Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Great Beer Movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 19/12/2010 8:31:52 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Tron Legacy (2010)

Being a massive fan of the first Tron is a bit like saying that at the age of 36, I still stay with my parents, have a collection of Black Hole action dolls (in their boxes) and go to fighting/fantasy conventions with my character being Baltazaar the Barbarian. I apologise in advance to all that fit these categories but in general, it is not looked in a positive light by the opposite sex and society in general. I did and still do like Tron very much and for one main reason - it dared to try something different. I also loved the overblown sound effects and Wendy Carlos score.
The main problem with the follow up 30 or so years later is that in the trailers we have seen Tron Legacy's biggest strength and that is the visuals. The new Grid world looks utterly mesmerizing.  It is when the sound is added the problems begin. While watching Tron Legacy I felt like a child watching a big present sitting under the Xmas tree. It's wrapped in shiny paper and enticing you to open it and you're counting down the days to opening it. When you do, you find it is one of the rotten tricks by your folks when they wrap a smaller gift under a rainforrest of paper. Legacy offers the same feeling.
Bar the geographical perfection of the grid, a scattering of good performances of supporting roles and one kick ass bike chase, the story suffers from the same mistakes as the original. Namely the movie shoots it's bolt too soon. The arena scene feels rushed and just when your adrenaline is starting to pump, it's taken away from you. The final action scene is a lazy retread of the Millenium Falcon dust off in the original Star Wars with a Matrix type, Neo scene thrown in, with a flavour of the original verion of Blade Runner chucked in. Surprisingly, the sound effects don't cut the mustard either. I was expecting to be blown away in this department in an IMAX arena, but apart from some base trembling numbers by Daft Punk, especially in a pub brawl, there is nothing of any significance.

There are aspects to the project that make things almost worth while. Where the cocksure, Sam Flynn (an uninterested Garrett Hedlund) is irritating, Quorra (Olivia Wilde) has to be the sexiest female charater in a sci-fi for years. She seems to have avoided the stroppy and headstrong herionne with a heart of gold stigma. Quorra is friendly, childlike, mischevious but can also make mincemeat out of the bad guys. Jeff Bridges is reliable as always but is underused in the action sense with the villain CLU variably successful as the main villain role. Michael Sheen, as mega camp night club owner Castor, is good fun but perhaps chews the scenery a little too much with all the bland performances surrounding him.
The bottom line is that this is not as good as the original which in turn was not a perfect film. But as Kevin Flynn comments in the film " I spent all my life searching for perfection and the most important thing was right in front of me". Unfortunately for Flynn, this is not it.
6/5/10

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 331
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 22/12/2010 9:33:21 AM   
david002

I agree. Evil dead 1 was good to watch

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 332
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/12/2010 2:53:37 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Wishing all you fellow lager and spirit worshipers out there all the very best over Xmas and the New Year. I'm on the look out for Xmas favourites The Great Escape, Jason and the Argonauts, Godzilla flicks or Sinbad movies. Enjoy.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 333
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/1/2011 8:28:21 AM   
Dr Lenera

Ha ha funny pics!

A couple I watched last week..

Four American soldiers who comprise an elite combat unit are sent on a mission to recover plates which are being used by Iraqis to manufacture counterfeit currency, and also 1 billion dollars in counterfeit cash.  They do the job,  but upon their return their commanding officer is killed in an explosion, the plates stolen and they are sent to different prisons.  Six months later, the leader, Hannibal Smith, is visited by a CIA spook who tells him he knows who took the plates and wants him and his men to recover them.......

Films based on TV shows have a habit of being rather poor, but The A-Team is far better than you might expect. It's a real balls-to-the-wall action movie, moving at a fast and furious pace and delivering plenty of laughs along the way. Some sequences are really inspired in a cool and crazy way, such as a parachuting tank and a van crashing through a wall behind which people are watching a film in 3D and think the crash is part of the film. The climax though, which basically consists of blowing loads of stuff in and around dockland warehouses, is disappointing, and sadly director Joe Carnahan has chosen to shoot much of the action with that horrible shaky cam/hyper fast editing style that is irritatingly prevailent in modern day action cinema. It rarely occasionally makes things more exciting and usually just gives me sore eyes. This style was admittedly fresh in the Bourne movies and worked somewhat in those films but it's just a nuisance now.  Sadly this slightly off- balances the tone of the film, which for the most part is indeed like the TV series.  Plot is reasonable though Jessica Biel's role was obviously just put in so there could be a major female role. The four main cast members are pretty much spot on, perhaps Rampage Jackson is a little subdued as BA and Sharlto Copley so interesting to watch as Murdoch that he all but dominates the screen, but generally they are very well judged in that they are inspired by the original people but don't slavishly copy them and add their own tweaks.  More importantly they are convincing and have real chemistry as a team.  I think it's obvious that a lot of fun was had making this movie and it really shows through. Despite the annoying action shooting and the odd badly judged element [why do we hardly hear the famous theme?], this should keep fans of the TV series and action fans fairly happy for two hours. 7/10

It is the year 2130 A.D.  An Earth exploratory ship, the USS Palomino, discovers a black hole with a lost ship, the USS Cygnus, just outside its event horizon.  Deciding to solve the mystery of the Cygnus, the crew of the Palomino board it and discover it populated by the slightly crazy Dr. Hans Reinhardt and lots of robots.   Though initially friendly, Reinhardt then holds the crew captive because he wants their assistance in his plan to enter the black hole, while some of his 'robots' are actually the crew  of a previous ship transformed from humans to machines......

I remember when The Black Hole came out around the same time as Star Trek:The Motion Picture and was trounced by it at the box office, but, despite its superior effects,  at the time I found Star Trek a little boring. The Black Hole was far more my cup of tea, with robots, laser guns, a creepy ship with beings half-human and half-robot, a mad scientist and a black hole!   Seen now, even The Black Hole is a little dull around the middle section and the special effects are quite poor even for 1979 standards, with some matting and back projection looking especially poor.  There's also some ridiculous scenes of people without spacesuits floating about in space when their ship is destroyed and a black hole which becomes red when the protagonists are closer to it.  Still, this Disney excursion into science fiction remains good fun, with one of cinema's best designed [and rather scary]robots in the red, Satan-like Maximillion and, despite being essentially a variation on 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, has aspects which are quite interesting.   There's a rather creepy, dark tone to the whole thing, aided by set design which seems to have a touch of Alien, plus at least one gruesome [if not really shown] killing and a great Phantom Of The Opera-style unmasking bit which really freaked me out as a kid.  The final descent into the black hole is quite ambitious in it's almost 2001-like approach [some other aspects of this movie reminded me of Forbidden Planet] and can be interpreted several ways, though it infuriated the younger me.   By no means is this a classic science fiction movie but it has some really good things in it and is graced with an often darkly beautiful score from John Barry. 7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 334
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/1/2011 11:19:05 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Ha ha funny pics!

A couple I watched last week..

Four American soldiers who comprise an elite combat unit are sent on a mission to recover plates which are being used by Iraqis to manufacture counterfeit currency, and also 1 billion dollars in counterfeit cash.  They do the job,  but upon their return their commanding officer is killed in an explosion, the plates stolen and they are sent to different prisons.  Six months later, the leader, Hannibal Smith, is visited by a CIA spook who tells him he knows who took the plates and wants him and his men to recover them.......

Films based on TV shows have a habit of being rather poor, but The A-Team is far better than you might expect. It's a real balls-to-the-wall action movie, moving at a fast and furious pace and delivering plenty of laughs along the way. Some sequences are really inspired in a cool and crazy way, such as a parachuting tank and a van crashing through a wall behind which people are watching a film in 3D and think the crash is part of the film. The climax though, which basically consists of blowing loads of stuff in and around dockland warehouses, is disappointing, and sadly director Joe Carnahan has chosen to shoot much of the action with that horrible shaky cam/hyper fast editing style that is irritatingly prevailent in modern day action cinema. It rarely occasionally makes things more exciting and usually just gives me sore eyes. This style was admittedly fresh in the Bourne movies and worked somewhat in those films but it's just a nuisance now.  Sadly this slightly off- balances the tone of the film, which for the most part is indeed like the TV series.  Plot is reasonable though Jessica Biel's role was obviously just put in so there could be a major female role. The four main cast members are pretty much spot on, perhaps Rampage Jackson is a little subdued as BA and Sharlto Copley so interesting to watch as Murdoch that he all but dominates the screen, but generally they are very well judged in that they are inspired by the original people but don't slavishly copy them and add their own tweaks.  More importantly they are convincing and have real chemistry as a team.  I think it's obvious that a lot of fun was had making this movie and it really shows through. Despite the annoying action shooting and the odd badly judged element [why do we hardly hear the famous theme?], this should keep fans of the TV series and action fans fairly happy for two hours. 7/10

It is the year 2130 A.D.  An Earth exploratory ship, the USS Palomino, discovers a black hole with a lost ship, the USS Cygnus, just outside its event horizon.  Deciding to solve the mystery of the Cygnus, the crew of the Palomino board it and discover it populated by the slightly crazy Dr. Hans Reinhardt and lots of robots.   Though initially friendly, Reinhardt then holds the crew captive because he wants their assistance in his plan to enter the black hole, while some of his 'robots' are actually the crew  of a previous ship transformed from humans to machines......

I remember when The Black Hole came out around the same time as Star Trek:The Motion Picture and was trounced by it at the box office, but, despite its superior effects,  at the time I found Star Trek a little boring. The Black Hole was far more my cup of tea, with robots, laser guns, a creepy ship with beings half-human and half-robot, a mad scientist and a black hole!   Seen now, even The Black Hole is a little dull around the middle section and the special effects are quite poor even for 1979 standards, with some matting and back projection looking especially poor.  There's also some ridiculous scenes of people without spacesuits floating about in space when their ship is destroyed and a black hole which becomes red when the protagonists are closer to it.  Still, this Disney excursion into science fiction remains good fun, with one of cinema's best designed [and rather scary]robots in the red, Satan-like Maximillion and, despite being essentially a variation on 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, has aspects which are quite interesting.   There's a rather creepy, dark tone to the whole thing, aided by set design which seems to have a touch of Alien, plus at least one gruesome [if not really shown] killing and a great Phantom Of The Opera-style unmasking bit which really freaked me out as a kid.  The final descent into the black hole is quite ambitious in it's almost 2001-like approach [some other aspects of this movie reminded me of Forbidden Planet] and can be interpreted several ways, though it infuriated the younger me.   By no means is this a classic science fiction movie but it has some really good things in it and is graced with an often darkly beautiful score from John Barry. 7/10

Happy new year, mate and very professional reviews as always.

Would rather like to get my hands on a copy of the A-Team for some b-movie fun. My nephew was dying to see this during its release but we never sound the time.

The Black Hole brings back memories of my childhood. I think I saw this on one of our annual holidays to the sunny Isle of Man. I remember also enjoying it more than Star Trek - The Motion Picture (wouldn't be difficult) due to the action scenes at the end. Maximillian Schell was good as the baddie with fine supporting cast including Robert Forster, Ernest Borgnine and Anthony Hopkins. That big red bazzdad of a robot was mean as hell and probably the highlight of the project.
The unmasking scene gave me the shitters at the time. It was a little bit similar to the scene in Flash Gordon when Baron accidently rips of the specs of one of those baldy dudes and they all malfunction. The effects are ropey to watch nowadays but I agree that the score was impressive and set designs fairly good.
Apparently the director of Tron Legacy is working on a reboot of this also, hmmmm?.

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 4/1/2011 11:20:07 AM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 335
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 5/1/2011 1:28:51 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

While on the subject of The Black Hole, I thought it might be worthwhile going through a few Top Deck Gold movies from my childhood. The first is : -

Time Bandits (1981)
Terry Gilliam's time travelling yarn is one of the most cruel and bad spirited children's films ever. Although episodic and patchy, there are some fantastic ideas and setpieces. Gilliam seems to thrive at making the very most he can with a modest budget and the scenes involving Napoleon at war and ship that turns out to be a giant's hat pay testament to this. This is not to say Time Bandits is a cheap project. How could it be with a cast including Sean Connery, Ian Holm, Ralph Richardson, John Cleese, Shelley Duvall, David Warner and Jim Broadbent? When I watched Time Bandits as a child I was shocked, saddened and intrigued as to why they would end the tale in such a downbeat and bewildering way. Main character Kevin (Craig Warnock) had gone through so much for godz sake!? Perhaps this is the reason I love this movie so much because Gilliam got away with this. His reasons? Parents should always listen to their children. Unfortunately for Kevin's square eyed parents, they fail to take heed of this advice and suffer the consequences.
Top Deck Movie Gold 7/5/10

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 5/1/2011 3:30:29 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 336
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/1/2011 12:23:33 AM   
Dr Lenera

Happy New Year to you ,and as with The Black Hole, I had similar reactions to you with Time Bandits, loved it as a kid until the ending.  Totally ruined for me at the time.  Now, of course, I LOVE the ending!!  Top Deck Gold Lemonade Shandy, love that idea [though I never drank it], I'll try and come up with a few similar examples in the next few weeks.

Post #: 337
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/1/2011 1:05:32 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

More Top Deck Gold nominees: -

The Water Babies (1978)

I remember watching this as a young un and being shit scared of Billie Whitelaw's friendly witch/ protector and James Mason's villain. On watching it a couple of years ago the animation is rather poor but Billie Whitelaw is still shit scary.

Children's Film and Television Foundation (CFTVF) - School holidays were not school holidays without one of these ultra cheap and laughable childrens' movies appearing on BBC1, normally on weekend mornings. Who could forget classics such as The Zoo Robbery (1973), Breakout (1983) - Featuring Donny the Bull, Pop Pirates (1984) and Haunters of the Deep (1984)... most of you then?
Breakout was my favourite as it had an escaped and slightly unstable convict called Donny the Bull. He goes on the run with a young boy and adventure/ hilarity ensues. Interestingly Donny has a tattoo of a bull on the top of his head which he charges pesky policemen down with when grumpy.

It's Donny the Bull - Heave Donny, Heeeeaaaavveeee!!!!!!

Watcher in the Woods (1980)
Now this scared the livin bejeesuz out of me when I was knee high. It involved a family moving to an old house in the woods and the children encountering some ghosts and ghoulies. This was one of Disney's better productions and it has some scenes of real dread and menace. A fine adult cast including Bette Davis and David McCallum are supported by an efficient bunch of brats including that pain in the arse blond from For Your Eyes Only, Lynn-Holly Johnson that tries to shag ol' Roger.

Yep, too young for ol" Roger to get his leather leg over.

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 6/1/2011 1:15:10 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 338
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/1/2011 9:07:10 PM   
evil bill

BEST BEER MOVIE OF 2010

The Expendables 2010
The Expendables describes a team of what could be considered mercenaries, or bounty hunters. They go on high-risk missions, guns in hand, and pick up the money owed to them at the end of the day. Their main mission in this movie is initially to overthrow a South American dictator in the fictional nation of Vilena. Eventually, they find that the real enemy is ex-CIA agent James Munroe (Eric Roberts) aided by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and a whole army of guerrilla soldiers.

I wish i had of seen this at the flicks,but Santa arived with a Blu-Ray which i base the review on,and it's super HD vision/sound.The Expendables is the the type of movie us 80/90's dreamed about,those drunken late nights where us guy's asked?"hell would'nt be fun if this guy and that guy and him where all in a film together".Never has this film been more needed,in a land of CGI 12 cert wire work action moviesus now adult??real action fans where desperate for some real old school action like Cobra, Commando, Delta Force,Last Boy Scout etc.We don't need depth,we just want DEATH,in full HD bloody high octane fun,and this delivers,and the Blu-Ray is awesome.This is what the A the team should have been,with Stallone and Statham and there good Old Dog,New Dog friendship. Lundgren looks fit and i mean FIT,he gets a an interesting sub plot. Unfortunately Li, Couture and Crews get pushed to the background but they do get some great Action scenes to shine.Roberts and his Henchman Stone Cold Steve Austin shine as the brutal villains. Gary Danials he got one of the best fight scenes in this wounderful film.Of coarse everyone was talking about was the Stallone Schwarzenegger and Willis scene,which as funny as it was was too short.B their attempt to put each other down while out manning each other worked brilliantly and Willis threatening Stallone,just the icing on this cake.
A well scripted movie NO!,a thinking man's movie NO!, but it is still a fun movie that needs to be seen on the big screen,or the big HD Plasma with a few friends and beers will do.This is a full on testosterone fun ride,in which the beautiful female lead is no more than the added sex appeal.Though Giselle Itie was hardly a damsel in distress in fact, in one scene she make's a decision that few, men or woman, would have made amidst all the explosions and gunfire.I now dream of a second movie where just maybe those Action stars of old that turned down this one,will get some Balls and jump on board.7/10

< Message edited by evil bill -- 6/1/2011 9:10:17 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 339
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/1/2011 10:17:52 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

BEST BEER MOVIE OF 2010

The Expendables 2010
The Expendables describes a team of what could be considered mercenaries, or bounty hunters. They go on high-risk missions, guns in hand, and pick up the money owed to them at the end of the day. Their main mission in this movie is initially to overthrow a South American dictator in the fictional nation of Vilena. Eventually, they find that the real enemy is ex-CIA agent James Munroe (Eric Roberts) aided by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and a whole army of guerrilla soldiers.

I wish i had of seen this at the flicks,but Santa arived with a Blu-Ray which i base the review on,and it's super HD vision/sound.The Expendables is the the type of movie us 80/90's dreamed about,those drunken late nights where us guy's asked?"hell would'nt be fun if this guy and that guy and him where all in a film together".Never has this film been more needed,in a land of CGI 12 cert wire work action moviesus now adult??real action fans where desperate for some real old school action like Cobra, Commando, Delta Force,Last Boy Scout etc.We don't need depth,we just want DEATH,in full HD bloody high octane fun,and this delivers,and the Blu-Ray is awesome.This is what the A the team should have been,with Stallone and Statham and there good Old Dog,New Dog friendship. Lundgren looks fit and i mean FIT,he gets a an interesting sub plot. Unfortunately Li, Couture and Crews get pushed to the background but they do get some great Action scenes to shine.Roberts and his Henchman Stone Cold Steve Austin shine as the brutal villains. Gary Danials he got one of the best fight scenes in this wounderful film.Of coarse everyone was talking about was the Stallone Schwarzenegger and Willis scene,which as funny as it was was too short.B their attempt to put each other down while out manning each other worked brilliantly and Willis threatening Stallone,just the icing on this cake.
A well scripted movie NO!,a thinking man's movie NO!, but it is still a fun movie that needs to be seen on the big screen,or the big HD Plasma with a few friends and beers will do.This is a full on testosterone fun ride,in which the beautiful female lead is no more than the added sex appeal.Though Giselle Itie was hardly a damsel in distress in fact, in one scene she make's a decision that few, men or woman, would have made amidst all the explosions and gunfire.I now dream of a second movie where just maybe those Action stars of old that turned down this one,will get some Balls and jump on board.7/10

A testament to 'if it's not broke don't fix it'. The Expandables is a big, noisy stupid film that is 20 years too late, but for old farts like me that is just fine. I love the pointless but hilariously violent scene where Stratham and Stallone make catfood out of a platoon of soldiers on the pier. Not my beer movie of the year, that would be this little gem.

Reason no 1.

Top quality tinnaes

Reason No 2

Did mudda f*ckaaz!!!!

Reason No 3

Best 3D moment in cinema history

Best Lighting

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 340
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 7/1/2011 9:33:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

The Water Babies (1978)

I remember watching this as a young un and being shit scared of Billie Whitelaw's friendly witch/ protector and James Mason's villain. On watching it a couple of years ago the animation is rather poor but Billie Whitelaw is still shit scary.

Children's Film and Television Foundation (CFTVF) - School holidays were not school holidays without one of these ultra cheap and laughable childrens' movies appearing on BBC1, normally on weekend mornings. Who could forget classics such as The Zoo Robbery (1973), Breakout (1983) - Featuring Donny the Bull, Pop Pirates (1984) and Haunters of the Deep (1984)... most of you then?
Breakout was my favourite as it had an escaped and slightly unstable convict called Donny the Bull. He goes on the run with a young boy and adventure/ hilarity ensues. Interestingly Donny has a tattoo of a bull on the top of his head which he charges pesky policemen down with when grumpy.

Now this scared the livin bejeesuz out of me when I was knee high. It involved a family moving to an old house in the woods and the children encountering some ghosts and ghoulies. This was one of Disney's better productions and it has some scenes of real dread and menace. A fine adult cast including Bette Davis and David McCallum are supported by an efficient bunch of brats including that pain in the arse blond from For Your Eyes Only, Lynn-Holly Johnson that tries to shag ol' Roger.

Yeah, the one female James Bond ever turned down!!  Though I reckon Connery's Bond would have gone for it.

Don't remember any of those films, though have heard lots about Watcher In The Woods.  Disney really had an interesting phase in the late 70s/early 80s didn't they, stuff like Tron, Black Hole etc.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 7/1/2011 9:34:52 PM >

Post #: 341
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 8/1/2011 11:33:47 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

The Water Babies (1978)

Yeah, the one female James Bond ever turned down!!  Though I reckon Connery's Bond would have gone for it.

Don't remember any of those films, though have heard lots about Watcher In The Woods.  Disney really had an interesting phase in the late 70s/early 80s didn't they, stuff like Tron, Black Hole etc.

Yeh, they took a few risks in those days but unfortunately the viewing public didn't reward then at the boxoffice. Shame.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 342
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 9/1/2011 12:24:07 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

BEST BEER MOVIE OF 2010

The Expendables 2010

Great review and its testament to the 80's that the best Beer Movies of 2010 were the Expendables, Piranha 3D and the A-Team, all throwbacks or remakes of 80's classics

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 343
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 9/1/2011 10:58:13 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

"Yesh, I would have shagged her nut off!!"

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 344
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 9/1/2011 11:22:12 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Great Beer Movie Soundtracks

Judgement Night (1993) - Competant and entertaining thriller with one of the best beer movie soundtracks of all time. An eclectic mix of rock groups and hip hop acts. The first track is a stunner with Helmet/ House of Pains, Just Another Victim and the Teenage Fanclub/ De La Soul is fantastic also. Other acts include Cyprus Hill, Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Ice T etc. You've got to own this album.

The Crow (1994)
This is a fantastic movie and an outstanding rock soundtrack. It is a mix of grunge, goth and industrial bands. All the tracks seem to compliment each other, apart from 1 or 2.  A must buy.

Lost Highway (1997)
Trent Reznor followed up his amazing Natural Born Killers soundtrack with David Lynch's mystery/ thriller. Mixing industrial rock, effects with jazz numbers, it works an absolute treat.

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 9/1/2011 11:23:45 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 345
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 11/1/2011 12:25:58 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Judgement Night (1993) - Competant and entertaining thriller with one of the best beer movie soundtracks of all time. An eclectic mix of rock groups and hip hop acts. The first track is a stunner with Helmet/ House of Pains, Just Another Victim and the Teenage Fanclub/ De La Soul is fantastic also. Other acts include Cyprus Hill, Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Ice T etc. You've got to own this album.

Now this was indeed a great soundtrack and a fanastic film too. In fact, i only dug this out the collection to watch about two months ago, brilliant fun

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 346
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 11/1/2011 1:14:08 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

Now this was indeed a great soundtrack and a fanastic film too. In fact, i only dug this out the collection to watch about two months ago, brilliant fun

Out of interest, what is you favourite track on the album.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 347
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 11/1/2011 5:50:55 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh mate, now your asking, its been a very long time since hearing the album. I think i really liked the Cypress Hill/Sonic Youth track, and also the House of Pain/Helmet track. Back in my teenage years of listening to rap, Cypress Hill were one of my favourites, along with, funnily enough House of Pain, but i was also a massive fan on Onyx, Ice T and Boo Yaa Tribe all those years ago aswell. Oh, how times have changed  I still have LOADS of rap cds stashed away in the loft. In fact, there might even be Sir Mix-A-Lot's first album in amongst them aswell

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 348
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 12/1/2011 7:55:37 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh mate, now your asking, its been a very long time since hearing the album. I think i really liked the Cypress Hill/Sonic Youth track, and also the House of Pain/Helmet track. Back in my teenage years of listening to rap, Cypress Hill were one of my favourites, along with, funnily enough House of Pain, but i was also a massive fan on Onyx, Ice T and Boo Yaa Tribe all those years ago aswell. Oh, how times have changed  I still have LOADS of rap cds stashed away in the loft. In fact, there might even be Sir Mix-A-Lot's first album in amongst them aswell

'Give my love to Maryjane ...Sugar Come Back... Get me high...Sugar come back..G...' Ahhh, that is a stoner great. I was into hip hop acts like the Goats (Tricks of the Shade), New Kingdom (Paradise Don't Come Cheap) and Wu Tang Clan, although I really enjoyed the aforementioned acts too. De La Soul were great too.
I really enjoyed that Helmet/House of Pain track. I owned the rock bands album, Meantime in the 90's and saw them play at the original Glasgow Cathouse beside the Clyde. My ears were never the same.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 349
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 13/1/2011 5:42:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

God this takes me back!!!  I remember in '93 I had this soundtrack and my mates and I used to go to an 'alternative' club night on Thursdays at a place in Basingstoke and for weeks and weeks they would play pretty much all the tracks from Judgement Night. We loved 'em all except for the De La Soul/Teenage Fanclub track [sorry David!!] and of course that was the only song out of them all that got into the charts. 

Still haven't seen the film.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 13/1/2011 5:44:08 PM >

Post #: 350
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 13/1/2011 9:09:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The Crow (1994)
This is a fantastic movie and an outstanding rock soundtrack. It is a mix of grunge, goth and industrial bands. All the tracks seem to compliment each other, apart from 1 or 2. A must buy.

The Crow (1994)
This is a fantastic movie and an outstanding rock soundtrack. It is a mix of grunge, goth and industrial bands. All the tracks seem to compliment each other, apart from 1 or 2.  A must buy.

Lost Highway (1997)
Trent Reznor followed up his amazing Natural Born Killers soundtrack with David Lynch's mystery/ thriller. Mixing industrial rock, effects with jazz numbers, it works an absolute treat.

I have  these two and NBK bit of a NIN fan big time,there's noting like a great pounding rock track to some dark twisted movie.

Post #: 351
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 13/1/2011 9:21:13 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

God this takes me back!!!  I remember in '93 I had this soundtrack and my mates and I used to go to an 'alternative' club night on Thursdays at a place in Basingstoke and for weeks and weeks they would play pretty much all the tracks from Judgement Night. We loved 'em all except for the De La Soul/Teenage Fanclub track [sorry David!!] and of course that was the only song out of them all that got into the charts. 

Still haven't seen the film.

The soundtrack is better than the movie, mate.

As for the Teenage Fanclub comment, dont worry, that track sticks out like a sore thumb (very commercial) but I have grown to appreciate over the last couple of years. The Helmet track is the standout for me, 'VICTIMIIIIIIIIIZE!!!!!!!'. I also appreciate Mike Patton's howls and pig noises during the Faith No More/ Onyx.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 352
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 13/1/2011 9:27:40 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

I have  these two and NBK bit of a NIN fan big time,there's noting like a great pounding rock track to some dark twisted movie.

Yeh, I am very fond of Trent Reznor's work. I had that twisted Nazi sounding metal stomp, Pilgrimage from album The Fragile pounding out the Golf stereo speakers on the way home from work today. That is one sick track.

Are you a fan of 'Tool' per chance, Bill?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 353
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 14/1/2011 6:56:19 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeh, I am very fond of Trent Reznor's work. I had that twisted Nazi sounding metal stomp, Pilgrimage from album The Fragile pounding out the Golf stereo speakers on the way home from work today. That is one sick track.

Are you a fan of 'Tool' per chance, Bill?

No to be honest as i have not listen to a lot of there output,but Faith No More,i love and seen them live many moons ago.Would love to see NIN live,but i live in hope,was off to see Porcupine Tree in October just before they played two nights in the Royal Albert Hall.They where awesome!!!Notting like some Hard Rock or Prog Rock after watching a good Movie on the Plasma,and of course a few BEERS!!!

Post #: 354
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 15/1/2011 11:14:11 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

The Green Hornet (2011) is one of those flicks that you can't quite put your finger on why you enjoy it so much. For one, there is little or no plot involved. The film sort of ambles along at it's own pace and does enough with a few ingenious effects, ideas and cheap gags to keep the viewer interested. It's like the ultra bright kid that decides to complete his thesis two hours before it's due to be handed in and succeeds in handing in an inspired mess. But I'll take a mess with inspired moments over a Tron Legacy any day.
The story involves Britt Reid (Seth Rogan) taking over his father's (Tom Wilkinson) newapaper empire after his untimely and dubious death. After a drinking session with his late father's mechanic and coffee maker, Kato (John Chow) both parties discover that they have a common goal - to fight crime.
The rest of the movie's running time involves Britt (The Green Hornet) trying to outshine his physically and mentally superior sidekick, Kato. Strangely identity and self image seems to play a big part throughout the project. Britt wants to be seen as the hero but is overshadowed by Kato. Kato wants to be treated as an equal by his ally and constructs all sort of elaborate weapons to win his respect. Even the villain, Chudnofsky (an underused Christoph Waltz) frets over how other people perceive him. and his ability to strike fear into the criminal world.

Although not all the jokes hit home, there are a few belly laughs. My particular favourites being a malfunctioning gift that Kato gives Brett and a slapstick lover's tiff between the couple.
The final third is a blast with enough carnage to have the beer movie crowd satisfied. I had no choice but to watch this in 3D and I really wish they would give this tedious novelty and the cinemagoer's wallet a rest with a technology that is going nowhere fast.
7/10

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 355
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 1/2/2011 5:15:11 PM   
evil bill

BEER MOVIE GOLD

Born in the Highlands of Scotland in 1518, Connor Macleod is immortal. When he is wounded in battle but does not die, he is banished from his village. He meets another like himself, Ramirez, who teaches him swordsmanship and the only way to kill another immortal is to take his head,"It is the way of the immortals". Modern-day New York is the location of The Gathering,where Connor and the few remaining immortals must battle to the last for The Prize : the spiritual ability to know everything.Also he must face his greatest enemy,and  final opponent the bloodthirsty barbarian who has chased him across time to 1985.

Highlander is a thoroughly entertaining action-fantasy picture,and a great second feature film,but it led to a mediocre series that just went downhill,(II is watchable)and ended up a TV series that was just Shit.But this is a review of the first,directed by Russell Mulcahy,who also directed the wonderful RAZORBACK,yes he's an Aussie who also did a lot of the 80's pop videos of Duran Duran etc.This movie was a flop at the box office,yet gained a life of it's on on Video,which led to a second movie getting the green light.To me it failed because it was just so different,the integration of modern songs in a period setting was very experimental at the time, especially for a genre film. The editing style is much more painterly and nonlinear,it jumps all over the place mixing various elements,that make this a film that is really like no other of it's time.The camera angles are very inventive and some of the transitions between the different time frames are jaw-dropping,plus the cinematography in the highlands captures the breath taking scenery beautifully,just awesome.The musical score by Michael Kamen is lush,epic and romantic,yet at the same time allowing for an integration with the songs by Queen that is the crowning achievement of the film the best being the "who wants to live forever?" montage, which is an absolutely heartbreaking scene(yes i shed a tear yet again).
Chrisopher Lambert's Connor Macleod is his best performance in any film he's ever been in,from young innocent Scotsman to a sad,world weary antiques dealer Russell Nash??.Some folk have said his accent,is to odd,well it works as he has traveled the world from his homeland of Scotland through time itself,but his great achivement is that you believe in him.And this is due to the fine cast around him like Sean Connery as Ramirez who radiates charm and nobility in a short appearance,as the elder immortal who shows Lambert the rules of the game.But for me Clancy Brown's performance as The Kurgan a brutal barbarian who kills Ramirez,was one of the great bad guys of cinema,and nearly steals the show,just so much fun.The choreographed sword fights between this lot are fantastic,and never look over the top or unreal,as the lack of money meant very few Visual Effects,which is a good thing as they look very dated now.But it's the acting and story that carry this movie to cult status,and even the minor roles of Heather(Beatie Edney) who again is only on screen for minutes,gets the tears flowing.Then there is laughter,sometimes dark as with The Kurgan,or just fun as with the Cop(Alan North) who can't figure out why headless corpses keep turning up in his city.
The tagline of "There can only be one"is very much true of this film as it stands alone without the need for its inferior sequels The film's intentionally muddled structure is slightly irritating on the first viewing, but with repeated viewings it becomes more clear, even clever/surprising even. Highlander is a good, inventive piece of sci/fi Fantasy hokum,and it's a real shame that those very same people and critics who are always grumbling about the lack of cinematic imagination these days didn't give it some merit when it was first released.This is no masterpiece,but it is one great fun ride of a movie that has it all in the mix,and somehow works,even after all these years it looks and sounds great,just enjoy the fun have a few BEERS and relax.

Post #: 356
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 2/2/2011 7:05:48 PM   
Spaldron

One of the best beer films going!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 357
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/2/2011 12:07:42 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

One of the best beer films going!

A fine debut from Neil Marshall and yes, a great beer movie.

"Sausages!!!!"

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 358
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/2/2011 12:55:46 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm pretty sure evil bill did a good write-up on DOG SOLDIERS and THE DESCENT. Great stuff - I agree that DOG SOLDIERS is a solid 'Beer Movie'. Tons of Fun!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 359
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/2/2011 7:44:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

Had a good beer session with these two Sat night!

One night in the remote Australian outback town of Gamulla, Jake Cullen has his grandson snatched by a giant razorback boar and is accused of murder.  He is barely acquitted and vows revenge on the creature.  Three years later Beth Winters, a Canadian reporter,  travels to Gamulla to shoot a story about the local dog food packing plant, which uses the meat of poached kangaroos in its product.  Understandably the locals are not too happy about this.  When Beth disappears one night, her husband Carl arrives to find out what happened and runs afoul of the psychotic Baker brothers, who maroon him in the desert...........

Razorback is a rather offbeat monster movie making superb use of its Outback settings.  Director Russell Mulcahy, who went onto Highlander and then after a while seemed to fade into obscurity, gives the film a very stylised feel ,aided by cinematographer Dean Semler, who paints some stunning panoramas of the desert which sometimes approach those in Walkabout in quality.  He makes especially good use of smoke, creating a scary world where the creature can appear at any time.  The title monster doesn’t actually appear that much, with the real menaces most of the time being the Baker brothers. Superbly played by David Argue and Chris Haywood, they manage to be horrible and rather funny at the same night.  The story, which changes main protagonists several times, ambles along in a perhaps too laid back manner and when finally seen in close up the razorback is pretty laughable, while the film had most of the blood and gore removed prior to release [apparently it can be seen in the Australian DVD].  Still, there are a few striking sequences, such as a creepy hallucination scene where a huge skeleton bursts out of the ground, and an exciting climax in a slaughterhouse.  Razorback is highly entertaining if you get into its atmosphere, it has that quirky feel present in many Australian films of the period and I loved its complete lack of political correctness, with lots of Aussie stereotypes and a striking number of animals being killed.  7/10

Tango is a slick well dressed LA cop who is a part time stockbroker, while Cash is a scruffy, uncouth LA cop.  Both are rivals and are individually causing trouble for drug dealer Yves Perret, who cooks up a plan to frame the two cops for the murder of an FBI agent.  His plan is to have them killed in prison to avoid risking an all-out war with the LAPD, so he has them sent to a maximum security prison where many of the inmates are working for Perret. Tango and Cash have to set aside their differences and escape to clear their name and get revenge........

Tango and Cash never seems to be mentioned in the top grade of 80s action movies with greats like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, but that’s a shame, because this movie is one entertaining ride from beginning to end, right from the opening scenes.  First Tango stops a bus and two villains crash through the window [in a scene copied from Police Story, though Sylvester Stallone did actually ask Jackie Chan if he could use it], then when other cops turn up and accuse him of being Rambo, he replies “Rambo is a pussy”.  Then we have a chase with Cash into a car park where a Russian guy’s car is wrecked, he complains and says about glasnost, whereupon Cash replies “welcome to America”.  This sets the tone for a very tongue-in-cheek movie, where, despite the fact that the original director Andrey Konchalovsky was replaced half way through, Sly and Kurt Russell seem to be really having fun and have real chemistry together, aided immensely by Randy Feldman’s script which gives them loads of funny dialogue.  The storyline goes all over the place incorporating everything from prison to Russell dressing up as a woman, and there’s much fuss about Cash fancying Tango’s daughter [God Teri Hatcher was hot then!], while unintentional laughs can be derived from Brion James’ English accent.  The action is okay rather than great-a chase with a James Bond-like armoured van isn’t as good as it should be.  Still, when the movie’s this fun, who cares?  They should have made a franchise featuring these guys.  8/10

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI