPB trim so the art suffers from weird compression on the first two, quite a bit. Like if you drew something on a balloon and then deflated it. The colours have nowere to go but into each other. But Birth Of The Demon is a perfect story and looks amazing.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 70
RE: Batman Chronology! - 19/4/2012 7:32:35 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah, my copy of Son of the Demon is wider than TPB standard.... hmmm that's put me off a fair bit now.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 71
RE: Batman Chronology! - 19/7/2012 9:40:39 PM   
directorscut

Going back to Birth of the Demon, can anyone confirm where it best fits into continuity (without too much spoilers)?

I've seen it placed just before Batman: The Cult and also between A Lonely Place of Dying and Knightfall.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 72
RE: Batman Chronology - 22/7/2012 9:38:29 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Looking at the list of Modern Batman stuff on Wiki, I've noticed some missing from the list. Is there any reason for this? Is it because they aren't considered canon? The ones I've noticed are:

Batman: Shaman
Batman: Fortunate Son
Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Batman: The Black Mirror
Batman: The Dark Knight Vol 1- Golden Dawn
Batman and Robin- Dark Knight, White Knight
Batman: Gotham Shall Be judged
Batman: Gates of Gotham
Batman Incorporated Vol 1

Then there are three listed as the New 52s. These are reprints, right? Do they fit into the canon or are they completely separate?

Batman Vol 1: The Court of Owls
Batman: Detective Comics Vol 1: Faces of Death
Batman and Robin Vol 1: Born To Kill

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 73
RE: Batman Chronology - 22/7/2012 10:08:59 PM   
Vadersville

I haven't updated it in a while so some stuff could be misisng. Those last three titles are the new DCnU, not the Modern Era. Some things carry over but its not the same continuity. Also, at a glance, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? and Shaman aren't canon.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 74
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 2:32:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

So, No Man's Land. Worth a read?

Vol 3 of the new Knightfall print isn't out till September so I'm missing a Batman tome this month. No Man's Land seems to fit the bill nicely although I've read varying opinions on the arc. Most are favourable but the negative ones are almost uniformly scathing.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 75
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 3:11:12 PM   
sharkboy

The whole Cataclysm/No Man's Land arc was a great idea that became a bit bloated through all the spin-offs and crossover titles.  At its heart is a brilliant story but one which, I feel, could have been told a lot quicker.  Still, there are plenty of stand-out moments throughout the arc, and if you've got the stamina for all the tie-ins then go for it.  The new versions of the TPB include the other titles while the old ones just concentrated on the Bat-titles, so if you are looking for the complete works make sure you get the latest editions!  But as far as I know, they don't include the Cataclysm/Aftershock/Road to No Man's Land prequels, which you might want to hunt out before you start this for some background.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 76
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 3:34:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I had a quick look for the lead in titles but they're a bit on the expensive side for new copies. I think I'm going to order it and just fill in the backstory on various Wiki's as and when required.

I popped into my local WHSmith on Saturday and was tempted to buy A Death In The Family or Black Mirror. I nearly laughed my cock off when I saw they were charging 20+ each.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 77
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 3:47:51 PM   
Rob

I thought No Man's land was a good story that just got far too bloated but I haven't read it for a while.

Cataclysm was around 16 parts and No Man's Land was around 80 so it's a big old saga!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 78
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 4:23:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I thought No Man's land was a good story that just got far too bloated but I haven't read it for a while.

Cataclysm was around 16 parts and No Man's Land was around 80 so it's a big old saga!

I'll give it a go I think. It's not as if Knightfall's a light read after all.

Still, 80 issues is a lot and most of the complaints tend to be of the same variety. Mainly that the Azrael thread of the story kills the momentum.

Fuck it, I've ordered it.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 79
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 4:34:26 PM   
Rob

Having said that I'm now tempted to give it a re-read! Which ones did you get?

Post #: 80
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 4:46:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Volume 1 of the new edition.

Click

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 81
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/7/2012 4:51:49 PM   
Rob

Cheers.

That's actually quite tempting as I skimmed a lot of the tie-ins first time round.

Post #: 82
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/7/2012 10:59:37 AM   
Vadersville

I'm reading the No Man's Land arc for the first time through the new editions. I already know most of what happens but I'm still really enjoying it. Having the various spin off titles is actually a good idea as most contribute to the main story. Although the Azrael does go off onto a bit of a lame tangent in book 2 and there's a silly issue of Teen Titans that felt like I was reading The Beano. i bought the old Knightfall editions like a month before the news one were announced and I'm still angry about it. I'm also displeased with the fact that mere weeks after replacing my old copy of A Death in the Family, they re-release a newer edition that includes A Lonely Place of Dying, a story I've been trying to find for years! Bastards!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 83
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/7/2012 11:08:40 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I'm reading the No Man's Land arc for the first time through the new editions. I already know most of what happens but I'm still really enjoying it. Having the various spin off titles is actually a good idea as most contribute to the main story. Although the Azrael does go off onto a bit of a lame tangent in book 2 and there's a silly issue of Teen Titans that felt like I was reading The Beano. i bought the old Knightfall editions like a month before the news one were announced and I'm still angry about it. I'm also displeased with the fact that mere weeks after replacing my old copy of A Death in the Family, they re-release a newer edition that includes A Lonely Place of Dying, a story I've been trying to find for years! Bastards!

The original comics came out about a year after I started buying Batman on a regular basis and I loved this story but I never managed to buy the two issues of Teen Titans first time around. I spent years trying to find them on eBay and finally got them last year! Happy days.

Post #: 84
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2012 10:00:44 PM   
twomnybilz

WOW what a great find this thread is for me!!! I have been looking for a good story arc list for Batman for a while now. I have found some ok ones. But there were always some serious inconsistancies in them or catch myself questioning the list and I don't even know anything about anything at this point. This is the list I was going off of www.batmantrades.com sorry my copy/paste button is broke. lol

Again I am very green to all of this and I keep coming across the word cannon. Does that mean main story? What exactly does it mean? So far I have read...

Year One
Shaman
Prey
Gothic
Venom
Year Two (which was awful)
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
The Man Who Laughs

In that order I see now that going by your list it should be quite different. Is your list still pretty up to date? Again I am very thankful for finding it!

< Message edited by twomnybilz -- 6/8/2012 10:05:57 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 85
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/8/2012 10:10:43 PM   
twomnybilz

How about Snow? Thats next on my or the other list but I don't see it on yours. Im still a little giddy that I finally found a good list!!!

(in reply to twomnybilz)
Post #: 86
RE: Batman Chronology - 7/8/2012 9:02:41 AM   
furrybastard

When it comes to Batman, "canon" is a very elastic term. A lot of the stories that are now famous were not necessarily intended to be canon but due to their success, they were added into the continuity. A lot of stuff like Prey, Shaman and Venom were originally printed in Legends of the Dark Knight, a title whose purpose was to present Batman stories by critically acclaimed creators but that didn't have to adhere to that era's Batman continuity. At the time, they were not canon. Now, they are.

And right now with the New 52, who the hell knows!? For Batman, I tend to just ignore it and enjoy any story on its own terms. I guess it's nice to have a sort of through-line for the character but it generally just leads to disagreements: Matt Wagner's 'Batman & the Monster Men/Mad Monk' were apparently supposed to tie into continuity (between Year One and Long Halloween) but some people don't accept that!

(in reply to twomnybilz)
Post #: 87
RE: Batman Chronology - 16/8/2012 12:47:36 PM   
jcthefirst

Quick question, if I'm just looking to read the "big" Bats titles, is there any problem going from Year One straight into The Long Hallowen and then Dark Victory? Cause that's what I've done (Currently halfway through Dark Victory). Does Haunted Knight come after Dark Victory?

The other Bats books I have are The Killing Joke, Hush, and Whatever Happened...? Books that can be read without really needing to know any/much backstory. Where does No Man's Land fit into that, and how many volumes are there after the one provided in the link up above. Also, where does a Death in the Family come in?

Sorry for all the questions.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 88
RE: Batman Chronology - 16/8/2012 6:28:32 PM   
furrybastard

I think you can read any of those books in any order, to be honest. They're all relatively self-contained. It's not like you won't be able to understand No Man's Land if you don't read The Long Halloween; the Batman comics just aren't set up like that.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 89
RE: Batman Chronology - 17/8/2012 1:05:53 PM   
jcthefirst

That's what I've mostly done up til now, but I just wanted to gt the Robin stuff staright in my head to be honest.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI