Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The XBox Kinect Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The XBox Kinect Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The XBox Kinect Thread - 15/6/2010 5:15:18 PM   
DJ Satan

The future is almost here!

Mods: You can unsticky the Wii thread now.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!
Post #: 1
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 15/6/2010 5:16:10 PM   
DJ Satan

Here's the list of launch titles.

• Motion Sports (Ubisoft): Various sports mini-games and the like.
  • EA Sports Active 2 (Electronic Arts): A sequel to the popular Wii personal trainer.
  • Dance Central (Harmonix/MTV Games): If Rock Band and the Wii's Just Dance had a baby.
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Ubisoft): A different personal trainer than EA's.
  • Kinectimals (Frontier Studios/Microsoft): Play with animals. (Something for my daughter! ...ok, and me. I totally want to pet a tiger.)
  • Kinect Sports (Rare/Microsoft): Like Motion Sports, but different.
  • Kinect Joy Ride (BigPark/Microsoft): No longer free and now a Kinect title.
  • Kinect Adventures (Microsoft): More mini-game business, but adventure-y.
  • Zumba Fitness (Majesco): Zumba is a Latin dance infused fitness program. I know this only because my wife takes the class and insists on telling me about it.
  • Game Party: In Motion (Warner Bros. Interactive): Another title in the mini-game series after a trilogy on the Wii.
  • The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (THQ): Yet another personal trainer. I think they're calling us fat.
  • Adrenalin Misfits (Konami): Another sports mini-game title... but more extreme! Maybe.
  • Dance Masters (Konami): Another dance title. I guess Konami can't think of anything original.
  • Sonic Free Riders (SEGA): The Sonic hoverboarding game redefined.
  • Deca Sports Freedom (Hudson Soft): For good measure, one more sports mini-game title.
In additional to this extensive launch list, three other games have been announced as well:
  • Star Wars (working title) (LucasArts): Lightsaber battles. 'Nuff said.
  • Child of Eden (Q Entertainment/Ubisoft): By the guy who made Rez comes a spiritual successor. (Note: Ubisoft has not been decided if this will be a retail or XBLA title yet.)
  • Michael Jackson: The Game (Ubisoft): After making millions with the Wii's Just Dance, Ubisoft decides to take it a step further and capitalize on the King of Pop.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 2
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 15/6/2010 5:16:55 PM   
Xanxiani

Can we start calling it the Xbox 36Wii now?

"But there's no sense crying
Over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
Till you run out of cake."

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 3
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 9:01:30 AM   
Rod Hull

Love the look of Kinectimals and Dance Central. If Kinect Sports can actually mirror what you're gesturing rather than the wolly approximations of Wii Sports then I'm definitely sold on that.

Not with the pastry!

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 4
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 9:09:50 AM   
jinks

The only game that's grabbing me on the Kinect is the Star Wars one, the rest i can get similar cheaper versions on the Wii.

So far, i'm just not THAT excited about Kinect (prefered it when it was called Natal)

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 5
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 10:03:40 AM   
robwillphill

Well, Microsoft are really hyping this up (like never before), but is it really that good?

From the promo videos, I'm not really that interested. Looks like a really advanced Wii - which is still bad because I get bored with motion capture games extremely quickly.

To be honest, I'm happy with just Call of Duty and Bioshock - with a controller.

Who is sad enough to flail around whilst 'playing' a game? Who is sad enough to be part of this really boring CGI world with their CGI 'friend'?

I'm sure this is the next step towards something bigger, but this is like 'Beowolf' - the technology wasn't quite there, but now it is; and the film was rubbish because of that 'development' stage. I feel the Xbox 360 Kinect will be what 'Beowolf' was for CGI films.

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 6
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 10:59:40 AM   
HIM

The tech is good, but the games demoed were complete gash. Mini-games, dance games and personal trainers; not what I spent £250 on an Elite for and not something that's going to make me go out and spend another £100+ on Kinect.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 7
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 12:10:09 PM   
Rod Hull

quote:

ORIGINAL: robwillphill

Who is sad enough to flail around whilst 'playing' a game?

I'm flailing my arms around to indicate my "sadness".

Not with the pastry!

Post #: 8
RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 12:20:20 PM   
Scabby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Here's the list of launch titles.

• The Biggest Loser

• Anyone who's prepared to pay for this tat.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 9
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:03:52 PM   
    jinks

The 100 quid for it is a bit too pricey, here in Ireland it'll probably be around 120-130 euros (give or take). However if it was priced; based on what the PS2's Eye-Toy was (i think about 40quid) then it'll seem a whole lot more attractive. As it stands, over-priced with very little incentive to warrent even thinking about possibly maybe purchasing it.

To me this just seems a dissapointment, overly familiar style games with no real standouts (s'all been done before). Sure it could all change over time, with some failry decent functionality with bigger games, but as it stands.....meh.

(in reply to Scabby)
    Post #: 10
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:10:50 PM   
    borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: robwillphill

Who is sad enough to flail around whilst 'playing' a game? Who is sad enough to be part of this really boring CGI world with their CGI 'friend'?

Me, my wife and two kids.

It will depend on pricing but the Borstal house will more than likely be getting it. I dont think its for the hardcore crowd but who knows? Some savvy dev team may produce something wonderful. I was super optimistic during the Wii build up to launch but was really heavily let down by it. This time its different. Its an add-on. Hopefully games wont be developed that feel compelled to use Kinect just because its there.

I may look like a plank moving around the living room but less so than if I was waving a couple of bright sex toys about. Thats for the bedroom.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
    http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 11
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:11:08 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

The 100 quid for it is a bit too pricey, here in Ireland it'll probably be around 120-130 euros (give or take). However if it was priced; based on what the PS2's Eye-Toy was (i think about 40quid) then it'll seem a whole lot more attractive. As it stands, over-priced with very little incentive to warrent even thinking about possibly maybe purchasing it.

To me this just seems a dissapointment, overly familiar style games with no real standouts (s'all been done before). Sure it could all change over time, with some failry decent functionality with bigger games, but as it stands.....meh.

No price has been announced, MS came out and said the £100 price mark being quoted is pure speculation, people really need to stop jumping the gun.

Also is £100 expensive? As I have said previously, how many Kinects do you need for 4 people to play? 1. How many Wii motes and Nunchucks or PS Moves and PS Move Nunchucks do you need for 4 people to play? 4 of each. Then you need Wii Motion Plus now for Wii. So how much is a Wii Mote and Nunchuck? £32.99 and £17.99 RRP. How much is the PS Move and Nunchuck per pair?

Sorry but Kinect is actually looking pretty cheap at the speculative £100, it could cost less yet also.

If we are to compare though for four people to play on a Wii it costs £203.92 or if they want to play Wii Sports Resort which requires motion plus.... £295.88

Now which is ridiculously expensive?

EDIT - PS Move hasn't had UK prices announced but in the US $49.99 for Wand $29.99 Navigation controller and we know the PS Eye which you also need costs £24.99. We also know game prices tend to just have the currency symbol replaced rather than the price being converted.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 16/6/2010 1:18:49 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
    Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to jinks)
    Post #: 12
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:34:10 PM   
    HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

No price has been announced, MS came out and said the £100 price mark being quoted is pure speculation, people really need to stop jumping the gun.

Well in a straight conversion it works out as £101.59. You of all people (Apple fanboy ) know that we always pay more than the straight conversion due to tax and what not. So the £100 price point people are saying is actually a little on the cheap side. It'll probably end up around £129.99, maybe more.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
    Post #: 13
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:36:30 PM   
    Scabby

I would agree about Move being equally as expensive perhaps. I would disagree about the Wii, though. Being such the huge success that it is, any get together I have been to that involves the Wii has friends bringing their own controllers. That's the kind of social experience that the console has always delivered and people have bought into. So, most people only pay out the intial £175 and they get a Wiimote, Chuck and MotionPlus and only ever need that. I think you're underestimating the huge number of gamers who own a Wii and who Kinect and Move are aimed at. So, basically, Move may actually be cheaper for some than Kinect.

Post #: 14
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:38:50 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

Well in a straight conversion it works out as £101.59. You of all people (Apple fanboy ) know that we always pay more than the straight conversion due to tax and what not. So the £100 price point people are saying is actually a little on the cheap side. It'll probably end up around £129.99, maybe more.

Conversion from what? No price has been announced, it's pure speculation....

(in reply to HIM)
    Post #: 15
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:42:10 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

Sorry Scabby but you're over estimating there.

When me and/or the other half have friends round for a few drinks we don't ask them to bring their Wii Motes, if we end up playing on it, it's impromptu and we'll use the kit we own, why would we get them to bring their remotes round? We're not kids going round to play at a mates. Same with the like of Rock Band, I don't just buy a guitar or Mic and then expect my friends to bring round drums etc. I own the full kit.

Lets step back and see what happens also if your friends don't have a Wii or Playstation, and you only own the one set, how do you play multiplayer then? It's an expense simple as.

(in reply to Scabby)
    Post #: 16
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:42:12 PM   
    DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

Conversion from what? No prices have been announced.

(in reply to HIM)
    Post #: 17
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:44:10 PM   
    DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

I would agree about Move being equally as expensive perhaps. I would disagree about the Wii, though. Being such the huge success that it is, any get together I have been to that involves the Wii has friends bringing their own controllers. That's the kind of social experience that the console has always delivered and people have bought into. So, most people only pay out the intial £175 and they get a Wiimote, Chuck and MotionPlus and only ever need that. I think you're underestimating the huge number of gamers who own a Wii and who Kinect and Move are aimed at. So, basically, Move may actually be cheaper for some than Kinect.

See Borstal's example. One family - 4 controllers.

(in reply to Scabby)
    Post #: 18
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:45:55 PM   
    HIM

quote:

They announced it would be $150 at E3. And a bundle with the new Xbox for $299.

Post #: 19
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:47:05 PM   
    DJ Satan

SHP - Stop beating me to my replies! 

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 20
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:47:07 PM   
    Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

They announced it would be $150 at E3. And a bundle with the new Xbox for $299.

Find a link please because I don't see why Aaron Greenberg would come out and say the price was speculative if it was MS who announced it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/greenberg-kinect-pricing-purely-speculative

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 16/6/2010 1:48:50 PM >

(in reply to HIM)
    Post #: 21
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:49:05 PM   
    Scabby

quote:

Sorry Scabby but you're over estimating there.

When me and/or the other half have friends round for a few drinks we don't ask them to bring their Wii Motes, if we end up playing on it, it's impromptu and we'll use the kit we own, why would we get them to bring their remotes round? We're not kids going round to play at a mates. Same with the like of Rock Band, I don't just buy a guitar or Mic and then expect my friends to bring round drums etc. I own the full kit.

Lets step back and see what happens also if your friends don't have a Wii or Playstation, and you only own the one set, how do you play multiplayer then? It's an expense simple as.

Well, I do live in a fairly small town. Plus, a lot of Wii party titles only require one of two controllers that can be shared.

But the majority of the time - whether back at home, uni or where I live now - had people bringing over their controllers. It really wasn't much effort at all. They just bring a controller with them if they think we might play Wii. I'd agree about Rock Band, but then each individual instrument offers a different experience even with one person playing - so, it's not quite the same. Maybe you're friends just aren't organised?

Post #: 22
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:52:10 PM   
    Scabby

quote:

quote:

See Borstal's example. One family - 4 controllers.

That's a fair point. But as I said before, you can share controllers on a lot of titles, and other titles try to give you an option of control styles so you can refrain from buying MotionPlus, Chucks and even Wiimotes. Mario Kart offers the option to use the Gamecube controller for example, which some people have knocking around. Also the classic controller which was only retailing for around £15.

Sure, Borstal is one example. An example of a filthy rich bastard

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 23
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 1:54:55 PM   
    DJ Satan

How much would you pay?
    I would be happy to buy a £300 bundle with the new XBox.

(in reply to Scabby)
    Post #: 24
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:12:18 PM   
    SWOTBM

quote:

How much would you pay?
    I would be happy to buy a £300 bundle with the new XBox.

Since I'm thinking of picking up that new Xbox I would rather spend the extra £100 on an extra controller, Live subscription and some decent cheap games; Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo 3 etc. That to me is a better deal than simply the console and Kinect. 

Btw, is there any word on bundles (console bundles not Kinect bundles)?  Play only have the console listed

PSN: light_brigade
    Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 25
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:13:54 PM   
    kata

I like the potential of it.  I'm with others here, I'll probably be getting it as a family thing. 
    My GF already wants a Wii for Wii fit so I'm just gonna use that money to pick this up.  Everything else is just gravy.  Stuff like Kinectimals is going to be great for my son as he gets a bit older.

Outside of gaming it also has massive implications for PC interfaces, Education, Therapy and probably a shit load more stuff i can't think of.  I think in the grand scheme of things, MS are on to a winner.

XBL: GeneralLee79
    PSN: GeneralLee_UK
    Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 26
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:18:19 PM   
    DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Outside of gaming it also has massive implications for PC interfaces, Education, Therapy and probably a shit load more stuff i can't think of.  I think in the grand scheme of things, MS are on to a winner.

If the spiel from last year wasn't just hype MS have done something rather special. The money and man hours they put into developing this was way beyond anything academia could provide. They just had the will and money to make it happen.

(in reply to kata)
    Post #: 27
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:21:37 PM   
    borstal

quote:

Sure, Borstal is one example. An example of a filthy rich bastard

Ive been called both a bastard and filthy but have never been called rich.....my name is Paul.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
    http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Scabby)
    Post #: 28
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:25:38 PM   
    DJ Satan

Just reading the Wiki for Kinect, admittedly not the most reliable source admittedly. It mentions that Dev kits only went out 1 year ago. One year isn't a long time in gaming development terms so there is still plenty of time for more hardcore games to come out.

(in reply to borstal)
    Post #: 29
    RE: The XBox Kinect Thread - 16/6/2010 2:31:22 PM   
    Scabby

Honestly, I think Kinect has the potential to offer some great features that'll enhance the gaming experience. Currently, though, the line-up is just a poor mixture of party games featuring as much depth as a puddle. I can't deny that the prospect of barking orders at your troops in a COD-like title would be awesome. Perhaps movements could commands them as well. That's the type of intergration I'd like to see with the controller.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The XBox Kinect Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI