Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Four Lions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Four Lions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Four Lions - 3/5/2010 3:20:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/5/2010 3:20:50 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Got really high hopes for this. Will hold off reading Kim's thoughts until I see it on Friday given his track record of spoilertastic reviews....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Spoilers - 4/5/2010 7:07:31 PM   
_dan_

Why must so many empire reviews be full of spoilers now?
It's as if they are being used as filler material where there is nothing better to say.

Post #: 3
RE: Spoilers - 4/5/2010 7:32:49 PM   
coljohnmatrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: _dan_

Why must so many empire reviews be full of spoilers now?
It's as if they are being used as filler material where there is nothing better to say.

Got to echo those sentiments. We've basically had a joke spoiled for us (sniper mix-up) by the review.

(in reply to _dan_)
Post #: 4
Prediction: Daily Mail Outraged! - 6/5/2010 7:26:28 PM   
Barry Bethal

If that nonce Tookey was shitting kittens at Kick-Ass I can't wait to see his reaction to this!

(in reply to coljohnmatrix)
Post #: 5
RE: Prediction: Daily Mail Outraged! - 7/5/2010 1:26:43 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barry Bethal

If that nonce Tookey was shitting kittens at Kick-Ass I can't wait to see his reaction to this!

Indeed. I'll be very disappointed if Tookey refrains from his hysterial conservative agenda on this film - surely a shoe in for a one star review?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Barry Bethal)
Post #: 6
Four Lions - 7/5/2010 9:30:04 PM   
durelius

Four stars for Four Lions a film that for once lives up to it's trailer and delivers what you expect, very funny very black humour as you'd expect from Chris Morris. Some things I would have preferred to be different but I ain't gonna say or it'll spoil things for those that haven't seen it yet.

Post #: 7
four lions - 7/5/2010 9:40:01 PM   
moviemaniac2

Four Lions is a brave film, tackling a naturally dark subject manner with the kind of slapstick comedy you'd expect from the latest seat-filler at your local multiplex. it's hilarious and sometimes engaging watch; many scenes will have you genuinely laughing out loud. The group dynamic in particular works very well, delivering a constant stream of laughs.

Post #: 8
RE: four lions - 7/5/2010 10:05:47 PM   
Ethanial

I was really disappointed, I mean it's a good film, but it was only very funny in some moments, going 20 minutes between real laughs at points, with the darker elements poking their noses in at times to make it a horse of a different colour, I'm still sad it never pushed the envelope as much as it could/should have really.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 9
RE: four lions - 8/5/2010 1:58:44 PM   
hatebox

I laughed frequently. Not every joke hits and there's a little too much reliance on the utterly stupid guy (I don't like comedy relying on simpletons for laughs) but the film overall works - the scariest parts are the moments you feel yourself almost sympathizing with this rag tag bunch.

The last quarter of an hour is the best part of the film too, which makes a refreshing change.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 10
RE: four lions - 8/5/2010 3:53:33 PM   
frankie

Really enjoyed it but did feel sympathy for the characters at times which made me a bit uncomfortable. Also there are some poignant moments but the audience I was with laughed at these too which felt odd.
Overall though a brave piece of cinematic genius from Chris Morris. Best Brit film of the year so far.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 11
Excellent - 8/5/2010 6:14:39 PM   
jcallan

Funniest film I've seen in years.

Post #: 12
RE: Excellent - 8/5/2010 6:39:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

What a great movie this was.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jcallan)
Post #: 13
RE: Excellent - 8/5/2010 10:15:02 PM   
Ethanial

I can't find an answer anywhere, that was Ethan Hawke as the hostage negotiator, right? Or is there a doppleganger running around the world living off someone else's looks?

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: Excellent - 9/5/2010 8:49:06 PM   
movieevangelist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

I can't find an answer anywhere, that was Ethan Hawke as the hostage negotiator, right? Or is there a doppleganger running around the world living off someone else's looks?

Sorry, it was Benedict Cumberbatch, possibly the greatest named living British actor, but I'm sure he'll be flattered.

It did annoy me slightly that he and Julia Davis got higher billing on some reviews than the Asian stars of the film, or am I just being too sensitive? Anyway, very good film, did laugh out loud, thought the ending was quite poignant but if anyone should be offended, it's probably the police, for reasons alluded to in the spoiled joke above.

Lovely session booking spreadsheet:
Forumite Booking Spreadsheet
Check the daily tabs to see who's in your sessions!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 15
RE: Four Lions - 9/5/2010 10:07:40 PM   
jrewing1000

I had been waiting to see this since I first heard about how Chris Morris' new comedy was being turned down by virtually every TV station. Firstly, congrats to Morris for his first of what I hope will be many features. I'm a huge fan and this doesn't disappoint.

While not the scathing satire you come to expect from Chris Morris (I was a little disappointed at this), this is still a great comedy worth seeing. It doesn't tackle the deeper issues of terrorism, religious atrocities and politics, but simply depicts 4 bumbling but lovable characters who make one hilarious blunder after another. There are moments where Morris and the writers seem to approach the deeper issues, such as family scenes between Omar, his family and his brother. In fact, Omar is the most complex character, offering us an insight into how ludicrous and crazy the whole Jihadist movement can be.

But I want to write about how I felt. Towards the end I stopped laughing because it went from being a comedy to a tragedy. Morris managed to make me feel both humour and fear at the same time. Quite a feat and I'm not sure I've ever felt that before. It was somewhat confusing.

I'm so happy this film has been made and is playing in the theatres. While not a direct attack on Islam or its prophet - probably saving Morris from the predictable death threats we've come to see when anyone says anything about Islam - Four Lions is a simple story about simple men, involved in a terrifyingly complex situation. The comedy is about the men, not the situation.

Perhaps in the future, Morris will go even further.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 9/5/2010 10:23:06 PM >

Post #: 16
FANTASTIC !!!! - 10/5/2010 6:50:50 AM   
The kUrGaN

Wasn't expecting it to be this good, I'll be honest. Let's face it, it is a deadly serious subject matter....but this will surprise you, and you'll find yourself laughing at situations you never believed an ounce of comedy could ever be wrung from. Brilliant !!!!!

Post #: 17
RE: FANTASTIC !!!! - 10/5/2010 9:17:19 AM   
tftrman

Absolutely hilarious. Many, many memorable scenes - highly recommend it.

(in reply to The kUrGaN)
Post #: 18
RE: Four Lions - 10/5/2010 10:03:06 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

But I want to write about how I felt. Towards the end I stopped laughing because it went from being a comedy to a tragedy. Morris managed to make me feel both humour and fear at the same time. Quite a feat and I'm not sure I've ever felt that before. It was somewhat confusing.

Completely agree with that.  Felt very sad at the end.

Unfortunately I came out of the screening with a blinding headache and feeling sick and all this was down to the shaky cam.  The only other film that made me feel this way was Blair Witch and I had to leave in the end or I'd have thrown up.  I was determined to stick it out in this film as I had been looking forward to it so much.  Glad I did as laughed out loud a lot.  Great to have Chris Morris back.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 19
RE: Four Lions - 10/5/2010 6:29:43 PM   
hampstead bandit

sorry to swim against the tide of popular opinion!

I saw this today, and for the first time in my life, walked out of a film that I had paid good money (London prices!) to see in the cinema

I got 3/4 of the way through and thought "this is total bollocks!"..I have better things to do on my day off, like going food shopping or cleaning the house :(

it was not funny, the characters were too stupid to be real people, and I found it was basically..really, really boring

I'm a fan of Chris Morris's previous work, but this did nothing for me, and in my opinion had no place being distributed into cinemas, if it had been a TV movie (which it felt and looked like) I would have turned over...

1/5

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 20
RE: Four Lions - 12/5/2010 8:44:27 PM   
Bighousewill

Thanks now do I go see this on friday because its my mission to watch as many different movies as I can. My problem is the premise sounds offensive its about radicalised British Muslims, I dont find that ammusing. Perhaps I'll just relax and see it because theres some good feedback and positives reviews. Or I'll just go and watch Robin Hood again because it was ace.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 21
RE: Four Lions - 13/5/2010 10:39:26 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

An offensive subject matter and an equally offensive movie.
There are clearly no limits to the depths some films will go.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 22
RE: Four Lions - 13/5/2010 3:54:35 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

In exactly what way is this film offensive? I'll admit it's provocative but to me it's a film that respects its subject matter to a tee so unless you're falling for the type of Daily Mail guff no doubt attached to it, I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from?

Anyway, excellent film. Very funny in places but does more than offer a few laughs for a couple of hours. Expertly depicts a group of angry men fighting for a cause that they don't even understand properly and consequently, comedic & tragic gold is drawn from the excellent cast - all of which is guided expertly by the hand of Chris Morris.

Possibly the best British film of 2010 so far...

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 23
RE: Four Lions - 13/5/2010 4:11:48 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

In exactly what way is this film offensive? I'll admit it's provocative but to me it's a film that respects its subject matter to a tee so unless you're falling for the type of Daily Mail guff no doubt attached to it, I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from?

But he's right!  Why, if I were a suicide bomber, this film might have made me so angry I'd rush off and do something foolish

On a more serious note, this is one of the funniest films I've seen for a long time.  On paper it might sound like the worst idea in history (a comedy about British suicide bombers?  WTF?), but in practice it works very well indeed.  For me, however, the best feature of this film is the poignancy contained throughout, especially at the end.

This is a very good film indeed.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 24
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 3:56:34 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I don't read the bloody Daily Mail,not that my daily periodical is in any way relevant to or influencing of my opinion on movies!!
Sounds like political spin that.
I found the film offensive as a film because the subject matter could have been handled better,it's crudely aimed at a low target audience,think The Men Who Stare At Goats for those with an IQ of 30.Dire stuff.
It certainly doesn't deliver on any of the quite deep points that you raise-somehow you're looking at sewer water and seeing champagne.
But if you liked it,good for you.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 25
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 3:57:51 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

You wouldn't have to be a suicide bomber to rush off and do something stupid after seeing this movie!
Though it may involve suicide!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 26
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 7:04:51 PM   
Bighousewill

I dont read the the daily mail either I make my own decisions and form my own opinions I usually do the cinema thing on a friday but not today because im offended by this film and im not going to see it, subject not funny! I wont be persuaded otherwise it might be a hoot and... oh look at the stupid jihadi suicide bombers isnt it funny! and culturally relevant it deals so well with the subject matter ha ha bloody haaaa. No thanks not for me.

Post #: 27
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 8:06:04 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill
because im offended by this film and im not going to see it, subject not funny!

... oh look at the stupid jihadi suicide bombers isnt it funny!

You cannot reason with people who will not listen.

You cannot fight those that want to die.

Their strength, ultimately, lays in the fear they induce in others.

If we allow them to scare us, to terrify us, to make us afraid of what might happen, or even to stop us from daring to mock them, then they win.

If we laugh at them, if we ridicule them, if we make a mockery of them, then we take away the fear they induce.  If they do not induce fear, then they have no strength, and we win.

But please, ignore me entirely and feel free to take offence at this film.

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 28
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 8:16:03 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

That's all fine and dandy,i completely agree with your sentiments,but i don't find this film funny!
Film fans/critics are like art fans/critics they see value sometimes in things that are simply worthless.
What next?A comedy about paedophilia?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 29
RE: Four Lions - 14/5/2010 8:48:21 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

That's all fine and dandy,i completely agree with your sentiments, but i don't find this film funny!

So be it.  Humour is subjective.  However, if you completely agree with my sentiments, then you understand the point of the movie.

quote:

Film fans/critics are like art fans/critics they see value sometimes in things that are simply worthless.

As defined by whom?  You?  Me?  Some magical arbiter of what does and does not have worth?

As far as I am concerned, this film has worth because, whether you find it funny or not, it actually dares to mock the misguided twats that think blowing up people on buses and trains will get them in to heaven.  It has worth because every time these jackasses are ridiculed, they lose their power to terrify.

quote:

What next?A comedy about paedophilia?

Strawman.  Paedophilia isn't an ideology that one can be indoctrinated into, it is a sexual preference.  Having said that, watch the Excel Saga anime.  It's already (sort of) been done.

However, I can already sense that this is one of those arguments/debates that will go around, and around, and around, in a never ending cycle...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Four Lions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI