Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Films you've walked out of

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films you've walked out of Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 1:37:21 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Well thats not really true is it? Why would anyone want to spend a significant amount of time researching in to whether or not they'll like a film they're about to see? Why would you want to spoil it for yourself? I rarely read reviews before seeing a film that I know I'll wind up seeing, and avoid trailers if possible. Of course I know my own taste, but there are still things that surprise me. Case in point, The Way Back which I saw yesterday. Great looking film, by a great filmmaker and featuring a solid cast; yet it was absolute gubbins (worst of the year contender).

Okay, 'access to information forming the ability to make an informed choice as to participate in the film's viewing', whether that's reading a review or otherwise.

My point still stands. I don't expect to have to "access" information in order to pre-decide whether or not I will like a film before I've seen it. Part of the film going experience is feeling your reaction to the work, be it wonderment, laughter or outrage.

I like to know as little as possible about a film before I see it, and to suggest that any sense of disappointment I express from not enjoying a film comes solely from my own inability to predict the future strikes me as a little odd, and very unfair.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 121
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 1:50:14 PM   
zcarstheme

quote:

I like to know as little as possible about a film before I see it, and to suggest that any sense of disappointment I express from not enjoying a film comes solely from my own inability to predict the future strikes me as a little odd, and very unfair.

Look at a cinematic outing like a date between you and the film. The date might be wonderful, or disappointing, the date might be dull or so-so. If, on the other hand, the date is such an appalling mis-match that you actually feel that you have to bail out of the bathroom window before it's even over, there's a possibility that you weren't quite being selective enough in your choice of companion.

There's a difference between 'a sense of disappointment' and walking out, and there's a difference between being able to predict the future and understanding your own mind and the culture that you exist within.

I didn't have to walk out of Meet the Spartans because there was no chance in hell that I'd have been sitting in the screen in the first place.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 122
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 2:00:23 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well thats not really true is it? Why would anyone want to spend a significant amount of time researching in to whether or not they'll like a film they're about to see? Why would you want to spoil it for yourself? I rarely read reviews before seeing a film that I know I'll wind up seeing, and avoid trailers if possible. Of course I know my own taste, but there are still things that surprise me. Case in point, The Way Back which I saw yesterday. Great looking film, by a great filmmaker and featuring a solid cast; yet it was absolute gubbins (worst of the year contender).

Okay, 'access to information forming the ability to make an informed choice as to participate in the film's viewing', whether that's reading a review or otherwise.

My point still stands. I don't expect to have to "access" information in order to pre-decide whether or not I will like a film before I've seen it. Part of the film going experience is feeling your reaction to the work, be it wonderment, laughter or outrage.

As you say Adam, generally we as individuals know what sets our hearts and minds alight when making a decision to see a film, be it genre, previous work, a particular actor or actress in the role.

All I'm saying is the informatin is there should an individual wish to take as much or as little pre-guided information as they want resulting in hopefully seeing a film they won't be dissapointed in.

Your example for you obviously was very unfortunate given the standard of cast and director.

Post #: 123
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 3:03:28 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

As you say Adam, generally we as individuals know what sets our hearts and minds alight when making a decision to see a film, be it genre, previous work, a particular actor or actress in the role.

All I'm saying is the informatin is there should an individual wish to take as much or as little pre-guided information as they want resulting in hopefully seeing a film they won't be dissapointed in.

Your example for you obviously was very unfortunate given the standard of cast and director.

I agree with this (to an extent; sure it applies to mainstream cinema, but what about the less than mainstream?), and as a result don't think that the hardline approach towards viewer savviness dictated by ZCarsTheme and yourself applies.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 124
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 3:09:45 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

I agree with this (to an extent; sure it applies to mainstream cinema, but what about the less than mainstream?), and as a result don't think that the hardline approach towards viewer savviness dictated by ZCarsTheme and yourself applies.

Depends on the viewer's expectation by all accounts, obviously your lunk headed chav going to see Saw 10 on a Friday night late showing isn't going for the asthetic pleasure of the cinematography or beautifully delivered sub-plot.

Post #: 125
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 3:11:06 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: zcarstheme

quote:

Look at a cinematic outing like a date between you and the film. The date might be wonderful, or disappointing, the date might be dull or so-so. If, on the other hand, the date is such an appalling mis-match that you actually feel that you have to bail out of the bathroom window before it's even over, there's a possibility that you weren't quite being selective enough in your choice of companion.

There's a difference between 'a sense of disappointment' and walking out, and there's a difference between being able to predict the future and understanding your own mind and the culture that you exist within.

I didn't have to walk out of Meet the Spartans because there was no chance in hell that I'd have been sitting in the screen in the first place.

It doesn't always work like that though. I see a wide range of films at the cinema, and not only ones that I expect to like. Granted I've not got an example as extreme as Meet The Spartans, but I did walk out of Transformers, and I was on the verge of doing so earlier this year with A Town Called Panic. Now theoretically the latter ought to be right up my street, yet I found it unbearable. I expected to enjoy it but didn't. Transformers on the other hand was expectedly a disappointment, but I went to see it out of interest, in search of spectacle and with a group of friends. Similarly, G.I Joe, a film which I wouldn't normally step within a hundred feet of, was wholly enjoyed when I saw it under similar circumstances.

Basically what I'm attempting to say here is, these things can't always be predicted.

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 126
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 3:14:02 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zcarstheme

quote:

It doesn't always work like that though. I see a wide range of films at the cinema, and not only ones that I expect to like. Granted I've not got an example as extreme as Meet The Spartans, but I did walk out of Transformers, and I was on the verge of doing so earlier this year with A Town Called Panic. Now theoretically the latter ought to be right up my street, yet I found it unbearable. I expected to enjoy it but didn't. Transformers on the other hand was expectedly a disappointment, but I went to see it out of interest, in search of spectacle and with a group of friends. Similarly, G.I Joe, a film which I wouldn't normally step within a hundred feet of, was wholly enjoyed when I saw it under similar circumstances.

Basically what I'm attempting to say here is, these things can't always be predicted.

Anything with the words Michael Bay attached will always be a dissapointment and shit.

Post #: 127
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 5:33:21 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Anything with the words Michael Bay attached will always be a dissapointment and shit.

And I would have said the same about anything headed by the sentence "A Stephen Sommers film" prior to seeing GI Joe, alas I found myself enjoying the film. I'm not saying that GI Joe is a "good" film by any stretch of the imagination, but that I enjoyed it, contradicting my expectations. Which is my point.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 128
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 6:01:58 PM   
sanchia

And unless you get a complete blow by blow of the film, read all the reviews out there (as possibly some reviews tastes may differ to your own with regards to some types of films) and pretty much spoil any potential surprise enjoyment you may obtain from a film then it is difficult to attribute all the blame on the viewer. As Adam has stated it is sometime nice to go to a film expecting nothing, and to be honest it is films I have gone to on a whim which I have enjoyed the most.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 129
RE: Films you've walked out of - 22/12/2010 6:16:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

And unless you get a complete blow by blow of the film, read all the reviews out there (as possibly some reviews tastes may differ to your own with regards to some types of films) and pretty much spoil any potential surprise enjoyment you may obtain from a film then it is difficult to attribute all the blame on the viewer. As Adam has stated it is sometime nice to go to a film expecting nothing, and to be honest it is films I have gone to on a whim which I have enjoyed the most.

Exactly. If someone had told me five years ago that I would have left a cinema overjoyed with a Batman film I would have laughed at them. Likewise if they had told me that I would have left a Clive Owen film declaring it the best of its year (Children Of Men). Hell, how many people wrote off The Social Network simply because of its subject matter? Granted those films have amazing filmmakers behind them, but my prejudices towards the characters, stories or actors involved would surely inform my opinion if one were to base their screening decisions based on what (or what they think) they know.

Cinema is supposed to surprise, predictability is surely the antithesis of what we want?!

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 22/12/2010 6:19:27 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 130
RE: I say WALK!!! - 1/1/2011 2:13:18 PM   
DazDaMan

I've never walked out of a film, but I've switched several off in my time:

The Devil's Rejects
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Gus van Sant's Psycho
Garfield

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 131
RE: I say WALK!!! - 13/1/2011 7:56:05 AM   
gunslinger19

Only ever walked out on one film I paid money to see.
Matrix Reloaded, just such a bewildering script that left me nudging my partner and asking her what the hell was going on, when she didn't know either we left.
Seen film since then and still doesn't make any sense, but thats just my opinion of Matrix.
Paid money to go see Mars Attacks and wish I hadn't, didn't walk but boy I was glad when it was over.
Not denying the film was funny but so over the top and cringeworthy in parts.

"Ive got something to say...it's better to burn out than fade away..."
"Your over confidence is your weakness".........
"Your faith in your friends is yours"
"Why so serious....?"

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 132
RE: I say WALK!!! - 14/1/2011 10:17:54 PM   
captain jack harknes

New in Town
Public Enemies
Lesbian Vampire Killers
The Other Guys
The Tale of Desperaux
Nim's Island

Umm that's all I can remember! I have a cineworld card so as I'm watching for free (well kind of...) I have a lower tolerance level!

< Message edited by captain jack harknes -- 14/1/2011 10:19:21 PM >

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to gunslinger19)
Post #: 133
RE: Films you've walked out of - 18/1/2011 1:03:34 AM   
Sad Professor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

THX 1138 on DVD; utter, utter dross. Apart from creating Star Wars and Indy, Lucas really hasn't done much to impress me (I don't even rate A New Hope that highly).

American Graffiti

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

There should be legislation in place that states if you leave before the one hour point you are entitled to a full refund. If you have paid for a product (which a film essentially is) and you, as a consumer, are not happy you should be entitled to your money back! Or at least vouchers for another film. Or like in America, where they refund you if you complain  in the slightest. When I was in Las Vegas I paid for the utterly shit (and I knew it would be!) I am Legend. This was purely for the six minutes of Dark Knight IMAX footage that preceded the actual film in America. Oh the excitement… and then the sound was completely out of sync. Decided to stay for the film as the seats were rather comfortable. But afterwards I approached the manager. I got as far as "the sound on the Dark knight preview was out of syc…” and he interrupted, offering a full refund on all tickets we had purchased. Quality! Plus I never had to pay for I am Legend! Which was indeed… shit!

First 20minutes was the rule when I was working in a cinema.

Most films are 2hrs long, one hour in and you've consumed half the product I suppose. It was debatable whether the 20mins included ads+trailers though it usually did. Most walk outs were from people who were used to rom-coms or loud explosions not being impressed with "boring" films like Lost in Translation. Parents dragging their kids out of Bad Santa covering their ears after the anal scene was hilarious.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Some Bruce Willis film from years back, The Siege. Bobbins!

I actually kinda liked The Siege. Willis pre-Sixth Sense and Washington post-Virtuosity in a terror plot with some cliche bad guys from "middle east" blowing up New York and the DVD cover had the Twin Towers surrounded in fire. Oh and your man from Monk was in it.

I'm surprised more people haven't  said they walked out of stuff because it was falsely advertised. Reign of Fire for instance must win some kind of 'most misleading promotion' award. 

When I see this topic I always think that Irreversible must've had a fair few walkouts after the fire extinguisher scene.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 134
RE: Films you've walked out of - 12/4/2011 6:09:12 PM   
MACaver

I've walked out of a few films and shut off crappy DVD's...

40 Year Old Virgin was one I walked out after 25 minutes of me being the ONLY one in the theater not laughing, maybe it's me but I didn't think the film was funny at all... period.
I WISH I walked out of "The Ninth Gate"... holy mother of God, why did I sit all the way through that one? I could've lived the rest of my life and not seen that movie... then I would've died a happy man.

Had I not been glad to have paid a dollar (0.69 euros) for (newer) True Grit... I'd probably would've walked out of that one.

Film Studios and distributors should have a "it sucked really bad" clause/guarantee where if a person walks out of the film ... they get their money back. To make sure no-one is taking advantage of it if you sit past the 1/2 way point of the film... tough, you can still walk out but no refund.

There are things known and things unknown, and in-between are the doors. ~ Jim Morrison

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 135
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 1:15:18 AM   
Spaldron

Never walked out of one but switched a fair few off in my time. Think the last one was 'Im Not There', the Bob Dylan "film". Just didn't get into it one bit.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MACaver)
Post #: 136
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 12:31:19 PM   
great_badir

I've never walked out of a film (don't see how you can be critical about something without seeing it through to the bitter end), but I have come very close on three occasions - Roland Emmerich's Godzilla remake, Michael Bay's Armageddon and (you can't get much more of a polar opposite to those two than this) Catherine Breillat's Romance.

I would say I walked out of Trainspotting (which I think is the worst film ever made - sorry pretty much everyone else on the planet), but I saw it on video.  And watched the whole thing.  I wish I didn't.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 137
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 2:24:55 PM   
bid red mcneil

a film in the mid 90's - cant remember its name - by michael winner, was awful, i should have picked up on the clues though ie a film by michael winner

"That was irrational of you... not to mention unsportsmanlike."

"Well it appears to me that there can't be too many guys driving around this valley with an ape."

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 138
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 8:04:43 PM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

quote:

ORIGINAL: bid red mcneil

a film in the mid 90's - cant remember its name - by michael winner, was awful, i should have picked up on the clues though ie a film by michael winner

Ohhhh, would that be Dirty Weekend by Michael Winner??? Mid 90s????

Should of been called Shit Weekend!!!

Bounty Hunters. We don't need that Scum.

(in reply to bid red mcneil)
Post #: 139
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 9:05:39 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: BubbaGump Shrimps

Should of been called Shit Weekend!!!

THAT is a completely different film for the ahem connoissieur.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BubbaGump Shrimps)
Post #: 140
RE: Films you've walked out of - 14/4/2011 9:21:29 PM   
MonsterCat

Cop Out. There's only so much of Bruce Willis sleepwalking through a film and Tracy Morgan acting like an 8 year old kid on a sugar rush I can stand, and I walked out after the first two reels. Usually I have a lot of time for Kevin Smith, but Cop Out is a no.1 tie with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as his worst film. Just horrible on every level.

Halloween II. The Rob Zombie one, not the actually quite good, Rick Rosenthal one. I walked out after 45 minutes to count the lightbulbs in the cinema I work for. That's how mind-numbingly boring this flick is. And I'm in the minority of liking Zombie's first take on Michael Myers!

Transformers 2. I would of walked out of this sooner than I did, but I fell asleep during the first 30 minutes of the film and woke up with 20 minutes left to go.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 141
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Films you've walked out of Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI