Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman Chronology

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/1/2011 11:22:49 PM   
furrybastard

I imagine it will get reprinted pretty soon.  Other than that, try eBay. mycomicshop.com might still be selling the originals, give that a go!

Actually read my buddies' copies last week. It's pretty good, though I imagine the film will be borrowing from it fairly lightly, if at all.  They've already covered a lot of the ideas from Prey in the first two films, to be honest.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 31
RE: Batman Chronology - 17/1/2011 6:40:23 PM   
Vadersville

Hey, does anybody know in which TPB Dick Grayson tells Tim Drake he's not taking him on as his Robin. I thought it would be in BFTC Companion since its not in the main book or Batman Reborn but it's not. Perhaps in Red Robin The Grail?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 32
RE: Batman Chronology - 18/1/2011 3:43:09 PM   
britesparc

I'm pretty sure it's in the first issue of Red Robin, so whatever "volume one" of the RR TPBs is called.  I think!

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Post #: 33
RE: Batman Chronology - 18/1/2011 4:02:23 PM   
Rob

Yeah you're right. On a side note Red Robin is a really good read in my opinion.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 34
RE: Batman Chronology - 22/1/2011 5:22:29 PM   
Vadersville

Cool. Cheers guys. Will definitley be getting this. Tim Drake is my favourite Robin, even more so than Dick Grayson!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 35
RE: Batman Chronology - 3/2/2011 11:20:22 PM   
Vadersville

Quick question... Does anyone know what Batman and Superman's first meeting is in the Modern Era? I have Trinity, which is clearly set during Dark Victory (Young Dick Grayson's cameo), but that's their first meeting with Wonder Woman. Bruce and Clark already have established friendship / rivalry. Anyone know when Bats and Supes first butt heads?

Post #: 36
RE: Batman Chronology - 4/2/2011 9:15:34 PM   
energoncube

According to a post on the Comic Book Resources forum -

Pre Crisis - they first meet in Superman #76
Post Crisis - they first meet in Man Of Steel #3

I haven't read either of them so couldn't give you details!

Post #: 37
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/2/2011 7:16:32 PM   
Mr Terrific

Going off on a slight tangent, has anybody read a book fulll of short stories about the Joker? It's a novel and not a graphic novel, I read it years ago...it was quite good.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to energoncube)
Post #: 38
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/2/2011 3:17:27 PM   
Rob

Spoilers

Is that the one where he's lobotomised in the first story? If so yeah I had that but that's pretty much all I can remember about it!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 39
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/2/2011 4:37:16 PM   
benmharper

I think i've read it, i also think there is a Batman one too.

Spoilers for Joker book

I can remember a story about him being young and killing animals to collect their bones.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 40
RE: Batman Chronology - 24/2/2011 7:50:23 PM   
Mr Terrific

Ah, found it.

Here is that Joker book.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 41
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/3/2011 2:23:51 PM   
Rebenectomy

If you were coming new to Batman comics, would you guys recommend reading the list in the second post in order, or can you dip in and out? Are there any books that should definitely be read in sequence or together?

I've decided to start getting into these as I'm a fan of Batman, but haven't actually read the comics. I'm going to hold on to them for my son too for when he's a bit older.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 42
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/3/2011 2:43:42 PM   
Rob

There are certain books that have a baring on the others in the series (notably Death in Family impacts many of the books after it) but as long as you know the basics then most can be picked up individually.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 43
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/3/2011 6:33:29 PM   
energoncube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

If you were coming new to Batman comics, would you guys recommend reading the list in the second post in order, or can you dip in and out? Are there any books that should definitely be read in sequence or together?

I've decided to start getting into these as I'm a fan of Batman, but haven't actually read the comics. I'm going to hold on to them for my son too for when he's a bit older.

If I were you I would read Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Jone, Arkham Asylum & The Dark Knight Returns first then you can pretty much cherry pick the rest of the list on page one at your leisure.

If you're just looking to get up to date with the main story at the moment I would read the following in order - Batman and Son, The Black Glove, Batman R.I.P., Final Crisis (not strictly a Batman title though), Battle for the Cowl, Batman Reborn, Batman Vs. Robin, Batman Must Die & The Return of Bruce Wayne.

Also IGN did a good list of the top 25 Batman Graphic Novels - worth a look if you're just getting into the comics - http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html

< Message edited by energoncube -- 1/3/2011 6:45:21 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: Batman Chronology - 2/3/2011 9:22:44 AM   
Rebenectomy

Thanks guys. Showing my greeness here, but I assume that most of these are readily available in the likes of Forbidden Planet and online?

quote:

Final Crisis

He he, hope that one isn't written by D H Lawrence

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 45
RE: Batman Chronology - 2/3/2011 10:12:31 AM   
elab49

There was a recent link to The Book Depository which had quite a few cheaper than Amazon. But Amazon Sellers are the best place for an awful lot of these - you can get them very cheap indeed if you're lucky. FP tends to be more expensive than Amazon proper and aren't overly reliable on delivery times.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 46
RE: Batman Chronology - 2/3/2011 3:16:02 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: energoncube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

If I were you I would read Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Jone, Arkham Asylum & The Dark Knight Returns first then you can pretty much cherry pick the rest of the list on page one at your leisure.

If you're just looking to get up to date with the main story at the moment I would read the following in order - Batman and Son, The Black Glove, Batman R.I.P., Final Crisis (not strictly a Batman title though), Battle for the Cowl, Batman Reborn, Batman Vs. Robin, Batman Must Die & The Return of Bruce Wayne.

Also IGN did a good list of the top 25 Batman Graphic Novels - worth a look if you're just getting into the comics - http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html

As great as Arham Asylum and The Dark Knight Returns are they're not actually canon so if you're looking for Batman books that will give you a good standing of the canon history as it stands you can't go wrong with Year One, The Kong Halloween and The Killing Joke as energoncube says. I'd also add A Death in the Family, Hush and Under The Hood to the list too.

Post #: 47
RE: Batman Chronology - 13/3/2011 1:25:59 PM   
Vadersville

After reading Arkham Reborn straight after Long Shadows and having a massive twist spoilt for me can anyone confirm that the actual order for these TPBs is Long Shadows, Hush Money, Life After Death and then Arkham Reborn? I don't want to risk spoiling anything else for myself...

Post #: 48
RE: Batman Chronology - 13/3/2011 2:11:06 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

There was a recent link to The Book Depository which had quite a few cheaper than Amazon. But Amazon Sellers are the best place for an awful lot of these - you can get them very cheap indeed if you're lucky.

Batman: Year One - 5.98 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - 5.98 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: Secrets by Sam Kieth - 4.48 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: Under the Hood Vol.1 - 4.48 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: Under the Hood Vol.2 - 5.02 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: Complete Hush - 12.60 w/ free Delivery (Click)
Batman: Gothic (by Grant Morrison/Klaus Janson) - 5.79 w/ free Delivery (Click)

The last one - Gothic - is very good if you haven't read it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 49
RE: Batman Chronology - 18/3/2011 8:29:35 PM   
Vadersville

Odd question but is The Untold Legend of the Batman considered canon at all? I didn't think so but a friend of mine insists it is, since it shows a flashback to Thomas Wayne wearing the same costume that Dr.Hurt wears when pretending to be Thomas Wayne in RIP... My guess, its that it isn't canon but like he has with many other stories, Morrison has borrowed the image of Thomas Wayne in a bat costume for his own story.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 50
RE: Batman Chronology - 19/3/2011 11:41:48 AM   
energoncube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Odd question but is The Untold Legend of the Batman considered canon at all? I didn't think so but a friend of mine insists it is, since it shows a flashback to Thomas Wayne wearing the same costume that Dr.Hurt wears when pretending to be Thomas Wayne in RIP... My guess, its that it isn't canon but like he has with many other stories, Morrison has borrowed the image of Thomas Wayne in a bat costume for his own story.

Don't know about this but have you read The Black Casebook TPB?

It's basically the old Batman stories that inspired RIP - it contains a story called The First Batman from Detective Comics #235 in 1956. It's the original story featuring Thomas Wayne in his "Batman" costume.

Post #: 51
RE: Batman Chronology - 20/3/2011 9:10:20 PM   
Vadersville

Thanks for that! I just told my mate that and now he's admitted he was wrong. I know of The Black casebook but not read it myself, is it worth a read?

Post #: 52
RE: Batman Chronology - 20/3/2011 10:20:49 PM   
energoncube

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely worth a read -the stories are pretty old & aren't really too sophisticated to the modern reader but it's interesting to see where Morrison got his inspiration for RIP from. Dr. Hurt, The Club of Heroes, The Batman or Zur-En-Arrh - they're all in there!

Post #: 53
RE: Batman Chronology - 22/8/2011 9:57:19 AM   
Vadersville

Anyone else confused by how this DCnU reboot is going to effect Batman and co? From what I've read Batman and his family aren't going to be rebooted. There will be a reason why Dick returns to Nightwing and Babs getting the use of her legs back will be a story rather than a retcon. But having picked up the free DC Comics The New 52! #1 issue in forbidden planet, it confirms that they're retconning the history of the Justice League completley. In fact this free issue shows Bats and Hal Jordan meeting for the first time. Soooo...how does that effect all the old Batman stories that involved the Justice League? 

Post #: 54
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:16:16 PM   
Rob

I think that most Batman's recent chronology remains in place so RIP, Battle for the Cowl, Batman and Son still happened but I think they'll pick and choose which JLA stories are still relevant. I'm guessing Identity Crisis is still canon.

Ultimately I think it's going to be one of things where we just have to go with it and see what happens as trying to establish a definitive continuity is probably nigh-on impossible.

Post #: 55
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:22:01 PM   
JIm R

If R.I.P was 'dropped' wouldn't be a major concern to me, f*cking appalling story, in fact I hate Morrison's handling of Batman.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 56
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:25:48 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

If R.I.P was 'dropped' wouldn't be a major concern to me, f*cking appalling story, in fact I hate Morrison's handling of Batman.

You are dead to me Jimmy boy!

Loved Batman and Son, loved the Black Glove, loved RIP, loved the Return. I think Morrison has been fantastic for the Bat-books.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 57
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:27:58 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

You are dead to me Jimmy boy!

Loved Batman and Son, loved the Black Glove, loved RIP, loved the Return. I think Morrison has been fantastic for the Bat-books.

Rob, don't say it's so

p.s. are you coming to the London Forum meet up in November ?

< Message edited by JIm R -- 23/8/2011 4:29:19 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 58
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:30:40 PM   
Rob

Never my friend! But can't believe you're not a fan of Morrison's run though. I honestly think it's some of the most entertaining stuff I've read on Batman in the monthly books.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 59
RE: Batman Chronology - 23/8/2011 4:32:58 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Never my friend! But can't believe you're not a fan of Morrison's run though. I honestly think it's some of the most entertaining stuff I've read on Batman in the monthly books.

For me, he just doesn't get the concepts of Batman, the original mechanics of the character plus the guy is an arrogant so and so, perhaps that's swinging it for me

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Batman Chronology Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI