Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 4:39:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I would love it if the Holiday Special was the only announcement today.

"Bea Arthur singing...IN HIGH DEF!"

I seriously doubt it will make it onto the disks. What might make it is the cartoon with Boba Fett.

I don't know, it'd be an olive branch of sorts from Lucas, who is fairly poorly regarded by the geek fraternity at the moment.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 91
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 5:41:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

I love the idea that releasing The Star Wars Holiday Special on the Blu Ray format is a goodwill gesture...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 92
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 6:04:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I love the idea that releasing The Star Wars Holiday Special on the Blu Ray format is a goodwill gesture...

Ha, I didn't mean for it to sound like that, more like a solid PR move on Lucas's behalf in a bid to rescue his reputation amongst the hardcore.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 93
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 6:20:16 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Me too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Ha, I didn't mean for it to sound like that, more like a solid PR move on Lucas's behalf in a bid to rescue his reputation amongst the hardcore.

I think the only way he could do that is to bring out full restorations of the original theatrical releases of Episodes IV-VI.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 6/1/2011 6:22:32 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 94
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:02:15 PM   
adambatman82

It's been announced. In the words of Blu-ray.com -

As anticipated, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment officially announced today the Blu-ray release of Star Wars for September 2011. The studio will release the saga in three distinct sets "to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (a nine-disc set including all six films, priced at $139.99; Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes I-III, priced at $69.99); and Star Wars: Original Trilogy (a three-disc set including Episodes IV-VI, priced at $69.99).

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 95
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:03:29 PM   
adambatman82

I've pre-ordered the complete saga from Amazon for £69.99. Figured it was worth the pre-order as that price seems a bit good!

Post #: 96
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:16:53 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

I've pre-ordered the complete saga from Amazon for £69.99. Figured it was worth the pre-order as that price seems a bit good!

Class!  Well that's this year's birthday present sorted.  I can't wait for more details.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Post #: 97
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:21:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLU-RAY RELEASE IN THE GALAXY IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR WORLDWIDE PRE-ORDER STARTING TODAY LAS VEGAS (Jan. 6, 2011) – The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever – the Star Wars™ Saga – emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas’ epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan: Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI) STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more. Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.
Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing “The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor.” “The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format,” Dunn said. “The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray.”
“With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish,” said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. “And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible.”
“The Star Wars franchise has been one of the most anticipated Blu-ray releases by Amazon’s customers,” said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon. “We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong.”

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 98
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:26:38 PM   
UTB

Any mention of whether they will have the untinkered-with originals or will they be the molested versions? Or both?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 99
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 8:30:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

Nope.

But Vaders pink saber in the Blu Ray trailer suggests we are getting the DVD version

http://starwars.com/video/view/001175.html

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 100
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 9:04:22 PM   
directorscut

So we're being forced into buying the prequels to get the bonus discs.  GRRRRR.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 101
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 9:08:36 PM   
juanvasquez

If I remember rightly, they said that we will be getting the same as the original DVD release as it would take far too much time ad effort to do both.

But I don't care. I can't wait!

Just glad I like the prequels

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 102
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 9:23:15 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

Same here. The wife said she'd get me it for xmas, but I am not waiting!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 103
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 10:09:21 PM   
JIm R

As much as it hurts to say, I could be tempted. As many are saying though, it depends on the additinal extra's, if it's a re-hash of the excellent 2004 set then no thanks. 

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 104
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 9:38:35 AM   
pete_traynor

Think I’ve just hit the wall with this now. It’s too much! Not cost, just the relentless squeeze on this endless cash cow’s teats. If they were the original cuts, with no Sesame Street song and dance numbers and no fucking New Zealand accent on Boba Fett I would cough it up one last time, just to have the first three on BD. But as this box will need a certain amount of continuity between all six, it will be the ’97 digital botch jobs. These newer cuts just render the viewing experience far too inconsistent. You’re plodding along happily, in cinematic bliss for half an hour or so… and bang, another amended violation pops up to remind you that this is no longer the film you used to adore.

Many people just want Star Wars on BD and can just about tolerate these versions and that’s fair enough. But I don’t think I can stomach watching these abominations again. And for that reason, I’m ooooot!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 105
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 10:16:38 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Think I’ve just hit the wall with this now. It’s too much! Not cost, just the relentless squeeze on this endless cash cow’s teats. If they were the original cuts, with no Sesame Street song and dance numbers and no fucking New Zealand accent on Boba Fett I would cough it up one last time, just to have the first three on BD. But as this box will need a certain amount of continuity between all six, it will be the ’97 digital botch jobs. These newer cuts just render the viewing experience far too inconsistent. You’re plodding along happily, in cinematic bliss for half an hour or so… and bang, another amended violation pops up to remind you that this is no longer the film you used to adore.

Many people just want Star Wars on BD and can just about tolerate these versions and that’s fair enough. But I don’t think I can stomach watching these abominations again. And for that reason, I’m ooooot!

Whether or not the Original Original Trilogy will be included has not been confirmed yet. At the very least I expect we'll be getting the versions in the same capacity as they were released on DVD.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 106
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 10:23:28 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

Whether or not the Original Original Trilogy will be included has not been confirmed yet. At the very least I expect we'll be getting the versions in the same capacity as they were released on DVD.

I know but it is very doubtful. He did sling them on fairly recent DVD releases if memory serves as a second disk. But weren’t they a complete afterthought with substandard audio etc. Don’t get me wrong, if the proper versions of the first three are available (seamless branching for the 97 horrors maybe) I will buy the originals box, no question. But I just can’t see it… hope I’m wrong though!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

Post #: 107
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 12:02:32 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I know but it is very doubtful. He did sling them on fairly recent DVD releases if memory serves as a second disk. But weren’t they a complete afterthought with substandard audio etc. Don’t get me wrong, if the proper versions of the first three are available (seamless branching for the 97 horrors maybe) I will buy the originals box, no question. But I just can’t see it… hope I’m wrong though!

Yeah, they were unremastered transfers from an old laserdisc I think.

I don't think seamless branching would be of much use here, due to so many changes being made. Personally speaking, I prefer the special editions. I think they're an interesting exercise, and nostalgia-aside, would rather stare at the superior effects of the special editions than the original versions of the films.

Post #: 108
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 1:53:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I know but it is very doubtful. He did sling them on fairly recent DVD releases if memory serves as a second disk. But weren't they a complete afterthought with substandard audio etc. Don't get me wrong, if the proper versions of the first three are available (seamless branching for the 97 horrors maybe) I will buy the originals box, no question. But I just can't see it… hope I'm wrong though!

I don't think seamless branching would be of much use here, due to so many changes being made. Personally speaking, I prefer the special editions. I think they're an interesting exercise, and nostalgia-aside, would rather stare at the superior effects of the special editions than the original versions of the films.

Really? You think having those giant lizard creatures walking into 1977 shots make things better? Or Shadows of the Empire easter eggs popping up?  Or the Jabba scene which just repeats everything Greddo says previously?

The new effects are not intergrated all that well, and take me out of the experience. I would rather see those matte lines than the werid job Lucasfilm did on the 2004 DVD release.

Post #: 109
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:02:02 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know but it is very doubtful. He did sling them on fairly recent DVD releases if memory serves as a second disk. But weren't they a complete afterthought with substandard audio etc. Don't get me wrong, if the proper versions of the first three are available (seamless branching for the 97 horrors maybe) I will buy the originals box, no question. But I just can't see it… hope I'm wrong though!

Really? You think having those giant lizard creatures walking into 1977 shots make things better? Or Shadows of the Empire easter eggs popping up?  Or the Jabba scene which just repeats everything Greddo says previously?

The new effects are not intergrated all that well, and take me out of the experience. I would rather see those matte lines than the werid job Lucasfilm did on the 2004 DVD release.

But you also have the Battle of Yavin which looks far better now. Shots of the Falcon taking off which look great.

There are hits and misses on all the films but it's down to each person choice I suppose. I'll be happy to watch the Blu-Ray versions of the original Trilogy.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 110
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:14:24 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like the lizards! Jabba is rubbish yeah, but the good outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing bad of note with the special editions of Empire or Jedi.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 111
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:35:06 PM   
simonmckergan1

I wonder which Anakin will appear at the end of Return of the Jedi?
This one:

or this one:

For continuity I guess it will be the first one.

< Message edited by simonmckergan1 -- 7/1/2011 2:38:13 PM >

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Post #: 112
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:44:40 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like the lizards! Jabba is rubbish yeah, but the good outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing bad of note with the special editions of Empire or Jedi.

Empire replaced Boba Fett’s amazingly cool voice with a New Zealand accent, effectively ruining the character for me. And Jedi has the music number in Jabba’s palace, where that horrid little CGI puppet thing now just runs up and screams into the camera. All three were seriously harmed as movies from these alternations.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 7/1/2011 2:45:33 PM >

Post #: 113
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:49:29 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Empire replaced Boba Fett’s amazingly cool voice with a New Zealand accent, effectively ruining the character for me. And Jedi has the music number in Jabba’s palace, where that horrid little CGI puppet thing now just runs up and screams into the camera. All three were seriously harmed as movies from these alternations.

Are you purposefully being melodramatic there?

The one point that I don't particularly like is the change to the end of Jedi, as pointed out by Simon above?

Post #: 114
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 2:56:12 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

The one point that I don't particularly like is the change to the end of Jedi, as pointed out by Simon above?

Maybe a tad, as it has been known!

But I just hate those cuts of all the films, period. They just don’t work, for me. The changes are jarring for those with no interest in the prequels and the CGI FX shots just don’t mesh with the rest of the film. And it’s been a while since I put myself through them but didn’t they change the Ewok song at the end of Jedi too? Shameful!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 7/1/2011 2:58:24 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 3:55:14 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Empire replaced Boba Fett's amazingly cool voice with a New Zealand accent, effectively ruining the character for me. And Jedi has the music number in Jabba's palace, where that horrid little CGI puppet thing now just runs up and screams into the camera. All three were seriously harmed as movies from these alternations.

But I just hate those cuts of all the films, period. They just don't work, for me. The changes are jarring for those with no interest in the prequels and the CGI FX shots just don't mesh with the rest of the film. And it's been a while since I put myself through them but didn't they change the Ewok song at the end of Jedi too? Shameful!

Yeah the Ewok song was changed.

Empire has the least changes, most of it having the effects improved. The only add-on bit I don't like is Vader asking for his shuttle after his fight with Luke.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 116
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 3:59:46 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Empire replaced Boba Fett's amazingly cool voice with a New Zealand accent, effectively ruining the character for me. And Jedi has the music number in Jabba's palace, where that horrid little CGI puppet thing now just runs up and screams into the camera. All three were seriously harmed as movies from these alternations.

But I just hate those cuts of all the films, period. They just don't work, for me. The changes are jarring for those with no interest in the prequels and the CGI FX shots just don't mesh with the rest of the film. And it's been a while since I put myself through them but didn't they change the Ewok song at the end of Jedi too? Shameful!

Empire has the least changes, most of it having the effects improved. The only add-on bit I don't like is Vader asking for his shuttle after his fight with Luke.

I knew it! Truly evidence that every ounce of decency left the man long ago!

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 117
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 4:16:57 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I knew it! Truly evidence that every ounce of decency left the man long ago!

No more Yub Nub since 1997.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

Post #: 118
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 5:27:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

Actully the Empire Special Edition contained some of the worst changes

- The Vader shuttle scene - they lose the simple, cold "Bring me my shuttle" cut and decide to show us Vader travelling to his ship. It is a rubbish scene not needed.

- Luke falling. I know the 2004 DVD got rid of it but still. Luke makes a noble choice to fall. Way to undercut that by having him screaming and sounding a lot like Harrison Ford.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 119
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 7/1/2011 5:27:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

I will say the new Jedi ending is stronger. Although I will always have a fondness for Yub Nub. 

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI