Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bad Lieutenant

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bad Lieutenant Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Lieutenant - 17/5/2010 9:10:32 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: 100/100 - 17/5/2010 9:25:00 AM   
CORLEONE

"TILL THE BREAK O' DAWN BABY!!!"

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 17/5/2010 1:25:08 PM   
Indio

Seems I'm in the minority but I didn't think it was that great a film, I thought it was a bit dull to be honest. I didn't think Cage was that great, he seems to be in the same hammy mode of just about every film he has made in the last 10 years, I'm guessing its only because its a Werner Herzog film and not something like Ghost Rider 2 that critics feel he is worthy of praise, but he needs someone to tell him to tone it down a notch.

As of the plot itself, it seems to be an awfully laboured way of saying that a corrupt cop can make it to the top in America, maybe Herzog and his lackies were howling laughing at his cutting edge German 'humour' while making it but I found most of it to just be a slog.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 17/5/2010 2:11:54 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Four stars at a push.  Great performance from Cage though.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 17/5/2010 2:29:52 PM   
Deviation

OH NOES. EMPIRE GAVE A FILM FIVE STARS??!!! HOW DARE THEY HOW FUCKING DARE DAY!!!!!! I HOPE YOU DIE EMPIRE.

Anyways I enjoyed this one, it wasn't the Herzog's finest, but it was very good and mostly a fine film (and Cage here even better than he was in Kick Ass) and Herzog's direction is till excellent and this does feel like one of his films and never a cop out.

Have I seen Ferrara's? No, but I very much enjoyed this and from what I know, it is a good example of what a remake or re-imagining should be and not simply a re-hash of the first.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 17/5/2010 10:51:02 PM   
spamandham

hmm 5 you say? may have to watch this after all...

Post #: 6
RE: - 18/5/2010 7:03:53 PM   
Kieran94

A well made film with a great central performance from Cage and wonderfully strange direction from Herzog. Lacks the awe and spectacle of Herzog's previous efforts and the eccentric and hard-hitting dramatics will exclude many. Solid four stars. Add half a star if you like insane films, or take away three stars if you really don't like them.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns ,and those who dig. You dig.

"INCONCEIVABLE"
You keep saying that word- I do not think it means what you think it means.
Post #: 7
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 19/5/2010 7:19:09 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

Seems I'm in the minority but I didn't think it was that great a film, I thought it was a bit dull to be honest. I didn't think Cage was that great, he seems to be in the same hammy mode of just about every film he has made in the last 10 years, I'm guessing its only because its a Werner Herzog film and not something like Ghost Rider 2 that critics feel he is worthy of praise, but he needs someone to tell him to tone it down a notch.

As of the plot itself, it seems to be an awfully laboured way of saying that a corrupt cop can make it to the top in America, maybe Herzog and his lackies were howling laughing at his cutting edge German 'humour' while making it but I found most of it to just be a slog.

I agree mostly.

Saw it a few months back. The film is fine but does drag which basically would be rather bad if it wasnt for Cage's performance, which is a joy to see for how crackers it is. His voice chances half way through, his movement, and his erractic behaviour builds and builds -- it really is fun to watch.

Its just not as "crazy" or OTT as reviews or the trailer suggests....in fact all the nuttyness is in the trailer. Which is a shame cos its where Cage really shines. But what you're left with is a pondering film that starts bright and finishes brighter. It just doesnt have any inventiveness or off the wall ideas throughout its mid-section where the film drags and plods. There's even a lack of equally as kookie characters akin to Cage for him to play off either which reinforces the fact its basically a 1 man Nick Cage show....but that cant hold up a full film on its own.

Overall, kookie and off the wall when it wants to be and Cage has a blast. Sadly the rest of the film is littered with less that impressive support characters, its not particularly funny, and doesnt sustain the outlandishness of its opening and finale. Its all about Cage but needed more to hold the attention.

***/*****

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 19/5/2010 7:20:31 PM >

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 19/5/2010 9:12:55 PM   
Deviation

Well it did remind me of a typical Herzog pacing in plot, style and pacing, but I have no problem with that, I tend to like it. (Rescue Dawn was the one which felt a bit weak for me, but still a good enough film)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 9
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 20/5/2010 10:43:02 AM   
shawnduhast

kenada_woo

Love your signature! You should get the new USA BluRay version of Marked For Death (if you haven't already got it) A revelation compared to the DVD!! Sound has more depth and a bit more bass but the picture is a big improvement :-) especially since they've actually used a clean print this time!

------

Metal Damage, Brain Damage...Are you listening Bronze? I am the Nightrider. I'm a Fuel Injected Suicide Machine......

< Message edited by shawnduhast -- 20/5/2010 10:45:29 AM >

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 20/5/2010 6:45:42 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawnduhast

kenada_woo

Love your signature! You should get the new USA BluRay version of Marked For Death (if you haven't already got it) A revelation compared to the DVD!! Sound has more depth and a bit more bass but the picture is a big improvement :-) especially since they've actually used a clean print this time!

------

Metal Damage, Brain Damage...Are you listening Bronze? I am the Nightrider. I'm a Fuel Injected Suicide Machine......

Will keep an eye out for it.

I've seen it to death (no pun intended) so Im waiting for the price to drop.

And anyway...there's nothing wrong with my VHS copy hahaha

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to shawnduhast)
Post #: 11
RE: best film since the hurt locker - 21/5/2010 5:29:27 PM   
adambatman82

Saw the film this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I shall write more when I have time.
Post #: 12
Fear and Loathing in New Orleans - 22/5/2010 12:47:22 AM   
Edward Nygma

Wow.

That film was insane. Who would have thought that Werner Herzog and Nicolas Cage would be a match made in Heaven? Especially after Cage's mostly poor track record this past decade (he was great in Weather Man and Kick Ass though).

Part dark thriller, part drug comedy, completely mad from start to finish, Bad Lieutenant deserves its 5 stars and although Empire's past praise of commercial yawns like Kick Ass and Avatar have been a tad tiresome, I'm happy to say they've got it completely right here.

Nic Cage jumps right back into his energetic crazy loser persona, which he'd perfected in films like Vampire's Kiss, and delivers perhaps his best performance ever. Some have called him hammy but thing is, people act kinda weird when they're on drugs 24/7. That's an understatement. So i think hammy is perfectly appropriate here. He is simply hilarious and genuinely very good.

I did see some people in the audience who clearly weren't getting it but those who did were just having a ball. I know I was.

You could see the film as an allegory of America's ineptitude to handle its own personal tragedies (like Hurricane Katrina) and corruptions. Or simply the best drugs movie since Fear and Loathing. Either way, it's very entertaining, very funny and very dark. Even Eva Mendes manages to not be annoying! Now THAT'S a fine achievement in itself.

"Shoot him again! His soul's still dancing..."

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 13
RE: 4 and a half stars - 24/5/2010 6:44:39 PM   
hampstead bandit

just got back from seeing it

a weird film for sure, but also enjoyable, with a surprising ending (considering the downwards slide of the character throughout the film)

however, it wasn't quite right in terms of cinematography and sound - it seemed very amateurish in places, especially the sound which had several instances of suddenly becoming very loud, then settling back to the same level the rest of the film was at?

anything with Eva Mendes in gets my vote, and it was great to see Nicholas Cage returning to previous form

Jennifer Coolidge (Stiffler's Mom from American Pie) and the other supporting actors including a much slimmer (than recently seen) Val Kilmer did a good job

3.5-4 / 5
Post #: 14
RE: A GOOD FILM BUT NOT A GREAT ONE...... - 25/5/2010 10:59:08 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Back to the stars debate-this will be a 5 star film that you love,or a 2 or 3 star film that you don't get,or simply don't like.
Cage is probably the best actor at a self-loathing loving implosion(Bringing Out The Dead,leaving Las Vegas etc).
He is soooooo much better when he leaves the blockbusters alone.
Favourite scene?
Where there's drugs,englebert humperdink and 2 iguanas during a steakout.
How could you not like that?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!
Post #: 15
RE: A GOOD FILM BUT NOT A GREAT ONE...... - 26/5/2010 8:36:51 PM   
hampstead bandit

Where there's drugs,englebert humperdink and 2 iguanas during a steakout.

the whole drugs thing with igunanas and alligators made no sense to me?

I am not shy, to admit I did a LOT of drugs in the 1990s (I was a hardcore raver and party person) and I never saw any lizards...

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 16
RE: A GOOD FILM BUT NOT A GREAT ONE...... - 27/5/2010 12:25:28 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Are you saying if you had been at a rave in the 90s,out of your face and seen an iguana(or any suchlike lizard) that you would have "gotten that scene"?
That is the brillance of this film-did i get it?Should i have gotten it?Wtf?
Cage's performance is brilliant in a very understated sort of way,like he used to be.But if he wasn't there,this movie wouldn't work.
Watch it again,it's that good,and don't worry about "getting it",cause within each of our experiences/interpretations,you will!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 17
RE: A GOOD FILM BUT NOT A GREAT ONE...... - 27/5/2010 1:56:11 AM   
Edward Nygma

I think some people are probably put off by the film's constant yo-yoing between comedy and serious thriller. For me, I think that's what makes the film so unique. It finds that middle ground between both genres in order to create something funny and dark in equal amounts.

Herzog is the king of cinematic insanity and knows that madness is both comical and tragic. Bad Lieutenant is certainly not a one dimensional film and demands repeat viewings I think.

Favourite scene? I guess it'll have to be either the "ooooh yeah" guy, who is genius and belongs in a film like The Big Lebowski. Or the brutalised old woman scene, which is both horrible and hilarious.

Oooooooooh yeah.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 18
RE: Cop thriller? - 27/5/2010 8:41:28 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think it is a refreshing break from the 3D crud we are being enveloped in.
This is a film with so many different levels,that you can take on any level you want.
Cage is a delight to watch when he has material like this.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 19
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 27/5/2010 8:09:11 PM   
captainrentboy

This one can be filed alongside Where The Wild Things Are and Synechdoche New York for me, in that I can't really see what all the massive fuss is about  It was just ...... good and that's about the most praise I can give it.
Nicely filmed, Nic Cage on occasional top form, and a couple of stand out extremely surreal/quirky scenes, but other than that it was largely quite dull.
I'd give it a 3/5, although I have no intention of watching it again in the near future.

Post #: 20
RE: - 29/5/2010 11:22:20 AM   
Qwerty Norris

A completely different beast to the extremely grim Abel Ferrara original which in turn works for and against it. Nicolas Cage gives a hugely enjoyable performance whilst Herzog stamps his trademark madness all over the canvas (specifically with the crocodiles, Iguanas and a certain dance segment) - resulting in a funny and entertaining couple of hours. The lack of depth to the proceedings however mean that unlike Ferrara's effort, Herzog's remake is very much in the realm of throwaway, caricature entertainment rather than being anything particularly profound, meaningful and long-lasting. Good fun nevertheless however....

3/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 21
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 29/5/2010 4:00:45 PM   
Bighousewill

I watched the original with Harvey Keitel last night on Film Four but my cinema isnt screening this version yet, I don't know why? If I were a casual cinema goer I would pay to see it. Im not a casual cinema goer though Im an avid Cinema goer I go every week, I love films and I hate it when my cinema doesnt screen films unless they are guaranteed to make money. Sometimes they do show them later but usually in the screen with the broken speaker Im very finicky about these things nothing worse than a buzzing speaker in the cinema annoying or what? I will see it eventually though maybe at the small theatre in my town with a pull down screen they have a film club but the quality is rubbish but they are working on improving it. Blah blah blah Annoying or what? 

Post #: 22
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 29/5/2010 9:30:35 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think you're missing the point.
The majority of us here may like/love this movie for different reasons,but we a mainstream minority.
Most moviegoers are avoiding this,so nobody's blowing a commercial trumpet-thankfully.
it's being bumped down in shows in my Cineworld to facilitate the SITC2 shite.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 30/5/2010 2:03:34 PM   
R W

Director: Werner Herzog
Screenwriter: William Finkelstein
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer, Xzibit, Fairuza Balk, Brad Dourif

Synopsis
In post-Katrina New Orleans, Terence McDonough (Cage) who is a drug/gambling-addled detective investigates the killing of five Senegalese immigrants.

Review
As someone who watches cult films, I recently got to see Abel Ferrara’s classic cop drama Bad Lieutenant starring Harvey “Mr White” Keitel in a career-best performance. Despite the film following a corrupt New York cop going on a rampage, it has a surprisingly religious theme as the bad lieutenant tries to find redemption as a catholic by finding the men who raped a nun. It may be an uncomfortable watch but it’s a powerful piece that has more under its skin than carnage.

When I first heard about this remake being in the hands of Werner Herzog (who was the helmer of the brilliant remake of Nosferatu), it was a real surprise and one of low expectations. Even Abel Ferrara felt utterly insulted about this “reimagining”, which is what Herzog insists it is as he is not seen the original. While Ferrara’s film was about the burden of guilt, Herzog’s interpretation is about the bliss of evil.

Whilst there are scenes that somewhat echoes the original such as the protagonist taking sexual favours as bribes, as well as succumbing to his drug addiction, what William Finkelstein’s script shows that this is something approaching black comedy, which makes this Bad Lieutenant a more enjoyable experience. Also, with Finkelstein’s screenplay (who had been involved in police dramas like Law & Order and NYPD Blue), this film is more focused on the primary case than the original in terms of the involvement of both the police and drug dealers.

As I’ve said before it is unusual that Herzog is directing this as the film isn’t one about the conflict with nature or heroes achieving their impossible dreams. However, there are many moments that remind that he is the poetic visionary we know and love. Scenes involving the POVs of alligators and iguanas, also a quiet conversation in which Terence talks about his secret hiding place when he was a child and finally a beautifully haunting score by Mark Isham.

While there isn’t enough of that Herzog imaginary which I want more of, and a direction that is similar to the style of Ferrara, the German director’s take reminds you that this does not have the brilliance of works like Aguirre, the Wrath of God, nor does it have the thematic power of the source it’s based upon.

Recently, we saw Nicolas Cage returning to his signature crazy acting in the kick-ass Kick-Ass, in which he played a guy who likes Batman and speaks like Adam West. However, Cage in this insane role makes you remember his early roles which were flat-out crazy, but also as an actor who is as good as Herzog’s late muse Klaus Kinski who was considered a renegade.

As for supporting players, Eva Mendes doesn’t bring an aspect which we’ve seen from her before but has nice screen time with her lead co-star while the second-worst Batman Val Kilmer seems to come and go, which is what he‘s best at. Finally, would someone mind telling me why Fairuza Balk looks so hot in a police uniform with cowboy boots?

Verdict
While it always a pleasure to watch a new film by Werner Herzog, this clearly isn’t up there with his most important work but he directs this Bad Lieutenant with a lot of panache while Nicolas Cage is having the time of his life.

Post #: 24
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 30/5/2010 8:07:38 PM   
Axel Foley

Bad Lieutenant is the most demetedly great film I have seen in some time. Nicolas Cage somehow imbues his role with pathos and despite being a coke snorting, crack smoking, granny abusing loon he somehow remains sympathetic.

Werner Herzog loves the whole men battling nature angle, but here the battle is almost an internal one for Cage's cop Terrnece McDonagh, setting hium apart from the likes of Firtzcarraldo in the Herzog cannon. Quite explicitly expressed onscreen as his mind drifts of to iguanas (there is quite reptile obsession across the movie - I loved the crazy dead gator POV shot).

My favourite moment was Cage's excitement over making a bust, while his fellow cops look on approvingly. It sums up the character, as despite everything he clearly loves being a cop. 

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 25
RE: Bad Lieutenant - 2/6/2010 7:39:17 PM   
robwillphill

Nic Cage is back! Herzog, I salute you. Shame the film failed at the Box Office. But this film is in no way a failure - it is almost classic, but not quite. The iguanas are fantastic and overall Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is solid gold. I would watch this over and over... "Till the break of dawn, baby!"

9/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 26
RE: Proof that Herzog has no limits. - 7/7/2010 7:38:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

With the studio apparently insisting on the title, this bears little resemblance to the 1992 film called Bad Lieutenant, except that it's about a somewhat unhinged cop with a bit of a drug problem. This is more of a dark comedy, a really engaging off-the-wall exercise which feels so fresh it actually seems like it's the work of talented young new director, not from a guy in his 70s.  Centering around a simply extroadinary performance from Nicolas Cage, who is just hypnotic to watch [even if half the time he's sniffing coke],  it essentially details two days and nights in his corrupt, drug-fuelled existence, with him solving a murder case along the way. The latter wilfully ignores conventional proceedurals and action in favour of a looser, more freewheeling approach populated by odd characters and possibly inconsequential detail in a manner resembling that of the Coen brothers, without the annoying 'o look,we're so clever' attitude that in my view partially ruins much of their work. I think Werner Herzog and his writer are poking fun at traditional Hollywood genre movies for much of the running time, such as having Cage pull his gun out every ten minutes but hardly ever use the damn thing.  The film does have a plot and it does sort of wrap itself up but at the end just asks more questions. The film is crammed full of memorable lines and sequences, some of which combine humour and nastiness in a really good way, such as when Cage threatens an old lady or when he catches a couple who have drugs on them and gets the woman to fondle him. Other bits are just simply crazy, ranging from dancing souls and the igaunas [apparently the studio only wanted them used for three seconds but they couldn't get their way with Herzog] to a whole range of memorable small characters such as the guy who walks off saying "o yeah, o yeah".  Does any of this really mean anything?  Maybe, maybe not.  I must admit I found much of this film helarious but I do have a wierd sense of humour and it's certainly not for everyone. Folk expecting a normal comedy, drama or cop thriller will probably get bored with this film. I though loved it's highly original approach and feel.  Let's have another Herzog/Cage film please.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 7/7/2010 7:46:21 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 27
RE: EXCEPTIONAL REMAKE - 11/9/2010 3:45:49 PM   
evil bill

BAD LIEUTENANT:Port Of Call New Orleans

Don't go into this expecting anything that resembles Ferrara's 1992 Bad Lieutenant,the two have nothing in common other than the premise of a drug-addicted corrupt cop. Port of Call wasn't intended to be a remake, adding Bad Lieutenant to the title was a commercial decision, Herzog even say's he's never watch the movie.What we have here is Nicolas Cage at his best when sailing close to the edge with substance abuse, like when he got the Oscar in 1996 for Leaving Las Vegas.Director Werner Herzog has created a bizarrely comical but very dark and twisted movie,a thriller that is among the cleverest,and  most innovative films of this year.It has that European feel of visual experimentalism but mixed with Hollywood style camera work,it is beautifully shot by cinematographer Peter Zeitlinger who must take some of the credit for it's overall look.But it's Herzog's deliberately bonkers approach, matched by Cage's whacked out performance that keeps you glued from the very start, to the excellent ending that is a pure joy to watch.Lets not forget the supporting cast which is also very impressive as well with Mendes turning in a fine performance as the drugged out hooker, Val Kilmer as a psycho cop(he just wants to shoot everyone),his best role in a while,but just not enough of him on screen.Fairuza Balk as another cop and the always reliable Brad Dourif as a bookie in another low key but outstanding role for him. The film is a very dark comedy at heart and for the most part both Herzog and Cage go full steam ahead to bring out the laughs and this includes a hilarious sequence with a couple old ladies with one on oxygen.This is one of the best movies i've seen this year and i will add it to my must own list,in fact i'll watch it again later tonight.9/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 28
Shoot again! His soul is still dancing! - 31/10/2010 11:24:10 AM   
The Great Danton

Cage is back, but for how long?
Really good black-comedy thriller...

Post #: 29
- 3/11/2010 11:34:44 AM   
reminn

Good.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bad Lieutenant Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI