Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting to rust

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting to rust Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 3:23:04 PM   
mighty mick

I actually thought the party scene recaptured pretty well the theme of the comics and in particular Demon In A Bottle. It was one of the most memorable scenes because it managed to be both funny and dark at the same time. Sure, it has Tony Stark pissing in his suit but it is also the moment in which he succumbs to his vanity and his towering ego. The fight bewteen him and Rhodey was by far the drammatic high point of the film.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 61
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 4:10:52 PM   
theoriginalcynic

No, just more action.  I hate Transformers 2 with a passion.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 1/5/2010 4:11:07 PM >

(in reply to mighty mick)
Post #: 62
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 4:56:51 PM   
frankie

Found it quite boring. Shame cos I liked the first film.

I also saw The disappearance of alice Creed yesterday. Go see that instead, gripping throughout and Gemma Arterton is bloody gorgeous. Even when sobbing.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 63
RE: Iron Man 2 - 1/5/2010 6:14:30 PM   
sanchia

Much like the first film it is fun. There are some bad points such as the fact that it does indeed lag somewhat in the middle but there is much more positive. Don Cheadle is significantly better as Rhodes than Terrance Howard with more of an edge to him, although it was a reduced role in comparison to the first film. Scarlett Johannson is a decent enough Black Widow although again not a very significant part (although she was very pleasing on the eye). Sam Rockwell gave his usual great performance as Justin Hammer. To be honest it was a Tony Stark affair with the premise focused mostly on him and Downey Jr rose again to the occasion.

The bad. Not a particularly inspired villain and the interlude with a rather poorly presented Nick Fury as provided by a rather bored seeming Samuel L Jackson was rather pointless and slowed the pace badly.

I would say a 4 starrer.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 64
RE: iron man 2 - 1/5/2010 8:40:28 PM   
anakin solo

This film is absolutely brilliant, downey, excellent, cheadle slightly better than terrance howard, paltrow as pepper was quite annoying though and could have had slightly less of a screen time, mickey rourke was brilliant as whiplash and sam rockwell was excellent as justin hammer and quite creepy as well and scarlett yohansson was brilliant and sexy as natasha romanoff, but i think samuel l jackson could have been used more in the film.
Loved the action scenes and the hints of what's to come in the other marvel movies, was spine tingling.
5/5

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.
Post #: 65
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 10:35:47 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

I really can't see how people think there was too little action. Do you need stuff blowing up every 5 minutes to hold your attention? I thought the second act was actually quite compelling (aside from the party bit, that was a tad dumb).

If you want non-stop action go back to Transformers 2.

I agree with this. The action scenes generally bore me (as in most films). I like the dramatic scenes much more.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 1/5/2010 10:39:17 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 66
RE: - 1/5/2010 10:38:36 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: bagrot1

after the less than enthusiastic reviews I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this, but it was fun which is really what you wnat from this kind of movie. My geek side enjoyed all the references and Johannsen's action scene was cool. Was it my imagination or were Fury's references to other problems a link to Hulk? I'm sure there were scenes from Hulk's battle at the university campus on the monitors at te end

SPOILER

The reference that Fury made in the donut shop was to Mexico, which is where Thor's hammer was found in the post-credits sequence. The events of The Incredible Hulk haven't happened in the movie universe at the point in time at which Iron Man 2 actually takes place (see the fact that Stark is a member of the Avengers in his Hulk scene, which he isn't in Iron Man 2).
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 1/5/2010 11:53:26 PM   
Supernova

quote:

SPOILER

The reference that Fury made in the donut shop was to Mexico, which is where Thor's hammer was found in the post-credits sequence. The events of The Incredible Hulk haven't happened in the movie universe at the point in time at which Iron Man 2 actually takes place (see the fact that Stark is a member of the Avengers in his Hulk scene, which he isn't in Iron Man 2).

SPOILER

Not entirely true. In the final scenes between Fury and Stark, on the TV screens in the background you can see the footage of the "Culver City Campus Incident" which is where Banner went on a rampage in "The Incredible Hulk"

Looks like the ending of Iron Man 2 is in sync with the middle part of The Incredible Hulk

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 68
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 2/5/2010 12:08:34 AM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I really can't see how people think there was too little action. Do you need stuff blowing up every 5 minutes to hold your attention? I thought the second act was actually quite compelling (aside from the party bit, that was a tad dumb).

I agree with this. The action scenes generally bore me (as in most films). I like the dramatic scenes much more.

SPOILERS

I also agree with this. I don't see why everything needs to be blowing up every second of a big summer films. Iron Man 2 is quite talky but it mixes the action well into it. It does fall a bit flat towards the end, and the final showdown is just a bit too easy and a bit too short. Having struggled with Whiplash in Monaco, with a massive updated suit I would have thought it would be a little bit harder to kill him.

All in all, it's probably as good as the original, taking a nice 4/5 with it. I had a lot of fun watching it, and gladly the Marvel references weren't too in your face, just nods to the fans that do understand them and the way they dealt with the shield was extremely well done. IM2 does everything it wants to do, which is to be an enjoyable and fun summer film, and that it does superbly.

Post #: 69
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 2/5/2010 12:26:16 AM   
hatebox

The main problem with this film (which is rather unforgivable for a superhero film actually) is that there's never anything at stake. You never fear for our hero's safety, there's never any tension, the villains never really pose a threat. Action scenes only work when the audience is concerned about the characters involved, there has to be a sense of risk, and I never cared about what happened in IM2.  

< Message edited by hatebox -- 2/5/2010 12:27:32 AM >

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 70
RE: A Superhero Movie - 2/5/2010 11:24:26 AM   
sanchia

One thing we should definitely take from this film. Garry Shandling is an example of what happens when Plastic Surgery mixed with an overdose of botox goes very, very wrong. So don't do it kids.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 71
RE: A Superhero Movie - 2/5/2010 11:47:57 AM   
GrimLock

Went to see this last night, i liked it alot, better than the first, 4 stars

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 72
RE: A Superhero Movie - 2/5/2010 11:49:37 AM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bigcheeseben

To be honest, i didn't enjoy the first. I thought it was little action and too much dialogue for a superhero movie. I only went to see this one because it sets up the Avengers and i wanted to spot all the refrences to other films (Saw Cap, Thor and Incredible Hulk, the latter being very hard to find). I was blown away. Don cheadle is much better then Terrence Howard, and the villans have more of a motive tis time round. The final is also built up better, and has a better sense of Stark is the only one who can help. So everyone who liked the firsts low action and heavy dialogue, you will hate this. If you like superhero movies however, go see it!

Wait what was that? Make sure you put a spoiler warning too.

Post #: 73
RE: A Superhero Movie - 2/5/2010 12:27:13 PM   
Bigcheeseben

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

quote:

Wait what was that? Make sure you put a spoiler warning too.

Whoops, sorry. Didn't think it would spoil the movie as i didn't say what, but i guess i should off :)

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 74
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 2/5/2010 12:39:49 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Not to keep harping on about it but the action scenes in kick-ass are amazing. 

Post #: 75
RE: You complete me! - 2/5/2010 5:20:45 PM   
Beno

SPOILER AHEAD :

One thought on seeing a certain Captains Sheild being used to prop up a pipe in the movie . How ? could the sheild be in such a state ? In the comics the thing is indestructable and made from an alloy that goes on to be Adamantium , im a tad miffed by this !

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"
Post #: 76
RE: You complete me! - 2/5/2010 6:40:11 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

SPOILER AHEAD :

One thought on seeing a certain Captains Sheild being used to prop up a pipe in the movie . How ? could the sheild be in such a state ? In the comics the thing is indestructable and made from an alloy that goes on to be Adamantium , im a tad miffed by this !

Geek Alert: Not quite it is a unique vibranium iron alloy which again could not be replicated as the chap who came up with it was asleep during the mixing process and was not certain what foriegn element got mixed into it. ]]

As you say there is no way it would look like the bitty shield on display in the film.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 2/5/2010 6:45:48 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 77
RE: Iron Man 2 - 2/5/2010 9:25:37 PM   
Indio

Thought it was OK, but not as spectacular as some of the previous comments have made it out to be, it was good to see Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell in a higher profile film than either of them have made recently, but I'm just getting fed up of these nearly entirely CGI endings to these films, surely scriptwriters can come up with an end to a comic book film that doesn't rotate around CGI characters hammering two shades out of each other to not much dramatic effect?

p.s. is it just me or is someone taking the piss bringing out an Iron Man 2 soundtrack album by AC/DC, when they only had two songs on the score, and one of those was on the end credits?

'Think about the future.'
Post #: 78
RE: Iron Man 2 - 2/5/2010 10:41:21 PM   
blackduck

Really enjoyed it. Not the best movie ever, but a solid dose of fun. Like the first movie they're more assured when following Tony Stark than Ironman, and they get a bit sidetracked setting up the avengers. Also for the next one Ironman needs to loose his helmet for the final battleand have a fight between two people rather than a bunch of cgi characters seeing who has the most fire power. I'd give it three and a bit stars

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 79
RE: You complete me! - 3/5/2010 1:31:11 AM   
williamteh

quote:

ORIGINAL: duke22

What happened to the "you complete me" line from the trailer where Pepper kisses Iron Man's helmet and throws it out of the back of the plane? Does this mean there'll be a directors cut? Or did it just hit the cutting room floor? Really enjoyed the film though - nice Thor teaser.
I was asking the same question when I walked out from the cinema. Robert Downey Jr. is still shining bright with all the Metals around him, eventhough this sequel may not be "up there" as compared to the first movie. This definitely warrants a **** if the latest Transformer was rated ***.
Post #: 80
RE: You complete me! - 3/5/2010 7:45:05 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: williamteh

quote:

ORIGINAL: duke22

What happened to the "you complete me" line from the trailer where Pepper kisses Iron Man's helmet and throws it out of the back of the plane? Does this mean there'll be a directors cut? Or did it just hit the cutting room floor? Really enjoyed the film though - nice Thor teaser.
I was asking the same question when I walked out from the cinema.

According to a report on Highdefdigest that scene was cut from the final film but will be on the Blu Ray as a deleted scene

(in reply to williamteh)
Post #: 81
RE: AMAZING - 3/5/2010 4:14:50 PM   
KnightofZyryab

'Around 40 minutes in, Iron Man 2 is shaping up to be the best comic-book movie ever'.

That line from thte Total Film review made me laugh. I never once felt like it was shaping up that way.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/
Post #: 82
iron Man 2: The Quest for a Plot. - 3/5/2010 5:23:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

Not so keen on this one I am afraid to say.

I was a fan of the first Iron Man film. I thought it captured the light fun tone that most comic book adaptations tried to avoid in order to be dark and gritty. Of course central to that was Downey Jr. who through sheer charisma elevated the film.

However, I didn’t love it. It was solid, well made, but unremarkable. This is along similar lines, albeit with some fundamental story problems which didn’t exist in the first one.

There are going to be spoilers from here on in. So

SPOILERS

- Stark is going to die due to the battery keeping him alive. That is a good jumping off point for the story. But there is no follow through. There are hints that the Expo and his work as Iron Man are his way of leaving behind a legacy, but it is never really explored. Nor do we ever see Stark really struggle with the poison in his system – its just some marks on his skin. It doesn’t inhibit his ability as Iron Man. When you bring in an element like that, it really should make the hero suffer in order to make the victory sweeter for the audience. Here we get “Well that was easy” and done. A sub-plot that went no where and didn’t tie in with anything else in the film. But of course Downey is so charming you don’t mind when watching.

- Ok, we all know who Nick Fury is. Comic book geeks know who Nick Fury is. But what about general audiences? He pops up with no introduction. If I was an average cinema goer, it is likely I would be wondering why this guy was here and how he was connected to the story. They might as well have had a title card reading “AVENGERS PREQUEL MOMENT!” In fact all the Avengers stuff was really forced into the movie.

- Rourke. It’s great having a bad guy stuck in rooms for the majority of the film. In fact he was pretty much wasted in this. Would it not have been better that the characters father had actually been wronged by the Stark Snr., giving Tony some guilt about the families history? No they are bad guys, and only bad guys. Actually I suspect in early drafts this was the case (so much is focused on legacy and Starks father), and Jackson was given some new lines to read removing that element.

- The action. In a list of things we want to see in an Iron Man film, the action comes second (Downey Jr. is number one). Sadly Iron Man 2 doesn’t have a whole lot. A brief scene at the start and then a bit of a longer one at the end. However the final fight feels too easy. Whiplash appears and 30 seconds later it is over.

- Pepper Potts – making her CEO might have worked if it added anything to the story. She pretty much serves the exact same role she did in the first film.

- Why are there four different models of drones for each arm of the military? Oh, that’s right, so there can be four different toys made. And what is the difference between an Army Drone and a Marine Drone anyways?

- Did anyone understand how the new element thing worked? Stark figuring all that out confused me more than the bit with the bullet in the wall in Dark Knight.

- We are told Iron Man has done all these great things, but we never see it. Even a montage of him solving the world’s problems would have been welcome.

- The final scenes came off as a damp squib.

- And the opening shot of Iron Man. Nothing says epic adventure like a casual shot of the back of the suit.

- The new Rhodes wasn’t as fun as the old Rhodes.

- Oh yeah, Scarlett Johansson was in this. She was ok.

- “Yes Jon, your crappy fight with Security Guard No. 2 will really work in the fight montage of Iron Man vs. the robot army and Scarlett hitting people. Only as long as you promise to mug some more for the camera.”

On a more positive note, Sam Rockwell was fun. While the second act was a bit of slog there were some nice moments, and Downey Jr. was as great as always.

In this new Marvel universe I would place this third behind Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. It’s not a bad film, but it is one which is hobbled by a poor story and what I suspect is studio mandated set ups for Avengers, and making sure that there are plenty of toys.

Three stars.

p.s – the secret final scene- so not worth your time staying through the credits.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 3/5/2010 5:25:29 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 83
RE: iron Man 2: The Quest for a Plot. - 3/5/2010 8:03:03 PM   
anakin solo

it didn't really seem that long actually.
But generally was just at the end of the film was just a massive blown up action sequence.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 84
RE: iron Man 2: Not better than kick ass - 3/5/2010 8:09:26 PM   
anakin solo

I can say that iron man maybe better than kick ass, but i doubt it. But in no way that the second film is better than kick ass and that's a fact, kick ass is more well done and has better action sequences and plot, and also doesn't have about three or four different stories going on at the same time.

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 85
RE: AMAZING - 3/5/2010 8:10:42 PM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: largejc

THERE WAS SO MUCH ACTION I NEARLY FELL OF MY SEAT, BRILLIANT FILM!!!!

I can imagine this quote on the poster. From The Sun.
Post #: 86
RE: AMAZING - 3/5/2010 8:20:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: largejc

THERE WAS SO MUCH ACTION I NEARLY FELL OF MY SEAT, BRILLIANT FILM!!!!

I can imagine this quote on the poster. From The Sun.

The first Iron Man had more action.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 87
RE: iron Man 2: The Quest for a Plot. - 3/5/2010 8:35:55 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Not so keen on this one I am afraid to say.

I was a fan of the first Iron Man film. I thought it captured the light fun tone that most comic book adaptations tried to avoid in order to be dark and gritty. Of course central to that was Downey Jr. who through sheer charisma elevated the film.

However, I didn't love it. It was solid, well made, but unremarkable. This is along similar lines, albeit with some fundamental story problems which didn't exist in the first one.

There are going to be spoilers from here on in. So

SPOILERS

- Stark is going to die due to the battery keeping him alive. That is a good jumping off point for the story. But there is no follow through. There are hints that the Expo and his work as Iron Man are his way of leaving behind a legacy, but it is never really explored. Nor do we ever see Stark really struggle with the poison in his system – its just some marks on his skin. It doesn't inhibit his ability as Iron Man. When you bring in an element like that, it really should make the hero suffer in order to make the victory sweeter for the audience. Here we get "Well that was easy” and done. A sub-plot that went no where and didn't tie in with anything else in the film. But of course Downey is so charming you don't mind when watching.

- Ok, we all know who Nick Fury is. Comic book geeks know who Nick Fury is. But what about general audiences? He pops up with no introduction. If I was an average cinema goer, it is likely I would be wondering why this guy was here and how he was connected to the story. They might as well have had a title card reading "AVENGERS PREQUEL MOMENT!” In fact all the Avengers stuff was really forced into the movie.

- Rourke. It's great having a bad guy stuck in rooms for the majority of the film. In fact he was pretty much wasted in this. Would it not have been better that the characters father had actually been wronged by the Stark Snr., giving Tony some guilt about the families history? No they are bad guys, and only bad guys. Actually I suspect in early drafts this was the case (so much is focused on legacy and Starks father), and Jackson was given some new lines to read removing that element.

- The action. In a list of things we want to see in an Iron Man film, the action comes second (Downey Jr. is number one). Sadly Iron Man 2 doesn't have a whole lot. A brief scene at the start and then a bit of a longer one at the end. However the final fight feels too easy. Whiplash appears and 30 seconds later it is over.

- Pepper Potts – making her CEO might have worked if it added anything to the story. She pretty much serves the exact same role she did in the first film.

- Why are there four different models of drones for each arm of the military? Oh, that's right, so there can be four different toys made. And what is the difference between an Army Drone and a Marine Drone anyways?

- Did anyone understand how the new element thing worked? Stark figuring all that out confused me more than the bit with the bullet in the wall in Dark Knight.

- We are told Iron Man has done all these great things, but we never see it. Even a montage of him solving the world's problems would have been welcome.

- The final scenes came off as a damp squib.

- And the opening shot of Iron Man. Nothing says epic adventure like a casual shot of the back of the suit.

- The new Rhodes wasn't as fun as the old Rhodes.

- Oh yeah, Scarlett Johansson was in this. She was ok.

- "Yes Jon, your crappy fight with Security Guard No. 2 will really work in the fight montage of Iron Man vs. the robot army and Scarlett hitting people. Only as long as you promise to mug some more for the camera.”

On a more positive note, Sam Rockwell was fun. While the second act was a bit of slog there were some nice moments, and Downey Jr. was as great as always.

In this new Marvel universe I would place this third behind Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. It's not a bad film, but it is one which is hobbled by a poor story and what I suspect is studio mandated set ups for Avengers, and making sure that there are plenty of toys.

Three stars.

p.s – the secret final scene- so not worth your time staying through the credits.

I agree with almost everything you said in that review.Primarily,the whole storyline about his chestpiece failing him.It was completely unecessary and went nowhere.It would have been far better to use the Demon in a bottle storyline from the comics.That way we would have really cheered him on as he made a comeback in the third act.

Disagree with your opinion on the new Rhodes though.Don Cheadle was way better i the role than Terence Howard was.

Like you said though,its not a bad film as such,just a disappointment as the first film set the bar so high and this failed to measure up.It was nowhere near as good as other Marvel sequels like Blade 2,Spiderman 2,and X2.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 88
RE: iron Man 2: The Quest for a Plot. - 3/5/2010 9:52:19 PM   
max314

Not sure I wanna see this.

Think I'll wait for it on Sky Movies HD.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 89
RE: iron Man 2: The Quest for a Plot. - 3/5/2010 10:49:18 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Girvy, quite how you felt that was worse than Incredible Hulk baffles me. That was such a boring film, it really was. No character development, no charisma from an unusually average Norton, Roth was shit, the action underwhelming. I'd definitely give both Iron Mans 4/5.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting to rust Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI