Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 20/8/2010 6:49:16 PM   
jediwarrior

Just got back from Orlando today and I saw George Lucas last Saturday Wooooooooooooo!!!!

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 61
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 21/8/2010 4:15:55 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I don't like grain.

Stick to DVD then!

No way laa. I like a nice crystal clear picture. I just don't like grain. Why are you hating on me?

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 62
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 21/8/2010 5:11:58 PM   
vader100

Not hating, just interested if you are just trolling or not. This is what I wrote about grain on the Hi Def thread.

I usually find that people who make that sort of statement are either
a) Trying to be controversial
or
b) don't really understand what the grain is.

A new film shot digitally or on HD eg Sin City or the new Star Wars films look great, that is not in dispute. Anything recorded on film as the vast majority of films are have, by the nature of the medium, a grain structure inherent in the image. This was not very noticeable in the home cinema market until HD. The problem is the grain holds the detail of the image. If you start scrubbing out the grain you start scrubbing out the detail, hence you get images like Predator where people look like they have been sculpted out of wax due to all the grain removed has also robbed the image of any lifelike details such as pores and wrinkles.

It is a fact of life with film and, in the future, where film is not used you will get your shiny grain free image but if you want an older film that has all it's detail intact then grain WILL be present. It can be reduced with a caring, careful hand, but recently the studios just seem to be a little hamfisted.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 63
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 21/8/2010 5:29:47 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Not hating, just interested if you are just trolling or not. This is what I wrote about grain on the Hi Def thread.

I usually find that people who make that sort of statement are either
a) Trying to be controversial
or
b) don't really understand what the grain is.

A new film shot digitally or on HD eg Sin City or the new Star Wars films look great, that is not in dispute. Anything recorded on film as the vast majority of films are have, by the nature of the medium, a grain structure inherent in the image. This was not very noticeable in the home cinema market until HD. The problem is the grain holds the detail of the image. If you start scrubbing out the grain you start scrubbing out the detail, hence you get images like Predator where people look like they have been sculpted out of wax due to all the grain removed has also robbed the image of any lifelike details such as pores and wrinkles.

It is a fact of life with film and, in the future, where film is not used you will get your shiny grain free image but if you want an older film that has all it's detail intact then grain WILL be present. It can be reduced with a caring, careful hand, but recently the studios just seem to be a little hamfisted.

Thats bollocks though. I'm not trying to be controversial and I understand what grain is but I don't like it. I'd much rather have a crystal clear picture 90% of the time. You just can't understand the mindset so you dismiss it. Grain will always divide but it doesn't automatically make your preference the correct way to view things.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 64
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 21/8/2010 6:36:29 PM   
vader100

I am quite happy for films to be grainless. Toy Story 3 looks exemplary on the big screen. What all these grain haters don't seem to be able to grasp is NO movies on film will be grainless without sacrificing detail and HD is all about the detail.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 65
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 22/8/2010 2:13:23 PM   
HIM

I'm not trolling I just genuinely don't like grain, but I understand it to be inherent in the medium, much like the old hiss and crackle of vinyls. Again though, I prefer the clean and crisp sound of a CD. Horses for courses and all that.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 66
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 22/8/2010 7:52:35 PM   
HIM

Don't hate the player. Hate the grain.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 67
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 11:23:43 AM   
Gazdance

I've just been watching Return of the Jedi on the 2004 issue DVDs. I've got a full HD tv and Blu Ray player so I'm assuming that the image was upscaled in some way.

I was really surprised at the poor image quality. The colours seemed really over saturated in a lot of scenes, particularly the later action scenes. Reds and oranges seemed to lose detail and overall the picture quality seemed a bit hazy and not as sharp as I would have expected.

I'm likely to upgrade to a Blu Ray set of the saga but I really hope that the image quality issues are rectifed. I have no issue with grain (I'd rather the image had more detail that not) but it would be nice if the film looked, well, normal.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 68
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 11:45:11 AM   
vader100

Most of what you list there is the general problem with watching DVD upscaled on a large TV, which is why anyone claiming upscaled DVD is as good as HD is wrong.

The Star Wars DVDs have lots of problems associated with them. The blacks are so crushed much detail is lost, the lightsabers at times are the wrong colour, on the Death Star attack in Star Wars the rear surround sounds are the wrong way around, The Phantom Menace picture has horrible edge enhancement. The list is very long. hopefully that is why it is taking so long to put them on Bluray, they are sorting out all these problems.

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 69
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 12:33:44 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I had no idea about the stuff ups on the DVDs until recently - quite surprising really!

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 70
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 4:52:51 PM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

I had no idea about the stuff ups on the DVDs until recently - quite surprising really!

Very surprising as they are THX certified.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 71
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 6:12:05 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Very surprising as they are THX certified.

That just means the equipment used to make them met a minimum standard.

Some of the worst looking discs (Die Hard 3's 2 disc DVD release for example) have been THX certified. Even the non anamorphic Star Wars theatrical cuts released in 2006 are THX approved as the masters were (albeit using the standards as set out in 1993).

The 2004 Star Wars DVDs have plenty of issues (chief in my opinion being the lightsabers), but I'm not sure that the colour timing/black crush issue has ever been commented on by anyone who can do so with authority.

Those who do base their assumptions on older home video releases, mastered for analogue NTSC video. Without good reference materials to hand (non faded answer prints and the like) it is impossible to assess how close any master reflects the original. Crushing blacks does not necessarily mean losing detail  (although it could cause that problem). All it means is that the source for the master had more information that was not kept.

That makes sense as the elements used for scans are usually negatives or low contrast interpositives. These have a larger dynamic range than release prints, and contain information which was never meant to be seen, especially in the extremes of shadows and highlights.

If you released a scan from one unadjusted it would look very flat and washed out. Anyone who has used a negative scanner will know what I'm getting at. You have to adjust the levels in your photo editing software to make it look "right." It has to do with the difference in how we see light, and how film records light. It is a similar process to how film prints are made. The technician is told how to expose the print so only what is meant to be seen is actually seen.

That isn't to say the '04 release was right, but saying it must be wrong because it looks different to older releases on a more limited format makes no sense. It is like the Dracula debate a couple of years ago.

I just hope it isn't such a rush job this time and gets proper quality control.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 72
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 27/8/2010 7:51:38 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
quality control.

Lucasfilm clearly doesnt employ anyone in this department for their DVD releases. That said I havent watched the 2004 versions since they releasd the theatrical cuts. I'll take my 30 year old problems, rather than all these new ones.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 73
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 28/8/2010 2:13:10 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Don't hate the player. Hate the grain.

That actually made me laugh, you silly anti-grain person.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 74
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 29/8/2010 12:57:43 PM   
rich

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/aug/19/star-wars-blu-ray-lucas?_r=true

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 75
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 13/9/2010 4:16:54 PM   
Gazdance

Been watching the prequels on DVD, upscaled via a Blu Ray player and on an HD screen. They look colourful but blurred and devoid of detail. Hope that the quality is better for Blu Ray.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 76
STAR WARS BLU RAY - 13/9/2010 5:20:56 PM   
Snake-Eyes

okay I admit, I was a bit apprehensive at first and perhaps even completely against the idea of picking up the STAR WARS films on blu-ray. Now I know that any hope of getting just the classic trilogy on the HD format are pretty much dashed but I'm sure that once I've seen some sort of trailer, I'll be jazzed enough to pick 'em up. Decent extras will be the main draw for me.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 77
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 21/10/2010 1:06:56 PM   
moviestar2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

okay I admit, I was a bit apprehensive at first and perhaps even completely against the idea of picking up the STAR WARS films on blu-ray. Now I know that any hope of getting just the classic trilogy on the HD format are pretty much dashed but I'm sure that once I've seen some sort of trailer, I'll be jazzed enough to pick 'em up. Decent extras will be the main draw for me.

Anyone else gonna buy them ? we might end up paying 60

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 78
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 21/10/2010 1:37:10 PM   
adambatman82

60 for 6 films (and presumably more Blu-ray discs for extras) isn't bad. I'm expecting it to be more. But yes, I'll be getting this day one.

(in reply to moviestar2)
Post #: 79
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 21/10/2010 2:10:17 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

60 for 6 films (and presumably more Blu-ray discs for extras) isn't bad. I'm expecting it to be more. But yes, I'll be getting this day one.

They need to knock it out of the park with extras on this! Empire of Dreams is a wonderful documentary but this should have the same wealth of extras as the Alien Anthology! Just wish we had the option of two box sets. Prequels and Originals! I don't mind coughing up for a set that has one film I loathe (looking at you Resurrection!) but three! That's a little hard to swallow for me. I'm never going to watch the Prequels, so not giving me (and the millions like me) the option is classic Lucas tight!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 80
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 21/10/2010 2:47:45 PM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

They need to knock it out of the park with extras on this! Empire of Dreams is a wonderful documentary but this should have the same wealth of extras as the Alien Anthology! Just wish we had the option of two box sets. Prequels and Originals! I don't mind coughing up for a set that has one film I loathe (looking at you Resurrection!) but three! That's a little hard to swallow for me. I'm never going to watch the Prequels, so not giving me (and the millions like me) the option is classic Lucas tight!

The Alien Anthology has raised the bar on the overall package. Especially with both being Fox franchises the Star Wars set needs to be exemplary.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 81
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 21/10/2010 2:56:32 PM   
moviestar2

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Alien Anthology has raised the bar on the overall package. Especially with both being Fox franchises the Star Wars set needs to be exemplary.

That will never happen becouse the upcomming set should have more then 60 hours of extres plus both verions of the orignal trilogy.

After all it is star wars !!

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 82
STAR WARS BLU RAY - 26/10/2010 9:29:22 PM   
Snake-Eyes

If Mr. Lucas had a real sense of humour and was willing to please the fans, he'd add the STAR WARS HOLIDAY TV Special as an 'easter egg' - just for a laugh.

(in reply to moviestar2)
Post #: 83
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 26/10/2010 11:55:00 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: moviestar2

quote:

quote:

quote:

That will never happen becouse the upcomming set should have more then 60 hours of extres plus both verions of the orignal trilogy.

After all it is star wars !!

Star Wars is far more tightly "controlled" than the Alien franchise, so I don't think we'll ever see the candid type of special features that the Alien set has. Plus, Lucas has already said that the original version of the first trilogy won't be on this release.

(in reply to moviestar2)
Post #: 84
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 27/10/2010 5:30:39 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

If Mr. Lucas had a real sense of humour and was willing to please the fans, he'd add the STAR WARS HOLIDAY TV Special as an 'easter egg' - just for a laugh.

He's probably burned the master tape already.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 85
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 27/10/2010 6:16:22 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

He's probably burned the master tape already.

Pity this never happened to the original concept idea for a certain Mr. Binks...

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 86
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 27/10/2010 2:29:47 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Pity this never happened to the original concept idea for a certain Mr. Binks...

I do sometimes wonder what it would be like if they'd cast someone other than Ahmed Best in that part. The weird thing about Phantom Menace is that lots of people read the script before the film came out and didn't hear any alarm bells ringing...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 87
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 3:28:35 PM   
adambatman82

There's a big announcement due later today regarding this. I'm quite excited. Rumour is October release. I predicted last week on Twitter that it'd include the holiday special, after the official Star Wars site ran a story (unrelated to Blu) on the special last week.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/1/2011 3:29:44 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 88
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 4:05:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

There's a big announcement due later today regarding this. I'm quite excited. Rumour is October release. I predicted last week on Twitter that it'd include the holiday special, after the official Star Wars site ran a story (unrelated to Blu) on the special last week.

I would love it if the Holiday Special was the only announcement today.

"Bea Arthur singing...IN HIGH DEF!"

I seriously doubt it will make it onto the disks. What might make it is the cartoon with Boba Fett.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 89
RE: STAR WARS BLU RAY - 6/1/2011 4:24:56 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

The world needs this in glorious Hi Def!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI