Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Batman Chronology

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Batman Chronology Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Batman Chronology - 24/6/2010 2:20:08 PM   
Vadersville

I'm starting to build up my collection now but I'm having a bit of trouble finding out what order some of the books follow in. Does anyone know or know where I can get a list of the Batman graphic novels from the Modern era in chroncile order (story-wise)? The one on wikipedia seems to leave loads out (No Robin: Year One or even Son of the Demon), and another insists that The Killing Joke is set after A Death in the Family, even though Joker shooting Barbara is mentioned in A Death in the Family, Cheers guys!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind
Post #: 1
RE: Batman Chronology - 25/6/2010 3:32:26 PM   
Vadersville

Okay, since no one has responded, I'm going to have a stab myself so anyone can use for future reference. This is going to be a work in progress by the way, but feel free to tell me of any mistakes or books I've left out.

Batman: Year One
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
The Man Who Laughs
Gothic
Prey
Dead to Rights

Four of a Kind
Haunted Knight
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Robin: Year One
Batgirl: Year One
The Cat and the Bat
Ten Nights of the Beast
The Killing Joke
The Cult
A Death in the Family
Blind Justice
The Many Deaths of the Batman
Son of the Demon
A Lonely Place of Dying
Sword of Azrael
Knightfall Part One: Broken Bat
Knightfall Part Two: Who Rules The Night
Knightfall Part Three: Knightsend
Batman Prodigal
Contagion
Batman Legacy
Cataclysm
No Man's Land Vol.1
No Man's Land Vol.2
No Man's Land Vol.3
No Man's Land Vol.3
No Man's Land Vol.4
No Man's Land Vol.5
Batman Evolution
Officer Down
False Faces
Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
Bruce Wayne: Fugitive Vol.1
Bruce Wayne: Fugitive Vol.2
Bruce Wayne: Fugitive Vol.3
Hush
Death and the Maidens
Broken City
As the Crow Flies
Hush Returns
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Superman/Batman: Supergirl
Superman/Batman: Absolute Power
Superman/Batman: Vengeance
War Drums
War Games Act One: Outbreak
War Games Act Two: Tides
War Games act Three: Endgame
War Crimes
City of Crimes
Under the Hood Vol.1
Under the Hood Vol.2
Face the Face
Batman Detective
Superman/Batman: The Enemies Among Us
Batman and Son
Death and the City
The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
Batman: Private Casebook
The Black Glove
Gotham Underground
Heart of Hush
Batman R.I.P.
Final Crisis
Battle for the Cowl
Battle for the Cowl Companion
Batman Reborn
Batman Vs. Robin
Long Shadows
Hush Money
Life after Death
Arkham Reborn
Time and The Batman
Batman Must Die!
The Road Home
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Eye of the Beholder

EDIT: Putting new addittions / alterations to the list in Bold from now on.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 2/11/2011 8:45:56 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 2
RE: Batman Chronology - 25/6/2010 4:35:55 PM   
Rob

Good list and I can't see any errors.

Killing Joke is before Death in the Family.

Year Two is no longer cannon (not that it's in the list) but I think Year Three is still relevant and if memories serves a pretty good read.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 3
RE: Batman Chronology - 25/6/2010 5:07:05 PM   
Vadersville

Cheers! Just added the Superman/Batman ones and Final Crisis at my mate's suggestion. I didn't realise there was a Year Three book, I did read that Year Two: Fear the Reaper was no longer canon. Is Arkham Asylum considered canon do you know?

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 4
RE: Batman Chronology - 25/6/2010 5:39:56 PM   
Olaf

Arkham Asylum isn't canon if I recall correctly (still amazing though). There are some pretty extreme depictions of established characters, and I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison said the Batman depicted in AA is just for that book.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5
RE: Batman Chronology - 25/6/2010 8:29:29 PM   
Vadersville

Ah right. I've still yet to read it. Heard nothing but great things though. Another friend of mine insists that Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is canon but I keep telling him it isn't nor was it ever meant to be, despite being an excellent Batman story.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Batman Chronology - 29/6/2010 6:13:46 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Oooh this is really helpful, thanks!

Would I be right in thinking the Modern Era batman re-tell the first year of Batman's existence and how he came to be? I'm sure I was told that once.

DC's archive editions are much harder to follow than Marvel's, which is a bit of a pain.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 7
RE: Batman Chronology - 30/6/2010 7:45:24 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Would I be right in thinking the Modern Era batman re-tell the first year of Batman's existence and how he came to be? I'm sure I was told that once.

DC's archive editions are much harder to follow than Marvel's, which is a bit of a pain.

Yeah, pretty much. Batman Year One retold the origin of Batman (a massive inspiration on Batman Begins) and then all the modern era stories follow that, not necessarily in the right order though, which is why I've tried to put up a chronology for all the canon stories. There are also loads of stories not considered canon which I guess would be called Modern, like the Elsewhere stories and so on. I think the Batman stories before the modern era are now referred to have happened in a parallel world, Earth II I think. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 8
RE: Batman Chronology - 30/6/2010 7:49:21 AM   
Vadersville

By the way, does anyone know which of the Blackest Night titles fit into the Batman story, I haven't read them myself but heard there was some pretty big revelations in there regarding Grant Morrison's ongoing Batman arc.

Post #: 9
RE: Batman Chronology - 30/6/2010 12:53:08 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Yeah, pretty much. Batman Year One retold the origin of Batman (a massive inspiration on Batman Begins) and then all the modern era stories follow that, not necessarily in the right order though, which is why I've tried to put up a chronology for all the canon stories. There are also loads of stories not considered canon which I guess would be called Modern, like the Elsewhere stories and so on. I think the Batman stories before the modern era are now referred to have happened in a parallel world, Earth II I think. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It's actually never really been explicitly clarified to be honest. With the more outlandish story the general trend seems to be "let's forget they ever happened" but Morrison has been referencing them and giving them a credibility that they never really had. On the other side of things some of the stories prior to year one are very much cannon. That is unfortunately the big problem with DC - the continuity is all over the place.

As for Blackest Night; in my opinion there's nothing there that has too much of an impact on Morrison's run but I might be remembering it wrong.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 10
RE: Batman Chronology - 30/6/2010 6:09:24 PM   
Vadersville

My bad, it appears Earth One is the universe where the older stories are apparnelty set, we are now on New Earth in the modern era.

Clicky

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 11
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/7/2010 1:48:45 PM   
Rob

quote:

My bad, it appears Earth One is the universe where the older stories are apparnelty set, we are now on New Earth in the modern era.

Clicky

BUT Batman Year One took place on Earth One and events subsequent to Infinite Crisis take place on New Earth! However, the differences between Earth 1 and New Earth are minimal as far as Batman's concerned with the only change being that on New Earth Joe Chill was arrested for killing Bruce's Parent's and on Earth 1 he wasn't.....

....well that's not strictly true because originally on Earth 1 he was arrested before the events of Zero Hour changed that and were then changed back after Infinite Crisis!

To make it easier New Earth and Earth One are the same place as far as Batman continuity is concerned!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(Earth-Two)

< Message edited by Rob -- 1/7/2010 1:50:26 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/7/2010 5:43:00 PM   
Vadersville

Ahh my head hurts. I thought I had it sussed. To be honest I'm only really interested in Batman non of the other DC stuff although I do like it when Supes pops up now and then like in Hush, and I enjoyed Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. I'm just curious with Blackest Night because whilst I was told it's primarily a Green Lantern story, it apparently deals with the aftermath of Bruce's "death" on the superheo community and my copy of Batman Reborn says that the next story is Blackest Night before Batman vs Robin. Plus, doesn't Bruce's bats pop up in the Blackest Night Wonder Woman series or something?

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 13
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/7/2010 5:56:57 PM   
sanchia

There is a definite reveal in Blackest Night although it is covered in a few pages of the story.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 14
RE: Batman Chronology - 1/7/2010 10:28:40 PM   
Vadersville

Really? Without saying what it is, can you tell me which one it's in?

Is Nightwing: Year One canon?

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 1/7/2010 10:34:23 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: Batman Chronology - 2/7/2010 10:16:49 AM   
sanchia

To be honest it is littered throughout. I remember there was something relating to Batman in the first issue of Blackest Night and I think there is a mention in the second issue as well. It is just a frame here and a frame there but overall they do play a part in the Batman story.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 16
RE: Batman Chronology - 4/7/2010 10:52:26 AM   
Vadersville

Just finished reading The Black Glove (Yeah, I'm a little behind; and forwards actually since I've read Batman Reborn), so am I right in thinking that Grant Morrison is now saying that all the old wierd, camp and sci-fi stories before the modern era were Bruce hallucinating?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 17
RE: Batman Chronology - 5/7/2010 1:43:11 PM   
Rob

Pretty much. They were as a result of his time in the isolation chamber experiment.

However, I'm not sure about the whole Zur En Arrh Batman. It says in the article below that it was a trigger phrase implanted by Dr Hurt. Does that mean that Bruce created him as a back up in case Hurt used the phrase?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zur-En-Arrh

Post #: 18
RE: Batman Chronology - 5/7/2010 3:02:49 PM   
Vadersville

No clue, haven't read Batman R.I.P. yet. Or Final Crisis, or Battle for the Cowl. Although strictly speaking its not all my fault, they have released some in the wrong order. I mean yes, The Black Glove and RIP have been out for awhile now but they've just released Batman Reborn and we're still waiting on a UK release for Final Crisis and Battle for the Cowl. 

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 19
RE: Batman Chronology - 5/7/2010 5:21:15 PM   
Vadersville

One question I do have though, when did Gordon become Comissoner again? In Hush he says hes retired but in The Black Glove and Batman Reborn he's back as comissioner...

Post #: 20
RE: Batman Chronology - 6/7/2010 1:15:20 PM   
energoncube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Pretty much. They were as a result of his time in the isolation chamber experiment.

However, I'm not sure about the whole Zur En Arrh Batman. It says in the article below that it was a trigger phrase implanted by Dr Hurt. Does that mean that Bruce created him as a back up in case Hurt used the phrase?

Thats the impression I got when reading RIP.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 21
RE: Batman Chronology - 5/9/2010 8:03:34 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I just bought Year One and Long Halloween. A lot of the books on the list seem to be discontinued online.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to energoncube)
Post #: 22
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/9/2010 11:13:28 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: energoncube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Thats the impression I got when reading RIP.

Jus finished RIP and I also took it meaning that the Zur En Arrh Batman was created by Bruce as a back up personality in case of psychological attack.

Post #: 23
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/9/2010 12:31:39 PM   
energoncube

Batman thinks of everything.

Post #: 24
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/9/2010 3:51:27 PM   
Vadersville

I'm still at a loss as to who the Doctor Hurt / Thomas Wayne imposter was though. I've heard many a crazy theory about it actually being a personifcation of the Devil...

Clicky

Post #: 25
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/9/2010 4:53:51 PM   
energoncube

Well hopefully we'll find out soon enough -he's still doing his thang in the pages of Batman & Robin!

Post #: 26
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/9/2010 4:54:58 PM   
Vadersville

Also just read Blackest Night Batman and Wonder Woman. I liked that Diana was secretly in love with Bruce and now feels regret that she never told him but from what I've heard most fans hate this pairing. Anyone else read it?

Post #: 27
RE: Batman Chronology - 13/9/2010 11:59:15 AM   
britesparc

quote:

I'm still at a loss as to who the Doctor Hurt / Thomas Wayne imposter was though. I've heard many a crazy theory about it actually being a personifcation of the Devil...

Clicky

Regarding Zur-En-Arrh, it basically works like this...

Pretty much the last thing Bruce's dad said before he was shot, was that if Zorro existed nowadays, he'd be thrown in Arkham, so the phrase "Zorro in Arkham" was obviously in Bruce's head as they died (it's inferred in RIP that Hurt arranged for their deaths). 

One day, early in his Batman career, he's gassed by a villain and hallucinates a world where he is basically Superman, and another guy is Batman, "the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh”.  Later, he undergoes solitary deprivation experiments under Dr Hurt, who detects the Zur-En-Arrh phrase in his subconscious and turns it into a trigger phrase.  Then, ten years later, when he launches his "RIP” attack, he uses that phrase to knock Batman out.  But what it does, unknown to Hurt (I believe), is knock Bruce out, leaving the raw "Batman of Zur-En-Arrh”.

As for who Hurt is, if he’s not the Devil, he’s either a 200-year-old Satanist, or possibly some kind of hyper-creature unleashed by Darkseid… it’s all in Batman & Robin and the “Lost Chapter” of RIP in Batman issues 701-702.

If you've just read RIP for the first time, I strongly recommend reading Batman & Robin.  Hurt is currently trying to destroy the current Batman & Robin, whilst Bruce makes his way back to the present to sort it all out.

There are several clues in RIP that actually point towards the Return of Bruce Wayne: I've been re-reading it this week. 

< Message edited by britesparc -- 13/9/2010 12:01:48 PM >

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Post #: 28
RE: Batman Chronology - 30/10/2010 1:59:30 AM   
Vadersville

Just updated the list. I'm thinking of reading of Arkham Reborn as my next new Batman graphic novel. Has anybody else read it?Any good?

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 29
RE: Batman Chronology - 12/1/2011 12:58:56 AM   
Vadersville

I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get my hands on a copy of Batman Prey do they?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Batman Chronology Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI