Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 11:47:12 AM   
kata

Might finally have to splash out for a blu ray player for these.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 31
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 11:51:04 AM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I don't like grain.

Stick to DVD then!

Reading the comments on bluray.com is hilarious. Star Wars fan boys are the best for comedy value in the world. "I still have the originals on VHS and laserdisc.", "I have never bought the crapquels" (as if he coined the phrase).

This is a great example:-

"No Originals then NO SALE! Lucas has fucked my generation for the last time! I will not buy his lousy piece of shit films after this injustice to FILM HISTORY! I for one dont give a damn if you like his CURRENT vision of the films ( they change by the minute with him). Gary Kurtz was the greatness behind the first two films anyway not Lucas and if you so called fans knew just exactly how much Kurtz saved his ass from the friar you would flip! Lucas did nothing on TESB it was all Kurtz! To not include what was released in the theaters in those respective years is simply a crime!"

So much anger and we all know where that leads.

This is a release which will define Bluray as a product. Hopefully they have done complete remasters of the originals, sorted out the lightsaber anomalies and the contrast problems from the DVD set. A 7.1 soundtrack would be a bonus but this will be a title that my £10 rule will NOT apply!

< Message edited by vader100 -- 15/8/2010 11:54:36 AM >

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 32
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 12:16:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

Any film fan worth their salt would want to see the originals (non-SE) on Blu Ray.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 33
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 2:27:06 PM   
juanvasquez

I'd like to, but have no problems with the special editions so not particularly fussed. I bet eps I-III look super shiny.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 3:01:46 PM   
film man aidy

If anyone hasn't checked this out already, get over to Aint it cool to view the a deleted Jedi scene I never knew existed. It's a pre-Jabba's palace sequence, and is absolutely superb. Makes Mark Hamill look a proper badass...

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 35
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 3:10:30 PM   
juanvasquez

It was good but ruined by the whooping from the audience.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 36
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 3:29:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

It was good but ruined by the whooping from the audience.

It was ok. Vaders "Lukeeeee.....Lukeeeee..." was silly, and the scene didn't really add much. Can see why it was cut. Still, nice to have it out there.

Also Lucas is unbelieveable - he claims that doing a BR transfer of the films in their non-SE state would be too expensive? Yet EON managed to do it with 20 Bond films, and Arrow Films have done excellent Blu Rays of niche Italian horror films. Not to mention that the pre-SE films were remastered in the 90s.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 37
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 7:56:37 PM   
darth silas

Luke almost looked like Sidious in that scene.Not surprised it was cut but good to see it finally.

Was the scene where Vader strangles two of the Emperors guards ever see the light of day?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 7:57:17 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
Also Lucas is unbelieveable - he claims that doing a BR transfer of the films in their non-SE state would be too expensive? Yet EON managed to do it with 20 Bond films, and Arrow Films have done excellent Blu Rays of niche Italian horror films. Not to mention that the pre-SE films were remastered in the 90s.

No, he's right - it's too expensive when you don't really want to do it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 39
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 8:39:41 PM   
petecriss8000

Can anyone confirm for me that the BDs feature both the 1997 AND 2004 versions? Because I can take the 97 SE because Fett's voice and the Shaw-ghost are still there...

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 40
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 8:43:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

Can anyone confirm for me that the BDs feature both the 1997 AND 2004 versions? Because I can take the 97 SE because Fett's voice and the Shaw-ghost are still there...

But then you are having REALLY CRAPPY Geedo shooting and Jabba. It is a tough trade to make there.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 41
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 15/8/2010 10:02:35 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Luke almost looked like Sidious in that scene.Not surprised it was cut but good to see it finally.

Thats exactly what I thought! In fact, thats what I really liked about the scene.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 42
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 12:54:33 AM   
mafyou

I can't believe that upgrading the original prints is too expensive for Lucas. That's just preposterous.

Be honest, George.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 16/8/2010 1:24:32 AM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 43
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 12:59:38 AM   
Rgirvan44

Now here is a question for you all - do you think Lucas will keep the grain on the first four films, or DNR them to death so it all "fits"?

Whats more - do we think he will be tweaking the movies some more? I suspect he will.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 44
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 1:24:23 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Now here is a question for you all - do you think Lucas will keep the grain on the first four films, or DNR them to death so it all "fits"?

Whats more - do we think he will be tweaking the movies some more? I suspect he will.

I expect some tweaks too, although I would be really annoyed if he removes the grain.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 45
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 2:07:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I expect some tweaks too, although I would be really annoyed if he removes the grain.

It is a tough one - because a lot of the Star Wars crowd, esp the younger set, may expect HD to mean 100% clear images on the OT and that could mean excessive DNR scrubbing. That will piss off some of the older fans.

But on the other hand, a grain intact transfer might alientate the younger fans.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 46
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 8:35:10 AM   
D-ToX

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I can't believe that upgrading the original prints is too expensive for Lucas. That's just preposterous.

Be honest, George.

This is only a cover to get the fans off his back and drum up even more interest while his company takes its time to do a good job.

And why does everyone keep accusing Lucas of being cheap or complaining about the cost, its not his money its Lucasfilm's money which means its a business and you just can't through money around for the hell of it, check out the documentary 'The Beginning' on The Phantom Menace, you can see him carefully working out the budget, if he has all the money in the world to spend why would he give a damn about the budget.

Star Wars is part of a business not a charity.

And hopefully the grain will be gone from the prints because if anyone thinks that was part of George’s original vision then they have no nothing about him.

"I said do what I say not do what I do"

http://bluraydatabase.co.uk

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 47
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 10:11:11 AM   
vader100

Sort of O/T but this is an interesting article.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/08/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer.html

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 48
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 10:12:42 AM   
Wedge

I wonder when we can expect the Indiana Jones trilogy...or did I miss that announcement?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 49
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 12:20:53 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

It is a tough one - because a lot of the Star Wars crowd, esp the younger set, may expect HD to mean 100% clear images on the OT and that could mean excessive DNR scrubbing. That will piss off some of the older fans.

But on the other hand, a grain intact transfer might alientate the younger fans.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

There is no reason to expect excessive DNR. The current masters were processed at Lowry Digital, and even the bit-starved broadcasts of them have had fine grain.

Star Wars wasn't ever a particularly grainy film, except in some of the opticals. Those were re-done during the mid '90s "restoration" which became the Special Edition.

There is an excellent article on the making of the Special Edition and the state of the original negatives here.

As to the cost of a restoration of the Theatrical Cuts, it would be expensive to do a proper job as many of the shots would have to be recompiled from the original elements. It'd have to make financial sense to do it.

While there are those who will not buy the Blu-ray without the original cuts, that number is made up of a minority (albeit a very vocal one) and the money lost from their sales isn't a significant amount in the grand scheme. Besides many of them will buy it regardless, and then bitch and moan about it afterwards.

I'd be happy with a warts and all scan of a decent print (colour corrected due to fading), but the critics would bitch about that too. It's got to the point where Lucas bashing has become more about dogma than any real issues. Even the deleted scene released over the weekend has got the conspiracy theorists among them crying foul.

I'm actually more hopeful we will get a restoration than I have been for a long time. At least now he is talking in terms of cost rather than how the old versions no longer exist. It may be he is softening on the issue.

Of course it may just be my wishful thinking.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 50
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 16/8/2010 12:50:01 PM   
rich

quote:

And heres where I switch off to anything about this BD release. What a joker, seriously.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 51
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 17/8/2010 2:40:19 PM   
vader100

While I can understand the reasons why Lucas has decided not to release the original cuts as part of this set citing money as the main factor is a big mistake. There are many other, more worthy, reasons that would make getting them up to Bluray standards difficult but, in his position, money is the wrong reason to make the primary one.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 17/8/2010 2:50:29 PM   
D-ToX

As much as I am not bothered if he does or doesn't release the original versions, as a collector it would be nice to have then all, Blade Runner being a good example or doing it right.
But considering the stick he got for the last time he caved in and gave the fans the original versions on DVD I am not surprised he has pulled it...for now.

I will side with Lucas when it comes to the money aspect, after all he is running a business and you do not make a product that is not going to give you a good return.

"I said do what I say not do what I do"

http://bluraydatabase.co.uk

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 53
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 1:09:46 AM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: D-ToX

As much as I am not bothered if he does or doesn't release the original versions, as a collector it would be nice to have then all, Blade Runner being a good example or doing it right.
But considering the stick he got for the last time he caved in and gave the fans the original versions on DVD I am not surprised he has pulled it...for now.

I will side with Lucas when it comes to the money aspect, after all he is running a business and you do not make a product that is not going to give you a good return.

For once I agree. The DVD versions of the original cuts did not sell well. This is probably because they were direct tranfers from the laserdisc copy and as such were not much better than VHS quality with only DD2.0 sound.

To the fanboys that say I'll stick with my VHS, be careful what you wish for.

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 54
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 4:05:55 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: D-ToX

And why does everyone keep accusing Lucas of being cheap or complaining about the cost, its not his money its Lucasfilm's money which means its a business and you just can't through money around for the hell of it, check out the documentary 'The Beginning' on The Phantom Menace, you can see him carefully working out the budget, if he has all the money in the world to spend why would he give a damn about the budget.

Star Wars is part of a business not a charity.

Lucasfilm is owned by George Lucas, so it is his money. And $115m is a lot to make a movie, even if you are a billionaire.

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 55
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 8:47:41 AM   
Timon

One of Den of Geek's freelance writers (a really knowledgeable, good-looking chap) has been speculating on what deleted scenes could be on the Blu-Rays.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/567971/what_deleted_scenes_might_we_see_on_the_star_wars_blurays.html

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 56
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 1:12:25 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

One of Den of Geek's freelance writers (a really knowledgeable, good-looking chap) has been speculating on what deleted scenes could be on the Blu-Rays.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/567971/what_deleted_scenes_might_we_see_on_the_star_wars_blurays.html

He's missed off the earlier cut of the cantina scene in ANH, with the girl sat next to Han Solo, and the scene with Darth Vader choking an imperial guard in ROTJ.

The deleted scenes from A New Hope were all included in the 1998 CD-Rom Behind the Magic.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 1:13:54 PM   
Timon

Yeah, but they were really short and don't really add much. Plus I couldn't find decent images.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 58
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 18/8/2010 1:17:54 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah, but they were really short and don't really add much. Plus I couldn't find decent images.

Sorry, missed the sutble hint that you'd written it!  If I remember correctly, this book had a picture of the ROTJ scene

Return of the Jedi: The Storybook Based on the Movie (1983)
A novel by
Joan D Vinge

And also here, for anyone who's interested- http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=11&p2_articleid=419

< Message edited by Wedge -- 18/8/2010 1:21:29 PM >

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 59
RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! - 20/8/2010 1:54:41 PM   
Toby Monroe

This is all quite exciting.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works Official !! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI