Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: JOHN CARPENTER

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: JOHN CARPENTER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 17/2/2006 4:03:13 PM   
Companero

I really like Prince Of Darkness. The scene in which we see a vision of the future interrupt a TV broadcast as aabsolutely chilling. You see a dark figure emerge from the door to the church. I would go as far as to say that this is as effective a sequence as Carpenter has ever done.

(in reply to Silent Bob)
Post #: 61
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 8:30:07 AM   
stuartbannerman

I just hope that at some point soon John Carpenter is given the backing to re-team with Kurt Russell for the often talked about Escape From Earth.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 62
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 9:01:12 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

I just hope that at some point soon John Carpenter is given the backing to re-team with Kurt Russell for the often talked about Escape From Earth.

That would be brilliant! I think he needs to re-team with Kurt Russell for anything to be honest.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 63
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 12:16:35 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

Companero is right - that bit on the TV broadcast is scary as F**k, when I read the post the hairs stood up on the back of my neck (and I ain't no sissy) as I remembered watching it on late TV a few years back. I went back into my back catalogue and watched 'Christine' and 'They Live'.

I have to say, the music Carpenter and Alan Howarth composed for 'Christine' is every bit as good as Ennio Morricone did for 'The Thing'. Also, I'd forgotten just how foul-mouthed this film is, it was only 1983 and there's liberal use of the C-word. That goes to prove my point about Carpenter refusing to sway from the story and Stephen King's text.

'They Live' is a bit of a guilty pleasure and sort of marks the point where Carpenter was losing grip of the zeitgeist.

But in both folms, in glorious 2.35:1 widescreen you can really see the attention Carpenter pays to the framing and composition of his shots. Watch 'Christine' in crappy 4:3 when the foglights on the car spark up behind Buddy, full of lens flare and muggyness. Watch it in widecreen and it's like one of the alien ships in 'Close Encounters' emerging, filling the frame with light.

'The Thing' was and is an utter classic, I just hope to God no-one thinks to remake it (I have heard a horrible rumour Carpenter himself wants to 'revisit' it!). It'll be all done in CG and will, prdon the expression, be utter shite.

It's my way, or the highway...

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 64
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 2:39:00 PM   
Mojo

I recorded They Live off the Sci Fi channal last night, so I really look forward to watching it. I've never seen it!

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 65
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 7:50:14 PM   
stuartbannerman

They Live is a great film, cheesy, low budget, everything that a good B-Movie should be. And its a film thatll grown on you the more you watch it. . . . .Trivia: John Carpenter wrote this screenplay under the false name Frank Armitage

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 66
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 18/2/2006 10:05:48 PM   
Deepthinkerdan

Along with Stanley Kubrick John Carpenter is my favorite director, I disagree with the fact that he hasnt made a decent film in years.................In the mouth of madness was an excellent lovecraftian horror film, i enjoyed the kitch satire of Escape From LA, Vampires was good fun (largly down to James Woods) and................Ghosts Of Mars hmmmmmm

To my mind Carpenter was at his best during his Dean Cundy collaboration years, it was a case of director and director of photography hitting it offand complementing each others work. The best example of this is The Thing, argubly carpenters best film (by me anyway)  Low key lighting, superb tracking shots....technically superb!
The direction in The Thing is second to none (not to mention the script!) the sense of paranoia and clausrophobia created by the characters is almost unbearable..................The blood test scene has got to be one of the most famous scenes in cinema history, not just because of Rob Bottins special FX (though they are amazing) also its because of the way the scene is staged, shot and played out with utter intensity..........Absolute Genius! 

Bring on The 13th Apostle John!

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 67
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 9:07:44 AM   
Baby Bear

The Thing is a timeless film. The only bits that really date it are the graphics showing the absorbtion and the television show. The effects are superb, the story flawless,the direction second to none. Apart from Alien,how many other sci-fi horrors have such longevity?
Waits for flood of replies.........

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Deepthinkerdan)
Post #: 68
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 1:02:49 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

The Thing is a timeless film. The only bits that really date it are the graphics showing the absorbtion and the television show. The effects are superb, the story flawless,the direction second to none. Apart from Alien,how many other sci-fi horrors have such longevity?

Couldn't agree more; two of the greatest horror films ever made. Oh, and I love the graphics showing the absorbtion... they're great

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 69
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 6:02:39 PM   
NadaPlissken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

Couldn't agree more; two of the greatest horror films ever made. Oh, and I love the graphics showing the absorbtion... they're great

Totally agree there.  Alien and The Thing raised the bar forever for all sci-fi horror, and horror in general, and neither has ever been equalled.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 70
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 7:17:02 PM   
Deepthinkerdan

John Carpenters Cigarette Burns from Masters Of Horror is out on DVD on 13th of March, its also doubled with Stuart Gordons Dreams In The Witch House.

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 71
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 7:40:50 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Companero

The Thing is a great film and is certainly one of the more memorable films of the 80s but IMO, Halloween is Carpenter's best film.

Strangely, Halloween doesn't do a great deal for me. Perhaps I'd already seen too much horror before it and it's fairly good, but I can't call it a classic. The Thing just has such imeasurable atmosphere and tension.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 72
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 19/2/2006 8:53:54 PM   
stuartbannerman

Halloween is a classic because it came out of nowhere and changed the horror genre in the same way Romero's Night Of The Living Dead had done in the previous decade. Its also a financial classic because of its masive cost to profit ratio.
Plus its just a damn good film.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 73
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 20/2/2006 9:52:07 AM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

Halloween is a classic because it came out of nowhere and changed the horror genre in the same way Romero's Night Of The Living Dead had done in the previous decade. Its also a financial classic because of its masive cost to profit ratio.
Plus its just a damn good film.

Agreed - Halloween is a genre-defining film - it brought body count horror to the US and did it with style.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 74
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 10:03:16 AM   
whomas

i do honestly beleive him to be one of the best directors ever and halloween to be one of the greatest films ever made and next to the thing his best work. i think that if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have wes craven to do scream or friday the 13th he truely was a genre defining director and i believe he is very underrated.

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 75
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 10:38:55 AM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: whomas

i do honestly beleive him to be one of the best directors ever and halloween to be one of the greatest films ever made and next to the thing his best work. i think that if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have wes craven to do scream or friday the 13th he truely was a genre defining director and i believe he is very underrated.

In all fairness, Last House On The Left (1972) pre-dates Halloween (1978) by six years and was written and directed by Craven and Produced by Sean S Cunningham, who would later direct Friday The 13th.

While Last House On The Left is not a slasher film per se, it was certainly at the forefront of the cycle of independent horror films that became popular in the seventies and without it, it’s fair to say that there would have been no Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and in turn, Halloween.

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 76
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 2:04:55 PM   
whomas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: whomas

In all fairness, Last House On The Left (1972) pre-dates Halloween (1978) by six years and was written and directed by Craven and Produced by Sean S Cunningham, who would later direct Friday The 13th.

While Last House On The Left is not a slasher film per se, it was certainly at the forefront of the cycle of independent horror films that became popular in the seventies and without it, it's fair to say that there would have been no Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and in turn, Halloween.

fair point but i do think that halloween is alot better than both of those films but that is beside the point and the fact that carpenter is a better director imo,he did popularise the genre of the slasher the others didnt.last house is a more cult film and did not realy break into the mainstream.but i do think that the texas chainsaw did have a big part in the coming of the slasher film and deserves just as much creddit as halloween ithey are both masterpeices.

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 77
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 3:32:39 PM   
Companero

Halloween is a much better film than Last House On The Left and Carpenter a better filmmaker than Craven, which is all the more frustrating when you consider Craven is still banging out big films. The difference between the two is obvious. Had it not been for Scream, Craven would be in exactly the same predicament as Carpenter now. Scream definitely came out at the right time and was certainly a fresh script. Audiences were literally craving horror films as there had been something of a drought and Miramax couldn’t have released it at a better time.

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 78
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 3:36:47 PM   
cocknose

although the selection you provided shows genuine excellence, (can't comment on dark star as i haven't seen it) where is big trouble in little china? personally thats THE carpenter movie for me. kurt russell on top form and evil types with wash basket lids on, ace!!

Chuck Norris has 2 speeds. Walk and Kill

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 79
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 3:48:06 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: cocknose

although the selection you provided shows genuine excellence, (can't comment on dark star as i haven't seen it) where is big trouble in little china? personally thats THE carpenter movie for me. kurt russell on top form and evil types with wash basket lids on, ace!!

I think Big Trouble In Little China is a great, fun action flick. It just goes to show how intuitive Carpenter can be – who would have thought Hollywood would embrace Asian cinema the way it has, twenty years after Big Trouble flopped.

There’s so much to like about Big Trouble In Little China but the most enjoyable element was that it strived to be something different and it succeeded, IMO. Great film. Great Cinematography. Great score. And above all, a great central character in Jack Burton.

(in reply to cocknose)
Post #: 80
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 21/2/2006 4:30:32 PM   
whomas

quote:

Halloween is a much better film than Last House On The Left and Carpenter a better filmmaker than Craven, which is all the more frustrating when you consider Craven is still banging out big films. The difference between the two is obvious. Had it not been for Scream, Craven would be in exactly the same predicament as Carpenter now. Scream definitely came out at the right time and was certainly a fresh script. Audiences were literally craving horror films as there had been something of a drought and Miramax couldn't have released it at a better time.

im glad we agree.

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 81
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 22/2/2006 10:17:23 PM   
bub

The Thing is, in my opinion, the greatest film ever made. The use of open doors throughout the film gives a great sense of how they are in this vast space yet are totally trapped. The Thing has got everything a classic film needs. Except women, but who needs women when you've got head spiders?

(in reply to whomas)
Post #: 82
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 11:02:03 AM   
Silent Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

The Thing is, in my opinion, the greatest film ever made. The use of open doors throughout the film gives a great sense of how they are in this vast space yet are totally trapped. The Thing has got everything a classic film needs. Except women, but who needs women when you've got head spiders?

'The Thing' is a classic and if anyone needs confirmation of that status, they need look no further than 'The Faculty' which is virtually a remake, even down to the testing the blood scene!

It's a shame that Carpenter's film often referred to as a remake, when he created a more faithfull adaption of Joseph W Campbell's 'Who Goes There?' than Christian Nyby's 'The Thing from Another World'. The Nyby film dropped the shape changing thing thanks to 50's era effects not being capable of visualising such a creature.

This is my BOOM stick!

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 83
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 11:44:40 AM   
clownfoot

In many ways I don't think Carpenter has been given the credit he deserves for rejuvinating the 90's film industry...

Okay, bear with me for a moment.

Whilst the ending of Ringo Lam's City on Fire was the more obvious tribute in Reservoir Dogs, which a number of users have subsequently taken issue with, I find that Tarantino's synthesis of Carpenter's The Thing into his first movie a much more subtle one and it's incorporation is what makes Dog's the film that it is. A group of men stuck in one location, arguing amongst each other because one of them isn't who he says he is - sounds rather familiar doesn't it? The increasing paranoia and questioning of identities amongst the thieves hightens the tension until the big reveal, and whilst Tim Roth's Mr Orange (the veritable Thing in Dogs) doesn't rip off Mr White's arms with a set of teeth in his rib-cage, Tarantino owes a huge debt of gratitude to Carpenter's original ensemble troupe of bickering paranoid men for the thematic template of his first film.

This tells us two things. One, Tarantino knows his films. And two, Carpenter simply made an inspiriational film that, ten years after it's original release, simply inspired the ethos of intelligent character based film-making that gripped the nineties.

What do you mean the link is tenuous at best? 

Ungrateful bunch of nit-picking monkey's... 

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 23/2/2006 12:52:50 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Silent Bob)
Post #: 84
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 12:48:46 PM   
bub

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

In many ways I don't think Carpenter has been given the credit he deserves for rejuvinating the 90's film industry...

Whilst the ending of Ringo Lam's City on Fire was the more obvious tribute in Reservoir Dogs, which a number of users have subsequently taken issue with, I find that Tarantino's synthesis of Carpenter's The Thing into his first movie a much more subtle one and it's incorporation is what makes Dog's the film that it is. A group of men stuck in one location, arguing amongst each other because one of them isn't who he says he is - sounds rather familiar doesn't it? The increasing paranoia and questioning the identities amongst the thieves hightens the tension until the big reveal, and whilst Tim Roth's Mr Orange (the veritable Thing in Dogs) doesn't rip off Mr White's arms with a set of teeth in his rib-cage, Tarantino owes a huge debt of gratitude to Carpenter's original ensemble troupe of bickering paranoid men for the thematic template of his first film.

This tells us two things. Tarantino knows his films and Carpenter simply made an inspiriational film that, ten years after it's original release, simply inspired the ethos of intelligent character based film-making that gripped the nineties.

I've never made that connection. Thats bloody genius Clownfoot

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 85
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 1:43:42 PM   
stuartbannerman

To me, the ultimate years for John Carpenter films has to be 1976 - 1985 (Assault on Precinct 13, Escape From New York, Halloween , The Thing , Starman )
Not to say im not a fan of the films he has made in all the other years of his career. I just think that was him at the top of his game.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 86
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 2:12:24 PM   
Companero

quote:

Whilst the ending of Ringo Lam's City on Fire was the more obvious tribute in Reservoir Dogs, which a number of users have subsequently taken issue with, I find that Tarantino's synthesis of Carpenter's The Thing into his first movie a much more subtle one and it's incorporation is what makes Dog's the film that it is. A group of men stuck in one location, arguing amongst each other because one of them isn't who he says he is - sounds rather familiar doesn't it? The increasing paranoia and questioning of identities amongst the thieves hightens the tension until the big reveal, and whilst Tim Roth's Mr Orange (the veritable Thing in Dogs) doesn't rip off Mr White's arms with a set of teeth in his rib-cage, Tarantino owes a huge debt of gratitude to Carpenter's original ensemble troupe of bickering paranoid men for the thematic template of his first film.

This tells us two things. One, Tarantino knows his films. And two, Carpenter simply made an inspiriational film that, ten years after it's original release, simply inspired the ethos of intelligent character based film-making that gripped the nineties.

I do see the similarities, Clownfoot but surely Reservoir Dogs is as close to the classical structure of the whodunnit, as it is The Thing. Just take any number of Agatha Christie stories - usually set in a confined environment, has a group of people, slowly being killed off, one by one. One of their number is the killer. The paranoia ensues...

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 87
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 2:18:19 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

I do see the similarities, Clownfoot but surely Reservoir Dogs is as close to the classical structure of the whodunnit, as it is The Thing. Just take any number of Agatha Christie stories - usually set in a confined environment, has a group of people, slowly being killed off, one by one. One of their number is the killer. The paranoia ensues...

But that's not really as ridiculous a tenuous link now, is it?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Companero)
Post #: 88
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 5:59:38 PM   
NadaPlissken

There's no doubt The Thing is the benchmark for all character study thrillers or anything dealing with the issue of paranoia.  Along with Cronenbergs work, it also started the "body horror" genre.  There's nothing wrong with The Thing.  Everything about it is perfect. 

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 89
RE: JOHN CARPENTER - 23/2/2006 9:25:29 PM   
Companero

quote:

ORIGINAL: NadaPlissken

There's no doubt The Thing is the benchmark for all character study thrillers or anything dealing with the issue of paranoia. 

What about Don Siegel's Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, then? That said, The Thing has to be one of the most taught, paranoid and intelligent horror films to be financed by a major studio.

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: JOHN CARPENTER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI