Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: John Carpenter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: John Carpenter Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: John Carpenter - 10/3/2006 2:49:21 PM   
manincrowd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: manincrowd

Assault on Precinct 13, They Live and Vampires were all let down by his music.  While his score for Halloween is creepy sometimes it can really spoil a film.  But heis a master storyteller.

They were good themes but overused and got too repetative by the end of the movie.  A big flaw of Carpenter's.

I strongly disagree with you on Assault On Precinct 13 - IMO, the score is phenomenal and serves as the pulse that gives the film much of its life. I couldn't imagine the film without it.

The scores for They Live and Vampires were pretty undistinguished.

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 181
RE: John Carpenter - 10/3/2006 9:15:03 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: manincrowd

They were good themes but overused and got too repetative by the end of the movie.  A big flaw of Carpenter's.

The genius lies in their simplicity.

(in reply to manincrowd)
Post #: 182
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 11/3/2006 9:23:54 PM   
im_just_killing_time

I think The Thing is a better horror movie than Alien because it is unashambly ugly whereas Alien tries to be beautiful.

Gothic horror is interesting but in my opinion you can't beat a film that tries to both horrify and terrify its audience as well.

The Thing does both things better than Alien whilst also managing to have one of the best endings in horror history, an ending rivalved only by Halloween. 

And with those two films under his belt Mr Carpenter doesnt even need to make good films any more.

It would be a waste of everyones time.    

DJB

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 183
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 11/3/2006 10:40:51 PM   
rich

Alien is not as good because in the end it's a guy in a suit, and that shot of it dangling by the harpoon from the escape shuttle at the end is terribly done. The Thing is flawless. You're probably right though, it would be nice to see some worthwhile new material but he's done enough.

(in reply to im_just_killing_time)
Post #: 184
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 11/3/2006 11:01:15 PM   
im_just_killing_time

I don't think the Thing is as good a film as Aliens but then again its pretty close in terms of the standard of special effects and acting.

Good music from both films as well.

DJB

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 185
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 11/3/2006 11:19:01 PM   
rich

You mean Alien or actually the sequel?

Post #: 186
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 12/3/2006 9:37:04 AM   
Mr.President

He has made some good movies, from starting a horror franchise in Halloween to a camp movie like They Live.
But his best movie is of course The Thing. Chasing the dog in the first scene gives a fantastic feel of the isolation and loneliness which are the main themes of the movie. The way he builds tension and suspence throughout the film is masterfull. He practiced with these themes in Assault on Precinct 13, but he perfected them in The Thing.

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 187
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 12/3/2006 2:08:15 PM   
stuartbannerman

As i look at my DVD collection, i have more John Carpenter films than i do any other director. That says something to me. . . . And for that I thank John for making so many entertaining films over the years.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to Mr.President)
Post #: 188
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 12/3/2006 2:44:39 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

As i look at my DVD collection, i have more John Carpenter films than i do any other director. That says something to me. . . . And for that I thank John for making so many entertaining films over the years.

It says "Stuart likes JC audio commentaries"

Looking at some of the discourse above, I though I'd chime in here. IMO, The Thing isn't as good as Alien, nor is it as influential - particularly in an aesthetic sense but even thematically, Alien is still the daddy when it comes to contemporary sci-fi/horror. I do think The Thing is better than Aliens, however.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 189
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 12/3/2006 6:15:39 PM   
Naweed_1

John carpenter and Kurt Russell are the B Movie eqiuvilant of De Niro and Scorsese.

Now, about this pickle we find ourselves in...

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 190
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 12/3/2006 10:57:31 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naweed_1

John carpenter and Kurt Russell are the B Movie eqiuvilant of De Niro and Scorsese.

Amen to that my sugar spun sister!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Naweed_1)
Post #: 191
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 13/3/2006 2:21:56 PM   
manincrowd

quote:

ORIGINAL: im_just_killing_time

I don't think the Thing is as good a film as Aliens but then again its pretty close in terms of the standard of special effects and acting.

Good music from both films as well.

I strongly disagree.  Alien was always influenced by Carpenter after him and Alien creator Dan O'Bannon worked togetehr on student film dark Star, which Alien borrowed heavily from.  Also, because of the success of Halloween, Ripley's character was changed from a man to a woman to capitalize on the concept of the "final girl."  And besides that, The Thing is one of the best ever horror films, far surpassing the original (how many films can claim that?)

Post #: 192
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 13/3/2006 3:37:58 PM   
rvd420

I feel that both the thing and alien are all-time classics.  I belive alien is slightly superior overall due to the calibre of acting by the entire cast. Saw AOP13 for the first time on saturday, what an awesome film!  I love the lack of dialogue and the fact that they don't get into any back story for the characters, with Carpenter it's all about the here and now. Oh, and of course, being a real man ;)

(in reply to manincrowd)
Post #: 193
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 13/3/2006 4:46:06 PM   
Mojo

Whether you believe his recent films have been terrible or not, his influence on modern horror films is clearly evident. Last night I watched the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, and although it borrowed heavily from the original film, it's score was pure John Carpenter and one of the best aspets of the film! Every time the hero theme kicked it, I was grinning and wanted to cheer at the screen. The opening sequence from Halloween (when we see the scene through Michael's eyes) was also referenced at the start of the horror remake as we see the scene from the point of view of one of the chemical investigators. This just shows that Carpenter is perhaps one of the most influential horror directors that there has ever been.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to rvd420)
Post #: 194
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 13/3/2006 5:36:42 PM   
stuartbannerman

If it wasnt for that pesky other Extra Terretrial taking over the screens in 1982, im sure The Thing would have made a larger impact at the Box office.
But would it still have become as much of a cult favourite as it has should it have made a fortune on the large screen?

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 195
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 13/3/2006 9:21:06 PM   
rich

It's got all the elements I guess, great lines and horrible moments, that guarentee a certain audience.

Post #: 196
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 15/3/2006 2:16:44 PM   
manincrowd

quote:

If it wasnt for that pesky other Extra Terretrial taking over the screens in 1982, im sure The Thing would have made a larger impact at the Box office.
But would it still have become as much of a cult favourite as it has should it have made a fortune on the large screen?

I'm glad it was a flop on release because now it belongs to horror fans, not mainstream audiences.  You'd be surprised how many people I know who have never even heard of it.

Post #: 197
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 15/3/2006 3:40:57 PM   
stuartbannerman

So here one for you. And its all down to personal opinion.
(might post this question in the other director threads to get debate going)

What are the three films that define John Carpenter to someone thats never seen any of his films?

My answer: Halloween, Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13.

(and your only allowed 3, if it was 4 id have said The Thing)

(in reply to manincrowd)
Post #: 198
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 15/3/2006 3:47:03 PM   
Companero

Close, mate. But Iíd go for The Thing over Escape From New York Ė itís a real standout film in that early cycle of Carpenters because of how bleak it is. But Iíd definitely pick Halloween and Assault On Precinct 13.

Post #: 199
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 17/3/2006 12:37:52 PM   
jaymib

John Carpenter is a great director. yeah, in the past 10 years he filming haven't been good. but he did being us really good films in the 70's and 80's that are now seen as classics sci-fi/horror/action, such films as halloween that change the way horror films where to be made and his remake of the thing is seen as beening better then the original. also his other great works are assault on precinct 13, which i really enjoy and of course escape from New York. also Carpenter bring his own great style to his films, with music is dose, which sets the mood of his films and the way his films has that kind of sub real feel to it and by making use of the camera by having a lack of dialogue and by using the scene to tell the story.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 200
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 17/3/2006 12:58:46 PM   
stuartbannerman

Carpenter is best when given total reign over his projects. When the studios start giving commands then we end up with Memoirs of an Invisible Man, when he is left alone we are treated to some of his best work.  Sure some of his recent projects(past decade) arent as impressive as his work of the 70s, but id rather he made films. Than didnt.

(in reply to jaymib)
Post #: 201
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 17/3/2006 2:35:23 PM   
manincrowd

quote:

My answer: Halloween, Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13.

Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing

Post #: 202
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 17/3/2006 7:32:59 PM   
rich

quote:

What are the three films that define John Carpenter to someone thats never seen any of his films?

The Thing, Escape from New York and Dark Star. Halloween may be the genre starting picture but the Thing is just so much better as a horror film. Escape from New York shows the other end of his work, without being ludicrous. I think it's good to see Dark Start and see how he started out if only it didn't ook so bloody awful

Post #: 203
RE: John Carpenter - 19/3/2006 12:52:15 PM   
Jimanio

JC, for me, defined the 80's. Not that I was a cinemagoer in the 80's! It has only been through VHS and DVD that I have witnessed the greatness of Carpenterism (making great films with sweat, care and what must have been limited budgets). The Thing is one of the best special effects films ever and along with Haloween, totally engrossing.
   But for some reason Big trouble in little China is his best. When it should have been rubbish! Thats what Carpenter does, make a dodgy concept great to watch.

It should be yes I can, as long as Frank Sinatra says so!

(in reply to manincrowd)
Post #: 204
RE: John Carpenter - 19/3/2006 5:58:08 PM   
stuartbannerman

I just wish he would indulge himself and make his great western and treat us all to the biggest smile on a film directors face for years.
The film watching world needs the John Carpenters, the David Cronenbergs and David Lynch's or we would suffer the bland, run of the milg CGI festering so called Blockbusters that we have seen way too many of these past decade.

(in reply to Jimanio)
Post #: 205
RE: John Carpenter - 20/3/2006 11:40:21 AM   
Battle Angel Ryan

Carpenter was responsible for some truly outstanding films right up until the late 80s then it went a little pear shaped.
I think it's kind of sad that a studio never gave him the freedom to do a massive blockbuster.
Imagine what he would have done with a Harry Potter or Batman film.

Post #: 206
RE: John Carpenter - 20/3/2006 12:07:30 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Battle Angel Ryan

I think it's kind of sad that a studio never gave him the freedom to do a massive blockbuster.

Believe it or not, Escape From LA had a $50m budget, which was pretty big back in 1996.

(in reply to Battle Angel Ryan)
Post #: 207
RE: John Carpenter - 20/3/2006 12:58:16 PM   
stuartbannerman

Escape from NY and Memoirs Of An Invisible Man are the 2 largest films that John has done. I much prefer him as a low budget film film maker. And if i recall i think John Carpenter has stated that he doesnt like working on Studio Films.

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 208
RE: John Carpenter - 20/3/2006 2:37:08 PM   
Companero

quote:

Escape from NY and Memoirs Of An Invisible Man are the 2 largest films that John has done. I much prefer him as a low budget film film maker. And if i recall i think John Carpenter has stated that he doesnt like working on Studio Films.

The thing is studio-financed productions just seem to throw money away, whereas low budget film-makers are forced to become a lot more creative in order to overcome the logistical problems they are faced with. Some of Carpenterís big budget films (Memoirs Of An Invisible Man and Escape From LA) are very lazy, IMO and would have been far better if they had been shot on a shoestring.

Post #: 209
RE: John Carpenter - 20/3/2006 2:47:48 PM   
stuartbannerman

Listening to the Halloween commentery and watching the documentary. Hearing how John and his crew ran around 'Haddonfield'(yes i know it wasnt really Haddonfield) with bags of painted leaves because it wasnt really autumn just proves how much they loved making movies. Fantastic!!!!!

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: John Carpenter Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI