Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Losers - 7/5/2010 9:44:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Losers - 25/5/2010 12:03:10 AM   
ElephantBoy

The poster makes it look terrible, like an action version of the Ocean films.  But it has a solid cast and is getting some decent buzz, I'll give it a go.
Post #: 2
RE: - 25/5/2010 2:15:12 AM   
theoriginalcynic

It's really poor, two stars.  Instantly forgettable with some highly ridiculous action scenes.  The beginning is the best part and the interesting set up but it quickly descends into nothing.  The tougne in cheek bad guy has no prescence and isn't threatening at all. 
Post #: 3
RE: Losers lost me - 28/5/2010 4:45:23 PM   
Ethanial

Loved it.
I was expecting another bland, half hearted attempt at mixing action and comedy with a flawed script and shaky cameras stopping me seeing the ACTION (Which is the point of buying the ticket, Bay, Greengrass, Berg sometimes too)
But no, it made me giggle too often to count, Chris Evans is one of those guys I do love watching so much, and the action was well done.
Sure it's not groundbreaking by any means, but when it has Zoe Saldana in such compromising positions with limited clothes, who gives a flying toss.
4/5 from me.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 4
RE: Great Fun - 30/5/2010 9:37:42 PM   
sanchia

Of course no matter what I said above I very much doubt that the film is going to be hit in that the screening I went to was on a Sunday evening before a bank holiday and there must have only been about twenty people there.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 2/6/2010 2:34:09 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

It's really poor, two stars.  Instantly forgettable with some highly ridiculous action scenes.  The beginning is the best part and the interesting set up but it quickly descends into nothing.  The tougne in cheek bad guy has no prescence and isn't threatening at all. 

I echo those sentiments.

For sure it's one thing for an action film to not take itself too seriously and have a bit of fun in the process, but this piece of work takes that approach to such a cavalier level to the point of being completely nauseating. In all honesty I just wanted everybody on screen to burst into a ball of flames.

Not the worst film I've seen this year, but there's very few that I hated more.

2/5

P.S. And if I hear that god awful Journey song in another pop cultural spectrum I'm going to stab someone repeatedly in the eyes with a spoon!!!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 8/6/2010 11:44:01 PM   
Marwood

Just got back from this and I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting.

It won't reinvent the wheel but deserves to do better than it's going to - certainly better than some other higher profile blockbusters that have been released so far.

The good -

The Losers have an easy chemistry and are a fun group to watch together, Chris Evans is the standout and anyone doubting his physicality for Captain America should be satisfied here.

The action zips along and although pretty bloodless due to the age rating is slick and well done

Generally a fun film with a plot just interesting enough to keep the attention

Zoe Saldana is awesome - sexy and dangerous with plenty of opportunity to show both

The bad -

Jason Patric as Max is a waste of screentime, I'd read a couple of early reviews where he was praised and loathed in equal measure depending on the watcher. He's a Marmite character and unfortunately I fall into the hate crowd.

Some of the jokes and setups felt somewhat forced and really the film was trying a bit too hard at times

Lack of a proper resolution as it sets things up for a sequel that probably isn't going to happen seeing as I don't think the film has been much of a success stateside and seems to be getting a limited release over here in the UK

Overall -

Solid 3 stars, would be nice to see this crowd together again and hopefully The A-Team will be as much fun.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 13/6/2010 8:37:39 PM   
hampstead bandit

really wanted to see this - looked fun?

could not believe that Odeon cinemas did not show this film at ANY of their venues in the Greater London area!! (I live in Central London and am familiar with the location of their difference cinemas)

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 14/6/2010 2:05:18 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Move to Dublin!!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 9
RE: The Losers - 28/7/2010 1:46:53 PM   
matt st hubbins

I wasn't expecting much, but ended up enjoying it a lot. Great energy with very likeable characters. I've seen the A-Team and thought that was terrible - there's 'fast paced', and then there's incomprehensible. The A-Team was definitely the latter. This is far better. I'd give it 3.5/5 and A-Team 2/5.
Post #: 10
RE: The Losers - 31/7/2010 5:55:24 PM   
Johnny_A

3/5 stars.

Fun and entertaining. Zoe Saldana is sultry hot one moment and just sexy all of the other moments. Chris Evans stood out. Funny as hell. Still wondering how he'll do as Captain America (iffy as best).
Nice suspension of thought for a short time. Good viewing.
Not a waste of time.

A-Team was more entertaining and fun though.

:p

The World May End Some Day, but not before I do.

Click Profile to check out Blog. It be funny!

Centurion ***
Paprika ****
The Expendables ***

(in reply to matt st hubbins)
Post #: 11
RE: The Losers - 31/7/2010 8:06:35 PM   
KeithM

It was ok. I couldn't buy Max at all - too cardboard cut-out for me, personally. I liked the Losers as characters, but the plot was a let-down and without being able to put my finger on what exactly, it was lacking something for me.  Not crap, not good - merely average.

(in reply to Johnny_A)
Post #: 12
- 3/11/2010 11:33:27 AM   
reminn

Good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 13
Fun and Funny - 18/11/2010 10:31:10 PM   
danielthompson99

As reviewed, fast paced, fun and 300/Watchmen stylish. Saw Jason patric listed at the end of the movie. Really? Who was he? My goodness he's got old! (haven't we all?)
As long as you are not looking for anything more than a Saturday evening popcorn movie, this will do fine.

Post #: 14
RE: The Losers - 24/2/2011 11:28:03 AM   
Ballschin

This is basically a poor man's A-Team and the A-Team isn't anything to write home about.

It's main fault was how hard it tried to be 'cool' for the sake of it's target audience of presumably 13 year old COD addicts. Every time the team go anywhere it's shot in slow motion and accompanied by a 'cool' punk rock/hip-hop song, which very quickly becomes annoying.

It also veers way too much between comedic moments and then moments where it attempts to be taken seriously, which is impossible because the dialogue and exposition is crap. And the villain Max is so ridiculously over the top he'd be more at home in a film like Dumb and Dumber or MacGruber (infact both those films have arguably more sinister villains).

It's all just a bit disjointed and quite forgettable. Chris Evans is undoubtedly the highlight.

< Message edited by Ballschin -- 15/3/2011 6:25:31 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: The Losers - 3/5/2011 12:25:08 AM   
KeithM

The Losers

Haven't read the comic so I can't compare (which is probably a good thing). It was ok. Not bad, not good, just average. The Losers themselves were all good, and were enjoyable to watch and had some good chemistry, but the baddie didn't work for me and the plot, while having all the requisite parts (apart from a proper ending - no spoilers, but you'll see what I mean if you watch it) was a bit unsatisfying. Should have done better.

6/10

(in reply to Ballschin)
Post #: 16
The Losers Review - 4/3/2012 11:45:14 PM   
the film man

The Losers is loud, fast, violent ,funny ,well-acted and full of great characters. It is just simple, explosive entertainment and doesn't try to be anything more.

Post #: 17
The Losers Review - 4/3/2012 11:45:16 PM   
the film man

The Losers is loud, fast, violent ,funny ,well-acted and full of great characters. It is just simple, explosive entertainment and doesn't try to be anything more.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Losers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI