Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 22/11/2010 1:18:06 PM   
sharkboy

I thought I'd hold off commenting on this show until I had watched it all.  Now, having viewed the final part last night, I can add my tuppence

While not without its weaknesses, this was a very enjoyable adaptation of Follet's book.  The cast was, with one or two exceptions, great.  The divergence from the book didn't weaken the plot in any way, and the script, while a bit cliché heavy at times, still moved the story along at a nice pace.  High production values paid dividends as it looked great.

Now, those weaknesses I mentioned.  It wasn't without its fat that could be trimmed, both in character arcs and plot lines.  The bad guys in particular relied too heavily on age-old clichés, but thanks to some good casting a lot of this could be forgiven.  Make up was so bad at times it could be distracting - Jack's bright orange skin and Philip's dark hair poking out under his grey wig at the end being two examples - but at least they were pretty accurate in the costume department.

All in all though, this was a very enjoyable bit of television drama, and the closing shot of the cathedral still standing over modern "Kingsbridge" (Ok, Salisbury!) was a very fitting final scene to the show.  Wonder if they'll move to dramatise World Without End now?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 61
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 22/11/2010 8:32:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Salisbury has a spire tho, and the West End is more Wells. [/cathedralpedant]

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 62
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 23/11/2010 10:22:05 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It was Salisbury though, with a bit of 'manipulation'...

I have to admit that, after really enjoying the first 6 episodes, I was disappointed with the finale. It just seemed to fizzle out. Not helped by the fact they guy played Alfred was one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

The make up was stunningly awful too. I love the fact it was set across a period of 30 odd years, yet all Jack did to age was comb his hair and grow a goatee beard. Aliena didnt age at all between 25ish and 55ish

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 63
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 23/11/2010 11:34:56 AM   
spark1

that cameo from follett in finale was a bit 'basil exposition'
still i loved this show-looking forward to sequel.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 64
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 24/11/2010 4:03:03 PM   
Blunderbuss

On balance I enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, but it was definitely saved by the quality of its villains.  Bishop Waleran, the incestuous Hamleighs, sly monk Remigius and King Stephen were all wonderfully evil, mad and/or corrupt creations and on the whole brilliantly acted.  Finding out how each of them got their eventual comeuppance was one of the primary reasons to keep watching.

Apart from that it was a bit of a mixed bag.  There was some great acting (Rufus Sewell's Tom Builder & Matthew Macfadyen's Prior Phillip, iffy accent aside, were non-bad guy highlights), the production design was fab and the plot suitably convoluted and incident (if not always action) packed.  There was however, some pretty ropey acting on display (Sam Clafin as Richard & Liam Garrigan as Alfred, I'm talking about you two), the central love affair between Aliena and Jack never really sparked to life and the pacing across the series was patchy.  The final double episode especially, lacked real drive towards the end and felt a bit underwhelming.

So not bad but not great either....

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 65
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 5/12/2010 9:56:10 PM   
Scorch

Just finished watching the series. Have to say that it was very watchable but totally ridiculous, with some dopey acting and dodgy script. A guilty pleasure I think!

If Hollyoaks were to make a 'dark ages' special they would do something like this.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 66
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 6/12/2010 7:21:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It was Salisbury though, with a bit of 'manipulation'...

I have to admit that, after really enjoying the first 6 episodes, I was disappointed with the finale. It just seemed to fizzle out. Not helped by the fact they guy played Alfred was one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

The make up was stunningly awful too. I love the fact it was set across a period of 30 odd years, yet all Jack did to age was comb his hair and grow a goatee beard. Aliena didnt age at all between 25ish and 55ish

Pretty sure Jack wouldn't be complaining at that...

They waited too long to change actresses for his wee sister too. I worked out that at one point she must have been about 17, and still looked 11...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 67
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 18/11/2011 3:11:38 PM   
Timon

Can someone please tell me why you can't get this on Blu Ray in the UK

(Or the complete series of The Tudors for that matter....)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 68
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 19/11/2011 9:22:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

If it helps, the US Blu is confirmed region free... Region Free Movies

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 69
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 1/3/2012 11:58:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

World Without End has been picked up by Channel 4

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 70
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 30/3/2012 11:25:58 AM   
Timon

Some interesting titbits for World Without End:

World Without End is set 150 years after Pillars of the Earth and chronicles the experiences of the fictional English town of Kingsbridge during the start of the Hundred Years' War and the outbreak of the Black Death. The cast is led by Cynthia Nixon, Miranda Richardson, Ben Chaplin, Peter Firth, Charlotte Riley, and Tom Weston-Jones.

Set in England during the 1300s, the series chronicles the lives of ordinary citizens as the King leads the nation into the Hundred Years' War with France, all while Europe is bracing for the Black Death. Caris (Charlotte Riley), a visionary woman, and her lover Merthin (Tom Weston-Jones) build a community that stands up to the Crown and the church.

Here's the key cast - http://www.world-without-end.tv/key-cast

http://www.world-without-end.tv/pictures/production-images-%E2%80%93-first-impressions-set#/0

Some video diaries if interested - http://www.world-without-end.tv/gallery

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 71
RE: The Pillars of the Earth / World Without End - 6/9/2012 10:35:43 AM   
Timon

So the first episode for World Without End is available. Thoughts?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 72
RE: The Pillars of the Earth / World Without End - 6/9/2012 7:19:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm waiting for Channel 4 I think....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 73
RE: The Pillars of the Earth / World Without End - 6/9/2012 7:23:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Oh sweet, when does this start properly? I was meaning to rewatch PotE, and this seems a good time.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 74
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 12/9/2012 2:51:45 PM   
spark1

more4 reruns 'pillars' from this saturday.
is it a run up to c4 showing 'world' in oct?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 75
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 12/1/2013 12:34:26 PM   
spark1

time to get medieval again.

and ken follet has a show 8pm on more4 tonite.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 76
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 13/1/2013 9:13:25 PM   
Mister Coe

So, recorded 'World Without End' last night, loved 'Pillars...' but I've been reading bad reports about this new show. I've got so much stuff that I'm trying to get around to watching, has anyone seen this?

I'm working such ridiculous hours right now that I can't afford to waste time on something that might turn out to be a big bag of crap.

Is it as bad as reports are saying?

Say what now?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 77
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 14/1/2013 12:26:51 AM   
gtrekker

Well I 'acquired' the first episode when it started, and I found it to have similar themes as that of Pillar's opening episode. Although chances are if you liked the first one you might like this worth a look I guess.

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

my youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/thegtrekker?feature=mhee

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 78
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 14/1/2013 10:30:31 AM   
spark1

it hit the ground running for a opening ep. brilliant.

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 79
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 14/1/2013 12:34:40 PM   
Timon

Well, I saw the whole thing a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. In fact, give it a few years and I reckon Oliver Jackson-Cohen, the villainous Ralph, could be a Bond contender.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 80
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 14/1/2013 1:00:23 PM   
spark1

and the follet more4 doc gives you history on key plot point in 'world'.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 81
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 21/1/2013 4:20:02 PM   
blackduck

Just watched the first episode, very good but all the plot points and character arcs seem awfully similar to Pillars of the Earth

I am but an egg.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 82
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 21/1/2013 4:31:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

IMO it was pretty awful, with a plot that could have been scribbled on the back of a cigarette packet after closing time. But I didn't really get on with Pillars either, so I'm probably not the opinion to listen to.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 83
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 24/1/2013 1:39:12 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Just watched the first episode, very good but all the plot points and character arcs seem awfully similar to Pillars of the Earth

that makes for a good drinking game during 'world...' viewing.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 84
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI