Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Great Beer Movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 20/9/2010 9:33:38 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

The Gate (1987)
With the release of the similarly themed, Joe Dante's The Hole hitting cinemas this week, I thought it apt to review a 'Lovecraft lite' horror flick called The Gate. The movie was geared for a child audience but was maybe too high on the scare factor so earned itself a 15 rating. Shame really,  if released today it would gain a 12A for sure and probably a higher taking a the box office.
A young Stephen Dorff stars as Glen, who finds a dubious looking void in his garden after a thunder storm. Unfortunately for him, his sister, Al? and Terry (his geeky pal) the hole leads to hell itself and it's not long before the inhabitants decide to visit.
The Gate is filled with chills, thrills and nice ideas. There is very little gore but does have effective stop motion effects, that although dated, are a refreshing change to the CGI that we would see in a remake. The pint sized demons are sinister and creepy, that grunt and squeal like pigs when attacked. We also get a zombie workman and a giant 'daddy' demon in the bizarre finale. I particularly liked one horror gag as the teenagers head into the basement. Glen sees a family picture on the wall with all person's slaughtered. His sister asks him what is wrong and he shrugs, 'oh, nothing'.
Cheesy 80's fun. 6/10 Beer Movie Rating 4/5

Remember seeing that at the cinema, I was excited cos it was the first 15 I could legally see at the pictures.  Cheesy as you say, but a very inventive film which is never dull for a minute.  I think there was a sequel, but as usual with films I liked a lot I didn't bother with it.  You seen it? [silly question really]

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 301
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 21/9/2010 8:05:16 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

The Gate (1987)
With the release of the similarly themed, Joe Dante's The Hole hitting cinemas this week, I thought it apt to review a 'Lovecraft lite' horror flick called The Gate. The movie was geared for a child audience but was maybe too high on the scare factor so earned itself a 15 rating. Shame really,  if released today it would gain a 12A for sure and probably a higher taking a the box office.
A young Stephen Dorff stars as Glen, who finds a dubious looking void in his garden after a thunder storm. Unfortunately for him, his sister, Al? and Terry (his geeky pal) the hole leads to hell itself and it's not long before the inhabitants decide to visit.
The Gate is filled with chills, thrills and nice ideas. There is very little gore but does have effective stop motion effects, that although dated, are a refreshing change to the CGI that we would see in a remake. The pint sized demons are sinister and creepy, that grunt and squeal like pigs when attacked. We also get a zombie workman and a giant 'daddy' demon in the bizarre finale. I particularly liked one horror gag as the teenagers head into the basement. Glen sees a family picture on the wall with all person's slaughtered. His sister asks him what is wrong and he shrugs, 'oh, nothing'.

Remember seeing that at the cinema, I was excited cos it was the first 15 I could legally see at the pictures.  Cheesy as you say, but a very inventive film which is never dull for a minute.  I think there was a sequel, but as usual with films I liked a lot I didn't bother with it.  You seen it? [silly question really]

Sadly I missed the straight to video sequel although if memory serves me well, it was geared to an adult audience with an 18 cert. Louis Tripp returns as Terry but Stephen Dorff is long gone. Although made to a similar $2 million budget as the original, by all accounts the sequel does not reach the heights of the first. The movie sat on the shelves for a good 2-3 years before being released. Never a good sign.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 302
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 21/9/2010 7:02:46 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Gate (1987)

Sadly I missed the straight to video sequel although if memory serves me well, it was geared to an adult audience with an 18 cert. Louis Tripp returns as Terry but Stephen Dorff is long gone. Although made to a similar $2 million budget as the original, by all accounts the sequel does not reach the heights of the first. The movie sat on the shelves for a good 2-3 years before being released. Never a good sign.

Never liked GATE II but the original is a proud member of my DVD collection,have only seen this one on Video.And THE HOLE look's and sounds like a remake though it's not???,and going by first reports looks like Dante is back to form.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 303
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 26/9/2010 10:02:00 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Hardware (1990)    BEER MOVIE GOLD
A war torn, drifter called Moses (Dylan McDermott) buys some metal scrap for his sexy, sculptress girlfriend Jill (Stacey Travis), unbeknown-st  that they have just acquired a M.A.R.K 13 population control droid. Sharing a cramped apartment with a killer and highly unpredictable robot is not the only thing troubling, Jill. She also has a not so friendly, grotesque and hilarious neighbour (a fantastic William Hootkins) spying on her every move and planning his own close encounter with his prey. With fantastic visuals, religious imagery, splatter action set-pieces and outstanding indie/ industrial soundtrack, Hardware is an exceptional sci-fi with a threadbare budget. Based on a 2000AD Future shock's short story, Richard Stanley's debut feature is a stunning visual assault. As PiL state, 'THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT - THIS IS WHAT YOU GET!!!'
7/5/10 Bear Movie Rating 5/5

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 27/9/2010 5:40:22 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 304
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 28/9/2010 7:37:59 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

A Boy and his Dog (1975) 
             Beer Movie Gold
Long before we had Mad Max we had this offbeat entry into the Post Apocalyptic survival genre. Don Johnson plays Vic, a survivor and scavenger that along with his talking dog, Al (but only to him) wanders a desolate landscape looking for food, shelter and women. All three, especially the latter, are hard to come by and inevitably lead to violence and danger. That is until they find Quilla (Susanne Benton), a resident of the population that reside below the surface. This is when things get really weird and wonderful.
A Boy and his Dog is a strange mix. After an all action adventure first half, the flick turns into a very odd half, more Zardox than Mad Max. If you haven't seen this yet then shame on you. It is a beer movie classic with perhaps a few glasses of Absinthe for full effect.
7/5/10 Beer Movie Rating 5/5

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 305
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 6/10/2010 12:47:51 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Society (1989)     Beer Movie Gold
Ever felt that you had nothing in common with your parents and the people around you? Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) is having this problem and there is nothing his upper class family, psychiatrist etc can do to convince him that it is all to do with growing up and finding the right career and social path to take in society. He is also seeing things in the corner of his eyes that just are not right like his sister contorting her body into places that should not be physically possible.  When a close friend dies in dubious circumstances after stressing there are sinister goings on in the close knit, upper class social quarters, Bill undertakes his own investigation into the people he supposedly loves and trusts. What he discovers is something far more repugnant than anything he could ever imagine and the rather painful artform of 'shunting'.
After production duties on Reanimator and From Beyond, Brian Yuzna took directorial duties for this gory, surreal but funny 80's shocker. The first half of the movie being nothing more than a very 80's (big hair and fashion) teen comedy and changing direction very drastically in the Lovecraftian second half.
The acting is functional and the 'old school', icky, gooey effects are fantastic. If a remake was made the last quarter would no doubt be all done in CGI and ruin everything. Please do not remake this Hollywood. A real one off and a true marmite (love it or hate it) experience.

7/10 Beer Movie Rating 5/5

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 6/10/2010 1:17:03 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 306
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 21/10/2010 7:24:05 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

House (1986) Beer Movie Gold
House is a strange mix. It had the potential to be one of the greatest horror series ever with the endless possibilities relating to a house filled with portals to different dimensions. Yet it was the fun first outing that remains the best of the four movies.
The plot revolves around horror writer, Roger Cobb (William Katt) who's career and marriage crumbles while spending years searching for his missing child. After returning to the house where his son disappeared, Roger soon starts to experience terrible nightmares and eerie noises while staying at the spooky residence. He realizes the property poses a psychical threat when all sorts of beasts and apparitions start to visit. However it might be someone or something from his past that could be the main perpetrator.

I loved the whole idea of House the first time I viewed it. The first quarter is actually very creepy, especially during the dream sequences. Then perhaps unwisely, director Steve Miner plays it for laughs. Sometimes the comedy works, including an attack by a giant swordfish or a great set-piece in the tool shed. Others set-pieces don't. A sequence involving his nosy neighbour (George Wendt) and a fishing rod or an awkward babysitting sequence seem strained and out of place with the black humour before.
The story gets back on course for a fast moving, final quarter when Roger starts to piece together the mystery surrounding his son's disappearance and a final confrontation with evil. House is great fun and was shamefully shown up in the inferior sequels.
6/5/10  Beer Movie Rating 5/5

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 21/10/2010 9:16:17 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 307
The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 7:31:23 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Good write-ups on THE GATE, HARDWARE and HOUSE, DG. All are classic 'beer gold'-flicks fer sure. HARDWARE is a particular favourite of mine. Brilliant film. Actually, I need to pick up that R1 special edition of THE GATE soon.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 308
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 10:52:54 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Good write-ups on THE GATE, HARDWARE and HOUSE, DG. All are classic 'beer gold'-flicks fer sure. HARDWARE is a particular favourite of mine. Brilliant film. Actually, I need to pick up that R1 special edition of THE GATE soon.

Hardware is brilliant. I remember all those many years ago at school, me and two mates taking the train from Oban to Glasgow to see Total Recall and it being sold out. We went instead to see Hardware, as one pal was a 2000AD nut and though it was fantastic. The movie was an 18 and we were about 16. I don't think the attendant gave a damn.
Hardware Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3EmKNKmnP0

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 23/10/2010 10:59:13 AM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 309
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 11:40:08 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Hardware is brilliant. I remember all those many years ago at school, me and two mates taking the train from Oban to Glasgow to see Total Recall and it being sold out. We went instead to see Hardware, as one pal was a 2000AD nut and though it was fantastic. The movie was an 18 and we were about 16. I don't think the attendant gave a damn.

Good times eh, DG?

Post #: 310
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 11:44:32 AM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

How to make a guy feel old,and me with a hangover,myself and my mates used to sneak in to see Enter The Dragon and other 18 cert(or as they where then X cert) kung foo movies.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 311
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 11:52:11 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

How to make a guy feel old,and me with a hangover,myself and my mates used to sneak in to see Enter The Dragon and other 18 cert(or as they where then X cert) kung foo movies.

well now bill, THAT IS OLD! LOL. Just kidding matey. wow. watching ENTER THE DRAGON on the big screen back in the day musta been awesome! Now that's a fine film to add to THE GREAT BEER MOVIE list!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 312
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 12:00:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

well now bill, THAT IS OLD! LOL. Just kidding matey. wow. watching ENTER THE DRAGON on the big screen back in the day musta been awesome! Now that's a fine film to add to THE GREAT BEER MOVIE list!

I must dig it out and re watch it and i'll post a review of it along with a few other Bruce Lee Classics.I loved those Kung Foo movie's then and now,that's why i loved Kill Bill so much,and of course the TV shows Kung Foo,Monkey and the excellent Water Margin.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 313
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 8:56:57 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

Your only as old as the woman you feel, mate. Hope that hangover is easing off a bit. I'm having a Tremors weekend with the purchase of the box set for 5.99. Rumour has it that the fifth in the series will be out next year with Ward and Bacon back in the title roles. Naturally old Burt will be there also.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 314
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 9:00:43 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

20/20, Diamond White and Johnny Walker cocktails. The best!!!!

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 315
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 23/10/2010 9:04:19 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

Damn right! I'm a big fan of John Saxon also!

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 316
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2010 10:32:52 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

Man, 20/20, i remember that stuff, and white lightening, used to get bloody hammered at 14 years old on about 3 cans of white lightenining  Cheap as chips too, not like todays whisky's  The other great thing sbout being that age, no hangovers!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 317
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2010 10:34:25 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

Enter the Dragon is a film i can just watch again and again and again, its just perfect in every way. "Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory!"

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 318
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2010 11:44:16 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Tremors (1990) Beer Movie Gold
Tremors is the greatest monster movie of the 1990's as it works on so many levels. Firstly, the monsters are ugly, viscous and straight out of the 1950's sci-fi's. Secondly, the leads, Valentine (Kevin Bacon) and Earl (Fred Ward) are likeable and funny as the small town handymen. Thirdly, the supporting cast, especially Sarah Palin-esque couple, Burt and Heather Gummer (Michael Gross - of Family Ties fame and Reba McIntyre - Country and Western Singer) are eclectic and strong. And fourthly the pace and script are tight and sharp.
The story revolves around the residents of a small Nevada town fighting off and attempting to escape from an outbreak of huge, hungry subterranean creatures that hunt their prey by sound. Some might argue that this is a spin on Jaws with the threat of water being replaced by sand. Anyone standing on sand is going to be dinner. Yet Tremors is fun and always good spirited even after watching someone's mum or daddy getting munched.

With the first half of the story going for setup and scares, the second half reveals the monsters in their full latex glory and the pace never lets up. There are an assortment of great set-pieces, including Burt and Heather setting upon an unfortunate 'Grabber' in their gun basement ('YOU JUST BROKE INTO THE WRONG WRECK-ROOM, YOU BA*ST*RD!!!!'), a pole vault escape and a final confrontation between man and monster.
Tremors is a huge crowd pleaser and always has a trick up it's sleeve to keep things interesting. The sequels work on the same fun principle but are not just a successful due to budget constraints. Part 5 is released in 2011 and rumour has it that it will welcome back Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward. I'm looking forward to it already.
7/5/10 Beer Movie Rating 5/5

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 3/11/2010 11:25:06 AM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 319
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2010 12:45:42 PM   
gazpop

I never saw any of the sequels, choosing not to want to destroy my memories of the original classic. I'm guessing that part of it was due to a lack of chemistry in its leads. If it's true that Bacon and Ward are gonna be back for the new one then that could change everything and I for one can't wait!

What the hell is going on! I mean what the hell is going on!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 320
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 24/10/2010 4:04:15 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

Man, 20/20, i remember that stuff, and white lightening, used to get bloody hammered at 14 years old on about 3 cans of white lightenining  Cheap as chips too, not like todays whisky's  The other great thing sbout being that age, no hangovers!

No Hangovers but i used to throw my ring up,and re spray my bedroom in yellow liquid with carrots of course.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 321
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 28/10/2010 9:21:28 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good times eh, DG?

No Hangovers but i used to throw my ring up,and re spray my bedroom in yellow liquid with carrots of course.

I think I would go along with that but with the addition of actually experiencing hellish hangovers at a young age. Whenever I get that lying on your bed seedy feeling with my head spinning like hell, I think of that Trainspotting Orbital song, "SHOUT, LAGER, LAGER LAGER!!!!!". It makes me queasy just thinking about it. 

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 322
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 17/11/2010 10:38:53 AM   
kalvin

Love this thread. Amazing pictures are here. 

Post #: 323
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 18/11/2010 7:42:23 PM   
evil bill

Well as we all know this is the thread for great beer movies,and this one is pure GOLD,a not to be missed one.

Peter Highman (Robert Downey Jr.) must get to LA in five days to be at the birth of his firstborn. He is about to fly home from Atlanta when he a run in with an aspiring actor, Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis) , on his way to make it big in Hollywood.Peter is tasered by the Air Marshall, and he is put on the "no-fly" list before he gets off the ground after a row with Ethan. With no luggage, money, and ID, Peter has really hit rock bottom. Desperate to get home Peter is forced to accept the offer of Ethan Tremblayto hitch a ride with him cross-country with his dog to Hollywood. For the next several days, Peter is to have the most terrifying and agonizing journey of his life.

The Hangover was a film I didn't know anything about before i saw it on rental DVD,and it was awesome one of the best comedies/road/stoner movies i had seen in many a year.So i went to see in the cinema Due Date and from the opening few seconds of the film i started smiling and laughing.Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifanakis were both top notch,but it's Downey that steals the show for me,playing the expectant father who is wired ridiculously tight,and just blows off big time.Watch as in one great non PC moment he punches a snotty nosed drug dealers kid,then insults a cripple only to get a hiding.Downey and Galifianakis have hilarious chemistry together, going from two people who you would never expect to be in the same room as one another, much less get along, to two actual friends by the end of the film.Galifianakis plays an irreverent goofball named Ethan Tremblay to perfection as one crazy stoner,who just wants to be a success and be loved.There are a couple very sentimental scenes where you wholeheartedly believe in Galifianakis' character, and truly feel for him,but it's Downey's character who if your a parent you will understand more.And don't worry this never get's overly sentimental,in fact how could it when you have very crude language, extensive drug imagery, and graphic masturbation scenes.Yes this is an Adult comedy,and knows it's not aimed at teens as much as say Road Trip,another excellent comedy by Todd Phillips,but that's not to say older teens would not enjoy this great comedy.This well written and directed comedy,has some real dark humor,as it messes with Drug taking,Love,Death, and authority.Some will find it offensive,but if you like dark humor this is laugh out loud at it's best,i was in tears at time's i laughed that hard.I say it's the funniest movie of the year,and those that where at the cinema too roaring with laughter would say the same.8/10

Post #: 324
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/12/2010 6:04:17 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

Well as we all know this is the thread for great beer movies,and this one is pure GOLD,a not to be missed one.

Peter Highman (Robert Downey Jr.) must get to LA in five days to be at the birth of his firstborn. He is about to fly home from Atlanta when he a run in with an aspiring actor, Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis) , on his way to make it big in Hollywood.Peter is tasered by the Air Marshall, and he is put on the "no-fly" list before he gets off the ground after a row with Ethan. With no luggage, money, and ID, Peter has really hit rock bottom. Desperate to get home Peter is forced to accept the offer of Ethan Tremblayto hitch a ride with him cross-country with his dog to Hollywood. For the next several days, Peter is to have the most terrifying and agonizing journey of his life.

The Hangover was a film I didn't know anything about before i saw it on rental DVD,and it was awesome one of the best comedies/road/stoner movies i had seen in many a year.So i went to see in the cinema Due Date and from the opening few seconds of the film i started smiling and laughing.Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifanakis were both top notch,but it's Downey that steals the show for me,playing the expectant father who is wired ridiculously tight,and just blows off big time.Watch as in one great non PC moment he punches a snotty nosed drug dealers kid,then insults a cripple only to get a hiding.Downey and Galifianakis have hilarious chemistry together, going from two people who you would never expect to be in the same room as one another, much less get along, to two actual friends by the end of the film.Galifianakis plays an irreverent goofball named Ethan Tremblay to perfection as one crazy stoner,who just wants to be a success and be loved.There are a couple very sentimental scenes where you wholeheartedly believe in Galifianakis' character, and truly feel for him,but it's Downey's character who if your a parent you will understand more.And don't worry this never get's overly sentimental,in fact how could it when you have very crude language, extensive drug imagery, and graphic masturbation scenes.Yes this is an Adult comedy,and knows it's not aimed at teens as much as say Road Trip,another excellent comedy by Todd Phillips,but that's not to say older teens would not enjoy this great comedy.This well written and directed comedy,has some real dark humor,as it messes with Drug taking,Love,Death, and authority.Some will find it offensive,but if you like dark humor this is laugh out loud at it's best,i was in tears at time's i laughed that hard.I say it's the funniest movie of the year,and those that where at the cinema too roaring with laughter would say the same.8/10

I'll grab this one on DVD. He might be a complete screw up but Robert Downey Jnr is a damn fine comedy actor.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 325
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/12/2010 6:47:22 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Tron (1982) Beer Movie Gold
I must have been the only one of my friends to enjoy both Tron and Flash Gordon in the early eightees. The latter gloriously promoted and mocked the afternoon sci-fi matinee into some form of hilarious, camp romp. The cringeworthy diologue. lavish costume design, ropey effects and heart pumping Queen sountrack worked so incredibly well that I couldn't imagine anyone not loving it. I still think the battle with Prince Baron on the revolving spike board is a fantastic action set-piece. Sci-Fi was on a high with the success of the Star Wars series, Close Encounters... and ET.

Tron didn't base it's platform on a tried and test formula. Yes, it draws from the old chestnut of good v evil, yet it used it's own form of technology (CGI rather than models) and was cruelly ignored by the Oscars for best effects due to 'cheating by using computers!' How crazy does that sound now? People don't like change and Tron's biggest critics argued that it was souless, offtrack and had a lack of story/ viewer involvement. However they could not deny was that it is was a visual feast, sounded fantastic and Wendy Carlos score is beautiful.

The cast is pretty impressive too. Jeff Bridges is engaging and fun as technological whizz, Flynn and David Warner suitably creepy as his business/ grid adversary, Ed Dillinger/ Sarc.  Bruce Boxleitner plays the titular action hero with energy and Cindy Morgan looks rather impressive as the love interest.

Although the effects have understandably dated over the such a long time, the movie still looks unique. It also spawned one of the greatest arcade games of all time (I still want one). Happily the new project, Tron Legacy seems to have built upon the original vision and improved upon it. I rather like how none of the key effects are overused in the movie. The disc and light cycle battle are all carried out briefly in the mid section of the running time and there is no big action setpiece in the finale. Needless to say it was not a box office smash but I would bet my bottom dollar that Tron Legacy changes all that. I just hope it does the original justice.
8/5/10 BMS 5/5

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 326
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 4/12/2010 8:32:13 AM   
Dr Lenera

Another fine review, sure makes me want to see it again, I was one of those who was disappointed with Tron when I first saw it [not at the cinema, sadly], jjust didn't wow me like I expected, but have recorded it off Sky and look forward to giving it another go before the new one comes out.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 327
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 9/12/2010 1:55:28 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

Another fine review, sure makes me want to see it again, I was one of those who was disappointed with Tron when I first saw it [not at the cinema, sadly], jjust didn't wow me like I expected, but have recorded it off Sky and look forward to giving it another go before the new one comes out.

I still can't get a hold of Tron in Bluray and it would seem an ideal time to release it with Legacy arriving next week. There is talk of a summer release so here's hoping.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 328
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 10/12/2010 6:14:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

I still can't get a hold of Tron in Bluray and it would seem an ideal time to release it with Legacy arriving next week. There is talk of a summer release so here's hoping.

Really pissed off the Tron Legacy showing tonight is just a 35 minute promo,so fuck it i'll wait till next week,as for the Blu Ray release of the orginal,it's held back for some re mastering.So come the summer it could be a double 1& 2,now that is worth the wait i think.

Post #: 329
RE: The Great Beer Movie - 10/12/2010 7:06:43 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really pissed off the Tron Legacy showing tonight is just a 35 minute promo,so fuck it i'll wait till next week,as for the Blu Ray release of the orginal,it's held back for some re mastering.So come the summer it could be a double 1& 2,now that is worth the wait i think.

That is a major pisser, mate. I really looking forward to the IMAX showing next Saturday. It is sure to be a full house. I'll definitely buy that Bluray double.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Great Beer Movie Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI