Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ridiculously Overrated

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ridiculously Overrated Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ridiculously Overrated - 5/12/2010 1:09:24 PM   
blaud

I don't understand why there's so much hype surrounding the picture. It's seems like little more than a vehicle to get Cage back into gritty dramas. The problem isn't the acting either, as most of the cast do an amiable job. It's the fault of the nonexistent plot, the terrible set pieces, and the abominable script that screams 'cheese' from the word go. It's not a total write off, but this is nowhere near as good as the hype would have you believe

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Fun, Rewarding and Reliably Good. - 22/12/2010 2:31:28 PM   
Rich Empire

This was hands down one of my films of the year.
Along with all the extremeness it doesn't forget to have some fun.
Cage is a joy to watch and the rest of the cast back him up well in my opinion.
They really don't make many of 'em like this any more.

Post #: 32
- 27/3/2011 8:40:17 PM   
TheGodfather

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
Finally we can ditch the premise that Nicolas Cage can`t act. In Herzog`s 2 hour trip he finally proves otherwise and shows that he really can act. He gives a carreer-best performance. His creating of the excentric character Terence McDonagh fits perfectly into the messed-up world that Herzog brings to the screen. Those two things combined turn this into a very fine film with some wonderfull dark humour.

8,3/10

Post #: 33
RE: - 16/5/2011 9:45:04 AM   
brucejackiejet

Finally got round to seeing this on the weekend and was really looking forward to it. Have to say though - extremely disappointed. Despite only being just over 2 hours it seemed to go on forever, with about 5 different endings after which they decided to finally end it mid-scene!
Sure, maybe I didn't 'get it' and it was actually hilarious but to be honest there seems to be a fine line between a 'cult/arthouse' film and one that's just plain shit.
I know it was supposed to be a character study but after 2 hours I didn't feel like I knew Nic Cage's character or motivations at all. He seemingly goes from model cop to twisted drug addict via a simple '6 months later' slugline with no explanation of how he got there. Is he taking drugs for the pain? Is it for pleasure? Was he always corrupt or this a recent shift? How did he end up dating a prostitute? I think the whole film would have been a lot more interesting if it had focused on this 6 month period after his injury rather than what came after, showing us his gradual slide off the rails - that might have been an actual character piece.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 34
"thats attempted bribory" - 19/11/2011 8:39:38 PM   
Dirk Diggler 619

1st of all try and remember when Val Kilmer was actually in a good movie that wasn't a straight-to-DVD-movie...enough said this movie is one of the best films of the year it was made Herzog shines and Cage is at one of the peaks of his career in this movie......

Post #: 35
a bloody good film it is! - 8/1/2012 4:46:47 PM   
jordan thomas

Nic Cage has an amazing talent as an actor, he has those occasional films like this one which he does every once in a while ranging from Leaving Las Vegas, Red Rock West and Adaptation if only he could do more films like this, p.s. Kick Ass was pretty awesome too!

Post #: 36
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans Review - 14/2/2012 2:01:41 PM   
the film man

Befitting its unorthodox origins, this Bad Lieutenant benefits from Werner Herzog's typically fearless direction and a delightfully unhinged Nicolas Cage in the title role.

Post #: 37
Mad Lieutenant - 5/3/2012 5:26:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This film is just fucking nuts and had me laughing out loud on more than one occassion - when he's trying to extract information from the old granny and her carer I mean it was pure insanity and completely hilarious

[image]http://planetofthenerds.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bad_lieutenant_4-3.jpg[/image]

I mean what the fuck

[image]http://www.thesnipenews.com/thegutter/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Bad-Lieutenant.jpg[/image]

The look on Nicolas Cage's face after the gangster gets shot and his 'soul starts dancing' is priceless 1:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 38
- 10/5/2012 2:32:02 AM   
david hayes

Five stars? hilarious

Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Ridiculously Overrated Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI