Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 7/1/2011 5:29:09 PM   
seinfeld2

Anyway forgetting about what versions will show up on these disks, what kind of special features would folks want. I myself would like a seperate making of for each film produced by Charles De Lauzirika ( producer of the Alien & Bladerunner sets) or David Prior who has just produced what looks to be a great blu ray package in the form of The Social Network. A lengthy doc on Industrial Light & Magic would be a treat as well showing how the effects of those days were made by real objects that one could touch instead of where we are today with CGI and all. 

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 121
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 7/1/2011 5:40:19 PM   
The Hooded Man

Is this going to be the definitive set, or will there be special edition 3D box sets for next Xmas. The Hooded Man feels he has answered his own question.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to seinfeld2)
Post #: 122
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 7/1/2011 5:42:56 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Is this going to be the definitive set, or will there be special edition 3D box sets for next Xmas. The Hooded Man feels he has answered his own question.

Indeed you have as a 3D set of Star Wars would be far from definitive as they would represent a bastardised version as bad a colouring Citizen Kane in with crayons.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 123
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 7/1/2011 7:55:28 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: seinfeld2

Anyway forgetting about what versions will show up on these disks, what kind of special features would folks want. I myself would like a seperate making of for each film produced by Charles De Lauzirika ( producer of the Alien & Bladerunner sets) or David Prior who has just produced what looks to be a great blu ray package in the form of The Social Network. A lengthy doc on Industrial Light & Magic would be a treat as well showing how the effects of those days were made by real objects that one could touch instead of where we are today with CGI and all. 

I'd really like to see a decent documentary on the genesis of the prequels, which ideally would begin in the mid-80's. That and a frank documentary looking back on the entire saga would be great.

(in reply to seinfeld2)
Post #: 124
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 7/1/2011 8:28:36 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Its already been confirmed that Lucas is going to rerelease the saga in cinemas in 3D starting in 2012 with The Phantom Menace.The rest of the series will be released on a yearly basis so dont expect a 3D set of the series for quite a while yet.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 125
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 9/1/2011 2:07:54 AM   
Mr Grady

I'll be getting the 6 disc set come September, even though the original Trilogy is obviously the most appealing you would still feel that you have an incomplete set...... wouldn't you?

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 126
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 9/1/2011 11:32:10 PM   
rubadub

TOO MUCH DNR !!!

BUT GRAINS SHITE !!!

FUCK YOU ! GRAIN RULES !!!

STICK YOUR GRAIN UP YOUR GRAINY OLD ARSE GRAIN LOVER ! WE WANT PLASTIC HAN AND LUKE ! DNR MAKES OLDER FILMS LOOK NEWER AND BETTERER !!!

GGGGGGRRRRRAAAAAAIIIINNNNNNN !!!

...i know it's eight months early,just thought i'd start the arguing first...

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 127
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 9/1/2011 11:54:20 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

I'll be getting the 6 disc set come September, even though the original Trilogy is obviously the most appealing you would still feel that you have an incomplete set...... wouldn't you?

But the complete set would be a Bladerunner-style every edition release, and they'll never go to that much effort

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 128
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 12:07:25 AM   
Mr Grady

Course not, both parts or all chapters are a trilogy depending how you are persuaded, so they will be sold as that.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 129
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 12:11:04 AM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

But the complete set would be a Bladerunner-style every edition release, and they'll never go to that much effort

We will find out in 9 months, unless you can see into the future?

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 130
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 4:57:49 AM   
Sad Professor

I first saw Star Wars when "A New Hope" was re-/released in 97. If it hadn't been re-released I'd probably never have paid any attention to it if it was on telly and thus would never had much interest. People like me and those of my generation have some neck whinging about Lucas destroying their childhood by not releasing pristine copies of the original theatrical versions. I can understand people who saw them in the cinema perhaps wanting a high quality version of the exact film they saw for nostalgia purposes but the whole consumer activism is nauseating.

I've bought the first 3 films twice on DVD  - the 2004 box set and the theatricals 2nd hand. Won't be going for this but for those of you shelling out, enjoy.

The artwork linked to on DVDActive looked really good. A frank documentary would be great - "The Beginning" is still one of the best extras going.

< Message edited by Sad Professor -- 10/1/2011 5:17:00 AM >

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 131
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 9:26:22 AM   
vader100

I never learn, pre-order in already.

So,

Originals on VHS
SE on VHS
All 6 on DVD
Originals on DVD
This will be the fifth edition I have bought but none the same format or cut. Impressive.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 132
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 10:15:54 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: seinfeld2

I’d like the kind where I don’t have to buy the complete saga to get them. Seriously, me and millions like me don’t want the prequels in any way shape or form. Do the decent thing and include the 3 extras disks in all three releases. But I suppose the words decent and Lucas hardly go in hand in hand these days….

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to seinfeld2)
Post #: 133
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 12:57:46 PM   
spark1

itv1 is showing the prequels in h d on saturdays, may get to the OT later.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 134
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 10/1/2011 1:37:08 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I will say the new Jedi ending is stronger. Although I will always have a fondness for Yub Nub. 

Now see I don't like the new Jedi ending when you see the the different worlds celebrating. I feel the Empire would still be there for a while. One of the Moff's would take over so the troops would still be on the streets.

Going back to Empire I'm glad the scream of Luke was taken out as you say.

Also another bad change I thought of from Empire is with the Wampa when you see it holding it's shoulder after it's arm was cut off. Just looks like a bloke in the outfit bloody awful.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 135
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 1:46:54 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

I'd like the kind where I don't have to buy the complete saga to get them. Seriously, me and millions like me don't want the prequels in any way shape or form. Do the decent thing and include the 3 extras disks in all three releases. But I suppose the words decent and Lucas hardly go in hand in hand these days….

You see I do get fed up with this put Lucas down because he's released the films more than a couple of times.
There have been plenty of re-released films over the years Evil Dead films and Bladerunner being two I can think off which has been out a few times on video and DVD, but no-one slags off these directors.

Lucas had brains to get the merchandise for Star Wars and was then basically able to fund the other films by himself and also put his money inti producing better film technology over the years.

What a lot of people say now is damn Lucas the cash cow. The simple answer is don't buy the DVD if you've aleady got it or you think Lucas is miking you. No-one is forcing you to spend the money you have a choice.

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 136
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 2:18:11 PM   
Cruisecontroller

What would have been fairer is if all the special features they`ve got for the prequel trilogy just went on that set for those that want them and the rest of the special features they`ve got concerning the orgional trilogy went on that set so if you have no interest in the prequels you don`t have to get them. Of course he knows that the only way he`ll get the most cash is by only having special features for all the films on the complete set for the whole saga. I like all the movies (although Phantom Menece is the dullest) so it doesn`t bother me personally but thats my only gripe. Sure we`d rather not shell out money for any editions but if there is more special features available from other unreleased material with even better picture quality via blu ray then sure there is lots of money to be made with that and all the fans are going to want to at least rent it if not buy it.    

They should have included the orgional as well as special editions (but there is no mention of that so I assume they probably won`t) and the holiday special for a laugh to show Mr Lucas has a sense of humour. Anyone know how many hours of special features was on the `04 dvd set of the orgional trilogy 4 hours or so? Thats probably 11 hours more just for the orgional triolgy.  I will get the complete set its a must buy. 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 137
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 2:41:57 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

I'd like the kind where I don't have to buy the complete saga to get them. Seriously, me and millions like me don't want the prequels in any way shape or form. Do the decent thing and include the 3 extras disks in all three releases. But I suppose the words decent and Lucas hardly go in hand in hand these days….

You see I do get fed up with this put Lucas down because he's released the films more than a couple of times.
There have been plenty of re-released films over the years Evil Dead films and Bladerunner being two I can think off which has been out a few times on video and DVD, but no-one slags off these directors.

Lucas had brains to get the merchandise for Star Wars and was then basically able to fund the other films by himself and also put his money inti producing better film technology over the years.

What a lot of people say now is damn Lucas the cash cow. The simple answer is don't buy the DVD if you've aleady got it or you think Lucas is miking you. No-one is forcing you to spend the money you have a choice.

An argument I myself have made many times. But It wasn’t a financial jibe at all I was making, as I’m with you on that score. It's about the content and for me, the decent thing to do here is release both the original and special edition cuts of the first three by using seamless branching on the Blu Ray disks. And include the extras without having to buy the preqels as well.

At the end of the day, the press release for this state’s there is a release to suit every fan… what about me?

Now, a pot belly pig did just flay past my office window so maybe my desired versions will be in this release…. But Is seriously doubt it!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 10/1/2011 2:45:27 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 138
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 3:08:31 PM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller
its a must buy. 

No, it's not really.

Who cares how many hours are on the discs? Do you not care about quality over quantity? The point has been made that the Phantom Menace doc from the Ep1 DVD has been pretty much the best extra and that came in at about 50mins. Hearing and seeing Lucas' reaction after he views a cut of the film was priceless. Will this new set have anything even broaching that kind of honesty? Is there any point in rhetorical questions!

Getting back to the very remote possibility of HD theatricals, would this not show up some of the poorer effects shots or at least some limitations? I don't have a particularly strong view on it but a friend made the point a few years ago that poor quality VHS kinda masked some of the dodgier looking elements.

Does anyone else think it's crap that the Blue Ray cases/sleeves are smaller than DVD? Smaller artwork is never a good thing. Though, I do like vinyl over MP3 thumbnails....

Post #: 139
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 3:23:56 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

An argument I myself have made many times. But It wasn't a financial jibe at all I was making, as I'm with you on that score. It's about the content and for me, the decent thing to do here is release both the original and special edition cuts of the first three by using seamless branching on the Blu Ray disks. And include the extras without having to buy the preqels as well.

At the end of the day, the press release for this state's there is a release to suit every fan… what about me?

Now, a pot belly pig did just flay past my office window so maybe my desired versions will be in this release…. But Is seriously doubt it!

You mention seemless branching what I would like to see is seemless branching so you can put the deleted scenes back into the film.

Post #: 140
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 3:41:55 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sad Professor

quote:

its a must buy. 

Getting back to the very remote possibility of HD theatricals, would this not show up some of the poorer effects shots or at least some limitations? I don't have a particularly strong view on it but a friend made the point a few years ago that poor quality VHS kinda masked some of the dodgier looking elements.

Not necessarily. Suppose it all depends on the level of craftsmanship on the model shots etc. Films from that era such as Bladerunner and Alien both look sensational on Blu Ray. I imagine Star Wars will look amazing, if approched with realistic expectaions… hopefully without all the utterly pointless additions but we should be so lucky eh

Post #: 141
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 4:18:17 PM   
Sad Professor

Maybe I'm the heathen but Star Wars is not in the same league as Alien or Blade Runner. They just do not compare. It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

Post #: 142
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 4:42:47 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Maybe I'm the heathen but Star Wars is not in the same league as Alien or Blade Runner. They just do not compare. It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

Well in terms of the overall film that’s down to personal preference but in terms of visual quality/effects the three are all very comparable. So a film or films made at roughly the same time, that have already had 1080p HD transfers done, could be used as a potential indicator for the quality of Star Wars in HD

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 10/1/2011 4:43:34 PM >

Post #: 143
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 5:35:06 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I'm a lot fonder of Star Wars than I am either of the other two. Star Wars is higher on the AFI list too at 15 (Blade Runner is 97th, Alien isn't on there).

Post #: 144
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 10/1/2011 5:47:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I will say the new Jedi ending is stronger. Although I will always have a fondness for Yub Nub. 

Now see I don't like the new Jedi ending when you see the the different worlds celebrating. I feel the Empire would still be there for a while. One of the Moff's would take over so the troops would still be on the streets.

Going back to Empire I'm glad the scream of Luke was taken out as you say.

Also another bad change I thought of from Empire is with the Wampa when you see it holding it's shoulder after it's arm was cut off. Just looks like a bloke in the outfit bloody awful.

It doesn't make technical sense perhaps, but is one of the few moments where genuine emotion can be felt from the overall saga.

And please never say the word Moff again, unless it is in reference to writers of British science fiction.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 145
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 10/1/2011 6:39:18 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

You mention seemless branching what I would like to see is seemless branching so you can put the deleted scenes back into the film.

I don't know about this one - it's essentially making a non-Lucas cut of the film. If he wanted them back in there, he'd put them in.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 146
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 11/1/2011 1:09:53 PM   
spark1

some new yak tracks would be cool-like the new ones on the 'star trek' blu rays and the r1 'spaced' set.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 147
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/1/2011 2:18:51 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

quote:

its a must buy. 

No, it's not really.

Who cares how many hours are on the discs? Do you not care about quality over quantity? The point has been made that the Phantom Menace doc from the Ep1 DVD has been pretty much the best extra and that came in at about 50mins. Hearing and seeing Lucas' reaction after he views a cut of the film was priceless. Will this new set have anything even broaching that kind of honesty? Is there any point in rhetorical questions!

Does anyone else think it's crap that the Blue Ray cases/sleeves are smaller than DVD? Smaller artwork is never a good thing. Though, I do like vinyl over MP3 thumbnails....

Sure quality over quantity is very important but lets face it most Star Wars fans are going to want to see all the new extra`s so it`s a least a must rent,

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

Post #: 148
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/1/2011 2:21:40 PM   
Cruisecontroller

[/quote]
[/quote]

You don`t live in Southampton do you where those two pot bellied pigs have been on the loose?

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 18/1/2011 2:22:33 PM >

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

Post #: 149
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/1/2011 2:23:51 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

You don`t live in Southampton do you where those two pot bellied pigs have been on the loose?

North London. Quite the trot for the little fellows!

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI