Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 4/5/2010 10:47:28 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Anyone watch this? Obviously because of Elba it's going to be compared to The Wire, but take it for what it was and it was good fun. Good acting, especially from Elba, and seems like it's going to be quite interesting over the next six weeks.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 5/5/2010 5:29:00 PM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT
Post #: 1
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Fuckin' Bell! - 4/5/2010 10:53:49 PM   
Riddick_J

Yea i thought it was pretty good, Elba is the man in pretty much eveything.  The song during the end credits was pretty sweet to. Anyone know what it is?

I'm not saying i don't trust you and I'm not saying i do, but i don't.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 2
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Fuckin' Bell! - 4/5/2010 10:57:56 PM   
mafyou

I watched it. I've been looking forward to it for some time simply because of Elba. Pretty impressed with it so far, and like you say, it looked to set things up nicely for the remainder of the series.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 3
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Fuckin' Bell! - 5/5/2010 2:26:41 PM   
MI Cruise

I totally forgot that this was coming last night, I was thinking of watching it but I might have passed on the idea anyway, I'll find out when it's repeating and then I might watch it then.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 4
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 5/5/2010 5:34:29 PM   
Captain Black

Pretty good I thought. I was a bit worried that they might have been overhyping it a bit because there didn't seem to be a BBC break that didn't advertise it, but Elba's just got great screen presence. Wasn't entirely convinced by the purple dialogue though - couldn't help but feel that they went so far then got cold feet rather than really going for it. I can't recall the term offhand, but I nearly did a double take when one of the characters used a word that I just thought 'and no one speaks like that!' But I liked the way the villain of the piece will be brought back - they seem to have learned a bit from one or two American shows of the genre.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 5
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 6/5/2010 1:51:19 AM   
ElephantBoy

Very smart, and stylish thriller, and he was good very different to his character in the Wire.  I like how he's an anti-hero and you kind of know that the Ruth Jones character did it early on, and now its a case of if he can bring her to justice without loseing his mables.  This allows them to build a number of other subplots at the same time.  She was excellent also, very icey, creepy indeed  Liked her in Small Island too. 

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 7/5/2010 5:07:02 PM   
jonson

Yes, I enjoyed this. Not seent The Wire (it's on my must-see list) but I thought he was very good, and the girl was suitably creepy and clever. Predictable in places (when they showeed the dog being cremated, you knew something was going on)
And how many people would have let that guy slip at the beginning??

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 27/5/2010 2:12:38 PM   
jonson

Still really enjoying this. Some genuinely creepy killers and very good acting throughout.
I'm guessing Luther cops off with Alice eventually, perhaps she even kills him at the end?
No idea if they have any plans for another series but I've really enjoyed it so far. The killer from 2 weeks ago (who kept his victim's blood and froze the woman) was horrible. His entrance when he stuck his tongue out at the woman (you'll know the bit I mean if you saw it) was pretty shocking, Mrs Jonson cacked herself at that bit.
I must admit I am pretty unfazed by anything, growing up on a diet of horror and gore but it was particualry unsettling.
This weeks killer with his handbag obssession was quite freaky, his wife's reaction (acress from Spooks - can't remember her name) to finding out he was a murderer was very well done.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 27/5/2010 3:12:03 PM   
spark1

its bobbins but entertaining bobbins.

really intense ep this wk.
nicola walker was the wife and the killer is the barman in 'hustle'.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 9
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 27/5/2010 5:40:35 PM   
Captain Black

Well, subtle it most certainly isn't but it does have impact. It's a real 'actors' sort of show; everyone involved seems to be having a great time just going for it in every scene, and that's keeping the whole thing on the right side of being shocking for the sake of it.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 10
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 27/5/2010 11:05:52 PM   
thepluginbaby

Its like The Wire never happened...  Not really a criticism because I am still enjoying it.  Best way to describe it is as a cop thriller in the vein of Silence of the Lambs I guess.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

Post #: 11
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 27/5/2010 11:14:13 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan = HOT!

It was weird seeing Rob Jarvis as a creepy serial killer on the last episode; he's most familiar as Eddie the Barkeeper in 'Hustle'.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 12
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 1/6/2010 10:26:32 PM   
Fleur

Oh my goodness, thought this weeks episode was brilliant!

"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me."

panicmoon.blogspot.com

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 13
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 2:43:03 PM   
jonson

Yeah, what a shock, he's on the run now. I can't believe his partner has scuppered him like that, what a wanker.
Luther is going to go all Jack Bauer on us now.
Great series, I hope they make another. I'm going to have to watch The Wire now as I really like Elba.

(in reply to Fleur)
Post #: 14
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 2:50:39 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I wasn't too sure watching the first episode because Elba was Stringer but have to say, it has certainly grown on me because of the hard hitting impact.

It was filmed in Westfield this week and I'm normally down there of a lunchtime just mooching around.  Had I seen him I might have had to shout out "Stringer" loudly.  Or "Ding dong, Avon calling"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 15
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 3:03:34 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Yeah, what a shock, he's on the run now. I can't believe his partner has scuppered him like that, what a wanker.
Luther is going to go all Jack Bauer on us now.
Great series, I hope they make another. I'm going to have to watch The Wire now as I really like Elba.

Been a pleasure to watch from the start. Whilst I hope they make another, I cannot see it ending well for him - he is on the run, the love of his life is dead and he has been set up like a kipper. (been avoiding spoilers so i don't even know if it has been re-commissioned and I dont want to know either ) Turned off as soon as the 'Next' showed up.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 16
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 3:23:27 PM   
spark1

more cliches.
copper's ex wife killed-check. knew she was for chop from day one.
framed for crime he didn't commit/on the run-check

ludicrious that his mate suddenly becomes this homicidal, corrupt madman.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 2/6/2010 3:24:17 PM >

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 17
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 5:42:41 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

It was filmed in Westfield this week and I'm normally down there of a lunchtime just mooching around.  Had I seen him I might have had to shout out "Stringer" loudly.  Or "Ding dong, Avon calling"

You should ask him where Wallace is.

I love how they're just going for this; is each episode written by the same person? Because it feels like he just said 'I'm doing a TV show and I am going to write whatever the hell I want and have the best time possible whilst doing so', and good on him.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 18
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 2/6/2010 5:55:49 PM   
Fleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

You should ask him where Wallace is.

I love how they're just going for this; is each episode written by the same person? Because it feels like he just said 'I'm doing a TV show and I am going to write whatever the hell I want and have the best time possible whilst doing so', and good on him.

Yeah, Neil Cross wrote the whole series. I agree the whole thing feels like that, its great.

"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me."

panicmoon.blogspot.com

Post #: 19
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 3/6/2010 3:02:01 PM   
spark1

bit of 'luther' backlash going on-

http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/961-alison-grahams-tv-watch-why-does-tv-glorify-violence-against-women/#comments

continued in latest issue of radio times.

also ratings in toilet-only got 2mil against BGT.

(in reply to Fleur)
Post #: 20
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 3/6/2010 3:38:28 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/961-alison-grahams-tv-watch-why-does-tv-glorify-violence-against-women/#comments

As I recall, there has been a strong warning at the start of at least the last 2 episodes of Luther - at least there has been on BBC HD. I would assume that the same warning went out on BBC1.

In which case - fuck her - she was warned

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 21
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 5/6/2010 2:36:02 PM   
spark1

the more cop shows on tv , the more stories with crimes against women, the more graphic the violence shown.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 22
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 5/6/2010 3:11:32 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm loving this series, been watching it on my lunch on the iplayer.
I particularly loved it when 'breathe me' by Sia came on at the end of the last one, Sia did vocals with Zero7, one of my fav bands. HERE's a link to the track.

Do you run? Check THIS out

Post #: 23
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 5/6/2010 3:19:19 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quite ridiculous.
if you don't like it don't watch it.
I only watched this show after the rave reviews 2 of my female friends gave it.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 24
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 5/6/2010 6:33:25 PM   
oscarthegrouch

I really like this, well written and some great performances in it. Loved the bit where luther was standing on the edge of the building roof. The villains have been totally loopy, proper bogey men, the vampire story was thebest so far. Hope there is a second series.

Post #: 25
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 6/6/2010 12:27:16 AM   
G.O.B

I've become a big fan of Luther over the course of the series.I'd love for it to get a second series just to see where it could go. Elba is great as are the other cast members.It's a bit sad that some people gave up after the first episode and didn't really give it a chance though.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to oscarthegrouch)
Post #: 26
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 6/6/2010 12:15:35 PM   
princessa

Watched Luther for the first time last week.  It was brilliant; one of the best ep's i have seen on tv.  I am definitely looking forward to this weeks ep.

I really hope that it gets a second series.

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 27
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 6/6/2010 4:49:53 PM   
Peppermint

I've enjoyed this series as well and it should definitely get a second series, imo. I nearly fell out of my chair the other night when Munch from Law & Order: SVU got a mention in Tuesday's episode

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 28
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 7/6/2010 12:51:06 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

I've enjoyed this series as well and it should definitely get a second series, imo. I nearly fell out of my chair the other night when Munch from Law & Order: SVU got a mention in Tuesday's episode

Which now means that Stringer Bell always had an exact physical duplicate on the British Police Force.  Expanded Universe Failure.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 29
RE: Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! - 7/6/2010 2:12:34 PM   
Scruffybobby

I watched the first 3 episodes yesterday on iPlayer - largely becuase I wanted to see what had caused the fuss. Bit of a storm in a teacup I thought, at least in this specific case - at least.

It's a right load of old hokum - and not even remotely believable. It is fun though and Ruth Wilson is strangely appealing as the psycho nemesis. Will catch up on the next 2 tonight before it finishes this week

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Luther (BBC One) - It has Stringer Bell! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI