Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Norrington's Crow Gets Closer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Norrington's Crow Gets Closer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norrington's Crow Gets Closer - 2/6/2010 9:21:04 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 2/6/2010 9:21:04 AM   
Leeorami 2.0

A talking crow eh? Hmm...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Why? Seriously, why? - 2/6/2010 9:28:32 AM   
Marwood

This is destined to fail.

I like Norrington and the source material is great but so far all attempts to adapt aside from the original film have failed miserably with that shitty TV series and increasingly dire sequels.

The first film was fantastic and I'm struggling to see what the filmmakers can really add. Ok they can do a more literal adaptation but then what's the point? It worked for Sin City and 300 but The Crow has more to it than those stories; they were Frank Miller at his most superficial and empty.

I also can't shake the feeling that from a filmmaking point of view this will end up being neutered for a "wider" (read: young) audience and lose its poignancy and edge - no doubt the Twilight crowd will be targeted here as it's a supernatural story about love and revenge featuring a pale looking, sensitive man who prowls the night and wears makeup.

The first film isn't sacred or anything (nothing is in American cinema) but I really don't think they'll manage to adapt the material any better and this feels like a massive waste of time.

Post #: 3
- 2/6/2010 9:29:14 AM   
ongbakdan

a talking crow has been done before...have you seen Willow??

Post #: 4
Umm... - 2/6/2010 9:46:44 AM   
criderick

I'm curious about this. It's true Brandon Lee is The Crow. However, if it's not a remake and it's properly done, Why not? I wonder who'd play it. I can't but to imagine Johnny Depp. He'd be great, but let's wait for some more news.

Post #: 5
- 2/6/2010 11:20:47 AM   
Mr Grizzly

It's too orangey for crows!

Post #: 6
I think he is under-rated - 2/6/2010 11:28:11 AM   
reinhardt76

If he can do for The Crow what he did for Blade, it might be a surprise winner and with no Connery salary sinking the budget or (hopefully) studio interference.

Post #: 7
So, so, wrong in many ways. - 2/6/2010 12:00:45 PM   
dracman22

First I have to say I respect Stephen Norrington for what he has done in his career. With that said I think it's a very bad idea to remake a cult classic like The Crow. The movie means a lot to many people. It's one of those movies that have a place in many, many peoples hearts. Let's look at the track record Hollywood has with remakes, one word...HORRIBLE. You know they are going to CGI the hell out of it. The movie is going to be crap.

Post #: 8
Brandon Lee is The Crow! - 2/6/2010 12:01:19 PM   
Oliver Magrath

I’m sorry but there is no way this new film can compare to the original Crow and that is because of the immortal Brandon Lee. His tragic last performance was both captivating and was an assured pre cursor of great things to come to the late actor. There is simply no one no matter how talented who could possibly portray the character as well as Brandon did therefore this film is destined to fail.

Post #: 9
- 2/6/2010 12:13:48 PM   
GigoloJoe

I admit, I love the first film. Along with Dark City, it shows how great Alex Proyas can be when he isn't making generic action tosh with Wilhelm Schmidt. However, as a huge fan of the original graphic novel, I'd like to say that it is crying out (and if I've ever read a graphic novel that seemed to be crying out in my hands, that was it) for a proper adaptation. The original film was forced by circumstance to depart quite significantly from the story of the comic (though some changes had already been made early on), and the fact that it still managed to be really bloody good is a testament to the hard work and talent of everybody involved. And yes, we can all agree that Brandon Lee was superb in it. I enjoy the film every time I watch it, but there's nothing wrong with doing a proper adaptation to stand alongside it. It's not like we're talking another pointless Platinum Dunes remake here. O'Barr's original story has yet to be told, and it deserves to be (For the same reason I'm hoping someone will do another take on I Am Legend).

Post #: 10
Bale for the role - 2/6/2010 12:34:33 PM   
FOXYFOXY

I think Christian Bale would do a brilliant job as the crow.

Post #: 11
SHARLTO - 2/6/2010 12:49:25 PM   
Retroqqq

:)

Post #: 12
Does Hollywood have no more original ideas? - 2/6/2010 12:52:58 PM   
kevmccann

Why oh why can Hollywood not spend more time coming up with completely new movies instead of re-hashing perfectly good films which have gone before. The original Brandon Lee - The Crow was an immense masterpiece of combined acting and film making, it does not need re-booting as it will always be superior, brilliant and a cult classic - leave it alone! (Please) I mean what will you do next - reboot Blade Runner? Leave the classics, reboot the sh*te.

Post #: 13
jared leto anyone... - 2/6/2010 1:03:14 PM   
sarianlives

he has the physique of Eric from the comic, he is also a musician and can shred and sing... i think in the right hands he could completely relaunch his film career from what is admittedly a neverending self imposed hiatus...

plus he was amazing in Panic Room, and has the chops... maybe a hardass like Norrington could shape him into a new a-lister...

But thats just my two cents...
wat do y'all reckon?

Post #: 14
- 2/6/2010 1:42:01 PM   
HellBilly

Jason Statham as the Crow would work. It'd be Crank, only he's looking for his bird instead of his heart.

Post #: 15
- 2/6/2010 1:49:32 PM   
cheech84

the name that came to immediately when i read this was joseph gordon levitt but i think someone like sam riley could do a job, and my out there/left field choice would be takeshi kaneshiro.

Post #: 16
Squawking point - 2/6/2010 1:51:46 PM   
granny

Wouldnt call the original "an immense masterpiece".
Brandon was good but if anything Michael Wincott stole the show.
However, Norrington did Blade so this should be half decent. Jake Gyllenhaal would have been ideal before he took the Prince of Persia gig. Bale's too overexposed in this type of role.
James Franco maybe? Or if skewing younger, Aaron Johnson (though he's a bit too young)?

Post #: 17
Just leave it alone - 2/6/2010 2:27:35 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: granny

Wouldnt call the original "an immense masterpiece".
Brandon was good but if anything Michael Wincott stole the show.
However, Norrington did Blade so this should be half decent. Jake Gyllenhaal would have been ideal before he took the Prince of Persia gig. Bale's too overexposed in this type of role.
James Franco maybe? Or if skewing younger, Aaron Johnson (though he's a bit too young)?

To answer those:

1. Yes it is!
2. Bollocks did he - as good as he was I've never met anyone who thought that.
3. Blade's quite pants in places. No he wouldn't.  Not sure if that makes a difference to Hollywood but he'd be bobbins as usual anyway.
4. What the hell have you been smoking?

Why can't they just leave the fuck alone with rehashing great films. I have the graphic novel and the original doesn't deviate much from it and anyway O'barr helped with the screenplay and said that he couldn't imagine how it could be any better.

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to granny)
Post #: 18
- 2/6/2010 2:49:27 PM   
deheor

With Norrington in the chair I am willing to give this film a chance but I don't want to see any of the Twilight crowd showing up in the lead.

Post #: 19
Better Not Be History Repeating Itself - 2/6/2010 3:03:42 PM   
BenTramer

Let's hope producer Pressman doesn't do things on the cheap again this time. On the Brandon Lee version, the crew were being worked so hard, they were taking drugs to keep awake. They had no proper blank bullets on set, so stuntman Jeff Imada and another prop man made blanks from live rounds, which lead to the tragic, but preventable, accident that killed poor old Brandon Lee. Alex Proyas has never topped "The Crow", the visuals are still astonishing and it's well-written. Norrington is a bit of an asshole and will forever be remembered as the man who retired Sean Connery.

Post #: 20
RE: Better Not Be History Repeating Itself - 2/6/2010 3:59:29 PM   
UTB

As much as I love the film, it was ripe for remaking as soon as they spoiled it with a shite sequel. And then another one. And then another. 

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 21
RE: Just leave it alone - 2/6/2010 5:03:38 PM   
granny

@gordonsalive

My thoughts on The Crow are not statements of fact but opinion.  Wincott rocked and a 90 min NIN video with fighting in was no masterpiece. 

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 22
Ummm... - 2/6/2010 6:32:40 PM   
Lemure

I'm not a "goth" but I love the original and the idea of the director of Ghost Rider and LXG remaking it does not fill me with hope. That said, if they can get some three dimensional villains this time, it might just work. I'm filing this one under dubious.

Post #: 23
RE: Just leave it alone - 2/6/2010 6:33:54 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: granny

@gordonsalive

My thoughts on The Crow are not statements of fact but opinion.  Wincott rocked and a 90 min NIN video with fighting in was no masterpiece. 

Understood @Granny just your view and for reasons I won't go into I hold The Crow quite dear and was just a little peeved that there's yet another remake of a film that just does not need it - apologies for the abruptness, your right Wincott did rock but don't believe he outshone Lee.

Didn't watch any of the crap sequel's so they didn't spoil the original for me, couldn't see the point as the both the graphic novel and film, end with no space or need for one.

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to granny)
Post #: 24
I agree. - 2/6/2010 6:59:49 PM   
dgribble

I agree, they should leave the Crow, and not risk causing anymore damage, and insult to Brandon Lee's memory (though I've been smart enough to avoid watching the sequels). The Crow should have been left as a gothic masterpeice adapted from a great book, that Starred a great man in one of the most memorable screen (anti) heroes.
R.I.P Brandon Lee

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Norrington's Crow Gets Closer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI