Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

American: The Bill Hicks Story

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> American: The Bill Hicks Story Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American: The Bill Hicks Story - 10/5/2010 1:43:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 10/5/2010 1:43:01 PM   
bendoofus

Can't wait!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
No doubt in my mind - 11/5/2010 7:35:23 PM   
ovverbruv

Bill Hicks was the greatest stand-up ever, from mocking Christians and M C Hammer to rattle political cages he was unstoppable, still missed now.

Post #: 3
RE: No doubt in my mind - 13/5/2010 10:33:17 AM   
odddaze

Where is this playing? I can't find anything.

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to ovverbruv)
Post #: 4
Most important stnd up ever - 13/5/2010 1:22:58 PM   
spideed2

Even in that 10% of time he wasnt especially funny, he mateial was tremendously important and interesting. Truly the gresatest stand up.

I cant find this on many places either, its on in Derby at the arty cinema but cant find many others.

Post #: 5
RE: Most important stnd up ever - 14/5/2010 8:17:47 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's not in Cineworld in Dublin either.
Has it been released today in the UK?
Anyone seen it?Any good?
I was looking forward to seeing this!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 6
RE: Most important stnd up ever - 17/5/2010 5:07:18 PM   
Edward Nygma

Really want to see this too, I hope it's playing in at least one Cineworld in London!

I have watched a lot of stand up and no one has even come close to Bill Hicks.

George Carlin and Lewis Black are both quite good (and at times very good) and their stand up is similar to Hicks' in style but it just doesn't have that genuine, spontaneous, no bullshit, rock and roll attitude Bill had.

Other stand ups I enjoy are Eddie Izzard, Jerry Seinfeld and Dylan Moran but, again, their stand up is pretty inoffensive and not a patch on Hicks.

Anyway, gonna try and find somewhere to see this...By the way, I've got some Dirt For Sale, interested?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 7
RE: Most important stnd up ever - 29/5/2010 11:19:55 AM   
Qwerty Norris

In terms of an artistic vision its a marvellous piece of work. The amount of archival footage and photos of the great man is nothing short of remarkable and creators Matt Harlock & Paul Thomas have done a fine job in using this to celebrate the life of one of stand up's greatest acts in an interesting way. It's just a pity we weren't able to get a more rounded viewpoint of Hicks through the women in his life but that's in no way the fault of the film-makers. A towering achievement that deserves to be seen.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 8
RE: American: The Bill Hicks Story - 2/6/2010 11:15:36 PM   
R W

Directors: Matt Harlock, Paul Thomas
Starring: Bill Hicks, Mary Hicks, Dwight Slade, Kevin Booth

Synopsis
In this photo-animated feature documentary, we get to explore the life and works of the stand-up comedic visionary that was Bill Hicks.

Review
I was never fascinated by the workings of stand-up, which is probably due to fat men like Peter Kay or sweat bags like Lee Evans. It was clever individuals such as Eddie Izzard (who funnily described the meaning of Easter) and Woody Allen (who talked about being kidnapped once that led his parents to rent out his room). A few years ago, I was introduced to the late Bill Hicks by watching his legendary live performance Revelations and I was hooked.

He had a very distinctive voice, which was foul-mouthed and very intellectual, and he was someone who was quite concerned about the political situation during the early 90s. There had been talks of a biopic being developed, in which Ron Howard had considered directing and Russell Crowe portraying the man himself. There may be something scary about Crowe (not least his accent in Robin Hood), but Hickís personality is a standalone and one that canít be imitated.

Now that Hickís life is the hands of British documentarians Matt Harlock and Paul Thomas, this documentary as cleverly told in animated photographs gives you an insightful look at this complex individual. With the directors having hundreds of home footage at their disposal, there are many aspects which I was not aware of, such as his stand-up started as a double act with his best friend Dwight Slade, as well as their first and only collaboration on the unproduced screenplay The Suburbs.

Both the directors and the interviewees (who are friends and family including hisparents) are not afraid to reveal what kind of person Hicks was. As a child, he was a young rebel who secretly went out to comedic clubs and as an up-and-coming comedian, he almost lost his audience due to his alcohol abuse. Whatís even more surprising was that even he was dying of pancreatic cancer, he was able to be free and say whatever he want no matter how controversial he got.

Some fans might be disappointed as it doesnít reveal every single aspect about Hicks as the documentary leaves out his romantic life (although there is a quick mention of the various girlfriends he had) and most disappointingly for me that it didnít talk about his crumbled friendship with comedian Denis Leary who was accused of plagiarism towards Hicksí jokes.

Verdict
Hilarious and thought-provoking, this documentary is a fine tribute to the late great comedian and hopefully a great introduction for newcomers towards his satirical genius.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> American: The Bill Hicks Story Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI