Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fallout: New Vegas

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Fallout: New Vegas Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 9:51:08 AM   
ace14

I have a couple of questions that I am sure the passionate Fallout fans here will be able to clear up

I liked Mass Effect, however I dont think I scratched the surface on that one and it fell out of favour and I traded it in, will Fallout be a similar experience?
Is it a FPS or third-person?
Is the story easy to follow eg are you given checkpoints to reach or can you approach whichever way you want?
As a fan of G.O.W will I be overwhelmed with the amount to do?
Should I pick up Fallout 3 first, seeing as it is relatively cheap?
I know I may be now starting to sound like a whiny little bitch, but with Fifa 11 and F1 taking up my time should I wait till the New Year before taking the plunge?

Thanks in advance, as I know I will probably get some helpful, informative and witty responses

The Dredd thread is sucking my will to live

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 31
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 10:27:15 AM   
TrendMeUp

Fallout 3 was a deeper game than either Mass Effect. The amount there is to do is quite staggering.

It's first person. The battle system is quite cool thanks to the VATS system which allows you to pause the action and target certain body parts. Much of it is still based on stats though so the role playing element is very much tied into the combat.

Fallout is very open world. You can do whatever you want whenever you want pretty much. Because of this, the narrative isn't a patch on a game like Mass Effect. Infact I think that the biggest hang up with Fallout is the story and character interaction is pretty poor. This is kind of a natural sacrifice due to the huge, open nature of the game.

If you think you're capable of being overwhelmed by a game, then Fallout may well overwhelm you. There is an awful lot to see and do. Of course you can just follow the main quest line if you choose to. It's fairly easy to navigate your way around the map and go to quest marker to quest marker. You don't normally have to spend ages finding out what to do next in the main mission. It's normally made very clear.

Yes. Because it's very good and if you don't like it, you won't be wasting 40 big ones.

I can't really answer this as I don't know how much time you have on your hands.

Still nothing from IGN or Gamespot, but the reviews that are coming in seem to be hovering around the 4/5 territory, stating the lack of any major gameplay improvements and zero graphical improvements as a downside.

< Message edited by TrendMeUp -- 19/10/2010 10:30:24 AM >

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to ace14)
Post #: 32
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 1:01:50 PM   
Scott_

IGN Review

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 19/10/2010 1:04:56 PM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 33
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 1:19:09 PM   
thepluginbaby

G4 gave it a 4 out of 5. http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61733/fallout-new-vegas/index/ They say that the story isn't as good as Fallout 3 but the deeper companion system may aleviate this. They also say there are a couple of game breaking glitches but there was that in Fallout 3 anyway.

Oh and as if Chandler is in the game... I think I may just hunt him down and kill him first...

I've already paid my money for this.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 34
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 1:32:46 PM   
sroey

CVG's review notes the outdated tech

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 35
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 1:55:58 PM   
Super Hans

I'll have to read the full IGN review later but the summary scores sound promising!  To be honest, I got the impression it was just a variation on Fallout 3's model rather than a fully new incarnation (like a GTA Vice City than a GTA4 kind of thing...) so the lack of graphical improvement dosen't bother me.

Ace14, I'd say give Fallout 3 a go (the standard edition is quite cheap now I think).  I haven't played Mass Effect so have no basis for comparisson, but the fact that you have played another RPG means you're more familiar with the genre than I was and I loved Fallout 3.

I was a little intimidated by the saize of it but the basic rule of thumb I think is to just take your time.  Exploring the land is very satifying and the main story is potentially quite short and easy anyway so you don't want to rush.

In terms of how long it took, I spent 70 hours on it (and that's without playing any add on packs) so it will devour you, but I was quite happy to surrender the time!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 36
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 2:04:22 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

CVG's review notes the outdated tech

I'd take a game of substance with "outdated tech" over the latest 5 hour COD/GOW rip-off with 95% of their budget devoted to making things look shiny every day of the week and twice on release day.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 37
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 6:34:50 PM   
From_Hell

Review from OXM is here: http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=23028. The negative in this review is the (ever so slightly) dated game engine.... Looking good!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 38
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 7:34:00 PM   
Charles B. Potatoes

I spent 75 hours playing Fallout 3, I've never spent so long on one game. Looking forward to spending another couple of months playing New Vegas. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 39
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 19/10/2010 9:13:53 PM   
Stevie91

break out the rad-ex, i feel another post apocalyptic gaming marathon coming on 

(in reply to Charles B. Potatoes)
Post #: 40
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 20/10/2010 12:15:48 PM   
Badgers

I enjoyed fallout 3 but never got round to completing it, can't remember why I stopped playing. Won't be buying this on release as NBA 2k11 is taking up all my time at the moment, will probably wait for a game of the year edition or for it to seriously drop in price or something.

Hardcore mode sounds awesome, but only if its that you need to eat drink and sleep etc. It would be annoying if it made the enemies a million times harder aswell.

Stuntcock!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Just let me know where and when.

(in reply to Stevie91)
Post #: 41
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 20/10/2010 8:16:18 PM   
MarcE

HMV emailed me yesterday to say it had been despatched, wishful thinking on my part that it would arrive early!

Still, should have i for day of release!

(in reply to Badgers)
Post #: 42
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 1:38:20 AM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarcE

HMV emailed me yesterday to say it had been despatched, wishful thinking on my part that it would arrive early!

Still, should have i for day of release!

My copy has been posted too   Really looking forward to playing this as Fallout 3 is one of the best games I've played on the PS3.  Cannot wait til Friday, or hopefully later this morning....

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 43
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 8:16:36 AM   
borstal

800 msp free when you buy New Vegas at Tesco

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 44
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 11:26:24 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Is that in store borstal? I was gonna hold out on this but after the reviews i just can't. 800 MSP would be a nice little bonus with it!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 45
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 12:12:00 PM   
SWOTBM

Shopto you are a beauty   Got my copy today, so I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the day.  Cannot recommend Shopto enough, at only 35 and a day before release, that's some customer service. 

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 46
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 12:13:50 PM   
Scott_

You lucky sod!

I ordered from ShopTo aswell but the postman hasn't been yet, the lazy git...

EDIT: Nevermind. It's here now...

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 21/10/2010 12:19:05 PM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 47
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 12:52:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Exclusive DLC for 360

I'll be picking this up at the weekend (probs from Tesco thanks to the heads up off borstal) and I've got the week off next week to play it. I can't wait, this will be the first game I've bought since Splinter Cell Conviction came out.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 48
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 3:58:12 PM   
thepluginbaby

It arrived this morning. Thank God for Shopto!

Haven't ventured very far from Goodsprings yet. Though I did see the lights of new vegas from the cemetery with the water tower. Got absolutely slaughtered by a giant radscorpion. I am only level 2...

Oh Fallout, its good to have you back again.

Anyone came across any glitches yet?

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 49
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 4:15:36 PM   
Stevie91

thanks for the heads up borstal, to tescos!

anybody else gonna try hardcore mode from the start?

Post #: 50
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 4:36:38 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

It arrived this morning. Thank God for Shopto!

Haven't ventured very far from Goodsprings yet. Though I did see the lights of new vegas from the cemetery with the water tower. Got absolutely slaughtered by a giant radscorpion. I am only level 2...

Anyone came across any glitches yet?

I came across a couple of glitches, the most annoying being a gecko that got stuck in a rock which meant I couldnt kill it (it was part of a mission, not just a random gecko too ).  I'm just about to leave Goodsprings (also a level 2) and I think this is the best part about Fallout imo, exploring the wasteland, random encounters and ''prospecting''.  It also seems as though the graphics seem slightly sharper than Fallout 3, though it has been so long since I last played Fallout 3 that I may be mistaken.  Rather comical than the character models are the same (Moira masquerading as Sunny ), but the voice acting is much better than Fallout 3.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stevie91

anybody else gonna try hardcore mode from the start?

I'll do that in my second playthrough, as it is one of the trophies.  Imagine that it will be quite challenging, but if you just do the main missions it shouldnt be too bad. 

Post #: 51
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 6:25:39 PM   
MarcE

Was hoping it would be here :(

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 52
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 7:49:18 PM   
TrendMeUp

I'm definitely trying Hardcore from the start. It sounds like it will make the game more challenging in a totally fun way rather than an annoying "make every enemy invincible" kind of way.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 53
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 8:17:37 PM   
From_Hell

Does New Vegas have a similar 'wow moment' like Fallout 3 did near the beginning, when you left the Vault for the first time, or do you start the game on the Wastelands?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 54
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 9:08:20 PM   
From_Hell

Review from Gamespot. Not quite as warm as other ones I've seen - they even describe F:NV as a 'technological mess'.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/falloutnewvegas/review.html?tag=topslot%3Btitle%3B1&page=2

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 55
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 21/10/2010 10:20:30 PM   
thepluginbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

Does New Vegas have a similar 'wow moment' like Fallout 3 did near the beginning, when you left the Vault for the first time, or do you start the game on the Wastelands?

Not really. It begins by you getting shot in the head by Matthew Perry...

Actually, I thought I read that at the beginning of this game you were supposed to be able to choose from various different backgrounds, like vault dweller, ghoul, etc. Sort of a bit like Dragon Age. Maybe that was an earlier build of the game.

I'm in Goodsprings at the moment, and I was going to defend it from the powder gangs but before I did, I went to convince Tracy (owner of the Prospectors inn) as part of the optional quest. Anyway to cut a long story short, I found her dead in one of the caravana. Did I miss something? All this talk of glitching has gotten me paranoid...

< Message edited by thepluginbaby -- 21/10/2010 10:21:39 PM >

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 56
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 22/10/2010 12:39:07 AM   
Stevie91

aw c'mon, at least make it spoiler proof

Post #: 57
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 22/10/2010 6:27:29 PM   
MarcE

Well I won't be using HMV online again,

Ordered on 6th, despatched on 19th and still not here.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 58
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 22/10/2010 6:47:12 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarcE

Well I won't be using HMV online again,

Ordered on 6th, despatched on 19th and still not here.

To be fair, once it's been dispatched surely it's outside of HMV's control?

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 59
RE: Fallout: New Vegas - 22/10/2010 7:23:24 PM   
MarcE

I'm just moaning because I can't play it!!

I used to work for Gamestation so understand all that!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Fallout: New Vegas Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI