Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Great Beer Movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 3/3/2011 9:48:39 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

Ha Ha, lo mate, well cheered me up!

Mr Hughes touched on this a couple of days ago, are you keeping all right DL?

Yeah just about mate, thanks, I get mild [usually!] depression every now and again, maybe it's those films I watch, or maybe it's my partying, or maybe it's because I'm approaching the big Four Zero this year.  But cheers for asking!

Take it easy mate and remember you have pals here. I'm not that far from reaching that milestone either.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 391
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/3/2011 8:37:51 AM   
Dr Lenera

Thanks David.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 392
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 11/3/2011 12:37:57 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: ada123

I haven't watch this movie. this movie is really looks tacky... I was not willing to watch this movie. And I was right with my that decision, cause movie not gonna rocking that much. Really God saves me lol.. :) I am lucky ;)

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish
Post #: 393
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 31/7/2011 5:39:29 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ada123

I haven't watch this movie. this movie is really looks tacky... I was not willing to watch this movie. And I was right with my that decision, cause movie not gonna rocking that much. Really God saves me lol.. :) I am lucky ;)

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 394
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2011 11:31:30 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Real Steel (2011)

I've always loved the reviews you get in newspapers and magazines when they tell you to go and see a film if you liked what they deem to be similar previous releases. With Real Steel it would be a combination of Rocky, Transformers, Spy Kids and the Champ. It combines a down on his luck dad, son, girlfriend and robot that we all should be routing for with metal pounding action and carnage. But how hard do you need to try to win over your audience? It has countless sad eye shots Dakoto Goyo (the son), tired eyes of Evangeline Lily (the girlfriend), sad bleeps and sighs (Atom the droid) and depressed and hopless grimaces from Hugh Jackman (the father). Does the audience needs these shots so we can all swing our fist in the air harder and go, 'Yeh' when things start going right for the Kenton clan?

Hugh Jackman plays Charlie Kenton, an  ex-fighter and seemingly hopeless robot trainer.  He is up to his neck in debt and is borrowing more and more money to purchase cut price fighting robots that end up as scrap by the end of each match.  News that his 11 year old son, Max has lost his mum, only serves as another inconvenience and he agrees to handover the child to his caring aunt (Hope Davis) in exchange for money from the new stepdad (James Rebhorn). Part of the deal is that he has to take Max into his care for a few months which is the part that upsets Charlie most. His plan is to dump the boy with his girlfriend, Bailey (Envangleine Lilly) while he goes on the road. But Max manages to get in on the action.
During a break in to a scrap yard for spare robot parts, Max discovers a beaten up sparring robot (a droid that can take a beating but not dish it out) which he takes back to Bailey to reconstruct. Charlie dismisses his son's tastes in droids by lambasting his chances of success in a fight. You know it is only a matter of time before the new acquisition, named Atom turns up in the ring and suddenly the Kentons' fortunes start to take a turn for the better. Not only does Max possess a flair for dodgy dealings and bargaining powerbut he has unearthed a iron giant with a pair of steel cahoonas.  Atom takes a pounding in the movie's most enjoyable and funny battle sequence from a heavy, ugly beast of a droid. The dads and sons in the cinema crowd certainly were shouting when Atom drags himself from the dirt and starts the big fight back. Hooray!
Soon the Kenton team are gaining publicity and marching up the ranks as the battered but seemingly invincible Atom goes from one victory to another.  Max holds the belief, Charlie can spot an opponent's weaknesses and Adam can get his face pummelled and get back up. Yet it is invivitable  that a winner takes all match between the undefeated champion, Zeus will be approaching sooner than later. A droid that cannot be defeated. Can he?
Real Steel falls into beer movie, action territory. It is a cluster of assembled scrap components and cinematic emotional techniques that reels in it's targeted family audience and in most cases, achieves what it sets out to do. The effects and fight sequences are solid and occasionally exciting. They are certainly on a par with what was on offer in the Transformers flicks but on a much smaller canvas. The combination of shiny, spray painted, techno robots against the scrappy, oil dripping monster droids is a nice touch. There is certainly more heart in Real Steel than in a combo of all three Transformer releases put together. The relationship with Bumblebee and Sam is on a similar theme to Atom and Max, yet the latter is more moving and sincere.
At some points, Shawn Levy hints that there might be something more within Atom than just metal and oil. There are several lingering shots of the droid where one might think that he might respond or do something to suggest he has a soul or artificial intelligence  but perhaps wisely the director never explores or verifies this. I did think for one moment during a scene where the father and son are beaten up and robbed of their money by bad guy (Kevin Durand) that Atom might jump into the action to save them.

The movie's real problem arrives with Hugh Jackman's character. He is so dislikeable, stupid yet cocksure during the bulk of the running time that all our attention is drawn to Max and Atom. How many times do we have to see Jackman look to the side or lose attention when he thinks he's won a fight only for the opponent to jump up and bop his robot? Charlie blatantly steals parts and money but the audience are meant to route for him. If Kenton team had lost all those fights you can't help expecting that he would have dumped his son quicker than the referee destroyed Wales chances of winning against France in the the Rugby World Cup Semi finals.  I couldn't help think the director made a massive misjudgement making his main character such a tw*t.
The next problem is the sentimental direction that the story takes. Even the children in the audience groaned when Charlie finally gains the respect of his son in a truly horrible and sick inducing sequence during the final fight confrontation.  This is a guy's movie and we want to see robots smashing things up not young boys shedding tears of pride for their dads. Am I wrong? Maybe.  
For all it's faults, Real Steel does revel in it's crowd pleasing credentials. The Americans love the underdog story and this is just another of the endless variations that Hollywood churn out that 9 out of 10 confidently smash the box office cash registers. Most of the cinema audience left with a smile on their face with young lads telling their dads that the film was cool. Real Steel certainly achieves that goal. I can see a sequel  in the making. 
Rating 6/10 Beer Movie Rating 4/5

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 395
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/1/2012 11:10:27 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

2011 Rehash/ Remake Verdicts (Hit or Miss)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - HIT!! - Tense and engrossing thriller with a fine British cast. The classic BBC1 series has been off our screens long enough to warrant a big screen version of the spy hunting yarn.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Miss - So very similar to the Scandanavian effort that however polished David Fincher's take on the story appears, this cannot merit pass marks. The opening titles with NIN soundtrack are fantastic though. Noomi Rapace as Lispeth is sorely missed. Buy the original DVD bxset.

The Thing - Ok, it technically a prequel but borrows several of the ideas from original setpieces and reinvents them with less than impressive results. Elizabeth Winstead does her best to save a sinking ship. Shows signs of promise near the end of film. Buy the Carpenter version. - Miss

Footloose - Miss. No Kevin Bacon. No Chris Penn. No bother.

Straw Dogs - Miss - James Marsden just does not convice as the mild mannered mathematician pushed too far. The original had an uneasy atmosphere and dread from the start. This is more violent but builds no tension. Go for Sammy's version.

Don't be Afraid of the Dark - NV - Still not seen this one but from CGI clips and negative response from Horror Cult Films website, it might be better to seek out the original 1970's TV movie in a bargain basement DVD bin.

I Spit on Your Grave - NV - Another that I have not seen. I was not a fan of the original and the reviews on this one were mixed.

Conclusion - Please try something new!!!!! Ideas please?

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 6/1/2012 11:11:33 AM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 396
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 12/1/2012 1:03:37 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Inkubus (2011)
(18) Running time: 78 mins
Director: Glen Ciano

Writers: Glen Ciano

Starring: Robert Englund, William Forsythe, Joey Fatone, Michelle Ray Smith

Reviewed by: David Gillespie, official HCF artist
The early 1980ĀĆs was the most successful period for the b-movie horror film.  The home video market was going through its boom period leading to a flood of low budget movies hitting the shelves attracting potential rental customers with their shocking and inventive cover artwork.  Video rental retailers started to appear all over the place to take advantage of this lucrative form of home entertainment. In my home town of Abronhill in Lanarkshire we even had a fruit van that used rent out VHS and Beta videos!
Interesting that new blood director, Glenn Ciano should promote his self written, shlock horror flick as a throwback to the 1980 glory years.  Robert Englund, a promoter of young directorial talent, certainly believed there was enough potential and invention in Ciano to accept the lead villain role in the project.

In a mental institution, a recently admitted detective called Caretti (Joey Fatone) recalls the grisly events of an evening at Woodhaven police station where the skeleton crew are visited by an ancient demon called Inkubus (Robert Englund).  He has returned to gain his vengeance on the Detective Gil Diamante (William Forsythe) who almost destroyed him thirteen years ago.  A night of terror and torment ensues for the police staff, a young inmate and a female psychologist as they get despatched one by one by the shape changing Inkubus. His weapon of choice is a rather deadly blade contraption that he wields to amputate and decapitate victims.  Diamante reluctantly returns to the police station to face the beast that destroyed his family and friends during their first encounter. Can  both Diamante and Caretti bring about an end to this evil once and for all?

Inkubus might not be a groundbreaking entry in the horror genre but it is certainly gory, beer movie fun. It is a strange mix of Demon Knight blended with Attack on Precinct 13, without reaching the schlocky heights of both of these projects. The productionĀfs main strength is the inclusion of Englund who is clearly enjoying himself in his familiar bogeyman role. He is armed with a briefcase full of one liners and terrible puns that he only gets away with because of his fiendish charm.  The ever reliable, William Forsythe (DevilĀfs Rejects, Halloween)  goes for a more restrained approach as EnglundĀfs old adversary and the movie works best when they are both on screen together. All other performers are fine if not forgettable. Joe Fatone proves to be competant as the square jawed hero and Michelle Ray Smith copes reasonably well as the feisty female cop.  Although she will win no acting awards in the near future, she is sprawled on an office desk with very little clothing within the first 10 minutes of the running time which will please the male beer swilling community.
Due to the budget constraints of the project there are countless scenes with characters running around wobbly corridors and jail cells.  The director decides fairly early on that he will be going for gore effects rather than genuine suspense or chills. This approach works fine apart from CianoĀfs rather iritating habit of repeating certain sequences throughout the action.  A moderately effective opening scene involving an  Āealien inspiredĀf birth with blood splattered, demon muppet is needlessly used on several ocassions and starts to become tiresome rather than unsettling.

Apparently the production was wrapped up and completed in 15 days.  This might explain the rather abrupt ending where Englund, Forsythe and Fatone square up for one final battle. Before you can finish another swig of your can the end credits begin sprawling down your TV screen.
Inkubus is by no means the worst of its genre. It features an on form Robert Englund, moves at a good pace and at just over an hour running time, does not overstay its welcome.  So sit back with a good six pack and curry and enjoy yourself.
Rating:

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 397
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 12/1/2012 7:03:23 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Inkubus (2011)
(18) Running time: 78 mins
Director: Glen Ciano

Writers: Glen Ciano

Starring: Robert Englund, William Forsythe, Joey Fatone, Michelle Ray Smith

Reviewed by: David Gillespie, official HCF artist
The early 1980ĀĆs was the most successful period for the b-movie horror film.  The home video market was going through its boom period leading to a flood of low budget movies hitting the shelves attracting potential rental customers with their shocking and inventive cover artwork.  Video rental retailers started to appear all over the place to take advantage of this lucrative form of home entertainment. In my home town of Abronhill in Lanarkshire we even had a fruit van that used rent out VHS and Beta videos!
Interesting that new blood director, Glenn Ciano should promote his self written, shlock horror flick as a throwback to the 1980 glory years.  Robert Englund, a promoter of young directorial talent, certainly believed there was enough potential and invention in Ciano to accept the lead villain role in the project.

Inkubus is by no means the worst of its genre. It features an on form Robert Englund, moves at a good pace and at just over an hour running time, does not overstay its welcome.  So sit back with a good six pack and curry and enjoy yourself.
Rating:

NICE to see this thread back up and ruining again,and a decent beer movie being recommended.

quote:

2011 Rehash/ Remake Verdicts (Hit or Miss)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - HIT!! - Tense and engrossing thriller with a fine British cast. The classic BBC1 series has been off our screens long enough to warrant a big screen version of the spy hunting yarn.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Miss - So very similar to the Scandanavian effort that however polished David Fincher's take on the story appears, this cannot merit pass marks. The opening titles with NIN soundtrack are fantastic though. Noomi Rapace as Lispeth is sorely missed. Buy the original DVD bxset.

The Thing - Ok, it technically a prequel but borrows several of the ideas from original setpieces and reinvents them with less than impressive results. Elizabeth Winstead does her best to save a sinking ship. Shows signs of promise near the end of film. Buy the Carpenter version. - Miss

Footloose - Miss. No Kevin Bacon. No Chris Penn. No bother.

Straw Dogs - Miss - James Marsden just does not convice as the mild mannered mathematician pushed too far. The original had an uneasy atmosphere and dread from the start. This is more violent but builds no tension. Go for Sammy's version.

Don't be Afraid of the Dark - NV - Still not seen this one but from CGI clips and negative response from Horror Cult Films website, it might be better to seek out the original 1970's TV movie in a bargain basement DVD bin.

I Spit on Your Grave - NV - Another that I have not seen. I was not a fan of the original and the reviews on this one were mixed.

Conclusion - Please try something new!!!!! Ideas please?

I see we both liked Tinker Tailor,and Fincher doing a remake fell flat,but i did enjoy THE THING prequel.Never liked Footlosse,yet to see Straw Dogs remake,Don't Be Afraid was a shit remake,but split dissension on I Spit On Your Grave. IE loved the original's far darker and for my money more brutal film,yet enjoyed what for me was a tamer remake,yet very stylish visually.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 398
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 18/4/2012 9:46:10 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Headhunters (2012) Cert 15

Headhunters is a complex and gleefully twisted variation on the Droopy cartoon. The main character attempts to escape his canine pursuer but no matter where he hides and what extreme measures he will go to in hiding his identity, Droopy always finds him.  Fortunately this is only part of the fun. Jo Nesboís dangles more than a few red herrings throughout his ingenius thriller. Hollywood have also sat up and taken notice of the authorís work. It wonít be long before we see the Martin Scorsese version appearing on a big screen near you. If it is half the movie that Morten Tyldum has delivered then we are in for a right royal treat.

Aksel Hennie plays the corrupt, arrogant and insecure headhunter, Roger Brown.  His company targets rich and successful candidates for top positions at huge global businesses.  This is just a cover for the more lucrative and criminal pursuit of art thief. His victims are unaware that as he interviews them regards their personal details, he is conducting a profile on what artwork they have and the security devices they have within their property.  He explains to the viewer that he needs this additional source of funds to keep his beautiful wife, Diana ( Synnove Macody Lund) in the lifestyle that she is accustomed to. Roger is struggling for cash and is searching for one big job that will allow him to retire for good. The opportunity arrives in the form of Clas Greve ( Nikolaj Caster-Waldau), a good looking and confident director of a high-tech GPS company. Roger discovers that Clas is the owner of an extremely expensive piece of art and on a more sinister level, was a military mercenary in years gone by.  Once the theft takes place, the action hits top gear with more twists and turns than a bowl of spaghetti.  This is where my synopsis of Headhunters ends. To reveal any more of the plot would undoubtedly spoil the fun for anyone who is unfamiliar with Nesboís grisly and darkly funny tale.

The beauty of the cinema is that just when you think things are becomming stale and cliched, a film like Headhunters arrives and reminds you of just why you love visiting the local hall or multiplex. The story is clever (the uncoventional airbag), the dialogue smart, the setpieces are exciting (a very original carchase) and the acting is first class.
Aksel Hennie, resembling crooked Glasgow Rangerís owner Craig Whyte, is outstanding as the selfish and resourceful thief . He is a horrible character that is willing to go to any lengths to achieve his goals. Aksel injects enough charm and energy into the role to almost make his unspeakable acts forgivable. Try and watch his final heart to heart with his wife and not be moved. Nikolaj Caster-Waldau is the perfect choice to play the cold and charming Clay. Although he always appears to have the upper hand with his opponent, he realises he may have underestimated his preyís will to live.

The action scenes are shocking, very violent and hilarious all at the same time. Tyldum cleverly keeps the pace at a pedestrian stroll in the first half and shifts into turbo gear for the frantic and grisly second act. I was surprised to see that the movie was granted a 15 certification. Not only is the violence as extreme as you will see but there is a good quantity of nudity and sex on display.
Headhunters will take a lot of beating to be toppled as my film of 2012. Rarely have I left the cinema with such a willingness to sit back down and watch it all over again. 
9/10 Beer Movie Gold 5/5

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 399
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 18/4/2012 7:47:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Headhunters (2012) Cert 15

Headhunters is a complex and gleefully twisted variation on the Droopy cartoon. The main character attempts to escape his canine pursuer but no matter where he hides and what extreme measures he will go to in hiding his identity, Droopy always finds him.  Fortunately this is only part of the fun. Jo Nesbo's dangles more than a few red herrings throughout his ingenius thriller. Hollywood have also sat up and taken notice of the author's work. It won't be long before we see the Martin Scorsese version appearing on a big screen near you. If it is half the movie that Morten Tyldum has delivered then we are in for a right royal treat.

Aksel Hennie plays the corrupt, arrogant and insecure headhunter, Roger Brown.  His company targets rich and successful candidates for top positions at huge global businesses.  This is just a cover for the more lucrative and criminal pursuit of art thief. His victims are unaware that as he interviews them regards their personal details, he is conducting a profile on what artwork they have and the security devices they have within their property.  He explains to the viewer that he needs this additional source of funds to keep his beautiful wife, Diana ( Synnove Macody Lund) in the lifestyle that she is accustomed to. Roger is struggling for cash and is searching for one big job that will allow him to retire for good. The opportunity arrives in the form of Clas Greve ( Nikolaj Caster-Waldau), a good looking and confident director of a high-tech GPS company. Roger discovers that Clas is the owner of an extremely expensive piece of art and on a more sinister level, was a military mercenary in years gone by.  Once the theft takes place, the action hits top gear with more twists and turns than a bowl of spaghetti.  This is where my synopsis of Headhunters ends. To reveal any more of the plot would undoubtedly spoil the fun for anyone who is unfamiliar with Nesbo's grisly and darkly funny tale.

The beauty of the cinema is that just when you think things are becomming stale and cliched, a film like Headhunters arrives and reminds you of just why you love visiting the local hall or multiplex. The story is clever (the uncoventional airbag), the dialogue smart, the setpieces are exciting (a very original carchase) and the acting is first class.
Aksel Hennie, resembling crooked Glasgow Ranger's owner Craig Whyte, is outstanding as the selfish and resourceful thief . He is a horrible character that is willing to go to any lengths to achieve his goals. Aksel injects enough charm and energy into the role to almost make his unspeakable acts forgivable. Try and watch his final heart to heart with his wife and not be moved. Nikolaj Caster-Waldau is the perfect choice to play the cold and charming Clay. Although he always appears to have the upper hand with his opponent, he realises he may have underestimated his prey's will to live.

The action scenes are shocking, very violent and hilarious all at the same time. Tyldum cleverly keeps the pace at a pedestrian stroll in the first half and shifts into turbo gear for the frantic and grisly second act. I was surprised to see that the movie was granted a 15 certification. Not only is the violence as extreme as you will see but there is a good quantity of nudity and sex on display.
Headhunters will take a lot of beating to be toppled as my film of 2012. Rarely have I left the cinema with such a willingness to sit back down and watch it all over again. 
9/10 Beer Movie Gold 5/5

Nice one mate we miss this thread??

Post #: 400
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 19/4/2012 12:57:04 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Miss this and the wonderful Strange/ Weird thread, mate. Howevr I have been working on a script and am running out of time to submit it. It's looking good though.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 401
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 19/4/2012 7:47:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Miss this and the wonderful Strange/ Weird thread, mate. Howevr I have been working on a script and am running out of time to submit it. It's looking good though.

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the script,and i know HCF keeps you busy too,i do vist just can't log on.
But here's a great beer movie gold;
STONE (1974)

Members of the Grave Diggers Motorcycle Club are being knocked off one by one, and someone needs to find out why.Sydney detective Stone (Ken Shorter) is sent to investigate. Led by the Undertaker (Sandy Harbutt), a Vietnam war veteran, the GraveDiggers allow Stone to pose as a gang member.Amid violent confrontations with the Black Hawks, a rival gang the GraveDiggers hold responsible, Stone uncovers a political conspiracy behind the killings. When the truth is revealed, Stone must choose between his job and his loyalty to the Grave Diggers.

Writer/director/producer and actor (in this)Sandy Harbutts awesome Australian cult film about a bunch of biker outlaws riding Kawasaki 900s back in the crazy 70's.It was advertised back in the 80's VHS rental,as "before Mad Max There was Stone".Well forget that it's not a sci/fi film,the only link is the fact there's lot's of motorbikes and a cop involved,but this is more about a pretty realistic look at the 1970s Aussie outlaw biker scene.Forget the acting too it's at best well about  average,though a few members of the supporting cast went on to bigger and better things,e.g Helen Morse,Picnic At Hanging Rock etc. Bill Hunter,Muriels Wedding etc, but most of the major players were biker pals of Harbutt and have disappeared from the Australian acting industry. Ken Shorter(Stone) the lead,after a turn in Disney's Dragonslayer went into TV shows,and vanished.

Stone was a labour of love for adman turned actor Sandy Harbutt,who had a few minor parts before decideing to direct/produce and write his own film.A real biker enthusiast who took four years to get the script written by he and his pal Michael Robinson who plays Pinball in the movie.Filmed on a shoestring budget,during October and November 1973,it took only five weeks to film,yet it has some great stand out moments like the motorbike chase through Sidney with on board cameras done for real at high speed.Mad Max copyed this for it's awesome stunts,all done at high speed also,with cameras on board for added madness.There's also four hundred real bikers who participated as extras in the famous highway funeral procession sequence seen at the beginning of this film,it's bloody awesome.As i've already mentioned they used real bikers who had colorful names like Bad Max, Blue, Boots, Buzzard, Captain Midnight, Dr Death, Euridyce, Ferret, Go Down, Hooks, Karma, Midnight, Pinball, Scrag, Septic, 69, Skunk, Stinkfinger, Sunshine, Tiger, Toad, Undertaker and Zonk.It was a phenomenal box-office success in Australia,yet it was Sandy Harbutt first and only feature film.For the Australian Film Board who put up the money,refused to fund another film by him,they felt it was just another trashy nasty film.Imagine if the Canadian film Board had done the same thing with David Croneberg after Shivers,which they too where upset about,yet it too was a huge hit,so they backed a winner,and turned a blind eye(paper bag in hand)to his excess violence/gore.

Overall you could pick holes in the script the acting even the direction,but he two road scenes,like the chase with it's on board shots,and low-angle shot of the bike's racing through the streets of Sidney.Then the helicopter view of the funeral procession down the main road to Sidney can both rightfully be called a classic Road movie moments,and yes it must have inspired the makers of Mad Max.It was also extremely gory and violent for it's time,and some incredible bike stunts like a Kawasaki Z900 doing a wheelstand,and the motorbike flying off the 100FT cliff .Plus there's some fantastic locations in and around Sydney,and full frontal nudity(male and Female HR),beer, LSD, marijuana,in large amounts which i'm sure where taken by the cast and crew?.So a cult classic Road/Stoner film from the land of OZ,worth the viewing if you really like pure cult fims of the 70's.7/10

Post #: 402
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/4/2012 2:03:24 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Thanks Bill. I'll keep out an eye for Stone which I am shamed to say I've never heard of? I did love this genre of sci-fi actioner so I'll have a wee look about the internet for it.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 403
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 26/6/2012 5:01:12 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Crows Zero 2

Takashi Miike first came to my attention with the romantic gorefest, Audition (1999). Having sat down to watch the film late one Friday night with no prior knowledge to the story other than it was about a widower who gets involved with a woman with some personal problems, I couldnít quite believe how twisted the yarn would turn out to be. The movie shifts the viewer into a false sense of security before dropping them into the depths of hell itself. Never will you look at a roll of chicken wire and feel the same way again.  Like any excited film fan I wanted to know more about Miikeís work and was surprised by how many projects the director had released in such a small period of time. In addition to having a punishing work ethic, Takashi Miike has delved into a wealth of genres (horror, thriller, action, family, comedy etc) and still seems to deliver the goods. With Crows Zero 2, he continues the dramatic and epic drama of two conflicting youth gangs called the Suzuran and Hosen.

Crows Zero 2 opens with a brief retread of the first installment, focussing on the murder of the Hosen (Army of Killers) leader by Suzuran member, Sho Kawanishi (Shinnosuki Abe). Since that time the two gangs have made a pact of peace and the Suzuran ranks have seperated into individual units due to the general disinterest of troubled leader and Yakuza son, Genjii (Shun Ogura). When Genjii protects Sho from the  hands of the avenging Hosen gang on his release from jail, Hosen boss, Taiga Narumi (Nobuaki Kanuaki) announces war on the rival boyís college. The Suzuran leader must unify his gang before the skinheads of Hosen take over. This means recruiting Serizawa (Yamada Takayuki), Tokio (Kiritani Kenta), Mikami brothers (Hisato and Yusuke Izaki), Shoji (Kamiji Yusuke) and Tokaji (Kaname Endou) and finally defeating inhuman nemesis, Rinda-man (Fukami Motoki). With the two gangs at full strength, a final confrontation takes place at the Hosen campus.

You canít help but be drawn into the action and drama that unfolds throughout Crows Zero 2. We are introduced to a whole host of bizarre, psychopathic and narcisstic characters in the space of two hours, in which the final 30 minutes involves one hell of a bloody punch up with superb editing and some memorable pummelling.  The action is split into Genjiiís attempts to gather his army and Shoís ambitions to become a member of the Yakuza. The latter subplot being a lot less interesting than the former. 

The soundtrack is fairly cringeworthy unless you are a fan of Japanese rock music yet it is probably relevant to this type of movie. It is rather irritating when the action is held up for some low quality live act to promote their song.
The acting is as good as this genre of movie requires. The young cast spend a lot of time standing about in crumbling urban areas, looking tough and mumbling, laughable macho lines.  Although the movie is based on a series of Manga cartoons, I couldnít help reminisce to the classic urban actioners like The Warriors and Band of the Hand.
Miike delivers a fast moving and stylish live action cartoon with larger than life characters and uber violent action scenes. The final punch is exciting and really worth waiting for. Order your curry, get your six pack out the fridge, sit back and enjoy.

7/10

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 404
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 26/6/2012 5:02:33 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Cat's Eye (1985)

The rule seems to be that for ever successful Stephen King adaptation to the big screen (The Shawshank Redemption) there has to be countless abominations of nature (Graveyard Shift, Silver Bullet, Sleepwalkers, Dreamcatcher, Maximum Overdrive). Cat's Eye is a fun collection of short horror similar to King's earlier offering, Creepshow.

Introduction -
Cat's Eye begins with a resourceful cat called General being approached for help by a 10 year old girl called Amanda (Drew Barrymore). She pleads that there is something living in her bedroom wall that is threatening her life. General begins the long journey from New York to Wilmington, NC to aid the young girl.  However during his travels he will encounter two evil men, Vinnie Donatti (Alan King) and Cressner (Robert McMillan). 
Quitters, Inc
Alan King plays Vinnie Donatti, the founder of a Quitters, Inc, who offer a revolutionary new method of helping professionals quit their smoking habit. A family man called Dick (James Woods) takes the advice of a work colleague and enlists the help of Donatti's firm. However he realises he may have bitten off more than he can chew when Quitters, Inc turns out to be run by the mafia with unorthodox methods of stopping the urge, including torturing Dick's wife and child for every cigarette smoked. Donatti warns him, 'you'll never see all of us, all of the time'. When the family man inadvertently starts puffing when sat in a traffic jam, he soon realises that the gangster is a man of his word.

The Ledge
Robert Hays plays a ageing professional tennis player who soon regrets an affair with the wife of a crime boss called Cressner (Kenneth McMillan on fine form). The older man frames his wife's lover for drug offences but offers him the opportunity to clear his name, leave with his wife and a stack of cash if he agrees to walk around the outside periphery of the penthouse flat. This proves to be an arduous task with the crazy crime boss, greasy ledges, neon signs and sadistic pigeons standing in his way. 

The General
The final story has the heroic moggie arrive at Amanda's side just in time to thwart an evil troll's attempts to steal the child's breath. However when Amanda's bitchy mother sends General off to the local vets for early retirement, it seems as if the young girl is defenceless against the troll.

Cat's Eye proves to be one of the best of the horror anthologies to be released during the 1980ĀĆs.  Where as Twilight Zone The Movie and Creepshow had one or two turkeys lurking within their running time, this Stephen King adaptation is fairly consistent throughout. Only the final chapter's dated special effects let down an otherwise impressive trio of tales. The Ledge is probably the most thrilling of the segments with one particularly satisfying sequence involving Robert Hays being tormented by the pigeon from hell.  The tale also concludes in a gloriously bad spirited but hilarious situation.
The performances are all solid. Drew Barrymore is great as the child in distress and James Woods is at his twitchy best as the nicotine addict. Fans of Stephen King's work will also appreciate the numerous references to his famous work sprinkled throughout the stories.

7/10

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 26/6/2012 5:03:55 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 405
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 27/6/2012 8:18:22 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Cat's Eye (1985)

The rule seems to be that for ever successful Stephen King adaptation to the big screen (The Shawshank Redemption) there has to be countless abominations of nature (Graveyard Shift, Silver Bullet, Sleepwalkers, Dreamcatcher, Maximum Overdrive). Cat's Eye is a fun collection of short horror similar to King's earlier offering, Creepshow.

The performances are all solid. Drew Barrymore is great as the child in distress and James Woods is at his twitchy best as the nicotine addict. Fans of Stephen King's work will also appreciate the numerous references to his famous work sprinkled throughout the stories.

7/10

Now i wish i had the DVD of this one just to re watch it,but sadly it's one of ye old VHS videos i have yet to replace,so thanks for the reminder.

Post #: 406
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 27/8/2012 1:22:31 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Dead Sushi (2012)

The Beer Movie is the type of film that should be accompanied by a curry, six pack of beer and comfy sofa. A movie that is unlikely to tax your brain or win major acclaim with the critics yet achieve in its underlying goal, to entertain the viewer. The Beer Movieís natural habitat is often in the straight to DVD category with a low-ish budget. The actors are normally C-list and the content comprising of violence, toilet humour and nudity. There are times when you crave the burger over the steak, when you purchase the copy of The Star over The Times, when you fancy the Kardashian over the Middleton etc. We need top class trash like Dead Sushi.  Having already delivered the likes of Machine Girl (2008), Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead (2011) and Sukeban Boy (2006), Noboru Igushiís sticks to his schlock horror winning formula with his new opus. The big question is whether it offers the same amount of entertainment as his previous efforts?

A young sushi chef, Keiko (rising martial arts star -Rina Takeda ) is forced out of her home by the extraordinary demands made on her by her overbearing, sushi master father (Jiji Bu). She finds work at a remote resort hotel that regularly hosts big business, team-building groups. When a major pharmaceutical company arrives for good food, drink and extras from the sexy, young maids, a disgruntled former employee who lives in the area decides to seek vengeance on those who wronged him. He begins to inject the ingredients, including shrimp, cheese etc, with a strange chemical that immediately turns the chopped food into flying, toothsome monsters.
Meanwhile the shy Keiko finds life as a maid very difficult. After being bullied by her fellow staff members, she befriends the kindly groundsman Mr Sawada (Shigeru Matsuzaki). He immediately identifies her qualities as a skilled chef and warns her to look after her hands above all else. When staff members and guests are either infected into rice spewing zombies or lacerated by the rabid sushi ingredients, Keiko and Sawadia team up to inflict their own form of kung-fu and culinary justice against the onslaught. They face all manner of horrors, including an axe wielding, boss monster that has an uncanny resemblance to Colonel Ackbar from Return of the Jedi. Can Keiko defeat the Dead Sushi?

The one thing that Noboru Iguchi cannot be denied is his effort to entertain his audience.  He throws everything, including the kitchen sink, in an attempt to keep the viewer glued to the carnage.  Within 90 minutes we experience zombies, fish monsters, egg monsters that spit acid, half naked dancing girls, kung-fu scenes, latex gore effects, CGI gore effects etc, etc. Although the special effects are extremely ropey at times, some highly skilled, choreographed fight scenes and toilet humour jokes compensate for this.
Rina Takeda is pretty and engaging as the shy heroine who is as skilled at beating up monsters as she is preparing fine cuisine.  Her skills as a martial arts star are displayed to full effect in a superb and hilarious punch up sequence involving some thuggish guests and the hotelís evil, head chef.  Jiji Bu and Shigeru Matsuzaki are both amusing in supporting roles as father figures to Keiko. Anyone else in the cast is there to look good or get chewed.
One surprising element is the time it actually spends explaining the different techniques regards preparing sushi. I was not aware of the magnitude to its production and the director describes it as if itís a work of art. Early scenes with Keiko and her father are carefully filmed could well be from a totally different type of movie.

There are downsides to the production. Budget restrictions do hamper the quality of some of the effects on show. Although the makeup effects are suitably icky and fun, the CGI effects are very poor indeed. A computer generated, sushi battleship is best forgotten and was an unwise inclusion in the climactic brawl. The humour is often very childish. There are also only so many times that someone breaking wind is going to grab a cheap laugh. Yes, this comment has came from someone labelled the Cludge Judge!
Dead Sushi is an inventive and very silly, horror film with enough fresh ingredients and belly laughs to leave its target audience with a dumb smile on their face.
6/10 Beer Movie Rating 5/5

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 407
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 30/8/2012 6:35:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

The Expendables, who comprise Barney Ross, Lee Christmas, Yin Yang, Hale Ceaser, Toll Road, Gunner Jensen and Billy the Kid, the groupís youngest and newest member, are deployed to rescue a Chinese businessman. They carry out their task, though Yin departs from the group. Ross accepts a mission from Mr. Church to retrieve an item from a safe from an airplane that was shot down in Albania. The team, accompanied by tech genius Maggie, retrieve the item from the airplane; their victory is short-lived, when one of their number is captured and executed by Jean Vilain, who intends to retrieve the item. The Expendables swear revenge; Maggie reveals the item on the plane was a computer, containing a blueprint to an abandoned mine which contains plutoniumÖ..

The Expendables was a hoot, a real fun, action romp, though it didnít quite reach the heights it should have done. Maybe it was because it was a little bit too serious for the concept [get as many old action guys together as you can]. Maybe because star Sylvester Stalloneís direction went for the tiresome Ďfast cutting, shakycamĒ style that has infected modern action cinema like a virus [blame Paul Greengrass mostly for this, though he usually did it well] and therefore didnít make the film feel very much like an 80ís throwback very much at all, a supposed throwback to the days when action heroes were ďproperĒ men, not the more sensitive, non-muscular type you mostly get now, a throwback to those great days where [if you are of a certain age], it wasnít just the likes of Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger who were blowing up the box office and who you loved, but folk like Chuck Norris and Michael Dudikoff [remember him?], whose product would adorn the shelves of video stores. MaybeÖ.well, itís hard to totally pinpoint the reason, but the fact that such a film, which Ďtrendyí critics just laughed at, did good box office, was still to me a cause for celebration [Iím trying not to mention two certain words, the first rhyming with ďgotĒ, the second ending with ďrimĒ, here] and the general idea was roll on the second movie, itíll deliver totally.

Well, The Expendables 2 is a slightly better film. Itís not substantially better, but, to be honest, how good could it really be? In some ways itís more of the same, and in some ways it isnít. It has a more jokey tone; you certainly canít accuse this one of being too serious. There is perhaps slightly less action, though certainly not as much less as some say. Far more than film number one, this is a tribute to the 80ís action film, albeit one that feels like far more like one of the many action films to come from the Cannon Group [if you were a devotee of action movies in the 80ís youíll need no further elaboration!], especially when they were under the auspices of Menaham Golan and Yoram Globus, then the bigger budgeted Hollywood kind. I totally had a ball with The Expendables 2, which knows itís ridiculous and Ďgoes with ití. If you expect a truly Ďgreatí action movie you will probably be disappointed; Iím not sure you could make a classic of the genre using the basic concept that these movies have . Of course the majority of critics have already poured scorn on it, but they have rarely liked the purely Ďfuní genres like action and horror have they?

Instead of Stallone, we have Simon West as director here, and though heís hardly a household name, he did direct one of the defining action movies of the 90ís, the totally awesome Con Air. Therefore you would expect The Expendables 2 to be in very firm hands, though West, obviously restricted by the script, doesnít match the earlier film. Still, right from the offset, he shows up the poor filming of many of the first filmís action with stuff that you can actually see. The cutting is fast, in the manner of Michael Bay, but precise; you can tell what is happening, and thereís no epileptic shaking the camera around! This early part of the film is joyously over the top and absurd with its sustained action, replete with the best bike/helicopter gag since Tomorrow Never Dies and the giving us of the knowledge that, whilst abseiling, it is still possible to still hit oneís target when using an automatic weapon with the hand that is free. We even get to see Jet Li in some decent Hong Kong-style fighting, even if itís a little short.

After twenty-odd minutes of explosive mayhem the film slows down and stays that way for a period of time which seems to have disappointed some, but I enjoyed spending time with these guys and I actually wished that some of their scenes, such as one in which they discuss what their last meal would be, were longer. The plot is basic in the extreme and borrows from some unexpected sources like Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom [or maybe not unexpected; itís a great 80ís action movie , isnít it?], and itís patently obvious that elements of the script were changed a great deal. For example, Jet Li was contracted to appear in this sequel, but, not being too fond of the first film, asked to be written out. Therefore he disappears a quarter of the way through but is somewhat replaced by a female character called Maggie, who fulfils the ďtoken AsianĒ role and seems to be on the verge of adding some pointless romantic relief [of course the guy is twice her age] but it isnít developed. Not that Iím complaining about the inclusion of the lovely Nan Yu though!

Thereís much wondering about and emphasis on bursts of action which contain crowd-pleasing laughs, rather than sustained excitement, but when you have Chuck Norris [who certainly doesnít seem 72] turn up to randomly blast away some villains and a tank and tell a Chuck Norris joke [you know the ones], itís hard to complain. The action returns with a vengeance around two thirds of the way through, and youíll be pleased to know Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis take part this time. The sight of those two and Stallone, standing together, blasting away at hundred of baddies, almost made me want to hit the roof in joy. Thereís actually far more blood on display in this film, with good old-fashioned squibs jarring somewhat with the fake-looking CG blood, and we get to see lots of heads and whole bodies being blown apart , but no swearingÖ.Norrisís influence, I guess, and actually I didnít miss it. Thereís less brawling but Jason Statham has one of the coolest fights heís ever had in a church, and he and Stallone have fine duels in the final reels. I doubt the fact that Stallone battles Jean-Claude Van Damme counts as a spoiler, but itís a fantastic fight, brutal yet somewhat graceful, a balletic display of movement which combines the best of both the Eastern and the Western styles of fight choreography, and if youíve ever wondered what the plane fight from Raiders Of The Lost Ark would be like if Spielberg hadnít cut away at a certain moment, you will be partially satisfied in this movie.

There is a wonderful sense of fun in this film, as if everyone is just enjoying themselves. The action legends gleefully mock themselves throughout, with well known one-liners bandied about, though the bit I laughed at most was when Arnie opens a car doorÖand pulls the whole door off in one. Visually Expendables 2 feels somewhat restricted by the blue and grey pallet that West and his cinematographer seem to have decided upon for the film, and some may miss the intensity that the first film had. Not all the acting comes off, and Van Damme appears to have some very excessive make-up. Iíll admit that, on a certain level, this picture is nonsense, but as probably an example of the main target audience, I also loved it. It finishes with comments about the stars belonging in a museum, which some may say is true, but Iíd certainly like to see the exhibits come back to life again., withÖ.Cage, EastwoodÖthe possibilities are endless. Hell yeah!

Rating: 8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 408
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 30/8/2012 6:55:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

There is a wonderful sense of fun in this film, as if everyone is just enjoying themselves. The action legends gleefully mock themselves throughout, with well known one-liners bandied about, though the bit I laughed at most was when Arnie opens a car doorÖand pulls the whole door off in one. Visually Expendables 2 feels somewhat restricted by the blue and grey pallet that West and his cinematographer seem to have decided upon for the film, and some may miss the intensity that the first film had. Not all the acting comes off, and Van Damme appears to have some very excessive make-up. I'll admit that, on a certain level, this picture is nonsense, but as probably an example of the main target audience, I also loved it. It finishes with comments about the stars belonging in a museum, which some may say is true, but I'd certainly like to see the exhibits come back to life again., withÖ.Cage, EastwoodÖthe possibilities are endless. Hell yeah!

Watched it last Friday and yes i missed the intensity that the first film had,i also felt the direction was better,and visualy awesome in the orginal.But i did enjoy this GREAT BEER FILM it willbe added to my growing Blu-Ray collection when it hits the shops,and there just could be a thrid i'm sure.Maybe Segal,Cage and Eastwood could add there mussle to the fun,as i'm sure there's a fanbase for this franchise that can keepthe money rolling in for many years to come.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 30/8/2012 6:57:01 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 409
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 3/9/2012 4:00:08 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

There is a wonderful sense of fun in this film, as if everyone is just enjoying themselves. The action legends gleefully mock themselves throughout, with well known one-liners bandied about, though the bit I laughed at most was when Arnie opens a car doorÖand pulls the whole door off in one. Visually Expendables 2 feels somewhat restricted by the blue and grey pallet that West and his cinematographer seem to have decided upon for the film, and some may miss the intensity that the first film had. Not all the acting comes off, and Van Damme appears to have some very excessive make-up. I'll admit that, on a certain level, this picture is nonsense, but as probably an example of the main target audience, I also loved it. It finishes with comments about the stars belonging in a museum, which some may say is true, but I'd certainly like to see the exhibits come back to life again., withÖ.Cage, EastwoodÖthe possibilities are endless. Hell yeah!

Watched it last Friday and yes i missed the intensity that the first film had,i also felt the direction was better,and visualy awesome in the orginal.But i did enjoy this GREAT BEER FILM it willbe added to my growing Blu-Ray collection when it hits the shops,and there just could be a thrid i'm sure.Maybe Segal,Cage and Eastwood could add there mussle to the fun,as i'm sure there's a fanbase for this franchise that can keepthe money rolling in for many years to come.

Almost made for the Beer Movie tag.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 410
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 5/9/2012 7:24:00 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Almost!!,com on it's perfect Beer Movie gold,like all trhose 80's action films we loved so much.Notting like a six pack,a few mates around an ye old rental VHS of some Van Damme or Kung Fu film from Hong Kong to get a weekend off to a good start.

Post #: 411
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 12/11/2012 1:53:51 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

Almost!!,com on it's perfect Beer Movie gold,like all trhose 80's action films we loved so much.Notting like a six pack,a few mates around an ye old rental VHS of some Van Damme or Kung Fu film from Hong Kong to get a weekend off to a good start.

What would be your Beer Movie of the year then. I've got to go with Dredd. Low budget and violent as hell.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 412
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 13/11/2012 8:11:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

What would be your Beer Movie of the year then. I've got to go with Dredd. Low budget and violent as hell.

Well i'm with you,and here's what i thought of this BEER GOLD film.
DREDD (2012)

In the not to distant future America is an irradiated waste land,the only city still with life is Mega City One,a vast violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge - a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

To be honest part of me was Dredding this,but i'm a huge fan of 2000AD,and of all the different story's,Judge Dredd was my favorite,so this was a must see.Now the bad news first,it's low budget shows at times and so makes the Stallone version look less of a turkey.The script could have been so much better,as there are plenty of great storylines that could have been used from the comic.And the 3D was good but noting you haven't seen before,so that's it in a nutshell,for i for one loved it,as i'll now tell you why,for i left the cinema on a high.

This is the dark version we fan's have been waiting for,a violent,super gory bloodbath,with a faithful execution of the character.It also looks far more like the Mega City of the comic,with great use made of  the industrial backdrops of Cape Town South Africa,which acts as the hell city of the comic.I can't think of a better way to re-introduce this character to cinema audiences,with it's mix of District 9 but with the graphic violence put up to max.Also throw in druggies who are more like a bunch of zombies from 28 Days Later or the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.Dredd himself aka actor Karl Urban is awesome,just what i wanted,less talk more action,and the helmet stays firmly on,with a good splash of dark humor.

Director Pete Travis tackled the problem of filming on a small budget,by going down the Dark Knight route,by making something that looks nothing like a comic book and more like a film shot on location,a documentary on the life of a crime fighter.Plus by going for the 18 rating,he was not restricted in giving us a full on adult/comic violent action sci/fi fantasy,which could have ended up like Stallone's overweight take on Dredd.This never tries to be a kid's movie,it brings back memories of MAD MAX, and Mad Max 2 (ROAD WARRIOR)which where made on low budgets,but delivered pure entertainment.Another bonus is the wonderful supporting actors,they look like they just came off the street,scarred, nasty, sweaty and mean. Lena Headey nearly steals the show as the ruthless gang lord Ma Ma, calmly enjoying the gory deaths of her enemies,on her narcotic thrill ride of addiction,a pumped up version of Tina in Mad Max 3 Thunderdome if you like.

But in the end it's Dredd,he is the Law with no sense of humor,this Law Enforcer who cannot be bribed,or corrupted played in a cult ironic way by Karl Urban,who must be a huge fan himself.His performance is what makes this movie so much fun,and bloody wonderful,and for it's 95 minutes of great bloody action,he stands out as not the actor but as Dredd.Yes it's not prefect,and could do with a bigger budget,but for balls out Judge Dredd back on the big screen,well you leave wanting more.You feel the rush that only films like Mad Max and Dirty Harry where able to deliver,both aimed at us older Cinema fans,so get the Blu-Ray in 3D or not it's awesome, and enjoy the feast of 18 Cert comic fun,so Hollywood takes notice.Here's hoping for a part 2,3 etc etc.8/10 or as this is the best Beer film of the year PURE GOLD BEER MOVIE.

Post #: 413
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 22/11/2012 3:00:29 PM   
Judge

quote:

The Raid for me David, took a copy to my parents for a bit of a family reunion. Kicking off at about 1am, beers in hand, me, my dad, my brother all loved it.

Great work all round in this thread by the way from the regular posters!

Post #: 414
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 25/11/2012 11:24:37 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the script,and i know HCF keeps you busy too,i do vist just can't log on.
STONE (1974)

Members of the Grave Diggers Motorcycle Club are being knocked off one by one, and someone needs to find out why.Sydney detective Stone (Ken Shorter) is sent to investigate. Led by the Undertaker (Sandy Harbutt), a Vietnam war veteran, the GraveDiggers allow Stone to pose as a gang member.Amid violent confrontations with the Black Hawks, a rival gang the GraveDiggers hold responsible, Stone uncovers a political conspiracy behind the killings. When the truth is revealed, Stone must choose between his job and his loyalty to the Grave Diggers.

Writer/director/producer and actor (in this)Sandy Harbutts awesome Australian cult film about a bunch of biker†outlaws riding Kawasaki 900s back in the crazy 70's.It was advertised back in the 80's VHS rental,as "before Mad Max There was Stone".Well forget that it's not a sci/fi film,the only link is the fact there's lot's of motorbikes and a cop involved,but this is more about a pretty realistic look at the 1970s Aussie outlaw biker scene.Forget the acting too it's at best well about †average,though a few members of the supporting cast went on to bigger and better things,e.g Helen Morse,Picnic At Hanging Rock etc. Bill Hunter,Muriels Wedding etc, but most of the major players were biker pals of Harbutt and have disappeared from the Australian acting industry. Ken Shorter(Stone) the lead,after a turn in Disney's Dragonslayer went into TV shows,and vanished.

Stone was a labour of love for adman turned actor Sandy Harbutt,who had a few minor parts before decideing to direct/produce and write his own film.A real†biker enthusiast who took four years to get the script written by he and his pal Michael Robinson who plays Pinball in the movie.Filmed on a shoestring budget,during October and November 1973,it took only five weeks to film,yet it has some great stand out moments like the motorbike chase through Sidney with on board cameras done for real at high speed.Mad Max copyed this for it's awesome stunts,all done at high speed also,with cameras on board for added madness.There's also four hundred real bikers who participated as extras in the famous highway funeral procession sequence seen at the beginning of this film,it's bloody awesome.As i've already mentioned they used real bikers who had colorful names like Bad Max, Blue, Boots, Buzzard, Captain Midnight, Dr Death, Euridyce, Ferret, Go Down, Hooks, Karma, Midnight, Pinball, Scrag, Septic, 69, Skunk, Stinkfinger, Sunshine, Tiger, Toad, Undertaker and Zonk.It was a phenomenal box-office success in Australia,yet it was Sandy Harbutt first and only feature film.For the Australian Film Board who put up the money,refused to fund another film by him,they felt it was just another trashy nasty†film.Imagine if the Canadian film Board had done the same thing with David Croneberg after Shivers,which they too where upset about,yet it too was a huge hit,so they backed a winner,and turned a blind eye(paper bag in hand)to his excess violence/gore.

Overall you could pick holes in the script the acting even the direction,but he two road scenes,like the chase with it's on board shots,and low-angle shot of the bike's racing through the streets of Sidney.Then the helicopter view of the funeral procession down the†main road to†Sidney†can both rightfully be called a classic Road movie moments,and yes it must have inspired the makers of Mad Max.It was also extremely gory and violent for it's time,and some incredible bike stunts like a Kawasaki Z900 doing a wheelstand,and the motorbike flying off the 100FT cliff .Plus there's some fantastic locations in and around Sydney,and full frontal nudity(male and Female HR),beer, LSD, marijuana,in large amounts which i'm sure where taken by the cast and crew?.So a cult classic Road/Stoner film from the land of OZ,worth the†viewing if you really like pure cult fims of the 70's.7/10

Oh man, STONE is a classic!

Anf if you fancy another over-violent, batshit-crazy Aussie exploitation classic, can I recommend TURKEY SHOOT?

I'd upload some cover art if I could figure out how to....

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 415
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 26/11/2012 6:33:14 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

STONE (1974)

Writer/director/producer and actor (in this)Sandy Harbutts awesome Australian cult film about a bunch of biker outlaws riding Kawasaki 900s back in the crazy 70's.It was advertised back in the 80's VHS rental,as "before Mad Max There was Stone".Well forget that it's not a sci/fi film,the only link is the fact there's lot's of motorbikes and a cop involved,but this is more about a pretty realistic look at the 1970s Aussie outlaw biker scene.Forget the acting too it's at best well about  average,though a few members of the supporting cast went on to bigger and better things,e.g Helen Morse,Picnic At Hanging Rock etc. Bill Hunter,Muriels Wedding etc, but most of the major players were biker pals of Harbutt and have disappeared from the Australian acting industry. Ken Shorter(Stone) the lead,after a turn in Disney's Dragonslayer went into TV shows,and vanished.

Stone was a labour of love for adman turned actor Sandy Harbutt,who had a few minor parts before decideing to direct/produce and write his own film.A real biker enthusiast who took four years to get the script written by he and his pal Michael Robinson who plays Pinball in the movie.Filmed on a shoestring budget,during October and November 1973,it took only five weeks to film,yet it has some great stand out moments like the motorbike chase through Sidney with on board cameras done for real at high speed.Mad Max copyed this for it's awesome stunts,all done at high speed also,with cameras on board for added madness.There's also four hundred real bikers who participated as extras in the famous highway funeral procession sequence seen at the beginning of this film,it's bloody awesome.As i've already mentioned they used real bikers who had colorful names like Bad Max, Blue, Boots, Buzzard, Captain Midnight, Dr Death, Euridyce, Ferret, Go Down, Hooks, Karma, Midnight, Pinball, Scrag, Septic, 69, Skunk, Stinkfinger, Sunshine, Tiger, Toad, Undertaker and Zonk.It was a phenomenal box-office success in Australia,yet it was Sandy Harbutt first and only feature film.For the Australian Film Board who put up the money,refused to fund another film by him,they felt it was just another trashy nasty film.Imagine if the Canadian film Board had done the same thing with David Croneberg after Shivers,which they too where upset about,yet it too was a huge hit,so they backed a winner,and turned a blind eye(paper bag in hand)to his excess violence/gore.

Overall you could pick holes in the script the acting even the direction,but he two road scenes,like the chase with it's on board shots,and low-angle shot of the bike's racing through the streets of Sidney.Then the helicopter view of the funeral procession down the main road to Sidney can both rightfully be called a classic Road movie moments,and yes it must have inspired the makers of Mad Max.It was also extremely gory and violent for it's time,and some incredible bike stunts like a Kawasaki Z900 doing a wheelstand,and the motorbike flying off the 100FT cliff .Plus there's some fantastic locations in and around Sydney,and full frontal nudity(male and Female HR),beer, LSD, marijuana,in large amounts which i'm sure where taken by the cast and crew?.So a cult classic Road/Stoner film from the land of OZ,worth the viewing if you really like pure cult fims of the 70's.7/10

Anf if you fancy another over-violent, batshit-crazy Aussie exploitation classic, can I recommend TURKEY SHOOT?

AWESOME!! another fan of this film,and yes i've seen Turkey Shoot,i'll post a review of it on the Strange/Weird Film Fan Base as soon as i get a chance.The land of OZ has given us some true classic cult films over the years,like Walkabout,Mad Max,Razorback and Wolf Creek,but films like Stone and Turkey Shoot are hard films to track down compatred to those i just mentioned.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 416
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 26/11/2012 8:49:44 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

STONE (1974)

Writer/director/producer and actor (in this)Sandy Harbutts awesome Australian cult film about a bunch of biker†outlaws riding Kawasaki 900s back in the crazy 70's.It was advertised back in the 80's VHS rental,as "before Mad Max There was Stone".Well forget that it's not a sci/fi film,the only link is the fact there's lot's of motorbikes and a cop involved,but this is more about a pretty realistic look at the 1970s Aussie outlaw biker scene.Forget the acting too it's at best well about †average,though a few members of the supporting cast went on to bigger and better things,e.g Helen Morse,Picnic At Hanging Rock etc. Bill Hunter,Muriels Wedding etc, but most of the major players were biker pals of Harbutt and have disappeared from the Australian acting industry. Ken Shorter(Stone) the lead,after a turn in Disney's Dragonslayer went into TV shows,and vanished.

Stone was a labour of love for adman turned actor Sandy Harbutt,who had a few minor parts before decideing to direct/produce and write his own film.A real†biker enthusiast who took four years to get the script written by he and his pal Michael Robinson who plays Pinball in the movie.Filmed on a shoestring budget,during October and November 1973,it took only five weeks to film,yet it has some great stand out moments like the motorbike chase through Sidney with on board cameras done for real at high speed.Mad Max copyed this for it's awesome stunts,all done at high speed also,with cameras on board for added madness.There's also four hundred real bikers who participated as extras in the famous highway funeral procession sequence seen at the beginning of this film,it's bloody awesome.As i've already mentioned they used real bikers who had colorful names like Bad Max, Blue, Boots, Buzzard, Captain Midnight, Dr Death, Euridyce, Ferret, Go Down, Hooks, Karma, Midnight, Pinball, Scrag, Septic, 69, Skunk, Stinkfinger, Sunshine, Tiger, Toad, Undertaker and Zonk.It was a phenomenal box-office success in Australia,yet it was Sandy Harbutt first and only feature film.For the Australian Film Board who put up the money,refused to fund another film by him,they felt it was just another trashy nasty†film.Imagine if the Canadian film Board had done the same thing with David Croneberg after Shivers,which they too where upset about,yet it too was a huge hit,so they backed a winner,and turned a blind eye(paper bag in hand)to his excess violence/gore.

Overall you could pick holes in the script the acting even the direction,but he two road scenes,like the chase with it's on board shots,and low-angle shot of the bike's racing through the streets of Sidney.Then the helicopter view of the funeral procession down the†main road to†Sidney†can both rightfully be called a classic Road movie moments,and yes it must have inspired the makers of Mad Max.It was also extremely gory and violent for it's time,and some incredible bike stunts like a Kawasaki Z900 doing a wheelstand,and the motorbike flying off the 100FT cliff .Plus there's some fantastic locations in and around Sydney,and full frontal nudity(male and Female HR),beer, LSD, marijuana,in large amounts which i'm sure where taken by the cast and crew?.So a cult classic Road/Stoner film from the land of OZ,worth the†viewing if you really like pure cult fims of the 70's.7/10

AWESOME!! another fan of this film,and yes i've seen Turkey Shoot,i'll post a review of it on the Strange/Weird Film Fan Base as soon as i get a chance.The land of OZ has given us some true classic cult films over the years,like Walkabout,Mad Max,Razorback and Wolf Creek,but films like Stone and Turkey Shoot are hard films to track down compatred to those i just mentioned.

Evil Bill, have you seen NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD? It's a brilliant documentary about Aussie exploitation cinema, full of clips of truly mental films, some of which you might have seen, some of which you will be dying to see! You really need to watch it, mate. I found a copy very cheap in FOPP.

The thing I love about TURKEY SHOOT is that I saw it back in the day in what I now know was a heavily-censored cut (but still pretty gruesome), but last year I got hold of a fully-uncut version and... wow! Fucking mental! Why are films not that full-on nowadays!

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 417
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 8/1/2013 10:02:10 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

John Dies at the End

Running Time: 99 mins

Certification: 15

Considering Don Coscarelli has not had a full length movie release since Bubba Ho-Tep in 2002, it is no understatement to declare that the release of his latest opus is something of an event. I can't hide my admiration for Mr Coscarelli as he brought to the big screen the most twisted, surreal, frightening and original horror film of all time in Phantasm (1979). The story focussed on a galactic overlord that visits earth to dig up our dead, shrink and reanimate their bodies and send them to other ancient dimensions to work as slaves. In his latest opus called John Dies at the End he delivers another gloriously depraved sci-fi horror with a welcome return of latex gore makeup blended in with the CGI effects. Coscarelli thrives on creating a huge premise with the flimsiest of budgets and his latest project is no exception.

Dave Wong (Chase Williamson) and his titular sidekick, John (Rob Mayas) become reluctant protectors of mankind after ingesting a mind bending and deadly drug called Soy Sauce at a rock concert. The side effects include headaches, amplified senses and the ability to see and be attacked by ghostly/ demonic apparitions while jumping back and forth through time and dimensions. Dave and John store a vast array of monster slaying tools for the many manifestations that come knocking or bursting down their door. These include a propane fuelled flamethrower, sawn off shotgun, axes and best of all, a baseball bat covered in nails with strips of the old testament stuck to it.

When Dave discovers that mankind is under threat from a 'locust-like' parasite linked to a demon called Korrok, both he, John, his one handed girlfriend, her pet dog called Molly and a celebrity 'kick-ass' psychic (Clancy Brown) join forces to destroy this evil mastermind.

Reviewing John Dies at the End after one sitting is perhaps an impossible task. There are about a dozen plots and subplots being thrown at you within the first 15 minutes. Coscarelli attempts to tie all these plot threads together as Dave uncovers his story to a local reporter called Arnie played by the wonderful, Paul Giamatti. However this only succeeds in confusing matters even further.

Newcomers Chase Williamson and Rob Mayes are likeable and funny as the two slacker heroes. Their chemistry and timing is spot on as they step up against all manner of creatures, including zombies, shape changing ghouls, ghosts, parasitic demons, topless cult members and a large door 'knob'. There are also welcome cameos from Angus Scrimm as an extremely sinister priest and Glynn Turman as a shotgun-wielding detective.

Although confusing, part of the movie's charm is that there is no attempt at pacing or logical direction. John Dies at the End is a series of hilarious ideas and violent set pieces moulded into 99 minutes that fly by. Perhaps a weaker movie than Coscarelli's previous gems, Bubba Ho-Tepp and Phantasm, John Dies at the End remains a ripping yarn with flashes of brilliance and is a dead cert for cult classic status. Don't expect an extended run when this is released in March so catch it before it disappears into another dimension.

Rating 7.5/10 Beer Movie Rating: 5/5 (Beer Movie Gold)

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 418
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 22/1/2013 5:03:02 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

From Beyond (1986)
Directed by: Stuart Gordon
Written by: Dennis Paoli, HP Lovecraft
Starring: Barbara Crampton, Jeffrey Combs, Ken Foree, Ted Sorel

Running Time: 86 mins

Certification: 18

The 1980's were a dream for fans of gory and gooey horror films with makeup effects, rather than CGI, being used to thrill the audience. Directors such as Sam Raimi, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg and George Romero all contributed genre classics throughout this decade.

Following up on the success of the hugely enjoyable Reanimator and with a significantly larger budget, Stuart Gordon revisits HP Lovecraft's work with From Beyond. It features all the winning ingredients of Reanimator including mad scientists, unholy creatures, gore, laughs and damsels in undress°≠.. I mean distress.

The story begins with two scientists attempting to stimulate the pineal gland with a mysterious device called The Resonator. Dr Edward Pretorius (Ted Sorel) is the creator of the device that allows those within range to glance into other dimensions. Pretorius is arrogant, narcissistic and eager to push forward with the experiments. His assistant, Crawford Tillinghast (Jeffrey Combs) is more reserved and warns that they should tread more carefully after a close encounter with a flying, slug-like creature.

After complaints of strange noises by neighbours, the police find Tillinghast fleeing the building with an axe in his hand. Pretorius is found decapitated in the laboratory with the blame being placed on his work colleague. Tillinghast is rushed to a mental hospital and is treated by the beautiful, Dr Katherine McMichaels (Barbara Crampton). After listening to his story, a brain scan reveals that the scientist's pineal gland has indeed grown to an abnormal size. McMichaels returns to the laboratory with the scientist and Detective Brownlee (Ken Foree) to inspect the Resonator. When the device is activated, Pretorius appears but is made out of some sort of protoplasmic matter. He informs Bubba, Crawford and Katherine that there is a world that exists that is more pleasurable than our own reality. When he attacks them, Tillinghast manages to shut temorarily turn off the power. Rather than take the scientist's advice, McMichaels returns to the Resonator keen to experience the addictive effects of its power. A deformed Edward returns from beyond, rips off her clothes and attempts to devour her mind. Meanwhile Bubba and Crawford run to the basement to shut off the power for good but are attacked by a huge and rather grumpy, worm monster. Although they succeed in cutting the power supply, Tillinghurst is badly wounded. His pineal gland swells to such a proportion that it pops out of his head like a finger. McMichaels realises that the Resonator must be destroyed before Pretorius finds a way to open the portal for good.

From Beyond is a blast. It is short, hilarious and gruesome fun. There might be very little scares on offer but the story always holds your interest with a plethora of icky, imaginative creatures crawling around. The film rushes through at break-neck speed with almost no time to stop and take breath.

There are also some memorable sequences. For the men, we get to see the lovely Barbara Crampton dressing up in a selection of leather S&M gear and for the ladies, they get to see Ken Foree prance about in his tight, red pants. Ted Sorel also gets to use his expandable fingers to do something very naughty indeed to the naked Crampton. Jeffrey Combs is always a blast and really hams it up in the final quarter when he gets to suck eyeballs and chomp brains.

From Beyond is a welcoming return to the glory days of horror. It is the perfect companion for a night in with a six-pack and dodgy curry

Rating 7.5/10 Beer Movie Rating 5/5

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 22/1/2013 5:04:37 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 419
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/1/2013 12:16:09 PM   
Joserabal

Thanks for the details of The Great Beer Movie............it is a very good movie...:)

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI