Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: If you love Indiana Jones ... then you will love this!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: If you love Indiana Jones ... then you will love this! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you love Indiana Jones ... then you will love this! - 2/6/2010 7:52:45 PM   
robwillphill

This actually wasn't that bad. Probably the best game-to-film adaption so far. I thought it would be appalling, but this was genuinely fun and not a pain to watch at all. Still relatively average, but on the good side of average. Now please make a Bioshock movie - it would be AMAZING in the right hands. Prince of Persia was better than Clash of the Titans, so it deserves...

6/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to katelm76)
Post #: 61
If i hear the word 'DESTINY' one more sodding time. (sp... - 2/6/2010 9:20:38 PM   
KOL/Avatar

i will start by saying that i was disappointed. i wont put one star, it hinkt hats reserved for very very very bad films. liek 'the golden compass' and 'eragon'. this may be on a par with that. actually, eragon was better. ouch. but i digress.
put simply, the whole film just looses its plot about 40 mins in. i kept having to wake myself up to try and work out what (really awful) line of dialogu i had missed. Gemma Artreton is dread ful in it. Ben Kingsly also has some shockiing moment. Glynnenhal has a nice, almost believeable english accent. he and Alfred Molina may just be the best things in it. no, i lie again; the ostritch was the single most entertaining thing about it. oh, and to put the nail inthe coffin, so to speak, i laughed out loud when artreton died. the actors screming was too much to handle. No sympathy Gemma; you were shocking).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
A royal rumble! - 3/6/2010 9:17:28 AM   
trueborndjross

OK - first of all Empire, please stop going on about bloody 3D!!! I for one am getting a bit sick of dodgy 3D adaptations that make you feel like you're watching a 2D film with sunglasses on (Clash of the Titans anyone?). Anyway, back to the film! I really enjoyed this and it's a good old fashioned action/adventure. Feels like a cross between Aladdin, The Mummy and Indiana Jones but that's no bad thing. The tone is just right achieving a balance between action and comedy and whilst some of the dialogue is a bit wooden you kind of expect that from a film like this anyway. The action sequences are amazing, especially the rooftop chases, and the CGI is polished. The ending is a bit of a cop out but when you've got sword fighting, ostrich racing and Gemma Arterton who cares???!

Post #: 63
RE: Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time - 3/6/2010 12:50:08 PM   
Kingseany

Great fun.  Not original but enyoyable.  The cast were excellent.  The script was passable but only just.  Empire's review for this was just terrible but others have commented on that.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 64
RE: Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time - 4/6/2010 10:48:12 AM   
Gazz

It could have been better but I was expecting much worse. All in all it's disposable fluff but enjoyable throughout. There are a few squandered promises in the execution (the action ranges from great to meh) and not much is made of the parkour or time travel aspects (I would have loved to have seen Dastan fall to his death only to reverse time at the last possible moment), but overall I quite enjoyed it. It moves quickly. there were a few genuine goose bump moments and Gemma Arteton is beautiful throughout. It doesn't deserve the bad rep it's getting imo.

3/5

(in reply to Kingseany)
Post #: 65
RE: Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time - 4/6/2010 1:15:48 PM   
jcthefirst

Enjoyable, forgettable.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 66
Prince of Persia - 6/6/2010 12:06:53 AM   
TrainOfThought

An enjoyable film, but it is spoilt slightly by its obvious preachy-ness on the subject of Iraq.

Post #: 67
RE: Prince of Persia - 6/6/2010 12:13:15 PM   
princessa

Didn't really enjoy this.  Loved the first half hour but after that the film went downhill for me.  Weak script, thin plot and cheesy dialogue.  Loved the action scenes but even these couldn't make up for all the other cheesy elements.

Jake Gyllenhall was excellent as the prince.  But Gemma Atertons character got on my nerves; not helped by the fact that she can't act.  She was awful and wooden in this.

The supporting characters were okay...for me Alfred Molina stood out.

The film was far too long and i was quickly bored.  An okay movie but i wouldn't recommend it.

(in reply to TrainOfThought)
Post #: 68
RE: Prince of Persia - 7/6/2010 3:52:53 PM   
TrailMix

I actually thought it did a nice job of keeping everything moving along at a nice pace. I don't recall feeling like the movie was ever dragging or looking at my watch. There are definitely some long movies out there this summer that need to be cut down, but I thought Prince of Persia did a nice job of just keeping it to the meat and potatoes. 

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 69
Jolly Good Fun - 9/6/2010 11:06:26 PM   
Nosdod

I don't see what you're all harping on about. This film doesn't pretend to be some high-concept, thought-provoking movie. It's meant to be action-packed escapism, and it delivers on all counts. OK, the dialogue is a bit clunky at times, and there could have been a bit more action, but all in all, if you wanted something to entertain you, you couldn't go far wrong. I'd much rather turn back my own Sands of Time and watch this moving a couple more times, than spend my hard-earned cash watching some drivel like Sex and The City 2!!

Post #: 70
great saturday night fun - 9/7/2010 12:45:22 PM   
kable2010

'nuff said as it was the best video game adaption that does not fail as an action

Post #: 71
please star your reviews - 9/7/2010 12:48:03 PM   
kable2010

like i said

Post #: 72
please i want another movie of prince of persia - 17/9/2010 4:53:18 PM   
tamina

is so beatiful and the music, any way, i love it

Post #: 73
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 19/9/2010 12:10:50 PM   
sanchia

An intensely average film in every way. The action is forgettable and quite sparse. The acting is forgettable and especially from Artherton dialed home (at least I hope so otherwise she is made of cardboard). The plot is pointless and the whole thing centres around a macguffin. The ending is awful and pointless and the whole film is pretty much a lot of CGI sand flying around.

It is ok for a watch and then forget film but expect nothing and that is what you shall receive.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to tamina)
Post #: 74
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 19/9/2010 6:26:30 PM   
Deviation

You have to give it to Newell though, I would have never thought of putting comedy Arabs who race ostriches in a film about the Prince of Persia. Mostly becuase it was a stupid idea.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 75
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 19/9/2010 6:38:34 PM   
sanchia

Never get between a man and his love for an Ostrich.

A lot of the film seemed to be taken wholesale from Assassins Creed rather than The Prince of Persia anyway.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 76
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 20/9/2010 8:56:02 PM   
hampstead bandit

I watched this recently and found it pretty boring  - 2 /5

I actually enjoyed Clash of the Titans much more than this, and that is saying something...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 77
RE: Prince of Persia - 20/9/2010 9:13:47 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrainOfThought

An enjoyable film, but it is spoilt slightly by its obvious preachy-ness on the subject of Iraq.

How was it preachy about Iraq? I didn't really pick up on that. Then again i cant remember much of a plot.

Something about a dagger and the guy from Coupling.

But i enjoyed it anyway the two leads were pretty good and the fight scenes were well put together.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to TrainOfThought)
Post #: 78
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 20/9/2010 10:09:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Never get between a man and his love for an Ostrich.

A lot of the film seemed to be taken wholesale from Assassins Creed rather than The Prince of Persia anyway.

It did seem like an Assassins Creed adaptation rather than PoP didn't it?

Also, the entire plot involving the assassins was dull. Like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, only far duller.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 79
RE: please i want another movie of prince of persia - 21/9/2010 12:03:03 PM   
UTB

I enjoyed it. It passed the time on a drunken friday night. Lots of orangey people pouting and flexing (and that's just Alfred Molina).

I'm suprised people were 'disappointed', how great did you expect a video game adaptation produced by Jerry Bruckheimer to be?

Certainly better than the last 2 Pirates movies.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 80
Epic Fail - 22/9/2010 2:45:33 PM   
neopol

From the "team" that brought us "Pirates Of The Caribbean", comes this rather lacking and somewhat boring effort. The trailer said it all, but I dared to hope for more, but in fact got even less.

The acting is up there with some of the worst and most wooden that I have ever seen, with the plot and even the scenery chewing the scenery! I wanted very much to say that Alfred Molina's performance as the Ostrich racing bandit was a saving grace but even this could do very little to help.

Overall, the "good" elements of this film, such as the music, effects and production design, all fail to truly impress, as they are all standard fare, with little to offer in the way inspiration.

But with the screenplay, direction and what can laughably be referred to as acting, with the less said about Gyllenhaal's English accent, strange for a Persian might I add, and even less said about Ben Kingsley's hammiest of hammy performances, this is a film dragged to deepest depths of failure.

"Pirates Of The Caribbean" had something, even at its worst that this doesn't, and that was chemistry. This was AWOL in this film, and the final point that I MUST make is in the form of a question, rhetorical or not I'll leave open to interpretation: Why, oh why, is Gemma Arterton continually being cast in films, let alone major blockbusters?

There's alot wrong with is film and visuals aren't the half of it, though the constant and often erratic camera movement doesn't help, but casting and character direction was at the forefront.

A comment regarding the computer to movie adaptation: There were certainly signs of its gaming roots, but these flourishes worked well enough, paying homage to the huge jumps and action cues which are common place in the genre. They was in many ways were the film's artistic integrity lies.

If a sequel is forthcoming and I PRAY not, then casting, if not recasting needs some serious consideration, as does removing Mik

Post #: 81
- 3/11/2010 11:35:20 AM   
reminn

Excellent.

Post #: 82
RE: - 22/4/2011 9:56:06 PM   
musht

This was an enjoyable film.

In regards the empire review, who wants to bet that if it had been in 3D it would've gotten an extra star. I have taken to only reading empire reviews after I've seen the film but how many other films have they criticised for not being in 3D?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to reminn)
Post #: 83
RE: The REAL Prince of Persia! - 25/6/2011 2:47:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

Watched an hour of this generic pap then kept using the skip 15 sec button on my remote, everything was soooo predictable. I only stopped doing this when Gemma Arterton was on screen (and not because she was giving great performance).

Were the only real Middle Eastern actors in this film extras and throwaway henchmen?

And what the Hell was going on with those accents??

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 25/6/2011 2:48:08 PM >
Post #: 84
RE: Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time - 5/7/2011 11:03:10 PM   
megatron_bee

This was better than I thought it was going to, I assumed it would be a cheesy disney movie and was not to keen on watching but I sat down and chucked it on anyways,

And i was pleasently surprised, i enjoyed it :P It was cheesy in a way but it was light, which I thought what well done considering the type of movie,
the fight scenes were epic and I liked the story,

I did enjoy watching it, great movie :)

< Message edited by megatron_bee -- 5/7/2011 11:04:33 PM >

Post #: 85
Neither Hateful nor Anything Special - 13/8/2011 11:49:25 AM   
trainedasninja

An unambitiously solid disney adventure movie that hardly shames the original video game series or displays its true potential. Its predictability and all the exposition make this easy viewing which does make it verge on boredom. However because of the charismatic fun of Gyllenhaal and Arterton and some interesting fight and visual sequences it does at times provide good entertainment. A safe film, hardly hateful but if only the writers could have been as adventurous as the film they aimed to make - 3 stars

Post #: 86
A Disney 50-50 - 17/4/2013 11:18:54 PM   
Jdowen24

The prince of Persia console game saga was a great in my opinion and I waited a long time for there to be a film adaption of it..sadly all I can say is that with Disney they get it either brilliantly right or terribly wrong..this time it wasn't good. The prince of Persia story in my mind is a lot darker and with Disney you just don't get that.. I suppose it's fine for kids, some good fight scenes (kinda)...but in my eyes in needed to be more edgy..

Post #: 87
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: If you love Indiana Jones ... then you will love this! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI