Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Better than they say

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Better than they say Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Better than they say - 29/4/2010 4:28:24 PM   
Gazdance

I too, caught this last night at a screening and I have to say I'm decidedly non-plussed.  It isn't as good as the first, it drags a bit and has too many scenes that don't really add to the thrust of the plot. 

There is too much foundation laying for the upcoming Avengers project, as well as nods to Captain America and (post credits) Thor.  Thing is, it's never quite explained who Samuel L Jackson is or what he's doing in the film.  Much like Scarlett Johansson.  Unless you know already, you're going to be scratching your head.

Perhaps if Jon Favreau had kept behind the camera instead of spending so much time in front of it, he would have spotted that Iron Man 2 lacks that spark that made the first one so enjoyable.

2 stars.

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 31
RE: - 29/4/2010 5:14:59 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Oh and it's nowhere near as good as Kick-ass.
Post #: 32
RE: Sounds like your typical sequel review - 29/4/2010 8:17:06 PM   
rayhiggins

I would have to say three stars is about right, having seen it today. Maybe bordering on four depending on how much you love robots/robot suits.

Pluses: RDJ, character chemistry between the old and new characters is largely solid, Sam Rockwell makes for a good slimy bastard, and the Whiplash fight from the trailers is short-ish, but pretty brutal.

Minuses: Don Cheadle's not given enough to do to sell his disillusionment with how Tony's coping with being Iron Man though he does his best, Nick Fury looks out-of-place somehow and could easily have been removed entirely, and the ending seems a bit rushed. Also, after that initial Whiplash fight and one quick little scene (phoning Stark himself), Rourke is given shockingly little chance to be, well, villainous.

Also, not even the slightest nod to the Mandarin a la the first film? Tsk tsk. Frankly, I hope they drop the Avengers connections besides the odd line or two for Iron Man 3 (and there will be a third) and focus more on Iron Man's proper supporting characters and establishing a solid plot. Still, it's a decent film. Go see it. You'll enjoy it, but your attention will wander in the middle act.

< Message edited by rayhiggins -- 29/4/2010 8:35:26 PM >

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 33
RE: Iron Man 2 - 29/4/2010 8:57:04 PM   
R W

Director: Jon Favreau
Screenwriter: Justin Theroux
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johnasson, Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke, Samuel L. Jackson

Synopsis
Six months have passed since his worldwide reveal of his superhero alter ego Iron Man, billionaire Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) must contend with deadly issues involving the government, his own friends, as well as new enemies including Whiplash (Rourke), a Russian ex-scientist who seeks vengeance towards the Stark family.

Review
As a fan of the first Iron Man that was released two years ago, I was determined to see this follow-up at an advance screening. Having gotten up at seven in the morning, I took an early train to Manchester to see a 9AM showing. This was the same approach when I went to see The Dark Knight, although in the case of Marvelís metallic hero, I wasnít expecting a masterpiece, but I was expecting a whole lot of fun.

Director Jon Favreauís first outing towards Tony Stark may not have been perfect, but it was special for many reasons: it was the start of a new franchise, it gave a massive mainstream return for its lead star and it was the beginning for a trend of films by Marvel Studios in which they were to be big blockbusters that stayed faithful to their source material. So with its predecessor becoming the success it was hoping to be, Iron Man 2 has to deliver in a much grander scale.

If you had seen the first film then you should know who Tony Stark is and his purpose on becoming Iron Man, which is to destroy weapons of mass destruction to achieve world peace. So in the beginning of this film, he has somewhat achieve that as he becomes a worldwide sensation bigger than letís say Tom Cruise. However, if heís hoping for the perfect life, there are some disadvantages.

As well as the United States government trying to take the Iron Man armour and a new bunch of villains (who I will later get onto), he is succumb to his time as a self-centred, impulsive celebrity which causes him to drink heavily (a homage to the Demon in a Bottle storyline from the comics) and is rejected by the people close to him including Gwyneth Paltrowís Pepper Potts and Don Cheadleís Rhodey.

Also, with the appearance of one of the villains in the form of a tattooed Mickey Rourke with a Russian accent, who explains a bit of his back-story to Stark, the protagonist does question his own past including the legacy he has to follow after the death of his late father who was quite the reclusive scientist.

Screenwriter Justin Theroux (who co-wrote the Ben Stiller-directed Tropic Thunder) definitely has a talent on solely focusing on his characters particularly the role of Tony Stark, in which he explores his flaws on such a dramatic level as well as the responses from the other players. As a sequel that is just as long as its predecessor, it can feel a bit baggy as there are many plot threads to cover and some of them arenít fully executed such as the involvement of the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D.

To show that Iron Man 2 is bigger than before, director Jon Favreau (who has more screen time as Starkís bodyguard/chauffer Happy Hogan) truly cranks everything up in both scale and action. Despite the many plot threads, Favreau successfully gives us something fast-paced, laugh-out loud funny and full of action set-pieces. The last half-hour does turn into boom bang, but it earned the right to do so as it is pure funtastic pleasure.

One canít deny the fact that the best aspect of the first film was the incredibly charismatic performance by Robert Downey Jr., who carries on this level of brilliance in this, but all the credit shouldnít go to him. Many of the best scenes are from the quiet moments between Downey and his co-stars Gwyneth and Don, in which their chemistry is full of humour and drama. By the way, your jaw will drop once you see Don Cheadle as Iron Manís sidekick War Machine.

As for Black Widow played by Scarlett Johansson, she does seem like a quick add-on (although she might get a larger role in the upcoming Avengers movie along with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury), but as someone who kicks ass and is dressed in tight leatherÖ well what can I say?

On the dark side, we have a nice set of villains. If you are looking for a great portrayal of a mad scientist that makes you forget about Arnieís awful performance as Mr Freeze, Mickey Rourke as Whiplash is quite the individual who looks like he was ripped from the pages of a comic book. Sam Rockwell is top form as a scene-stealing corporate antagonist who is on the edge.

Verdict
It does have its shortcomings, but Iron Man 2 carries on the same vibe as its predecessor but also goes into greater detail in terms of characterisation and popcorn thrills. If you do see this, stay on your seats until the finish of the end credits, itís a little treat for whatís coming in the future.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: iron 2 - 29/4/2010 10:05:40 PM   
Ethanial

First one was ok, this was painful. Wolverine bad.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 35
RE: iron 2 - 29/4/2010 11:16:26 PM   
Edward Nygma

Just saw Iron Man 2.

Yes it was silly.
Yes it was dumb.
Yes it was clunky in places.

But you know what, so was the first one and it was bucketloads of fun. And so is this sequel. You cut out Scarlett "SOOOO RUBBISH!!!" Johansson, polish up the backstory, go easy with the 80's style montages and you've got yourself a great superhero movie!

As it stands it feels even more tongue-in-cheek than the first one and, for the most part, that works very well. The whole thing is pretty damn funny throughout. Downey Jr is GOD, as ever, Sam Rockwell is excellent, as ever, and Mickey Rourke is not quite as ridiculous as I expected him to be (but still very ridiculous). Great action, great effects, entertaining story, funny script, loaaaaaaads of fun.
Go see it. Just don't expect The Dark Knight.

3 Stars seems a fair rating. This was waaaay more fun than pretty much any other big-ass blockbuster out this year so far. Thank goodness we can still enjoy ourselves at the movies, I was losing hope.  

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 36
RE: RE: - 29/4/2010 11:43:52 PM   
iconzero

Darker? How about a penile attachment to that suit, resulting in Pepper getting a fearsome load splashed across her tits?
I'm getting a little iron man in my pants, just thinking about it.

"Chief, put out the fire will ya"

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 30/4/2010 9:02:04 AM   
Chief

Went and seen it last night and I think 3 stars is about right.  RDJ was awesome for most of it but I felt that some of the dialogue with Pepper was poor and drawn out. Scarlett Johansson's fight scenes all followed the same formula - some poor wire work followed by a close up, rinse, repeat. I'd compare Whiplash to Sandman in Spidey 3, couple of good scenes but went out like a chump twice and was very underused. I'll agree with whoever said it above, they could have cut Sam Jackson altogether. He felt shoe horned in to promote the Avengers movie and Jon Favreau should have stuck behind the camera - but it's his movie, he can do what he likes. Sounds like a lot of negatives but there were a lot of positives as well - The general humour, Sam Rockwell, War Machine, RDJ for the most part and most of the fight sequences. I'd happily watch this again but if I had the choice I'd choose part one.

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 38
RE: RE: - 30/4/2010 10:45:25 AM   
attakdog

Saw it last night. Think three stars is about right. RDJ just reined it in in time to not become annoying, good humour, good action scenes. Rockwell was good as the weasely Justin Hammer as was Cheadle as War Machine. Overall though a little flabby in the middle, could do with one more action scene instead. Whiplash was underused and too easily beaten at the end (he put up more of a fight at monaco with zero armour!!!). Sam Jackson wasn't very convincing as Fury, the Fury I know wasn't as "hip" and had about as much sense of humour as a plank of wood. I was expecting him to launch into a " And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger" speech at any time, thankfully he didn't.

Overall a good film, but just doesn't quite stack up to the high standards of the first.

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 39
RE: I am Iron Dude - 30/4/2010 12:19:18 PM   
attakdog

@gambit21

Great point about Clash of the Titans, Iron Man 2 is ten times better than that tripe!
Post #: 40
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 12:38:54 PM   
odddaze

Empire did give Transformers 2 3 stars as well, hell they gave the Transformers 1 4 stars, so apparently that series is better than Iron Man... bull shit.

I am The Ugly Truth!
Post #: 41
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 1:02:17 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I don't know who put the tag miles better then Kickass but no it isn't.  The story is slight and far too talky, with very little action.  I'd like to see it again at the flicks (have unlimited card) but it's not as good as the first part.  

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 42
RE: Iron Man 2 - 30/4/2010 2:16:26 PM   
iheartthetalkies

Thought Iron Man 2 was a thoroughly enjoyable film. But as comic book film sequels go, it is no Dark Knight...

Full review on my blog, link below...

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 43
RE: loved it - 30/4/2010 2:17:38 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: megank13

I do hope that Downey Jr dons the Iron Man suit once more! :D

Twice more.
Post #: 44
RE: after the credits? - 30/4/2010 2:18:04 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: beaudie85

Is there anything to wait around for after the credits?

Yes.
Post #: 45
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 4:26:22 PM   
JCVDbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: JCVDbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

I don't know who put the tag miles better then Kickass but no it isn't. The story is slight and far too talky, with very little action. I'd like to see it again at the flicks (have unlimited card) but it's not as good as the first part.

I did. Because it is. Better directed without all the hyperbowl.

Kick Ass was too clever for it's own good. No wonder it bombed.

< Message edited by JCVDbaby -- 13/6/2013 12:10:53 PM >

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 46
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 4:48:03 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

I don't know who put the tag miles better then Kickass but no it isn't.  The story is slight and far too talky, with very little action.  I'd like to see it again at the flicks (have unlimited card) but it's not as good as the first part.  

No it hasn't, on the back of a £27 million budget it's done exceptionally well, plus it rocks and will do amazing business on DVD / Blu-Ray so sorry mate but your talking rubbish.

(in reply to JCVDbaby)
Post #: 47
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 5:48:15 PM   
darth silas

Was disappointed by this film.I loved the first film,it was pefectly paced with action and humour but the sequel is way too talky and doesnt have enough action.RDJ is as good as usual and Don Cheadle is much better in the role of Rhodes,however the humour and banter between the characters isnt as sharp as last time and much of the jokes fall flat and is actually quite forced at times.This film needed more judicous editing as some scenes seemed to go on forever(the scene where Stark brings Pepper strawberries being a prime example).

Stark actually doesnt DO much in this film except host parties and expo shows.It actually reminded me of(shudder)Batman and Robin where those heroes spent most of their time hosting live charity shows in that film.As a superhero,Iron Man should be out there kicking ass and taking names but Stark actualy comes across more as a Tom Cruise style celebrity whore than a superhero here.I know its part of Starks personality to like the limelight and live a rock and roll lifestyle,but the events of the first movie where he became Iron Man supposedly changed him and made him more mature.In fact Stark actually doesnt have a proper action scene in his regular armour until the climax of this film,besides that he just has a drunken brawl with Rhodey at his house and has a short fight with Whiplash at the Monaco races only because Pepper showed up and gave him his suitcase armour.

Scarlett Johannsen is great to look at as Black Widow,but her fight scene at the end consisted of posing for camera like she was doing a photoshoot for a lads mag.Sam Jackson is..well..Sam Jackson as Nck Fury but thats not necessarily a bad thing as hes suited to the role.

All in all,its not a bad film by any means as there is definite entertainment value to be had,but its a disappointment compared to the original and nowhere near as good as The Incredible Hulk.

3 stars.. just.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 30/4/2010 5:49:02 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 48
RE: Sounds like your typical sequel review - 30/4/2010 6:56:08 PM   
musht

AWESOME FILM!! I really don't get why empire or complaining about the final fight being two men in metal punching each other . . . what were they expecting!?
Anyway yeh this is fuckin class and did anybody else see the report from hulk playing on the tv at the end when stark's reading his file . . . although i didn't stay for after the credits and i'm very pissed off cause i now either have to wait for the dvd or go cinema again

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 49
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 6:59:06 PM   
bad hat harry

quote:

quote:

I don't know who put the tag miles better then Kickass but no it isn't.† The story is slight and far too talky, with very little action.† I'd like to see it again at the flicks (have unlimited card) but it's not as good as the first part. †

It's Hyperbole. Hy-per-bol-e.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.Ē
ó Woody Allen

(in reply to JCVDbaby)
Post #: 50
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 7:17:05 PM   
Beno

Great sequel , 4stars from me . Tis a bit chatty in the middle , in fact when RDJ talks at speed and at the same time as others it becomes a bit annoying ..... but only a tad . The first Whiplash setpiece is the best in the movie although all the action is well handled . Rourke is totally convincing but i didnt like Shandlings Senator performance much , he seemed a bit trite for me .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 51
RE: Good But What Was That Bit After The End Credits? - 30/4/2010 7:28:47 PM   
Ethanial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

It was alright but I think it needed more emotion and more action and a bit more seriouseness but I enjoyed it even with the funny script. Also I stayed until after the credits roled and does anyone know what the crater was? and what was the object, what does it mean? Iron Man 3 or something else?

Thor's hammer.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 52
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 7:33:31 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

quote:

It bombed (if it did) because it didn't have enough advertsing and a 70 million haul for a British movie isn't a bomb.  It is a far superior film according to almost every critic and comic book fans.

(in reply to JCVDbaby)
Post #: 53
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 8:56:38 PM   
XenonXylophone

quote:

quote:

How I wish I had some Photoshop skills...

...and that's how I escaped my certain fate.

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 54
RE: Sounds like your typical sequel review - 30/4/2010 9:31:27 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Yep, Empire were spot on with this one. The action sequences are incredible and performances enjoyable particularly from Downey, Rourke and Rockwell, but it suffers from a lack of pace and as someone said a lot of the comedy falls flat. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 55
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 9:33:38 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know who put the tag miles better then Kickass but no it isn't.† The story is slight and far too talky, with very little action.† I'd like to see it again at the flicks (have unlimited card) but it's not as good as the first part. †

It bombed (if it did) because it didn't have enough advertsing and a 70 million haul for a British movie isn't a bomb.† It is a far superior film according to almost every critic and comic book fans.

Haven't seen the figures but a spot on the front of Empire is pretty substantive advertising.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 56
RE: Miles Better Than KICK-ASS - 30/4/2010 10:46:20 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

quote:

quote:

It bombed (if it did) because it didn't have enough advertsing and a 70 million haul for a British movie isn't a bomb.  It is a far superior film according to almost every critic and comic book fans.

Haven't seen the figures but a spot on the front of Empire is pretty substantive advertising.

In the UK where it made decent money but not in America.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 57
RE: Dissapointing but entertaining in the right places - 1/5/2010 1:54:38 AM   
SWOTBM

SPOILERS!!!

Just saw the film and I think 3 stars is fair, 3.5 would be more accurate though imo.  I really enjoyed the light-hearted tone (Tony's birthday party was the best scene by far) and contrary to most people, I rather liked Jon Favreau's scenes.  The in-jokes were very cool (loved Captain America's shield, does this suggest he already exists?  Perhaps a relic from the 40's which would imply the frozen in ice storyline for Cap?).  The action was a step up from the first film and it was . The acting was for the most part solid, with some very good perfomances by Rockwell, RDJ and Fav.  However the story didnt flow smoothly for me and it could have been a lot tighter (the whole Pepper Potts thing is just unncessary filler imo).  The post-credits scene was also a bold move by Marvel and I hope they manage to pull it off.  I was also kind of disappointed that there wasnt much of a focus on Tony's alcoholism and the using the Iron Monger style suit at the end for the final boss seemed kinda samey, hoping they introduce the Mandarin for the next film (though I read somewhere that Favreau is not keen on the Mandarin as a villain)

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders
Post #: 58
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 1:09:51 PM   
jcthefirst

I really can't see how people think there was too little action. Do you need stuff blowing up every 5 minutes to hold your attention? I thought the second act was actually quite compelling (aside from the party bit, that was a tad dumb).

If you want non-stop action go back to Transformers 2.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog
Post #: 59
RE: By the time the action hits, the iron is starting t... - 1/5/2010 1:11:45 PM   
jcthefirst

Oh, and it's a solid 4 stars from me.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Better than they say Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI