Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:11:02 PM   
Deviation

Yeah, but you pretty much hate everything. You're a film buff equivalent of Mullah Omar.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 28/8/2012 2:13:46 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 91
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:15:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Not me, not me, not me!!!

I thought Fast 4 was a laugh so was actually looking forward to Fast 5. I was late to the party with ROTPOTA, the first trailer I saw (which was the theatrical trailer) looked great so I was really looking forward to it from my first exposure to it.

I enjoyed them both as well.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 92
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:18:19 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Yeah, but you pretty much hate everything. You're a film buff equivalent of Mullah Omar.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 93
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:18:52 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The prosecution rests, your honour!

Precisely.

Someone clearly didn't spot that "Ha-I've-Got-You!" observation and pre-emptive remark about being quoted out of context. I can't believe someone actually went to the bother of digging up that quote. Actually, I can. Take him down...

For the record and the benefit of point-scoring pedants everywhere, while I am not optimistic about the imminent Robocop and Starship Troopers remakes, I am curious and prepared to give them a chance. Robocop was so of its time (a satirical relic now of the 80s/Reagan era it so mercilessly skewered) that maybe now is a good time to satirically revisit themes of political corruption, economic meltdown and media excess - the internet, say! And while I think Verhoeven's Shtarship Troopersh is well nigh impossible to beat as satire (hilariously, even the plastic, 90210 cast were oblivious to the fact they were playing NAZIs and the giant bugs were the "good guys"!) I'm sure the jump suits will look cool if nothing else. And as someone just said, who thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes would be any good? The benefit of lowered expectations...?

There. Nitpick that!

(I'll save you the bother. There is a world of difference between not getting your hopes up and baldly predicting "this film WILL suck!")

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 28/8/2012 2:31:39 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 94
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:33:32 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

Awwwwwww...!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 95
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:35:26 PM   
elab49

It'd work better if the dog then sat on the annoying swatting kitten but I think the look of weary disdain is good enough. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 96
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:38:56 PM   
chris kilby

Worthy of The Great Oliver Hardy himself, that look askance to the camera...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 28/8/2012 2:39:27 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 97
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:41:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

How many people here pre-judged Fast Five and Rise of the Planet of the Apes negatively before release?

Well exactly. And Star Trek.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 98
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:43:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The prosecution rests, your honour!

Precisely.

Someone clearly didn't spot that "Ha-I've-Got-You!" observation and pre-emptive remark about being quoted out of context. I can't believe someone actually went to the bother of digging up that quote. Actually, I can. Take him down...

For the record and the benefit of point-scoring pedants everywhere, while I am not optimistic about the imminent Robocop and Starship Troopers remakes, I am curious and prepared to give them a chance. Robocop was so of its time (a satirical relic now of the 80s/Reagan era it so mercilessly skewered) that maybe now is a good time to satirically revisit themes of political corruption, economic meltdown and media excess - the internet, say! And while I think Verhoeven's Shtarship Troopersh is well nigh impossible to beat as satire (hilariously, even the plastic, 90210 cast were oblivious to the fact they were playing NAZIs and the giant bugs were the "good guys"!) I'm sure the jump suits will look cool if nothing else. And as someone just said, who thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes would be any good? The benefit of lowered expectations...?

There. Nitpick that!

(I'll save you the bother. There is a world of difference between not getting your hopes up and baldly predicting "this film WILL suck!")

The point is - you do pre-judge. We all pre-judge. And isn't it great when those judgements turn out to be wrong? It has happened countless times to me, and sadly, in a few cases the movie expected was the movie I got.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 99
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:50:36 PM   
Deviation

The Robocop remake backlash is a bit unfair, it's made by a director who has made two (out of three, with Elite Squad 2 being The Wire in two hours set in Brazil) excellent films in his CV and is as much an unorthodox choice for the film as Verhoeven was. It could be good, especially as Elite Squad 2 had three excellent action sequences and a hell load of politics going on, and it still did them superbly well.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 100
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:52:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

The Robocop remake backlash is a bit unfair, it's made by a director who has made two (out of three, with Elite Squad 2 being The Wire in two hours set in Brazil) excellent films in his CV and is as much an unorthodox choice for the film as Verhoeven was. It could be good, especially as Elite Squad 2 had three excellent action sequences and a hell load of politics going on, and it still did them superbly well.

This is my thinking - and also it is hardly like the Robocop franchise was any great success outside of the first film.

If two bad sequels, two kids shows, a live action kid friendly TV show and four really bad low budget TV movies couldn't destroy the first film, this remake won't affect it much either if it turns out bad.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 101
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:53:34 PM   
elab49

quote:

bit
quote:

Away and boil yer heid. IMO  Bus 74 is a very self-conscious doc, Elite Squad was dreadful. The only reason 2 was better was in comparison.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 102
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:55:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

bit
quote:

Away and boil yer heid. IMO  Bus 74 is a very self-conscious doc, Elite Squad was dreadful. The only reason 2 was better was in comparison.

You are speaking in Scots more and more elab. I am concerned you are morphing into Boaby.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:56:38 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

The Hobbit -

Looks absolutely dire is putting it mildly. As a huge fan of LotR this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of those films. Where's the darkness? Why is Aragorn son of Arathorn, Legolas and Sean Bean now a bunch of annoying dwarves and hobbits? Why is there jokes and dwarf 'comedy'?
Please do not give me the 'but it's a kids book and not LotR''. Make it an adult film then. Why put EXACTLY what's in the book on film. Have some balls and makes changes for a film adaptation of a book made 75 years ago.

But, erm, it is isn't it?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 104
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 2:59:10 PM   
Deviation

No, it was excellent Mullah, and I didn't even see the first. Bus 174 was also great.

Oh and The Wire comparison came more for their reach in the drug trade more than anything. One being a film and the other a tv series is obviously a big difference between the two.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 105
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:02:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

I never saw the City of Men tv series. Was it any good?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 106
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:02:21 PM   
elab49

quote:

No, it was excellent Mullah, and I didn't even see the first. Bus 174 was also great.

Oh and The Wire comparison came more for their reach in the drug trade more than anything. One being a film and the other a tv series is obviously a big difference between the two.

If you reference The Wire at least give it the credit of comparing it to something that tries to describe a city, a world - the state of a nation. Not an other drugs cop thingy because that just isn't The Wire. #stroppyhaton

I thought that phrase worked particularly well here though.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 107
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:11:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

If you reference The Wire at least give it the credit of comparing it to something that tries to describe a city, a world - the state of a nation. Not an other drugs cop thingy because that just isn't The Wire. #stroppyhaton

I thought that phrase worked particularly well here though.

Whether you think it does it succesfully or not, surely that was The Enemy Within's intentions though, not just the problem of BOPA or Nascimiento, but of Rio de Jainerio and Brazil's management on the whole, from corrupt cops, manipulating politicians and Rush Limbaughs to the favelas, and finally, the Brazilians themselves. Something which follows from the examination of Rio's slums in Bus 174.

I mean the whole theme of corruption can also found in The Raid, set in a country also notorious for its corruption.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 28/8/2012 3:14:29 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:13:50 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure a shallow attempt at giving nods to things has the same ambition, scale or intelligence. I honestly think it's a poor analogy that drags down The Wire and gives ES the sequel far more credit than it remotely deserves.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 109
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:14:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Haven't you been pre-judging Total Recall and Keith Lemon before seeing them?

Nope.

As for Keith Lemon... Well, I'd rather eat my own flesh than squander two of the precious hours I still have left on something which, on the balance of probabilities, I would be unlikely to enjoy. That was kind of a central point above - why waste time and money going to see something you simply know you won't like? Unless you're a masochist, or something.

I have no opinion one way or t'other about Keith Lemon: The Film. But it's reasonable to assume what to expect given his cretinous track record. My comments were about Leigh Francis. Who I know from bitter experience (geddit?) really is about as funny as the last series of Torchwood.

You say you don't pre-judge. Then you pre-judge.

Then you say you'd rather eat your own flesh than see Keith Lemon: The Film. Then you say you have no opinion one way or the other. (And the posts in the KL:TF review thread back this up...)

But, I'm one of the Unusual Suspects, so everything I say in genuine reply will get swept up in a "oh look, he's picking my posts apart" whine of suspiciously-interested disinterest. But you don't get wound up enough to post massive replies, so it's all gravy...

I really didn't have to nitpick your post. Everything was right there in one post, giving plenty of contradictory views.

I also don't see how me bemoaning a negative thread is different from you bemoaning a negative thread. Whether meant in jest or in the name of It's Only A Movie Light Hearted Japery or not, it's still a negative thread. And there have been so many of those recently it gets tiresome. Sure, my response in your thread was probably a little on the nose, but that happened to be the most recent in a spate of negative threads which is what inspired me to start the Reasons I Love Cinema thread.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 110
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:18:20 PM   
horribleives

Is Elite Squad the new Transformers 3 to The Wire's Citizen Kane?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:19:29 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 112
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:20:35 PM   
Deviation

But whether you think it was succesful or not, the comparison is still apt. This was a film whose reach was not just the drug trade, towards the half of the film that even changes to cable, but corruption featured in a city called Rio, in a nation of Brazil, in a world where countries like Brazil or Indonesia exist. Whether you think it is shallow and poorly-made or not doesn't mean that the comparison on both media's ambitions isn't apt. In this case, The Wire comparison for the second film is apt and not just just stamping it on any film that has drugs and a slight social conscience in it.

quote:

oh you

< Message edited by Deviation -- 28/8/2012 3:23:59 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 113
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:24:05 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Haven't you been pre-judging Total Recall and Keith Lemon before seeing them?

Nope.

As for Keith Lemon... Well, I'd rather eat my own flesh than squander two of the precious hours I still have left on something which, on the balance of probabilities, I would be unlikely to enjoy. That was kind of a central point above - why waste time and money going to see something you simply know you won't like? Unless you're a masochist, or something.

I have no opinion one way or t'other about Keith Lemon: The Film. But it's reasonable to assume what to expect given his cretinous track record. My comments were about Leigh Francis. Who I know from bitter experience (geddit?) really is about as funny as the last series of Torchwood.

You say you don't pre-judge. Then you pre-judge.

Then you say you'd rather eat your own flesh than see Keith Lemon: The Film. Then you say you have no opinion one way or the other. (And the posts in the KL:TF review thread back this up...)

But, I'm one of the Unusual Suspects, so everything I say in genuine reply will get swept up in a "oh look, he's picking my posts apart" whine of suspiciously-interested disinterest. But you don't get wound up enough to post massive replies, so it's all gravy...

I really didn't have to nitpick your post. Everything was right there in one post, giving plenty of contradictory views.

I also don't see how me bemoaning a negative thread is different from you bemoaning a negative thread. Whether meant in jest or in the name of It's Only A Movie Light Hearted Japery or not, it's still a negative thread. And there have been so many of those recently it gets tiresome. Sure, my response in your thread was probably a little on the nose, but that happened to be the most recent in a spate of negative threads which is what inspired me to start the Reasons I Love Cinema thread.

Although one could argue that his threads (the plot-holes one, the stealth remakes one, the continuity/anachronisms-or-whatever-it-was one) weren't negative therefore they don't count. Whereas this one is. So does. Etc.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 114
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:25:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The plot holes one was the one that I commented in-thread on, and that was pre-tty negative. Laboriously picking holes in films?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 115
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:27:58 PM   
horribleives

quote:

But whether you think it was succesful or not, the comparison is still apt. This was a film whose reach was not just the drug trade, towards the half of the film that even changes to cable, but corruption featured in a city called Rio, in a nation of Brazil, in a world where countries like Brazil or Indonesia exist. Whether you think it is shallow and poorly-made or not doesn't mean that the comparison on both media's ambitions isn't apt. In this case, The Wire comparison for the second film is apt and not just just stamping it on any film that has drugs and a slight social conscience in it.

I agree actually. I didn't think the Elite Squad films were entirely successful but I do think they shared similar intentions with Simon and co's series.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 116
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:31:56 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I agree actually. I didn't think the Elite Squad films were entirely successful but I do think they shared similar intentions with Simon and co's series.

I'm afraid I disagree with both of you on this.

I don't think it's right that any minor drug-related film that tries to show corruption gets compared to the best in the business at it. As an intellectual exercise it seems pointless as all you'll end up doing is comparing ES2 to something so superior it would surely undermine some of the enjoyment you might have had in it? 

quote:

Post #: 117
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:32:28 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

The Hobbit -

Looks absolutely dire is putting it mildly. As a huge fan of LotR this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of those films. Where's the darkness? Why is Aragorn son of Arathorn, Legolas and Sean Bean now a bunch of annoying dwarves and hobbits? Why is there jokes and dwarf 'comedy'?
Please do not give me the 'but it's a kids book and not LotR''. Make it an adult film then. Why put EXACTLY what's in the book on film. Have some balls and makes changes for a film adaptation of a book made 75 years ago.

And? Why should that stop a film being something entirely different?

I for one and pretty much everyone else doesn't want to watch a Middle Earth kids film.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 118
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:37:10 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The plot holes one was the one that I commented in-thread on, and that was pre-tty negative. Laboriously picking holes in films?

Pointing out a plothole isn't the same as picking a hole in a film. Film magazines/websites have been running similar features for years. It's kind of fun, and I'd be surprised if anyone thinks anything less of Back To The Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark as a result. Certainly not the various posters who were happy to contribute to that threadwhich, as it happens (imagine this...), inspired some interesting conversation (re: Bladerunner and Minority Report as I recall). I don't see this as being remotely similar to someone banging on about why they think a film that doesn't come out for months will be shite.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 28/8/2012 3:44:32 PM >

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 119
RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck - 28/8/2012 3:43:41 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Hobbit -

And? Why should that stop a film being something entirely different?

I for one and pretty much everyone else doesn't want to watch a Middle Earth kids film.

Erm, because the director and writer love the book and want to make a faithful adaptation of it? I can understand why you personally don't want to watch it (me neither to be honest as LOTR has never particularly floated my boat) but I'm baffled as to why you think the filmakers have a responsibility to completely alter what (I'm presuming) the fans of the book love about it in the first place.
Unless you just want a dead hobbit in the cellar?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Big anticipated films you predict will suck Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI