Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 6/9/2010 12:42:40 PM   
blackduck

saw the last episode last night, shame it was such a short series, was really starting to get into it and it's over. They did a good job of cramming everything into the few episodes they had but it did feel a bit rushed at times, especally near the end. Still, always a good sign when a show leaves you wanting more.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 31
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 19/9/2010 3:44:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

Finally managed to watch all of this in one go. Really enjoyed it. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 32
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 19/9/2010 6:03:52 PM   
Timon

In one go? Impressive. I'm sure, like me, you are now also in love with Hayley Atwell and as such, your interest in Captain America has risen!

Also liked Eddie Redmayne in it. He seems to crop up in every recent period film - The Other Boleyn Girl, The Golden Age, Black Death etc.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 33
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 19/9/2010 7:27:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

I do wonder if Ridley Scott has now got that era out of his system. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 34
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 22/9/2010 4:47:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Not quite as impressively as Girvy, but I just watched it all in a few days, on the back of his recommendation. It's just amazing. It manages to get across how corrupting the power of the church can be, but without resorting to it being  the only thing that we bring away from it. Prior Philip is a great character. And as for any scene involving the cathedral - needless to say they were hugely affecting for me.

A first-class mini-series, and one I will watch again when I buy it on DVD.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 35
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 22/9/2010 5:16:02 PM   
Jeffrey

DVD/Blu-ray is released in the US on 25th November:

• The Making of Pillars of the Earth
  • Visual Effects Progression
  • Main Titles Progression
http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/73106/the-pillars-of-the-earth-r1us-bd-in-november.html

< Message edited by Jeffrey -- 22/9/2010 5:19:55 PM >

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 36
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 22/9/2010 5:49:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Kind of annoying that they show the cathedral on the cover - I mean, sure it's gonna be built, and it's not quite as bad as the Planet of the Apes DVD cover, but still!

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 37
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 7/10/2010 1:21:10 AM   
mafyou

The Pillars of the Earth starts on Saturday 16th October.

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 38
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 7/10/2010 6:08:02 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's on Channel 4 as well...I just spent the last day getting it from my American Auntie as well

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 39
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 7/10/2010 7:20:09 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

The Pillars of the Earth starts on Saturday 16th October.

Was just trying to find a link to this to stick on my Facebook, but can't find one anywhere - even Channel 4's website has that date blank for their main channel at the moment. Where did you find out the start date?

Edit: Never mind, just tried going direct to the Radio Times website and found it. Google fail.

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 7/10/2010 7:23:03 AM >

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 40
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 7/10/2010 11:24:49 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

THIS confirms what Timon said about Channel 4 having the rights to this. It also says it should air in the UK sometime later this year. Is this going to be their Christmas programming?

Sounds like perfect Christmas programming

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 41
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 7/10/2010 1:26:21 PM   
Peppermint

It starts on October the 16th, so there goes the idea of it being on at Christmas

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 42
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 11/10/2010 9:28:18 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm two episodes in and I'm loving the over-dramaticness of the whole thing. So far I'm really enjoying it. There are quite a few plot threads but they seem quite simple to keep up with so far. I do have to say the character develpment has been top notch in the first two episodes.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 43
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 10:26:31 AM   
Rebenectomy

Seen the first episode on Channel 4 last night, so haven't read through the rest of the thread properly in case of spoilers. Really enjoyed it and an amazing cast. I did this particular period for my history A level, so it's familiar to me, but still really looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 44
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 11:09:41 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I watched episodes three to six last night and think it's been amazing so far. I've really really enjoyed it and can't wait to see what will happen in the final two. The cathedral building scenes have been epic.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 45
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 11:25:01 AM   
Timon

Why you should watch Pillars of the Earth (and it's not because Hayley Atwell gets naked)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 46
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 11:35:20 AM   
Castor Troy

I lasted about 10 minutes of the opening episode last night before the directing/editing/acting and worst of all the score put me off :(

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 12:03:06 PM   
Rinc

I'm watching the third episode at the moment and I love it. Nothing like some good historical political backstabbing and plotting.

Starz should do a series on the Medicis. There's enough drama, blood and famous names to fill ten series with them.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 48
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 8:07:02 PM   
MartinBlank76

I missed the opening episode last night. Is it being repeated anywhere?

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 49
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 8:08:21 PM   
Timon

It'll be on 4oD shortly, I imagine;

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-pillars-of-the-earth

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 50
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 17/10/2010 8:13:57 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I lasted about 10 minutes of the opening episode last night before the directing/editing/acting and worst of all the score put me off :(

Yep, I braved 45 minutes of it last night and had to turn it over.  It was one of the most truly oafish productions I've seen in a long while.  Some risible acting deserved some risible hairpieces by the looks of it.  The script was a dunderheaded plod through the exposition.   The characters seemed devoid of any inflection that made them distinct or believable creations.  Variances were hammered home by cartoon villains with excessive eye-brow acting.  You could dress the cast in burqas, and without them saying a word, identify the villains.  He's a villain, she's a villain, he is, she isn't, he definitely fucking is. And so on and so forth.  McShane has the best character in the book and looked bloody bored.  MacFadyen is a good actor, but his Nerys Hughes impression pissed me off too.

Pish.  And expensive pish at that.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 51
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 18/10/2010 1:11:40 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Polished off the final two episodes last night. Absolutely superb. I've really enjoyed watching this and feel a little sense of sadness now it's all over. Yes it was overly dramatic but that was part of what made it so good! If someone has only given it 10-45minutes then I don't think they've given it long enough.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 52
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 18/10/2010 1:16:34 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

If someone has only given it 10-45minutes then I don't think they've given it long enough.

This someone read the entire tome at the start of the year. It took a month and that wasn't much cop either.  I wasn't going to apply any more time to it to be honest.  I found almost every scene excruciating.  Aside from getting older, did any of the characters change from how they were represented in their first scene?  Really?

Post #: 53
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 18/10/2010 1:37:23 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I watched this in two sittings. Which I think for me is the best way with these things as I tend to get bored if I leave them.

It was alright. Its not Shakespeare, but it was okay. Prior Paul's wandering Welsh accent was fun and Lovejoy had fun in it. Its also amazing to see a cathedral built quicker than it would take them to put up a new Lidl store now

Post #: 54
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 18/10/2010 3:29:55 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

If someone has only given it 10-45minutes then I don't think they've given it long enough.

This someone read the entire tome at the start of the year. It took a month and that wasn't much cop either.  I wasn't going to apply any more time to it to be honest.  I found almost every scene excruciating.  Aside from getting older, did any of the characters change from how they were represented in their first scene?  Really?

Jack, Richard, Aliena....

Post #: 55
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 20/10/2010 8:53:10 AM   
Rinc

Finished watching this last night. Really enjoyed it, it's not quite Rome in historical epic terms because the characters aren't as iconic nor was it as entertaining, but it was still done really well. I knew certain characters were going to bite the dust and it was easy to see what would happen but that didn't matter.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 56
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 20/10/2010 9:22:52 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I watched this in two sittings. Which I think for me is the best way with these things as I tend to get bored if I leave them.

It was alright. Its not Shakespeare, but it was okay. Prior Paul's wandering Welsh accent was fun and Lovejoy had fun in it. Its also amazing to see a cathedral built quicker than it would take them to put up a new Lidl store now

Spoilers...

Did, er, did you miss the bit where they were all dead old by the end?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 57
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 21/10/2010 12:53:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Yes, they had a bit of grey hair. How much further did we jump forward in the final piece was it 16 years, I forget.

I mean, I know they have to keep the plot moving and the church/cathedral is quite a clever character in the happenings, but they'd go like 6 years between having a few stones in place to the thing being 75% built. Maybe that's realistic I dunno, but I'd have said that the erection (oo-er missus) was a wee bit on the speedy side. Either that or those fellas in Barcelona building the Gaudi cathedral are swinging the lead as the last completion date I heard was mid- 2020s about 100 years after his death.

Post #: 58
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 21/10/2010 2:30:37 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Salisbury Cathedral (on which it was based) took 95 years to complete. Make of that what you will....

They obviously had to show it being finished earlier as all the characters would be dead

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 59
RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama... - 27/10/2010 4:49:14 PM   
Rebenectomy

Just watched the second part of this, and while I love the story and there are some great people involved, there is certainly some dead weight in there and I can't help wondering what it could have been in the hands of say the BBC or HBO.

I'll be staying with it though, I love this period in history.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pillars of the Earth - Starz 12th Century Drama Series Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI