Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fallout: New Vegas

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Fallout: New Vegas Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 23/10/2010 10:40:35 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Loving it so far. After not getting Alan Wake on release day i dont pre-order from anywehere online anymore. Even though it was the Royal mail's fault. So i just went in to town, did a trade and ended up taking it home for just 6.99.

Really enjoying myself so far. I've put five and a half hours in, I'm somewhere between levels 4 and 5. I love the little hints at the bigger picture and references to mysterious characters like mr House and more. Cant wait to actually arrive at the Vegas strip but im gonna take my sweet time to progress through the main story. Will be avoiding spoilers like mad!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 61
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 23/10/2010 2:14:50 PM   
Olaf

My nearest Tesco had a delay getting it in so I picked it up from Xtravision instead (complete with, er, "Caravan Pack"). Started on hardcore (figured that having completed all the previous games, I'll be as ready as I'll ever be ), loving it so far. It definitely alters the way you play the game - I ended up slaughtering a prison full of Powder Gangers after the guard mentioned they had beds and clean water inside... From what I've seen of the new weapons, the laser/tommy gun hybrid thing and the sticks of dynamite are pretty nifty (though ammo weight means I can't hoard for selling later anymore :/ ). I haven't come across too many glitches yet, a gecko stuck in a cliff the highlight so far.

PS try to avoid the quarry. (potential spoilers) lvl 2 + nest of Deathclaws = unpleasantness

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 62
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 23/10/2010 4:24:28 PM   
Super Hans

I'm glad that the opinion is good so far! Unfortnuately I won't be getting this before Christmas but I have put it on the Christmas/Birthday present ideas list that my wife has badgered me into making!

If I'm lucky I will have a happy new year in the wastelands!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 63
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 23/10/2010 10:21:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

So I had my first run in with the Legion today, what a lovely bunch of chaps. It probably didn't help that I was wearing NCR armour at the time so I had 5 of the feckers chasing me and barely any ammo to shoot them with. 12 stimpaks and a shitload of hassle later I was ok but jaysus wept what a challenge.

I look forward to whooping their asses when I've levelled up (level 6 at the mo), the crazy muddy funkers.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 64
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 23/10/2010 10:52:09 PM   
Olaf

SPOILERS BELOW (not plot spoilers, but just in case):

has anyone else come across the nuked fridge yet? Poor Indy

< Message edited by Olaf -- 23/10/2010 10:53:03 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 65
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 4:34:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I got my first companion today. I may have to get rid of him though because he's ninjaing my XP. He's fucking deadly with a sniper rifle and is one shot killing pretty much everything at the mo. Loving this game so far it has to be said.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 66
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 4:44:58 PM   
directorscut

Companions well written? Personal quests?  Lots of dialogue? Mr Tuttle?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 67
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 5:00:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Companions well written? Personal quests?  Lots of dialogue? Mr Tuttle?

My current companion seems to have more depth than any of the ones in Fallout 3. I doubt I'll develop a lasting bond with the guy (ala Liara T'soni) but he has a back story and feels like he's more than a loot carrier at least. I had to complete a quest to get him on my side and I'm actually hopeful this may develop into another quest later on (it genuinely does feel like his back story has some more legs than what I've discovered thus far). I'd say I've engaged in quite a bit of dialogue with him as well, especially in comparison to the Fallout 3 guys.

The companions are definitely better, whether they'll have the depth to meet your standards are another thing though

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 68
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 7:56:14 PM   
directorscut

My standard is good writing!

I think Dog from Dragon Age had more personality than any of the Fallout 3 companions.  In fact the best Fallout 3 companion was Three Dog despite his propensity for repeating the same stories over and over and having the same CD on repeat. 

It's a shame as Bethesda did write some great NPCs for FO3, you'd have to wonder why they didn't make any effort for the ones that would follow you!

Good to hear Obsidian have made some progress in this regard.  I'd trade some of that huge world for a couple of great friends to share my trip across the wasteland.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 69
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 8:00:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

My standard is good writing!

I think Dog from Dragon Age had more personality than any of the Fallout 3 companions.  In fact the best Fallout 3 companion was Three Dog despite his propensity for repeating the same stories over and over and having the same CD on repeat. 

It's a shame as Bethesda did write some great NPCs for FO3, you'd have to wonder why they didn't make any effort for the ones that would follow you!

Good to hear Obsidian have made some progress in this regard.  I'd trade some of that huge world for a couple of great friends to share my trip across the wasteland.

One thing I would note though is that the companion I've got doesn't say a fucking word unless questioned. I'm sure even Fawkes used to come out with some decent lines when killing folk. Just a few incidental lines when wandering would add a lot IMO. Still, it's better than what came before it. I do hope my hunch regarding my companion having more to say and more missions to contribute is correct, otherwise Obsidian are just a bunch of prickteases.

I hated Three Dog and killed him the first chance i got .

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 70
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 9:22:14 PM   
MarcE

I'm nearly level 5 now.

Done all I can in Goodsprings, everywhere I go a new quest turns up! I've just recruited Boone and found a few places along the way. I don't think my armour/guns are powerful enough to sort the Glowing Ones out near Novac just yet.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 71
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 9:27:14 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I got my first companion today. I may have to get rid of him though because he's ninjaing my XP. He's fucking deadly with a sniper rifle and is one shot killing pretty much everything at the mo. Loving this game so far it has to be said.

I got this companion a while back too.  Crack shot with the rifle, saved my ass more than a couple of times   Although I thought XP was shared, I'm sure that my companion has killed a few enemies and I've received XP   Also, does anyone know how many companions you can have at any one time?  If it is one I may have just missed out on recruiting another companion  

Overall, I definitely feel that Obsidian have made New Vegas feel sufficiently different from the Capital Wasteland and the amount of content that they have added is admirable.  For me the most noticeable improvement is the voice-acting, it gives all the NPCs much more character and there was one occasion that had me lol.  But I think another poster mentioned earlier about how they played the hell out of Fallout 3 and that they might suffer from Fallout fatigue if they played New Vegas.  Well, I wouldnt say I'm at fatigue levels, but I'm definitely not enjoying it as much as the original.  Plus all the glitches, freezes and frame-rate issues are starting to become a bit of a problem . 

And another thing, how do you use the different types of ammo?  At the moment I just seem to be stockpiling it, good thing I'm not playing hardcore...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 72
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 24/10/2010 10:02:46 PM   
MarcE

2 companions.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 73
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 12:49:40 AM   
thepluginbaby

I just picked up a companion called Veronica. She's a lesbian scribe for the Brotherhood of Steel, and is pretty handy with a power fist. She also serves as a portable workbench. I like her already. Im guessing she'll have a side quest involving the brotherhood, which is cool because I miss those guys. The writing and voice acting of all the NPCs is generally of a higher standard in New Vegas. As much as I liked Fawkes in Fallout 3, she just carried all the power armour for me...

Also ran into the legion for the first time yesterday. Bastards.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 74
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 10:48:44 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

She's a lesbian scribe for the Brotherhood of Steel, and is pretty handy with a power fist.

Is that really the best description you can give her?

I've just recently got into Fallout 3 in a big way after finally taking the plastic wrapping off it after 6 months or so - is it worth completing it before trying New Vegas, as I'm more than a little intrigued with the new chapter already?

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 25/10/2010 10:49:52 AM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 75
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 12:27:27 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

I just picked up a companion called Veronica. She's a lesbian scribe for the Brotherhood of Steel, and is pretty handy with a power fist. She also serves as a portable workbench. I like her already. Im guessing she'll have a side quest involving the brotherhood, which is cool because I miss those guys. The writing and voice acting of all the NPCs is generally of a higher standard in New Vegas. As much as I liked Fawkes in Fallout 3, she just carried all the power armour for me...

Without going into too many spoilers.  Do you recruit this member the first time you see her?  I ran into her the other day but when I tried to recruit her there wasnt an option, it was either ''no'' or ''I'm not ready for you to join us''.  Bull crap....

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 76
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 12:33:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Game glitched on me last night and i lost two hours! It was two of my save files that corrupted. When i tried to load them it told me the saves where dependant on dlc that i didnt have anymore! I havent even been on live since picking up the game. Weird. All sorted now and ive made up the two hours!

Ten hours in now and loving it. Currently level 8. Got my first companion, boone. Git my first quest related achievement too, come fly with me? For those who have done its a great story that i sense will come back!

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 77
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 1:00:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've got 2 companions at the moment, Boone and  ED-E, and to be honest the game's difficulty has gone down quite considerably as a result. I barely knock off chip damage on a Giant Rad Scorpion but Boon is fucking them up in one shot. ED-E is actually a bit pointless but ***SPOILER** he does come in handy when you get to HELION 1 (I think that's what the Power Station's called anyway) ** END SPOILER**.

I'm avoiding the main story as much as possible at the moment and just keep visiting the map markers as they appear. Have gotten a shit load of cool side missions so far by doing this (including beating the shit out of a Legion officer in an interrogation room ) so I think I'll continue for the forseeable future.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 78
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 1:10:18 PM   
Scott_

I got 4 companions and I found Chuck from Chuck...I don't use any of them, I prefer being a lone wolf. Boone is pretty damn handy though. I got me a badass silenced sniper and all I need now is one of those cool sets of armour the guy on the box art is wearing but I can't find anyone wearing it.

I've just done the 3rd main mission I think and I've now hit a wall with the amount of choices I have...I seriously have no idea what I should do....theres so many options for me.

Such an awesome game but one thing thats annoying me is whenever I kill raiders or ghouls I keep getting good karma when I'm trying to stay neutral.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 79
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 5:22:21 PM   
thepluginbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

Without going into too many spoilers. Do you recruit this member the first time you see her? I ran into her the other day but when I tried to recruit her there wasnt an option, it was either ''no'' or ''I'm not ready for you to join us''. Bull crap....

Yes, I recruited her when I first met her. Though I was about level 10 when I first came across her. I'm also trying to be a good character in my choices, though I am forever stealing shit, but I don't think this negative karma actually effects how others see you. I read that somewhere though, so not 100% sure.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 80
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 8:35:47 PM   
MarcE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_
I've now hit a wall with the amount of choices I have...I seriously have no idea what I should do....theres so many options for me.

Such an awesome game but one thing thats annoying me is whenever I kill raiders or ghouls I keep getting good karma when I'm trying to stay neutral.

I know exactly what you mean! I have so many quests on the go, I don't know what to get on with!

I don't think you got karma for killing ghouls in Fallout 3 but I got good karma earlier at RAPCONN.

How effective is Boone too! :cool:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 81
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 25/10/2010 9:14:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Level 15 now and I've finally gotten to the strip. Was in Freeside for about 5 or 6 hours mopping up the missions from all the different factions. Took me a good bit of thinking just to be able to complete 2 different missions that seemingly clashed. 22+ hours to get to the strip (and I've actually got 4 missions in my quest list that are based outside the strip, just waiting till I level up a bit) is a fair bit of game for my money fair play.

Got rid of Boone for a bit as I had to enlist someone else for a certain mission and found I missed him almost immediately, he's become a bit of a crutch for me already. You can have 2 companions at any time it seems but only one can be human. I've had a human and robot combo and now I've got a human and robodog combo which rocks (the human being Boone again, something "happened" to the other human I had).

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 82
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 26/10/2010 8:04:30 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

******** SPOILERS FOR HELIOS ONE AND E-DE ******************

I have a question relating to E-DE and Helios One: I have a quest stating i should take E-DE to the Gibson scrapyard yet when i try and interract with the damaged robot it tells me my skill isnt high enough to repair it. Yet you guys seem to have him as a companion already. Do you just have a high science or repair skill or am i missing something? I've already explored Helios One and have reset the satellite dishes and cleared out the Robobrain's from the main transmitter building. All i have to do is fix the generator then decide where to route the power.

*****************  SPOILERS FOR CAMP FORLORN HOPE **************

Also I'm doing some minor quests for the NCR at Camp Forlorn Hope and the Doc says that someone is stealing his medical supplies at night, however when i stakeout the camps medical centre at night (as advised) i never seem to find the culprit. Suggestions?

Post #: 83
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 26/10/2010 1:43:57 PM   
Stevie91

man this is an amazing game, i just cant stop playing it! and loving the hardcore mode

one thing is for sure thought - i'll never buy games from tescos again.
firstly they didnt include the 800MS points that was part of their deal, after going back in the store i waited 10 minutes for someone to go get me the points, only for them to come back and say they didnt have any left. i then waited another 5 minutes while she suggested she asks the manager what to do...i got a 10.00 tesco money card. Oh joy!

Post #: 84
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 26/10/2010 3:53:08 PM   
dr. salvador

Are there many quests to do in Goodsprings? I want to do a couple before leaving but after doing a few tutorial ones i've got nothing (except the main story quest)

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to Stevie91)
Post #: 85
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 26/10/2010 7:25:16 PM   
Olaf

Go up to the petrol station and speak to Ringo, there's a mission involving him where you protect the town from Powder Gangers/help Powder Gangers take over the place. Having a decent medical/explosives/barter/speech skill (25 in any of them) will help.

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 86
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 26/10/2010 7:39:26 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Currently level 10 and am pottering around Camp Forlorn Hope, about to assist the NCR with their woes. Loving it apart from glitches which are fairly regular. They're a bit annoying as Fallout 3 didn't have such glaring problems.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 87
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 27/10/2010 4:21:27 PM   
SWOTBM

These game bugs are absolutely shocking.  I currently have a bug which causes the game to freeze up whenever I try to assign a weapon to a hotkey or even press a hotkey button in game.  So I cant even press the D-pad in-game  

Hope Obsidian patch this soon because it is really putting me off playing it anymore, I mean 30+ hours in and I cant even press the D-pad.  WTF?!1111

Post #: 88
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 27/10/2010 10:05:30 PM   
MarcE

I finished Come Fly With Me tonight. Levelled up to Level 6 and chose the follower perk, which gives them 50% more energy when yours is down. I'm expecting big things from Boone now!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 89
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 28/10/2010 1:41:01 AM   
Olaf

Up to level 13 and trying to decide which endgame I want (the "Wild Card" one is tempting). Will probably set a new save point and do all of them anyway at some point. Not rushing it though, just exploring at the moment. (question for anyone who's completed That Lucky Old Sun: did you blow Fantastic's head off as well? If so, how did you manage to stop yourself?)

Also, the giant mutated wasps are the single most annoying thing in the whole game. Fact. [insert your own awful joke about bugs here]

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Fallout: New Vegas Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI