Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score

Alien
  30% (7)
Star Trek:The Motion Picture
  34% (8)
Supergirl
  0% (0)
Rambo 3
  13% (3)
Total Recall
  8% (2)
Basic Instinct
  8% (2)
First Knight
  0% (0)
The Edge
  0% (0)
The Mummy
  4% (1)
Hollow Man
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 23

(last vote on : 1/1/2013 10:19:23 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 29/4/2010 7:22:47 PM   
darth silas

Jerry Goldsmith is THE greatest film score composer for me and many others.Sure,John Williams may be known more to the general moviegoing public for his famous scores for Star Wars,Superman,and Indiana Jones,but iv always preferred Goldsmith.The man was very prolific even in his final years,and always tried to push the envelope with unusual sounds to augment his beautiful themes and melodies.

From the solitary heroic theme to Rambo,to his exciting fanfare for the Starship Enterprise,he composed many memorable themes and is sorely missed from the world of film scoring since his death in 2004.It doesnt seem fair to make only ten choices in this poll as he created so many great scores but iv picked some of my absolute favourites..

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.
Post #: 1
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 29/4/2010 10:32:11 PM   
rich

Would have gone for Rambo 2 personally, but Alien will do 

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 2
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 29/4/2010 11:06:23 PM   
Snake-Eyes

RAMBO III score is EPIC! Snake-Eyes' personal favourite Goldsmith score though is easily FIRST BLOOD. THE 13th WARRIOR, LEGEND and THE SECRET OF NIMH are also worth a mention.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 30/4/2010 5:50:55 PM   
evil bill

A L I E N

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 4
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 30/4/2010 5:54:40 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

RAMBO III score is EPIC! Snake-Eyes' personal favourite Goldsmith score though is easily FIRST BLOOD. THE 13th WARRIOR, LEGEND and THE SECRET OF NIMH are also worth a mention.

I decided i could only have one Rambo score in the poll and i chose the third movie because in its expanded form on cd,it is quite beautiful,diverse,and exciting much more so than it sounds in the actual film as a lot of material Goldsmith composed for the movie wasnt used and instead was replaced by tracked music from the second movie.I love the score to the first movie but i believe Goldsmith bested it in Rambo 3.

Really dont remember The 13th warrior score that much cos i hated the film(turned it off half way through) but may check out the cd sometime.Its interesting that Goldsmith wrote some of his best scores for films that were less than stellar.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 5
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 30/4/2010 8:36:26 PM   
Dr. Sam Beckett

I love his Gremlins scores and, although the film is rubbish, his score for Star Trek: Nemesis was great. He really was a genius. Other worthwhile mentions- Explorers, The 'Burbs, The Omen, Poltergeist, Planet Of The Apes and Total Recall.

Post #: 6
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 2/5/2010 8:59:16 PM   
Deviation

The Omen? LA Confidential ie, his best work?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dr. Sam Beckett)
Post #: 7
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 3/5/2010 12:20:48 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Thats a matter of opinion.I started this poll which means i choose which scores get included in the ten choices.It was difficult mind,since hes done so many great ones.The ones you mention are great but the ones i chose are my absolute favourites.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 3/5/2010 12:21:06 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 8
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 5/5/2010 11:04:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

Out of the ones on there, I went for Basic Instinct.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 9
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 6/5/2010 9:59:51 AM   
Stryder

I really like Goldsmith too, he's was probably one of the best. I loved the score for the Mummy.

I disagree that he's better than Williams though - definitely not. Wiliams's melodies alone make him better than Goldsmith, as much as i like him. Williams has a way of capturing the essence and the spirit of a movie through a key melody - think ET or Raiders, or Jurassic Park - which nobody else can. Though i do think Goldsmith was of the same 'school' as Williams in terms of movie-scoring. A very similar 'classical' style which is dying out now somewhat.

Post #: 10
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 12/5/2010 9:37:49 PM   
Gazz

The Ghost and the Darkness, Alien and LA Confidential for me.

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 11
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 23/5/2010 1:17:02 PM   
Daninsky

You forgot Legend, that score is just uhm... legendary!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stryder
I disagree that he's better than Williams though - definitely not. Wiliams's melodies alone make him better than Goldsmith, as much as i like him. Williams has a way of capturing the essence and the spirit of a movie through a key melody - think ET or Raiders, or Jurassic Park - which nobody else can. Though i do think Goldsmith was of the same 'school' as Williams in terms of movie-scoring. A very similar 'classical' style which is dying out now somewhat.

I don't know, I like Williams but I find that while he's writing brilliant main themes, his overall scoring can be quite repetitive for some movies or like "Jurassic Park" feel off to me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas
Really dont remember The 13th warrior score that much cos i hated the film(turned it off half way through) but may check out the cd sometime.Its interesting that Goldsmith wrote some of his best scores for films that were less than stellar.
I remember from that score only that it had a very Morricone part to it.

< Message edited by Daninsky -- 23/5/2010 1:22:23 PM >

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 12
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 23/5/2010 5:07:55 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Thats a matter of opinion.I started this poll which means i choose which scores get included in the ten choices.It was difficult mind,since hes done so many great ones.The ones you mention are great but the ones i chose are my absolute favourites.

Of course it is, I just find it odd two of his most famous and accliamed ones are not there but Hollow Man is.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 13
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 23/5/2010 8:55:40 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course it is, I just find it odd two of his most famous and accliamed ones are not there but Hollow Man is.

Well John Williams got oscars for the likes of Star Wars,Fiddler on the roof,and Jaws.While they are all great scores,in my opinion Superman is far and away his greatest work and that didnt get him an oscar(maybe the academy got sick of showering Williams with oscars by the end of the 70s).

Iv always enjoyed Goldsmiths work more than Williams.As iv said before,Goldsmith had a habit of scoring films that were not very good but contained some of his best writing.Thats probably while Wiliams is more highly regarded as he often scored great films.

Iv only seen The Omen once and didnt really find the score to be that memorable(worked for the film obviously).L.A.Confidential is another film that iv only seen once but dont really remember the score.As flawed a film Hollow Man is,i think the score is really memorable and the dvd is a great treat for fans of Goldsmith since he does a commentary along with the isolated music track.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 14
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 23/5/2010 9:43:38 PM   
Deviation

Ave Satani is not memorable? Even the sequels had some fantastic music. And the Hollow Man was hardly that distinctive, personally and does feel like most soundtracks of the genre, and The Mummy sounded too close to Jarre.

You take the music out of The Omen and you are left with a rather decent film, with the music it is rather great. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 15
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 24/5/2010 12:02:33 PM   
Hood_Man

I love the score to Star Trek: First Contact. One example: Worff's entrance was great anyway, but the way Goldsmith brings his Klingon theme from TMP, and then a moment later it changes again when The Enterprise flies overhead... it's not only a thrill to listen to but it shows how confident he is in his own work.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 26/5/2010 4:41:57 PM   
boromir

dude, i love my soundtracks & JG is pretty good but he is not in JWs league. His scores dont have the resonance that JWs. Star Wars main tune, Raiders March, Jaws, Superman are all classic anthemic recognisable tunes.... i dont think i can say that of any of JGs themes......

Post #: 17
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 26/5/2010 9:38:10 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: boromir

dude, i love my soundtracks & JG is pretty good but he is not in JWs league. His scores dont have the resonance that JWs. Star Wars main tune, Raiders March, Jaws, Superman are all classic anthemic recognisable tunes.... i dont think i can say that of any of JGs themes......

How can you say that? Jerry Goldsmith has written FANTASTIC themes.The main theme tunes to Star Trek,Rambo,Supergirl,and King Solomons mines are classic and are as good if not better than anything Williams has done.

(in reply to boromir)
Post #: 18
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 27/5/2010 7:47:20 PM   
Deviation

I think they are both pretty great composers. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 19
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 15/7/2010 3:19:52 PM   
CORLEONE

His best score is easily The Burbs.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 20
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 24/9/2010 7:01:15 PM   
ryan58327

Why has no-one mentioned Jerry's score for Psycho II?
Great tense tracks like Don't Take Me and The Cellar.
This soundtrack lives on my iPod permanently.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 21
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 26/9/2010 10:40:34 AM   
DancingClown

My favourites are The Omen and Poltergeist, the latter being criminally under-rated. Not on the list, unfortunately.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 26/9/2010 10:45:38 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to ryan58327)
Post #: 22
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 5/11/2012 2:48:02 PM   
Timon

I wonder how the late, great and liberal Jerry Goldsmith would have felt about Mitt Romney using his Air Force One theme at all his rallies?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 23
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 5/11/2012 9:41:24 PM   
licencetokilt

Voted for Total Recall - that opening theme over those credits just wins me over every time. So epic and thrilling, one of the best opening themes ever! The Omen's score is exceptionally powerful, especially the pieces used for when Patrick Troughton and David Warner meet their doom! Psycho II score brilliant also.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 7/11/2012 9:06:42 AM   
NCC1701A

Voted for Star Trek: The Motion Picture but I would of voted for Star Trek: First Contact which for me is Jerry Goldsmith best score.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to licencetokilt)
Post #: 25
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 7/11/2012 6:34:42 PM   
licencetokilt

Wow, went into a charity shop today and picked up CD scores for Alien, Total Recall and Star Trek V for 1.20 each! True, none of them are the expanded CD scores, but I'm not complaining!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 26
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 8/11/2012 8:38:12 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: licencetokilt

Wow, went into a charity shop today and picked up CD scores for Alien, Total Recall and Star Trek V for 1.20 each! True, none of them are the expanded CD scores, but I'm not complaining!

What a bargain you were very lucky.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to licencetokilt)
Post #: 27
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 13/11/2012 7:17:54 AM   
licencetokilt

It's been a while since I found a great secondhand find, couldn't believe it when I saw them nestled in-between charity shop mainstays such as The Full Monty and Titanic soundtracks! I treated my neighbours to Total Recall's 'Clever Girl', which is six minutes of Goldsmith gold.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 28
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 13/11/2012 1:31:28 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

quote:

How can you say that? Jerry Goldsmith has written FANTASTIC themes.The main theme tunes to Star Trek,Rambo,Supergirl,and King Solomons mines are classic and are as good if not better than anything Williams has done.

Thank you for mentioning King Solomon's Mines! The film is disgracefully bad, but the score is rousing, high-adventure stuff, evocative of (but not ripping off) Indiana Jones. As for Explorers, it's patchy but worth it just for 'The Construction' alone.

Another unsung Goldsmith score is a more electronic-based one, for Hoosiers (sometimes known as Best Shot).

Post #: 29
RE: Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score - 16/11/2012 12:19:43 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

quote:

quote:

Thank you for mentioning King Solomon's Mines! The film is disgracefully bad, but the score is rousing, high-adventure stuff, evocative of (but not ripping off) Indiana Jones. As for Explorers, it's patchy but worth it just for 'The Construction' alone.

Another unsung Goldsmith score is a more electronic-based one, for Hoosiers (sometimes known as Best Shot).

The soundtrack to King Solomon's Mines is awesome the film is not bad but I grew up watching it as a kid.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> Greatest Jerry Goldsmith score Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI