Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Centurion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Centurion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Centurion - 23/4/2010 3:59:31 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Centurion, kicks Roman Butt - 23/4/2010 3:59:31 PM   
Savs

I attended the FLAVOUR Magazine Centurion screening last night, at the Exclusive "Soho Club" MEMBERS only, celebrity hang-out.

The story is set in Roman times in England, and apart from some modern day English, it certainly looked realistic,
and historically accurate.

The film was action packed, with some great fight scenes.

Great British cast, job done.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Centurion - 23/4/2010 4:31:46 PM   
shatnerhamster

Damn, Not only is this not on at my nearest cinema (15 miles away), a Cineworld multiscreen, it's not even on at the next nearest cinema (25 miles away), an Odeon multiscreen. Nice to see our cinema chains supporting British films as usual.

Post #: 3
RE: Centurion - 23/4/2010 6:04:57 PM   
Timon

Our local Cineword is showing it, but only 3-4 showings a day. I'll see it on Sunday hopefully.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to shatnerhamster)
Post #: 4
RE: Centurion - 23/4/2010 7:04:22 PM   
GrimLock

My Cineworld (Middlesbrough) isn't showing this either......WTF!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
more of the same from Marshall - 24/4/2010 12:14:16 AM   
robert_stow

Very well shot, good battles, lots of gore! I got the impression there is going to be a longer directors cut at some point, it seems jumpy at places.

If anyone could help me out by answering a quick questionnaire on this film (it will take about 1 minutes tops) please go to this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z2KHX98

It is to help with my research into audience reactions to historical accuracy within film and your help would be greatly appreciated

Post #: 6
. - 24/4/2010 8:22:06 PM   
agent cooper

My local isn't showing this either, looks like I'll be waiting for the Blu ray.

Post #: 7
Zzzzzzzenturion... - 24/4/2010 11:19:23 PM   
Edward Nygma

Saw Centurion in a preview screening ages ago, before its release. It was kinda balls.

I mean the whole thing is so uninteresting. It looks fine although without the grey filter it would probably just look like a student movie with people running in the woods forever. Otherwise, the characters are so unappealing and the story so unoriginal that there's really no one or nothing to root for.

It's not BAD as in it's particularly badly made or anything it's just really flat and soulless.
I would personally wait for Robin Hood or Prince of Persia for an epic adventure film with some merit or at the very least camp, overdramatic fun value.

Meh.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to agent cooper)
Post #: 8
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 25/4/2010 3:46:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

I really enjoyed this film. Marshall is four for four in my book.

This isn't an epic war movie, but rather a chase movie/men on a mission movie. Yes, there is a large battle in the film, but much of the film is smaller affair.

While they are very different films, Centurion shares a lot of connective tissue with Doomsday - the basic plotlines are similar, as are some of the visual motifs. Would make for an interesting double bill.

Everyone does solid work. Fassbender is the calm centre of the movie, but West steals the scenes he is in, with a performance which seems based on a young Oliver Reed.

This film isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, but rather it just wants to deliver a solid, well made movie where you feel you have got your moneys worth. While low budget, the movie never feels small.

It is a chase movie, so there is a lot of scenes of people running, but Marshall has the ability, which so few movies can do now (i'm looking at you Clash of the Titans), to just do enough that we know and like the characters, before they are picked off.

The film does have a little bit of a political subtext, but its main purpose is to entertain.

If I had any complaints it is that Marshall still moves that camera about too quickly at times, and some of the voiceover is not needed. But all in all, if you like these sorts of films, and are prepared for somthing much smaller in size to Gladiator, then you should have fun.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 9
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 25/4/2010 7:27:14 PM   
Timon

I couldn't help but feel there's a longer film in there somewhere and Marshall may have forced to make massive cuts at the behest of the studio. The pacing seemed off and I can't help but think there were probably more 'character moments'.

Still, I enjoyed it I just couldn't shake the feeling there's a better cut somewhere out there. Fassbender, Cunningham and West rocked the villa though...

3.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Centurion - 25/4/2010 7:32:22 PM   
captainrentboy

Managed to find a cinema showing it, (Poxy bloody Odeon) saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I can't understand where some reviews are coming from (Total Film for instance) stating that there's a big lull in the middle, namely where they take refuge at a 'witch's' home, that 'lull' lasted a whole 10 minutes before getting right back to the chase aspect of the film and because of that relentless pace I never really had a chance to get bored, infact if anything it could've done with longer scenes where the Romans were just talking and connecting, it would've allowed me to care for their fates a little more.
Anyway, there are lots of violent fight scenes dotted throughout ( That as Rgirvan stated, could've done with a little slowing down) lovely scenery to look at and lashings and lashings of blood and gore. Dominic West was great, Olga was convincing as the crazy mute warrior and Fassbender played the hero well, still not a big fan of Noel Clarke mind
I'd give it 3.5/5 and I'm now looking forward to Marshall's next movie, after thinking he'd totally lost the plot with Doomsday. (The only film of the last 15 yrs or so I couldn't actually be bothered to finish watching)

Post #: 11
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 25/4/2010 7:37:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I couldn't help but feel there's a longer film in there somewhere and Marshall may have forced to make massive cuts at the behest of the studio. The pacing seemed off and I can't help but think there were probably more 'character moments'.

Still, I enjoyed it I just couldn't shake the feeling there's a better cut somewhere out there. Fassbender, Cunningham and West rocked the villa though...

3.5/5

I'm not sure where they would add stuff. It is a pretty tightly paced film. Maybe some character pieces here and there. In fact the only thing I can think of that was cut is the stuff with the wolves. It is not like Marshall to cut away...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
Centurion - 25/4/2010 9:28:14 PM   
moviemaniac2

Despite Fassbender making the most of what he can with Dias, Centurion lacks a real hero, someone to get behind and relate to. The audience isn’t allowed to get to know these men as people - Dias isn't exactly Maximus or William Wallace. It's only by the halfway mark that Dias comes to the fore but he's somewhat lost in the constant running and fighting. A much-needed respite from the gore brings a much-needed love interest in Arianne (), a Pict outcast who helps Dias' beleaguered soldiers. It's only here that the film's heart emerges but it's a case of too little, too late. It's odd too that the British Marshall would side with the invading Romans, while demonising the Picts who are trying to protect their homes and families.

. If the men in Centurion were as memorable as the women, who don't have enough screen time to make the film theirs, this could have been something great.

Post #: 13
Centurion - 25/4/2010 9:28:15 PM   
moviemaniac2

Despite Fassbender making the most of what he can with Dias, Centurion lacks a real hero, someone to get behind and relate to. The audience isn’t allowed to get to know these men as people - Dias isn't exactly Maximus or William Wallace. It's only by the halfway mark that Dias comes to the fore but he's somewhat lost in the constant running and fighting. A much-needed respite from the gore brings a much-needed love interest in Arianne (), a Pict outcast who helps Dias' beleaguered soldiers. It's only here that the film's heart emerges but it's a case of too little, too late. It's odd too that the British Marshall would side with the invading Romans, while demonising the Picts who are trying to protect their homes and families.

. If the men in Centurion were as memorable as the women, who don't have enough screen time to make the film theirs, this could have been something great.

Post #: 14
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 26/4/2010 9:14:28 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

3.5/5

I'm not sure where they would add stuff. It is a pretty tightly paced film. Maybe some character pieces here and there. In fact the only thing I can think of that was cut is the stuff with the wolves. It is not like Marshall to cut away...

It's tightly paced... but how did Quintus get out of the Pict camp in the first place?!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 26/4/2010 9:34:40 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

3.5/5

It's tightly paced... but how did Quintus get out of the Pict camp in the first place?!

Ah yeah,

Ok - two moments.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Centurion - 26/4/2010 12:21:17 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Pretty much loved it.

But if I have to complain about something it would be... the final confrontation is a bit easy. After all that running, Olga and co' aren't so tough.

That, and Noel Clarke. He's bad. Real bad. What's he doing here anyway? Competent enough behind a camera but infront of it?... No. Wasted op with that casting.

But yeah, great pace, great violence, some funny dialogue and terrific turns by a cast of would-be thesps. I especially like Liam Cunningham, he's great in everything (even Clash of the Titans)

Neil Marshall has yet to put a foot wrong. What's next?

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

Post #: 17
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 26/4/2010 12:25:01 PM   
wombathog

What do you have to do to get an 18 certificate nowadays?  Don't get me wrong - the film is full of quality slicing and dicing, I was just surprised that some of it got through.

Not a great film but it had enough enjoyable actioned packed stuff going on as the Men on A Mission got Pict off one by one.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: Zzzzzzzenturion... - 26/4/2010 2:02:53 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

quote:

quote:

3.5/5

He kicked through the wall, right..? Although we have no idea how he managed to get through the rest of the camp! Good film otherwise, which is why I'm baffled Warner gave it such a massive shaft release-wise. Much worse dross out there gets better coverage...

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
THE HOPE OF BRITISH ACTION CINEMA - 28/4/2010 6:45:14 PM   
ROTGUT

Neil Marshall is going to make a bloody good action movie one day. Unfortunately this isn't it - but Centurion still has lots going for it. In your face hack and slash carnage and a nifty script - and Dominic West's Centurion commander cuts a nice dash in hulking bravado. The endless helicopter vistas reeked of Lord of the Rings and I would have liked to have seen more of Paul Freeman's machinating Roman toff - but turn your brain off and this film is an hour and forty minutes of pleasing medieval mash up. Three stars.

Post #: 20
No sense-turion - 12/8/2010 12:31:48 AM   
Gazathoth72

Neil!What is going on?Loved the first two films.Love the photography(All blues,greys and greens)in all four but,and it pains me to say this Neil,the last one was pretty much a turkey and now after waiting nearly two years for your triumphant return to form you release Centuion.An uncomortable hotch-potch of a film.with massive plot holes.Either you were forced into a brutal cut by the studio or your script writing needs work.I'll go with studio interference because i like you chap but please don't do this again i can't take another kick in the ol' goolies

Post #: 21
RE: No sense-turion - 17/8/2010 11:25:58 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I liked it. Good fun. At it's heart I thought it was just a simple chase film/men on a mission that just so happened to be set way back when. The fights are great. The cast is interesting and pull the roles off, although I do agree the girl could have been given more of 'voice' so to speak. Thought she did fine with expressive stuff but maybe having her tongue cut out was a mistake since she's given such importance in the film. Also thought the finale came out of of nowhere. In so far as I just would have liked a bigger send off or more complicated resolution. Still, great fun!

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 17/8/2010 11:26:56 AM >

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Gazathoth72)
Post #: 22
RE: No sense-turion - 17/8/2010 9:01:00 PM   
hampstead bandit

could not find this in any London cinemas..

finally watched it last night on DVD

thoroughly enjoyed it!

a very engaging, gripping film with horrific action scenes and genuine sense of jeopardy

4/5

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 23
RE: No sense-turion - 19/8/2010 7:47:38 AM   
grucl

Was good fun.

My only complaint is about the final stand-off. All of that was cut way too quickly. After the fight was over I actually had to rewind and watch it again to see who killed who and when. Also, the bit whit Thax (?) at the very end felt a bit tacked on.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 24
RE: No sense-turion - 21/8/2010 2:42:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

Thought it was a bit shite to be honest. Made me want to watch Doomsday again, and no film should do that 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 25
RE: Centurion - 22/8/2010 10:38:37 AM   
jamesaliz

Pour your shot as soon as possible, allowing the most time for it to settle. Belch as often as possible early, releasing the gases that will cause you to throw up later. Don't SHOOT it, but drink it in one smooth motion, staying aware ofhow much air you
Acai Advanced Cleanse

Post #: 26
Good Yet It Felt Rushed. - 29/8/2010 10:06:45 AM   
joanna likes films

Centurion is very much like Gladiator with it's bloody violence and stunning visuals. Instead of Russell Crowe in the lead, we have Britian's upcoming best talent Michael Fassbender leading his men to saftey from the threatening Pics. I'm surprised it has got away with a 15, the gory battle scenes scream a 18 but goes to show you what gets away with anything in movies lately. There are some light hearted moments, lovely scenery and good pefomances from Fassbender and co except Noel Clarke who annoyed me from the moment he came in. But really, the whole film felt rushed and the final battle was a little poor. The ending was a total outrage, lack of budget or just left to your imangition? In all, it's a good movie to check out but don't think it's a rival to Gladiator though

Post #: 27
Good Yet It Felt Rushed. - 29/8/2010 10:06:46 AM   
joanna likes films

Centurion is very much like Gladiator with it's bloody violence and stunning visuals. Instead of Russell Crowe in the lead, we have Britian's upcoming best talent Michael Fassbender leading his men to saftey from the threatening Pics. I'm surprised it has got away with a 15, the gory battle scenes scream a 18 but goes to show you what gets away with anything in movies lately. There are some light hearted moments, lovely scenery and good pefomances from Fassbender and co except Noel Clarke who annoyed me from the moment he came in. But really, the whole film felt rushed and the final battle was a little poor. The ending was a total outrage, lack of budget or just left to your imangition? In all, it's a good movie to check out but don't think it's a rival to Gladiator though

Post #: 28
- 1/9/2010 8:31:00 PM   
zedphelan

Set during the 2nd century Roman conquest of Britain, based around one Roman soldier who is captured by the Pict tribe and manages to escape back to a Roman base and spends the rest of the film running from the tribe after there kings son is murdered.

I had such high hope for this film but it just didn't live up to its potential. Lots of blood & gore but something was lacking, it just seemed to me quite flat and emotionless. I kept waiting for something big to happen but it just never got there.

Great graphical effects, but the acting left a lot to be desired.

Post #: 29
- 3/11/2010 11:43:28 AM   
reminn

Excellent.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Centurion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI