Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 10:55:25 PM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

And I'm done with the game. I'm shocked that a game of this size, with a budget it commands can be this broken.

From Twitter the creators seem to be more interested in sorting out the amount of UAV's rather than the connection and spawn problems. I'm sick of going 1v1 against a player running the same weapons+attachments and perks, hitting them three times and then die as they get one shot off on me.

Mundane maps and objective games full of players who are more worried about their KD than capping points means it's the first CoD game since WaW that I've traded in within a month.

It's also made me reconsider the FPS market. Battlefield looks like the more viable option these days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If your consideration of the FPS market is limited to just COD and Battlefield then you are truly doomed and may God have mercy on your soul.

Well, what better FPS is there than these two? Halo, lol? No, thanks.
I guess Borderlands would be the only alternative, but you get kind of bored of it after a while. CS is shit.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 961
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 10:55:42 PM   
James2183

quote:

If your consideration of the FPS market is limited to just COD and Battlefield then you are truly doomed and may God have mercy on your soul.

TF2 is dead on 360. I'm not a fan of Halo, Borderlands 2 and Farcry 3 are on Xmas list and my friends play nothing else but CoD and Battlefield.

What are the other options?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 962
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 10:56:45 PM   
Powka

quote:

Mundane maps and objective games full of players who are more worried about their KD than capping points means it's the first CoD game since WaW that I've traded in within a month.

How did you do that, James?

I went to trade in mine, but they said they won't take it because there's a Steam code in there. Was yours a console version?

< Message edited by Powka -- 1/12/2012 10:59:41 PM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 963
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 10:59:20 PM   
Powka

quote:

quote:

TF2 is dead on 360. I'm not a fan of Halo, Borderlands 2 and Farcry 3 are on Xmas list and my friends play nothing else but CoD and Battlefield.

There aren't really any other options, unless you like to play CS on PC. But I don't see why someone can't choose between BF3 and CoD - they're both good and different from each other.

I personally got back to Black Ops, the original. Still good, love that game. As for Black Ops 2, zombies are not bad, especially Tranzit.

< Message edited by Powka -- 1/12/2012 11:00:20 PM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 964
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 11:12:14 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

quote:

How did you do that, James?

I went to trade in mine, but they said they won't take it because there's a Steam code in there. Was yours a console version?

I'm on 360

Going back to MW3 for foreseeable future. I'm only 2,000 kills off 100,000

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 965
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 11:21:39 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

And I'm done with the game. I'm shocked that a game of this size, with a budget it commands can be this broken.

From Twitter the creators seem to be more interested in sorting out the amount of UAV's rather than the connection and spawn problems. I'm sick of going 1v1 against a player running the same weapons+attachments and perks, hitting them three times and then die as they get one shot off on me.

It's also made me reconsider the FPS market. Battlefield looks like the more viable option these days.

quote:

Well, what better FPS is there than these two? Halo, lol? No, thanks.
I guess Borderlands would be the only alternative, but you get kind of bored of it after a while. CS is shit.

You jest, surely? COD and BF3 are the dirge of modern gaming. Banal, script-event ridden corridor shooter shit that don't allow you to move two inches outside its parameters without telling you to get back in line. Making a list of better FPSs would be incredibly time consuming.

Halo, while far from the pinnacle of the genre at least has large, open maps and a fairly significant level of freedom and a distinctive visual style.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 966
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 11:31:29 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

How about not giving into peer pressure and play some single player games?

DOOM 1&2
Duke Nukem 3D
L4D 1&2
Serious Sam HD
Crysis
UT3

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 967
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 11:34:00 PM   
James2183

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about not giving into peer pressure and play some single player games?

DOOM 1&2
Duke Nukem 3D
L4D 1&2
Serious Sam HD
Crysis
UT3

How about a game that isn't a rerelease or released in the last 6 months?

Crysis was mundane.

Besides, games that are designed to be played online (L4D, UT3) are boring in single player mode.

Post #: 968
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 1/12/2012 11:36:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Crysis was mundane.

So says the guy who played the last couple of COD games for 20 days +.

quote:

Besides, games that are designed to be played online (L4D, UT3) are boring in single player mode.

Don't have a problem getting players in L4D matches. Still lots playing it. Haven't played UT3 recently.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 969
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 1:20:04 AM   
Powka

quote:

You jest, surely? COD and BF3 are the dirge of modern gaming. Banal, script-event ridden corridor shooter shit that don't allow you to move two inches outside its parameters without telling you to get back in line. Making a list of better FPSs would be incredibly time consuming.

Halo, while far from the pinnacle of the genre at least has large, open maps and a fairly significant level of freedom and a distinctive visual style.

I jest? Dude, you do realize that CoD and BF3 are two THE most popular FPS of this decade. Black Ops outsold not only every FPS, but every game on it's release; so did MW3 (not only that; they beat every film release of the year); so did Black Ops 2 (http://mashable.com/2012/11/18/black-ops-2/) It doesn't matter if you hate them, that doesn't mean Activision or EA will make less money, people love it, that's why they buy the game. Films ideology doesn't apply to video games, because gaming is not art, so the more popular the game is that means the better it is.

Gamers know what Halo is. People know what Call of Duty is. That is the truth.

You don't have to make a list man. Google it - there already are lists of best FPS, with CoD and Battlefield always being at the top of those.

I found it funny how some people keep saying that Halo is more popular than CoD, while Black Ops 2 is №1 on XBox 360 Charts (which is Halo's home, isn't? Kind of sad, especially because Black Ops 2 was release for PS3, Wii U and PC too + it's alternative for PS Vita), Halo 4 №2, and then MW3 still №4.

The reason people keep screaming all those hateful comments towards Call of Duty (me included), is because it's the top game and we expect it to be PERFECT. I don't say anything about Halo 4, because I don't care about Halo 4, and so does the major population. And I'm not even talking about the other FPS, as they're not even in the Top 10.

I'm sorry, but it really gets me agitated reading these comments of CoD, or BF3 being the worst games. That's just your opinion. In general, they're considered the best. BF3 for tactical/strategy FPS, and CoD for brainless run-shoot-run (which is my favorite type of FPS). I hate BF3 myself, but I don't go around saying that it's the shitty FPS, because it's NOT - I know it, and so does every non-ignorant gamer.

I personally think that Halo is a piece of cal, but fortunately for me, my opinion coincides with most people's view of the game.

That's talking about Multiplayer-only, mind you.

< Message edited by Powka -- 2/12/2012 2:54:15 AM >

Well suck me sideways!

Post #: 970
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 2:04:14 AM   
Olaf

Hahaha oh wow.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 971
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 2:17:27 AM   
directorscut

This is a piss-take, right?

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 972
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 2:54:59 AM   
Powka

quote:

This is a piss-take, right?

No.

Well suck me sideways!

Post #: 973
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 2:59:30 AM   
Olaf

quote:

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 974
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:05:32 AM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

I reiterate: video games are not art, therefore the same ideology doesn't apply to them. As for Nazis, this reference is a little out of place here.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 975
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:12:09 AM   
Olaf

If your favourite series is Call of Duty (or indeed the only game series you play, as mentioned above), then it's probably understandable that you consider videogames to be an artless medium. play something like Ico or Earthbound and get back to me.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 976
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:17:08 AM   
Powka

Too many people that consider themselves "true fans", "film buffs", "hardcore gamers", etc, etc in the gaming world, film world, music world are very pretentious. Trying to be more cultured, because liking something that is popular is "not cool" for them. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for games - if you don't like it, it's just YOUR. BAD. TASTE. Give me 5 reasons why other multiplayer is better, and I'll give you 10 reasons why it's not. It's really not that hard. There's a reason why EA and Activision are such huge in the video games industry. They make games that people buy and enjoy playing without giving much thought about a very few who think these games aren't up to the whatever the hell they are looking for.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 977
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:19:29 AM   
Powka

quote:

If your favourite series is Call of Duty (or indeed the only game series you play, as mentioned above), then it's probably understandable that you consider videogames to be an artless medium. play something like Ico or Earthbound and get back to me.

Alright, I must clarify - FPS games that rely on Multiplayer are not to be considered as part of an art form. I'm sure there are masterpieces in the video games medium, but we're talking solely Multiplayer FPS here.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 978
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:27:18 AM   
Olaf

Oh, I certainly don't consider myself in the majority when it comes to my opinion on the series (the same way I don't consider myself in the majority when it comes to the Transformers movies, going by their box office takings). As much as I would love to bring myself to appreciate the oppressively linear level design, hand-holding AI and cliched plot/characterisation, these things are kind of deal-breakers. I'm intrigued as to how appreciation of film or music is subjective but there's an objective standard upon which to judge videogames, though.

(edit - just seen your second post now, though I'm still not fully clear on this issue. is it down to COD having a large number of people online? if so, does that make it good because it's popular rather than popular because it's good? Confused.)

< Message edited by Olaf -- 2/12/2012 3:29:58 AM >

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 979
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 4:27:50 AM   
Powka

quote:

(edit - just seen your second post now, though I'm still not fully clear on this issue. is it down to COD having a large number of people online? if so, does that make it good because it's popular rather than popular because it's good? Confused.)

Well yes, the message that I'm trying to send is that it's popular because it's good. At least it's better than most. Same with BF3, which is on the same level as COD. The rest of Multiplayer games just fall down below of these two. There are no FPS that can stand, and even of some people prefer Halo 4 over COD or CS over BF3, how would that make them better games if the majority prefers COD and BF3? It's not like Halo 4 and CS don't have their flaws.

I would like to repeat this: Halo 4, one of the most popular games in the history, was released on Xbox 360. Black Ops 2 was released on Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Wii U, and stands above the Halo 4 with more players enjoying it. Hell, we can go and read some forums, with the most common response being something in the lines of "Black Ops 2 sucks, but it's still better than [insert the name of any other FPS]!"

BF3 and COD have things that I see people might not enjoy, but so do other games; the difference is that those flaws of other games are much more significant than those of COD and BF3.

EDIT: I really don't mind anyone bringing up any other multiplayer FPS to compare and discuss. Because right now, I don't even know what those "other games" even are, except for possible concurrency from CS and Halo 4. I mean this in the nicest way possible.

< Message edited by Powka -- 2/12/2012 4:37:48 AM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 980
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 12:52:54 PM   
kata

quote:

Too many people that consider themselves "true fans", "film buffs", "hardcore gamers", etc, etc in the gaming world, film world, music world are very pretentious. Trying to be more cultured, because liking something that is popular is "not cool" for them. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for games - if you don't like it, it's just YOUR. BAD. TASTE. Give me 5 reasons why other multiplayer is better, and I'll give you 10 reasons why it's not. It's really not that hard. There's a reason why EA and Activision are such huge in the video games industry. They make games that people buy and enjoy playing without giving much thought about a very few who think these games aren't up to the whatever the hell they are looking for.

Should have just posted the bold bit.

You've basically just described the lowest common denominator?

< Message edited by kata -- 2/12/2012 1:04:10 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 981
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 2:58:00 PM   
Powka

I still don't see any game here that would challenge Call of Duty or Battlefield. Anyone wants to have a go?

Or are these some imaginary games just for the point of the argument?

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 982
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 3:07:46 PM   
Ghidorah

I can't see the COD series improving since Infrantryward left. The series haven't been good since. They may of fouled some people by dumping random developers into an empty Infrantryward studio but Modern Warfare 3 was dull. Treyarch CODs are dull and the only thing they did right was a balance multiplayer for Black Ops 1. Every year COD is getting less serious or tense and more stupid with each title released. The series is now a low denominator game and unlikely to return to series roots.
The next gen will be interesting but I doubt Activision will make any improvements. There maybe fresh paint on the Call Of Duty engine but by then will be playing 36+ players Battlefield 4. Hopefully it will be on the Xbox 3rd/PS4. I can't see the series improving especially the titles after Modern Warfare 2 are worst and change the basic coding.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 983
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 5:08:10 PM   
kata

quote:

I still don't see any game here that would challenge Call of Duty or Battlefield. Anyone wants to have a go?

Or are these some imaginary games just for the point of the argument?

It's each to their own isn't it, Challenge CoD or BF?
I played both those games up until their modern iterations (MW2 & BF3) where I found them crude and unappealing, moved on to something else silently.

I play Red Orchestra 2 and that regularly struggles to top 1000 concurrent players. Does that make it 0.01% as good as CoD?

Not sure what you're point is, are you trying to prove that something is factually better because of its success?

CoD and BF are now basically modern pop music.

< Message edited by kata -- 2/12/2012 5:15:23 PM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 984
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 7:28:41 PM   
Ghidorah

The problem is Call Of Duty's success had a big impact on military shooters. All the other successful shooters are either something new aka Gears of War or take a different aproach to the FPS combat like the Halo series. Any other series that does traditional military FPS either stop being made or get unnotice. This may be different in the PC market but it's very noticable in the 360 market. This make Battlefield 3 a welcome change as realistic shooters become tone down to maxiumise sales only to be eradicated by Call of Duty success.

Rainbow Six was a mature series which became silly in this generation. Hour long levels, stupid stories, little tactics, self recovery and sailor swearing enemies. The good thing was the multiplayer was more complex than Call Of Duty 4 and it was a welcome change from Run 'n' Gun. Climbing ropes, hide behind furniture and the best bit was the doors could open. Another great thing was a lot of stuff was destructible. Only thing let the multiplayer down were the bugs.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 985
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 7:44:57 PM   
James2183

Completed the single player earlier - a lot better than I was expecting and the alternate endings were a nice touch.

But with MP as broken as it is I've already traded it in. I'll be returning to MW3 no doubt now.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 986
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 10:37:57 PM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

I played both those games up until their modern iterations (MW2 & BF3) where I found them crude and unappealing, moved on to something else silently.

I play Red Orchestra 2 and that regularly struggles to top 1000 concurrent players. Does that make it 0.01% as good as CoD?

Not sure what you're point is, are you trying to prove that something is factually better because of its success?

My point is that CoD and BF3 are at the top of FPS Multiplayer genre. If you would like to argue with that, please do so - I would like to hear your argument.

And yes, Red Orchestra 2 IS worse than CoD Black Ops, or MW3 or Black Ops 2.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 987
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 2/12/2012 11:12:04 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

My point is that CoD and BF3 are at the top of FPS Multiplayer genre. If you would like to argue with that, please do so - I would like to hear your argument.

Upon what basis? Popularity? If we're talking about sheer player mass, maybe (if even that) but I can think of other games I'd rather play multiplayer on.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 988
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 3/12/2012 7:17:50 AM   
kata

quote:

And yes, Red Orchestra 2 IS worse than CoD Black Ops, or MW3 or Black Ops 2.

And oranges are worse than apples...

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 989
RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops - 3/12/2012 11:55:42 AM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

Upon what basis? Popularity? If we're talking about sheer player mass, maybe (if even that) but I can think of other games I'd rather play multiplayer on.

You can think of. But the majority chooses either CoD or BF, and not other games. Now doesn't that makes the game the TOP game of the genre? It's definitely on the list of "Most popular" or "Most known", or "Most sold", etc.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Call Of Duty: Black Ops Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI