Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

PFA Awards Shortlist

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> PFA Awards Shortlist Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 2:12:18 PM   
Rinc

Player of the Year
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
Cesc Fábregas (Arsenal)
Carlos Tevez (Manchester City)

PFA young player of the year shortlist
Cesc Fábregas (Arsenal)
Joe Hart (on loan at Birmingham City from Manchester City)
James Milner (Aston Villa)

What do you think? I find it a bit strange that a 24 year old can be up for young player, afterall 24 isn't that old! But Rooney's got to be nailed on to win the main award.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]
Post #: 1
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 2:29:47 PM   
DJ Satan

I thought "young"in football meant under 21.

It's getting as bad as the Brits when Best Newcomer awards go to the same people several years running.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 2
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 2:38:42 PM   
Rinc

Actually just checked he's eligible because he was 23 during the time period that the award covers. He still seems so old though, probably because he's been around for so long.

At least this year whoever wins the main award will actually deserve it...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 3
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 2:40:55 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Yeah, Rooney all the way for the Player award.  By that rationale, he should be odds on for the Young Player too, but they'll probably chuck it at Milner. 

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 4
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 3:01:01 PM   
igotnewlegs

Rinc, please edit your first post as you've somehow missed off Dirk Kuyt. d'oh!

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 5
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 3:25:57 PM   
Scott_

Silly rabbit. He's on there...It's just listed under his alter ego, Carlos Tevez. He's like Batman y'see...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 6
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 4:05:38 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

Rinc, please edit your first post as you've somehow missed off Dirk Kuyt. d'oh!

Under an amendment to the FIFA, UEFA and FA charters of 2006 Dirk Kuyt is ineligible from all forms of public votes (including local and general elections, presidential primaries and FHM sexiest man award) because no one else would ever win.

Dirk Kuyt: The People's Heart-throb, The People's Champion

Post #: 7
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 4:19:07 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Silly rabbit. He's on there...It's just listed under his alter ego, Carlos Tevez. He's like Batman y'see...

Carlos Tevez wishes he was Dirk Kuyt. Every footballer on the planet wishes they were Dirk Kuyt.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 8
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 4:24:08 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Carlos Tevez wishes he was Dirk Kuyt. Every being on the planet wishes they were Dirk Kuyt.

Another mistake. Edited it for you.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 9
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 7:15:53 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's got to be Rooney for both surely!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 10
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 7:52:32 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

quote:

quote:

Carlos Tevez wishes he was Dirk Kuyt. Every being in the universe wishes they were Dirk Kuyt.

Post #: 11
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 15/4/2010 7:55:31 PM   
Rinc

Silly me, always making these mistakes.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 12
RE: PFA Awards Shortlist - 16/4/2010 12:21:45 AM   
Goodfella

Rooney shouldn't be able to get both, I think that's a tad unfair. He definitely deserves the senior player of the year award but young player should go to either Milner or Hart.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 13
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 12:31:43 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

PFA Player of the Year:
Wayne Rooney

PFA Young Player of the Year:
James Milner

PFA Team of The Year
(Lifted from Sky Sports)

Joe Hart (Birmingham City)
Joe Hart's loan spell with Birmingham has projected him into World Cup contention. One of his biggest admirers is the man he's been keeping out of the Blues' team, Maik Taylor, who says: "I really do believe he will be England's first choice one day. There is no doubt about that."

Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea)
After a slow but steady start to his Chelsea career, Ivanovic has established himself as an important cog in the works at Stamford Bridge and has virtually made the right-back slot his own. Now he says he wants to reach the 100-appearance mark quicker than he made 50.

Patrice Evra (Manchester United)
When someone of the stature of Denis Irwin says that Patrice Evra is every bit as important to Manchester United as Wayne Rooney then you know we are talking top quality. "Patrice has been our player of the season," commented Irwin. Just about says it all really.

Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal)
Thomas Vermaelen was the Gunners' major summer signing in 2009 and has proved to be an ideal replacement for Kolo Toure, who left for Manchester City. His tackling ability, aerial strength, positional awareness, calm distribution and goal threat have already made him a fans' favourite.

Richard Dunne (Aston Villa)
Richard Dunne has been a rock at the back for Aston Villa this season and, according to Martin O'Neill, became even stronger after the Republic of Ireland's World Cup exit at the hands of France. O'Neill said: "In terms of his application and professionalism, he has been excellent."

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
It has been a difficult season for Fabregas, given the injury problems he has had, but he remains the 'heartbeat' of the Arsenal team and his commitment to the cause was epitomised by his penalty against Barcelona after suffering a fracture to his leg which ended his club season.

James Milner (Aston Villa)
"It is as if he has been there all his career" - the words of Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill speak volumes about the seamless transition of James Milner from wide man to midfield playmaker with more quality strings to his bow than a Stradivarius.

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)
There was perhaps a time when Darren Fletcher was seen as something of a midfield 'workhorse', pounding the beat as back-up for Manchester United's more colourful creators...not any more. The ever-improving Scotland international has developed into a world-class performer in his own right.

Antonio Valencia (Manchester United)
Bought by Sir Alex Ferguson from Wigan for £16million last summer, Valencia had a relatively quiet start to his United career, but he has burst into life since the turn of the year and his expert delivery from wide positions has helped Wayne Rooney become United's 'head boy'.

The fact that the whole football nation held its breath as an injury to United and England's main man threatened to wreck our summer said everything you need to know about one of the most complete forwards this country has produced. Crucial to club and country.

Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
If John Terry and Frank Lampard are the leaders of the group, Didier Drogba is not far behind. The Ivory Coast striker continues to provide the goals and the inspiration for a team that promises so much and he's ready to take the World Cup by storm.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 26/4/2010 12:33:17 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 5:54:43 AM   
Rinc

I reckon that team's about right and Rooney and Milner well deserved those. One thing though is that it shows the lack of good defending this season. Ivanovic as the best right back? He's really just been the best of a bad bunch. Vermaelen has been good but his goals have given him a bigger profile and Dunne has had the odd horror moment.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 15
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 7:20:06 AM   
Felix

quote:

I reckon that team's about right and Rooney and Milner well deserved those. One thing though is that it shows the lack of good defending this season. Ivanovic as the best right back? He's really just been the best of a bad bunch. Vermaelen has been good but his goals have given him a bigger profile and Dunne has had the odd horror moment.

Gary Neville should have got it but he played too many games and reminded everyone he's not that good anymore. Damn it.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 16
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 9:15:40 AM   
MOTH

I would say most players (including Fletcher) are looking a little shamefacedly at that team this morning, wondering at the quite bewildering inclusion of Fletcher at the expense of Lampard.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 17
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 9:18:32 AM   
Felix

Pfft. Lampard doesn't play for the team I support so it therefore shit. Fletcher does, and is therefore amazing.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 18
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 9:37:51 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Pfft. Lampard doesn't play for the team I support so it therefore shit. Fletcher does, and is therefore amazing.

Impeccable logic! You could have a glittering career ahead of you as a pundit on Sky Sports

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 19
RE: PFA Awards Results - 26/4/2010 9:40:24 AM   
borstal

Much better than Garth Crookes but then so is dog shit.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 20
RE: PFA Awards Results - 28/4/2010 4:04:01 PM   
Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I would say most players (including Fletcher) are looking a little shamefacedly at that team this morning, wondering at the quite bewildering inclusion of Fletcher at the expense of Lampard.

That's pretty nauseating - Lampard was anonymous for at least half of the season. He's been in excellent form in recent months, but anyone arguing this is a vintage Lampard that's gone unnoticed would get blown out of the water. He's had a distinctly average season by his standards, but salvaged it with a late flurry of goals. He'd probably be the first to tell you that.

Fletcher on the other hand has been constantly excellent all season and is the key player in United's midfield (Same story as last season). He isn't a glamorous midfielder, it's about time someone like him was given this small recognition because he's been impeccable for us.  

In any case, Chelsea's entire time revolves around relieving Lampard of midfield responsibilities so he can score goals, so on that basis I wouldn't even consider him for that team as his position isn't recognized. He can't function as a central midfielder, which is why he generally has 2-3 midfielders sitting behind him. Like to see central midfielders judged on their capabilities and influence as central midfielder rather than goals/assists. And I'm a big fan of Lampard, he's a fantastic professional. I'd prefer to be saying this about Gerrard.  

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 21
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 11:09:56 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

So this years winners are:

PFA Player of the Year - Gareth Bale

PFA Young Player of the Year - Jack Wilshere

I wouldn't argue with either of those....

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 22
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 11:13:04 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Team of the Year:

Edwin Van der Sar

An inspirational campaign in what looks to be his last in the game. The Dutch legend has shown that, despite being 40, he is as good as anyone in the Premier League. It is the third time he has made the PFA team in the last four years.

Bacary Sagna

A very good season from Arsenal's French international and his excellent defending did enough to persuade his fellow players he was worthy of inclusion for the first time since 2008.

Nemanja Vidic

Great season from the Serb who returns to the PFA team for the fourth time after missing out last year. Given the captain's armband this term he has been the rock at the heart of Sir Alex Ferguson's backline.

Vincent Kompany

One of the unsung heroes in the Premier League this term, but Vincent Kompany has been outstanding for Roberto Mancini and is well worth his place in the centre of defence.

Ashley Cole

Surprisingly Ashley Cole has not been involved in the PFA team since his Arsenal days when he made it in three consecutive seasons from 2003.

Gareth Bale

No surprise that the Tottenham winger makes it into the side after the best season of his career. He made the Championship PFA team in 2007 but he is now included in the Premier League line-up.

Samir Nasri

First-time appearance for the French international who helped lead Arsenal's title challenge, especially in the first half of the season.

Nani

Many have seen 2010/11 as a breakthrough season for the Portuguese winger, who has impressed with both goals and assists for Manchester United. He has never made the PFA selection before.

Jack Wilshere

Another first timer in the side but again there is little shock about Jack Wilshere's inclusion. Great first full season from the midfielder who has also become an England regular.

Carlos Tevez

The Manchester City skipper makes the PFA team for the first time, but he has more than earned his spot with an excellent campaign for the Argentine with 19 league goals.

Dimitar Berbatov

Dimitar Berbatov's excellent league season is rewarded with a place in the PFA side. The Man United star has scored three hat-tricks this term. He returns to the PFA side for the first time since 2007.

(SkySports).

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 23
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 11:17:31 AM   
Epiphany Demon

I think it's bullshit that Bale won; he was incredible against Inter, don't get me wrong. Very good against Wolfsburg or Bremen (can't remember who), against Stoke... but I can't think of anything else. He's been injured half the season as well. You read every single article about him and it mentions the Inter matches, there's no other real highlights. He wasn't even the best player at Tottenham; I would have gone for Modric, Kompany or Vidic to win the award.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 24
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 12:55:22 PM   
pocketrocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

So this years winners are:

PFA Player of the Year - Gareth Bale

PFA Young Player of the Year - Jack Wilshere

I wouldn't argue with either of those....

Really?

Bale has had about 3 decent games this season and been average or injured for the rest.

I think it's more telling that no one has really shone this season, much in the same way that Man Utd will win the title, they've just been less rubbish than everyone else. 2010/11 not a vintage year...

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

Post #: 25
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 1:02:44 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well from the candidates listed I would say that Bale just about deserved it although you're right in there not being any real standout player, I couldn't give my vote to any of those ahead of Bale (unless it was for the simple reason of not voting for a Spurs player)

Charlie Adam
Nemanja Vidic
Carlos Tevez
Samir Nasri
Gareth Bale
Scott Parker

(in reply to pocketrocket)
Post #: 26
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 1:03:42 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I would have said all of the other candidates are more deserving than Bale; he may have produced the best performance, but not the best performances.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 27
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 1:05:32 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Looks like his fellow professionals disagree with you...

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 18/4/2011 1:06:40 PM >

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 28
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 1:10:58 PM   
superdan

It's like the Oscars, the best frequently doesn't win. As Epi D says, Bale hasn't even been the best player at Spurs, never mind in the PL.

Post #: 29
RE: PFA Awards Results - 18/4/2011 3:58:15 PM   
LB Jeffries

Agree with most people above. Bale definately wouldn't have been my choice, either. Like a lot of the players nominated they had good seasons in parts.
For me Scott Parker should have got the award. Outstanding ALL season and West Ham would have been relegated 2 months ago without him.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> PFA Awards Shortlist Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI