Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

50 Greatest Videogame Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 50 Greatest Videogame Characters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
50 Greatest Videogame Characters - 26/5/2010 10:42:43 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: No. - 26/5/2010 10:59:33 AM   
The Todge

If you're gonna do this list some actual proper research might be in order.

Ryu Hayabusa did not first appear in Ninja Gaiden (1998)

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 2
RE: No. - 26/5/2010 11:42:54 AM   
the sangypange

i agree that was one of the worst lists empire has ever done, no one from Tekken, no only one character from street fighter, no one from Mass effect, no other final fantasy characters...this list just seemed wrong...

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151
Post #: 3
RE: This may be a frequent question but... - 26/5/2010 2:18:26 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: GuitarGal_China

who the FUDGE is Gordon Freeman?

Half-Life and Half-Life 2. He’s a cool character for sure but not number one. The combine would actually be higher for me. And Solid Snake would be my number one and he’s not even in the top ten here. Bobbins list…

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 4
RE: Perfect - 26/5/2010 3:12:34 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Damn, and I thought Twilight fanwhores were bad. Everyone's coming out of the woodwork today.
Post #: 5
RE: Missed out some beautys! - 26/5/2010 3:28:48 PM   
Helen OHara

Now the last time I played a game was Heroes of Karn on the Commodore 64 (it came on a cassette. Ask your parents what those are, kids), but it seems to me that there's a certain amount of tribalism going on here. The writers of this list are Empireites who have, through their lives, owned and played extensively on most of the games consoles going (as well, of course, as PCs and arcade games back in the day) and who know their onions.

I can assure you from personal unavoidable eavesdropping on the endless geeky discussions that preceded the creation of this list that no other polls were taken into account, and that the details of this running order were hammered out in house. You may very well accuse my colleagues of being geeky, bloody minded, nostalgic for the entire history of gaming to this point - but those of you accusing them of laziness, lack of knowledge or stupidity are way off base.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.
Post #: 6
RE: Not so sure - 26/5/2010 3:36:06 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Only people who have:

(a) lost their virginity
(b) owned a Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum
(c) broken several joysticks trying to play Daley Thompson's Decathlon
(d) their own house (or at least don't still live with mummy and daddy in a room strewn with crusty Kleenex)

Should have the right to comment on this thread.
Post #: 7
RE: Not so sure - 26/5/2010 4:03:32 PM   
waltham1979

No Dizzy Egg??? Heathans!!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 8
RE: Not so sure - 26/5/2010 4:12:24 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

Honestly, if you own a PC and haven't played titles like System Shock, Freespace 2 and Planescape then you're missing out on some of the greatest games ever devised. They're available for pennies! I shall hear no excuses!

Err...incompatibility with Vista/Windows 7? 
Nonsense! All three (and BG) work on 7 and Vista. I cleared out Beregost with Minsc, Edwin and the boys just the other night. - James

EDIT: Rockin' good news! I'll have to dig out my old copies of Baldur's Gate and Planescape again soon

Lucky I played them all back in the day - many an hour was wasted on the Sword Coast  

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 26/5/2010 6:22:38 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.
Post #: 9
RE: Not so sure - 26/5/2010 4:14:50 PM   
britesparc

It's as good a list as any, in that obviously I disagree with about half of it. But although Gordon would be my No. 2 behind Guybrush, I still can't really complain: it's nice to see him getting some love at the expense of more two dimensional but more famous heroes.

However, I am utterly astounded by the lack of Alyx Vance! The single most human, believable, and empathetic videogame character in the history of the medium! I'm currently playing Episode Three for the first time and the big near the beginning, well... I shrieked out loud.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Doesn't anyone remember? - 26/5/2010 5:22:08 PM   
sowasred2012

Fair play if the writers of this list are all gamers, but I don't see how you justify, of all the Resi Evil characters, MR X having the highest ranking out of a whole TWO from the entire series?

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012
Post #: 11
RE: Nerdiest, List, Ever! - 26/5/2010 5:47:21 PM   
James Dyer

Actually Hurdy, you voted for our best games list, which we ran some time ago. The characters here were all chosen by us. And while it's true that Empire is a film magazine, I can tell you now that some of us (myself included) have probably played more games than many of you have heard of. We wear anoraks of many colours here at Empire.

Whether you're upset that many entries are obscure (to you!),  raging that the obvious choices aren't high enough or incensed that every entry isn't from ('insert fanboy game franchise here'), we're very happy with the list we've put together. Sure, we had to leave out some legends but we got to include other, more worthy entrants as a result. If you haven't heard of some of the characters on the list - go out and get acquainted with them! Your gaming lives will be all the richer for it.

< Message edited by James Dyer -- 26/5/2010 5:52:59 PM >

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"
Post #: 12
RE: I Knew It - 26/5/2010 6:49:52 PM   
Invader_Ace

No Captain Falcon from F-Zero?!
Post #: 13
RE: Who? - 26/5/2010 9:22:08 PM   
raheel_88

I agree...I've just gone through the top 10 on my slow computer and was disgusted that Snake wasn't there!
Where exactly is he on the list?
Post #: 14
RE: correction... - 26/5/2010 10:09:04 PM   
dreamdragon

What! A film magizine didnt quiet get a games list right? The dam outrage! No Clive from rockstar ate my hampster! No James pond! Not even Rick Dangeroues.......but for me..the complete wrong doing here is an animinate object ...."The Door" from bubble bobble. Nothing ever got two young teenagers more happyier then blowing bubbes from thier blue and green headed monsters then the apperence of the dark door. Then would both forget about thier fruit lust and go for those great diamonds from within...
ow...and  Ryu should have been in thier...not Ken, the copy boy who lusted for the good life. No waterfalls,long walks or broodyness...dindt need a f*cking crow bar either..
Post #: 15
......... - 26/5/2010 10:34:51 PM   
doenutts

Where was Captian Price from COD MW 1 & 2???? A great Character if ever there was one
You cant say Ryu and not have Ken right next to him..........or at a pinch Sagat.

And i agree with previous posts, no one from Golden Axe, Final Fight, Alter Beast and where the F$%K WAS TOEJAM AND EARL, SHINOBI AND THAT OTHER NINJA FROM TENCHU???????  

< Message edited by doenutts -- 26/5/2010 10:36:51 PM >
Post #: 16
RE: - 27/5/2010 1:48:58 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: yayga monster

a new list shoud be made of good characters or at least recent ones

Worst. Post. Ever.
Post #: 17
RE: Nerdiest, List, Ever! - 27/5/2010 3:40:41 AM   
VincentWire

Also, if you wanted to play up the obscure then where the hell is Orochi or anyone from the most underrated game of all time, Okami? That's more a Miyazaki masterpiece than a game and it has characters that could easily fill half this list.
Post #: 18
RE: Not so sure - 27/5/2010 8:00:52 PM   
G MAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

Only people who have:

(a) lost their virginity
(b) owned a Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum
(c) broken several joysticks trying to play Daley Thompson's Decathlon
(d) their own house (or at least don't still live with mummy and daddy in a room strewn with crusty Kleenex)

Should have the right to comment on this thread.

Commodore 64? ZX Spectrum? Sorry but (in gaming terms) you're being an old fart, and I'll be 26 soon. Complaining about virgins while being a hardcore computer game player does sound like a contradiction in terms. I'm joking of course, as I'm hoping you are with your "room strewn with crusty Kleenex comment (honestly what an old joke, as if anyone doesn't flush their used tissues down the bog)

< Message edited by G MAN -- 27/5/2010 8:02:58 PM >

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 19
RE: Solve this Georgie... - 28/5/2010 12:12:49 AM   
Scabby

I wanted Tingle for #1. I'm still not allowed back in Empire Towers...

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.
Post #: 20
RE: Fail list of epic Fail. - 28/5/2010 12:53:21 PM   
miff666

It was a good list but only one grand theft auto caracter is abit of a joke and how about the dots in football manager, or Mrs Pacman
Post #: 21
RE: Worst list ever - 28/5/2010 1:28:11 PM   
spamandham

If being wrong on the internet was an olympic sport, empire would get a podium place every time. Half of these entries don't even have a character to rate; and judging by the voting ~3/4 of the voters are pre pubescent idiots without the faintest grasp of gaming knowledge/ history.  
Post #: 22
RE: Numero Uno should have gone to someone else... - 28/5/2010 3:29:11 PM   
spamandham

No JC Denton? No Kreia? WTF James

Post #: 23
RE: Lara Croft number 5?!!! - 29/5/2010 8:06:40 PM   
Deviation

GAWDDAMN IT EMPIRE ALWAYS SO WRONG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 24
RE: 50 Greatest Videogame Characters - 30/5/2010 7:26:21 PM   
dreamdragon

I dont understand...Really..I dont..Its a list. Someones list.
Everyone is so mad but no-one has put the time and effort into making a better one(With detial, not random).. I had a bit of a bitch and sticth when it first came out but now im over it. Write your own fucking list. If you made a comment, then you logged into Empire. If you logged into Empire then I guess your a fan. Stop being a cunt and just read the free reviews ....They  actually give you something to post about...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 25
RE: 50 Greatest Videogame Characters - 31/5/2010 4:41:42 PM   
Metalion

These many replies and no one has thought to mention the fact that Leisure Suit Larry Laffer himself isn't on this list?! About as big an outrage as having Gordon Freeman at no. 1. Sure, I think Half-Life is one of the all time greats and I love HL2 just as much, but Gordon Freeman is not by a long shot the greatest ever video game character.

"If that's how Kilgore fought the war I began to wonder what they really had against Kurtz. It wasn't just insanity and murder, there was enough of that to go around for everyone."

Post #: 26
RE: A good list but are you serious? - 31/5/2010 7:41:14 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: sophieliz90

Mario for one shouldn't be in there cause he's boring and childish.

This is possibly the stupidest comment I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum...

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 27
RE: 50 Greatest Videogame Characters - 1/6/2010 6:17:10 AM   
Devo__

Pretty damn good list. Some odd choices but overall interesting. Adorable to see the console kiddies squawk and squeal about the results. Seems like a few younguns are getting taken to school here, and they ain't happy about it.

A lot of people seem to be objecting to particular characters appearing in the list simply because they haven't heard of them. Unfortunately, this means you've simply been playing the wrong games: Just because you never saw Star Wars, doesn't mean Darth Vader isn't a great character. :D

I would've liked to have seen a Pyschonauts character make the list though, and as far as Planescape Torment goes, I'd have picked Morte over The Nameless One.

Post #: 28
RE: A good list but are you serious? - 3/6/2010 7:30:12 PM   
demon_jonzey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: sophieliz90

Mario for one shouldn't be in there cause he's boring and childish.

This is possibly the stupidest comment I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum...

that is absolutely hilarious ...

i'm not here to argue with the list, because it's just a list for fuck sake! what difference does it matter if the entire FF or Resi cast isn't in the list ... grow up you sad bunch of ignorant, infantile losers - can you not let someone else have a different opinion from yours?

and for all you outraged mario fans: mario may be the greatest gaming franchise of all time, but it doesn't make him the greatest character. it just means nintendo have done extremely well stretching his perfectly trimmed moustache over the decades (even into the Olympics, tennis, karting, golf etc etc).

well done empire!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 29
RE: 50 Greatest Videogame Characters - 3/6/2010 10:16:10 PM   
Joeball

Okay, 1 list, 7 pages of comments and not one mention of Riddick ?
No one here remembers Escape from Butcher Bay ?
Or do everyone here think that Riddicks only claim to fame is Pitch Black and the brilliant Chronicles ?

(in reply to Devo__)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 50 Greatest Videogame Characters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI