Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Script Challenge : Month 20

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 4/5/2010 12:34:38 AM   
wgamador

Yep the challenge sounded simple but its forcing one to re-think action and consequences of the mandatory script element.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 31
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 4/5/2010 9:51:18 AM   
pedro

Agreed. This is way harder than I expected. Trying to turn something distinctley average into something special is pretty challenging. Mines just sounds too cliched at moment. A re-imagining is required I reckon. No point in finishing this.

Back to the drawing board pedro!

I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 32
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 4/5/2010 4:17:24 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedro

Agreed. This is way harder than I expected. Trying to turn something distinctley average into something special is pretty challenging. Mines just sounds too cliched at moment. A re-imagining is required I reckon. No point in finishing this.

Back to the drawing board pedro!

Also agreed. I'm enjoying the challenge but it's hard to avoid conventional ideas. I think, as of today, I finally know what I'm writing. I've been batting around three ideas, none of which had the legs to become any sort of story. I might, might have something now, having combined two of them, but it's too early to tell. I do have more enthusiasm about this than any of the other ideas though, so that's a start.

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to pedro)
Post #: 33
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 8/5/2010 9:52:16 PM   
neil10

Hello,

I've been following the script challenge for a few months and thought I might as well dive in and write one myself. All my uni essays are due in on the 21st but I reckon I could rustle something up over that weekend for submission on the monday, and it would be nice to have something valuable to turn to for the purposes of procrastination!

Look forward to reading some of these.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 34
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 10/5/2010 1:38:18 PM   
Oddward

Hey!!!!

I'd like to sign up for this, but the last two times I have signed up I haven't delivered a script, however this time I've put aside a whole weekend to write one, with a good idea haven already been jotted down and added to, it's just the need of a space of time to actually write.

So, hopefully you can expect a script from me this challenge and again I apologise sincerely for the last few monthsws of false and empty promises...

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."
- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 35
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 23/5/2010 12:52:52 PM   
not_parabola

Quick question....
I only just started using the forum as you can probably tell from post count.
Id like to now will there be any more? seeing as I am pretty much to late for this one.

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 36
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 23/5/2010 3:59:57 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: not_parabola

Quick question....
Id like to now will there be any more? seeing as I am pretty much to late for this one.

There's still time. You're not too late until the end of the day tomorrow. That's enough time if you want to have a go.

Otherwise, I guess there'll be another challenge around once we're done commenting and voting and discussing this one.

What became of the Empire Script Challenge?

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to not_parabola)
Post #: 37
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 23/5/2010 4:25:52 PM   
not_parabola

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: not_parabola

Quick question....

There's still time. You're not too late until the end of the day tomorrow. That's enough time if you want to have a go.

Otherwise, I guess there'll be another challenge around once we're done commenting and voting and discussing this one.

Got enough to do tomorrow, just wanted to know if it would run on and on
cheers though

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 38
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 24/5/2010 3:52:31 PM   
monkeyfish

Last day to be writing something now. How have people done?

I'm struggling to get mine finished. I think I may need those three extra pages after all.

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 39
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 26/5/2010 10:34:35 PM   
pedro

Sorry for lack of script. Girlfriend has hogged the laptop trying to get uni work done. I'm on my iPhone writing this just now. A million apologies-Not lying though!

I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 40
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 27/5/2010 8:53:40 AM   
Oddward

wags,

Check your inbox, please!

- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 41
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 29/5/2010 6:50:04 PM   
monkeyfish

Managed to get mine done on time. Just waiting now to see the others.

It's been a few days, any sign of wags?

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 42
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 1/6/2010 5:05:58 PM   
Oddward

I didn't finish my script on time... I only got like 5 pages written.

- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 43
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 2/6/2010 4:10:56 PM   
tftrman

For these script challenges are they meant to be self contained stories? I can't see how that can be done in 2 pages (even 13 sounds like a struggle).

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 44
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 2/6/2010 4:31:14 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

I have to apologise for not doing a script. I was trying to finish it before I went on holiday, but totally lost track of days. Again, maybe next time

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 45
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 9/6/2010 8:06:15 PM   
NickHilton

The script challenge is losing its punch somewhat when the scripts don't get posted for several weeks.

Visit a film blog written by someone you don't know and who has little authority on the subject and whose blog should only be of interest to close friends and family....

www.theclapperbored.com

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 46
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 21/6/2010 10:19:50 AM   
cillitbang

Wgamador, what's the situation?

www.youtube.com/Willwebbful
www.youtube.com/indietrix

(in reply to NickHilton)
Post #: 47
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 5/7/2010 3:12:59 PM   
monkeyfish

Is the Script Challenge well and truly over then? This month seemed like it could resurrect it, but there's just more delays. Will we ever see this Challenge's scripts? Has anyone heard from wgamador in the last month?

< Message edited by monkeyfish -- 5/7/2010 3:13:58 PM >

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to cillitbang)
Post #: 48
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 5/7/2010 3:40:11 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

I'm not wanting to seem like I'm treading on toes, but I think people should just post their scripts. The formatting might be a bit off as it's not one person sorting them all, but at least we'll get to read them

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 49
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 9/7/2010 9:53:35 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willie Mayes Hayes

I'm not wanting to seem like I'm treading on toes, but I think people should just post their scripts. The formatting might be a bit off as it's not one person sorting them all, but at least we'll get to read them

I agree. I think it's been long enough this month (again) that perhaps we should just move on. Post our scripts and then try and get a new challenge together.

Bring it back, I say!

Post #: 50
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 14/7/2010 6:24:51 PM   
monkeyfish

In the absence of any further developments. I've decided to post my script here. Anyone else who wants to do so, I say just go ahead and do it. If there is a contest eventually then I'm happy to have my script appear "out of competition" as it were. Comments and feedback, however, would as ever be much appreciated.

Anyway, here is my script on the forced into a car at gunpoint theme, "The Crossing"

THE CROSSING

FADE IN

EXT. ABSYRTA, WOODS. NIGHT.

A large, full moon rises above the bare, angular branches of the trees, shining bright against a black sky.

A pale white barn owl flies across the moon. Suddenly, it sees something on the forest floor beneath it and dives rapidly, with a fierce, earsplitting SHRIEK.

On the ground, a rat scurries through the undergrowth. It is too late to run, however, as the owl swoops down from above, grabbing the rat in its talons. As the rodent wriggles and struggles in the owlís grip, the owl bends down and tears the ratís throat out with its beak, leaving blood spilling on the grass beneath.

CUT TO:

EXT. ABSYRTA, ROAD. NIGHT.

A young gypsy woman walks along the empty road in the dark. She is dressed in layers of old, tatty clothing to try and keep out the cold, damp spray from the nearby sea. She is carrying a backpack full of her possessions and walking purposely when she is distracted by a loud SHRIEKING sound. This is Daria.

She looks back up the road, but sees nothing in the dark of the night but the streetlights.

CUT TO:

EXT. ABSYRTA WATERFRONT. NIGHT.

A man stands beside the road staring into the murky, dark waters of the Black Sea. Flickering neon lights reflect in the black water. Behind him, along the road there are a number of buildings that have probably seen better days, covered in graffiti, some are boarded up.

The man is very pale, thin with long straggly fair hair, wide eyes and an aquiline nose. He is dressed in a long dark coat and an ill fitting sweater, a few sizes too large. This is Anatolie.

The night is cold and the air is wet. The wind causes the surf to crash on the shore beneath the road. A filmy mist of damp is being blown up from the sea and around where Anatolie stands watching the distant lights of the opposite shore, the city of ConstanĢa. A ferry boat can just about be glimpsed traversing the space between.

Anatolie watches silently for a few moments, before turning back to the road. He walks towards a parked car, a 1970s station wagon with wood paneling along the sides. Glancing around to see if anybody is watching, Anatolie smashes the driver side window with his elbow and reaches in to open the car door.

CUT TO:

EXT. ABSYRTA, ROAD. NIGHT

Daria is still walking. A car pulls up alongside her, a rusty 1970s station wagon with wood panels. Inside, Anatolie looks out at her through the broken window. She eyes him suspiciously.

ANATOLIE
Need a ride?

DARIA
I can manage.

ANATOLIE
Itís a grim sort of night.

DARIA
Iíve seen worse.

ANATOLIE
Come on. Itís warm and dry in here. I need the company.

DARIA
I couldnít. Iím fine on my own.

ANATOLIE
Where are you heading?

DARIA
Whatís it to you?

ANATOLIE
ConstanĢa, isnít it? The ferry. Iím going that way too.

DARIA
Itís not far to walk

ANATOLIE
Iíll make you an offer. 500 Euros to drive me across the ferry.

DARIA
What are you smuggling?

ANATOLIE
Nothing but myself. Iím Anatolie.

He extends his hand for her to shake, but she does not take it.

DARIA
Trying to cross into Europe illegally? What are you, Turkish?

ANATOLIE
No, I am Romanian. I was born here on Absyrta. Iíve never left the island until today. Youíre going to help me do it.

DARIA
Sorry, Iím not interested in helping. Iíll walk.

Anatolie gives a SIGH of resignation and reaches into his long coat to pull out a gun.

ANATOLIE
I didnít want it to come to this, but you give me no choice. Get in the car. I need you to drive.

DARIA
Is that thing even loaded?

Anatolie cocks the gun.

ANATOLIE
Do you want to find out?

He opens the car door and climbs out, then gestures with the gun for Daria to get into the driverís seat, which she does. Anatolie then climbs into the passenger seat and takes Dariaís backpack, throwing it into the back of the car.

ANATOLIE
Whatís your name?

DARIA
Daria.

ANATOLIE
OK, Daria, drive us to the ferry.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR. NIGHT.

A little time later. Daria is driving. Anatolie sits silently beside her.

DARIA
So, is it?

ANATOLIE
Is what?

DARIA
The gun, is it loaded?

ANATOLIE
I donít know. Itís not mine. Neitherís the car actually. Youíre welcome to keep it when we get to ConstanĢa. My offer of 500 Euros still stands as well.

DARIA
You donít need the car once you get to ConstanĢa? Where are you going?

ANATOLIE
Away from here. I donít need to drive. I just need you to get me across the ferry.

DARIA
The carís stolen, presumably, thatís why you donít want to keep it. The gun too, I should guess, although you managed to take it off someone while you were unarmed.

ANATOLIE
I can handle myself alright without one.

DARIA
Why bother pointing that thing at me then?

ANATOLIE
I needed your attention and money wasnít working. I need to get across the sea.

DARIA
So, why me? Why not just offer someone more pliable the money?

ANATOLIE
Who else is there?

The road remains dark and empty as they drive along the gloomy shoreline.

ANATOLIE
Besides, I chose you because you are like me. A restless spirit, leaving this place and seeking a new life elsewhere. Running.

DARIA
You donít know that.

ANATOLIE
Youíre Romany, arenít you?

DARIA
How do you know?

ANATOLIE
That charm you are wearing.

Daria is wearing a string threaded with tiny bones around her neck.

ANATOLIE
Bat bones. A Romany good luck charm. You come from travelling people, those are my sort of people.

DARIA
So, you trust me because Iím Romany?

ANATOLIE
You and I know, we who walk alone, that we can never trust anybody truly, least of all a woman.

DARIA
And why not a woman?

ANATOLIE
They are savage, wild and brutal and always unpredictable.

DARIA
And men arenít savage and brutal?

ANATOLIE
Such is the natural state of all humanity. Women, however, are so much harder to understand and to foresee. Itís a story as old as the Carpathians, the woman murders her children to spite her unfaithful husband. You can never tell with a woman what is going through her mind.

DARIA
The way my grandmother told that story, the woman was a witch and she murdered her brother, sliced him into little pieces and scattered them in the sea and that was the birth of this island.

ANATOLIE
Maybe she was right. Thatís the way with the old stories. Different ways of saying the same thing. They called this the Witchís Island at one time.

DARIA
Thatís what she used to say. She was so superstitious. She belonged to the old world, the sort that the Communists wished to wipe out. When somebody died, she would bury a bottle of whiskey with the corpse in case it came back as a strigoi. She said the strigoi would drink the whiskey and not come home to haunt the family.

ANATOLIE [Laughs]
Did it work?

DARIA
My father said it was a waste of good whiskey. He used to go and dig it up after she had gone to sleep. My fatherís whiskey was the only evil spirit that ever plagued us.

ANATOLIE
Itís not so often you see the old traditions kept alive on the Witchís Island these days.

DARIA
They are my grandmotherís traditions, not mine. I donít believe in the fairy stories she told me the way I did back then. She used to wear these bones around her neck. I wear them now for her.

ANATOLIE
There is nothing to be ashamed of in continuing the ancient ways. I too carry a charm of sorts.

He shows her he is carrying something around his neck too. A sort of canvas bag. Opening it, he reveals a translucent, filmy membrane, having the appearance of a web of pink strands.

ANATOLIE
In times past, they said this would protect against drowning. Sailors would carry them to sea.

DARIA
What is it?

ANATOLIE
A caul. It was with me when I was born, covering my newly arrived body. Now it goes everywhere with me, to bring me luck.

DARIA
Youíre no sailor though, you said that you had never left the island. Why does the urge to travel strike you now?

ANATOLIE
Why does it for you?

DARIA
Nothing left for me. My fatherís dead. No reason to stay now.

ANATOLIE
Now is the time to leave. There is a brave new world out there. A world of open borders, where you can travel with such ease to other lands with other languages and start other lives. Those that ruled this country and closed it off from the outside world are long gone now. We can, at last, leave all of this behind, the history of death and destruction and start afresh. New lives in new places.

DARIA
You mean Ceauļescu?

ANATOLIE
Yes, him or some other tyrant. My memory for such things has never been good.

DARIA
And after all these years it must be tonight? You canít wait for the morning ferry? Plenty more potential smugglers to bribe then.

ANATOLIE
We are creatures of the night, you and I. We outcasts and lonely ones, this is our time.

DARIA
Lonely outcasts! Speak for yourself. And whatís all this talk of we and us. You donít know me. Youíve abducted me. Why do you need me anyway?

ANATOLIE
I told you, to drive me across the ferry.

DARIA
Why not drive yourself? You said youíre not migrating illegally, youíve nothing to smuggle. Why complicate matters with a kidnapping?

ANATOLIE
I cannot cross the water.

DARIA
Cannot, how? I donít understand. What do you mean?

ANATOLIE
I feel I can be honest with you, Daria. I have a, I guess you would call it a phobia. I cannot bring myself to cross running water. I need you to take me across.

DARIA
Youíre scared of the water?

ANATOLIE
Not the water itself so much as what is concealed within its dark depths, what could emerge from it. Anything could be hidden in that blackness, biding its time, just waiting for me to try and cross, just waiting to seize its moment. I remember hearing stories of creatures who dwelt on the other side of the world, banished there and waiting to come back through the water and drag us back down with them.

DARIA
My grandmother told me such stories of the people on the other side of the world. The blajini, she called them, the kindly ones, who would defend the people of this world from wicked spirits and enchantments. She said the blajini never knew when it was Easter and we would thank them for their protection by letting them know. We used to dye eggs for them, soaked in onions and cabbage, beautiful, brilliant patterns of reds and greens. On Easter Sunday, we ate the eggs and let the shells float down the river to them, these tiny, bright, fragile things, bobbing along the waterís surface, buffeted by the surf and waves, but still floating safely amongst them until those tiny specks of colour were no longer visible from the shoreline.

ANATOLIE
Well, whether good or bad, now is the time for the crossing. There is no turning back to all that has happened here now, only going forward.

They are now arriving at the dock where the ferry waits and a line of cars are driving onto it. Anatolie, still holding the gun, gestures with it toward Daria as he steps out of the car. She follows suit and he opens the station wagonís trunk and climbs inside, lying himself down. He continues to point the gun at her.

ANATOLIE
Drive onto the ferry and remain at the wheel. Do not, whatever happens, open this until we arrive in ConstanĢa. When we do, then you will get your 500 Euros.

Daria appears dubious about the whole situation, but after a momentís consideration, shuts Anatolie in the trunk and gets back behind the wheel of the car. She joins the line waiting to get onto the ferry and does not react as the guards selling tickets scan through the carís broken window with their flashlights.

CUT TO:

EXT. BLACK SEA. NIGHT.

The ferry cuts through the dark water, heading for the bright lights of ConstanĢa on the opposite shore.

The black sheen of the seaís surface is broken by the emergence of a ratís head alongside the hull of the ferry. Soon, this is joined by another and another until there is a large group of rats all swimming up to the ferry.

The swarm of rats leave the water and enter the ferry below decks. However, now that they have fully emerged from the water, it is apparent that these creatures are not exactly rats. They are larger than regular rats, and appear to have a body that is more like a naked human body with a ratís head and tail.

CUT TO:

INT. FERRY, HOLD. NIGHT.

A guard carrying a flashlight walks along a dark corridor in the hold of the ferry, beneath the deck level where the cars are parked. The beam of light catches a movement in a far corner and he walks over to investigate.

Following where the movement seemed to originate from, the guard opens a door and his flashlight beam illuminates a room full of rat creatures swarming all over the floor. With the door open, the whole set of them come rushing out in waves down the corridor around the feet of the shocked guard who drops his flashlight amongst them.

As more rat creatures emerge, the swarm knocks the guard to the ground and continue to rush over him, submerging him like someone sinking beneath the water, muffling his SCREAM.

CUT TO:

INT. FERRY. NIGHT.

Daria sits in the car on the ferry, surrounded by other parked cars. She is staring out of the windscreen, fiddling nervously with the bone charm around her neck. In the background, unnoticed by her, rat creatures are dashing between the shadows.

A group of guards emerges from below decks and starts to search in between the parked cars. Dariaís attention is caught by this and she starts to look increasingly nervous. She starts to drum her fingers nervously on the steering wheel as both the shadowy rat creatures and the ferry guards begin to approach the car.

Looking away for a moment, Daria can see out in front of the ferry. She can see that they are getting closer to the bright lights of the far shore, but there is a little murky sea yet to cross. As she turns back, she sees a guard standing right beside her car.

GUARD
Iím sorry, miss, but I need you to get out of the car.

DARIA
Something wrong?

GUARD
We need to search everything on the ferry. Iím sorry, but that includes all the cars as well.

DARIA
Why? What for? Iím not carrying anything unusual.

GUARD
Not that you might know of, anyway. But, we are concerned that certain pests may have found their way on board and we have a responsibility to stop this infestation. So, if you could just step out of the car, please.

Daria gets out of the car. As she steps out, unseen by her or the guard, the rat creatures are scurrying around her feet, moving from the shadows beneath the next car along and under hers. Some even climb in through the carís open door.

DARIA
I donít see how anything could get into my car without me knowing.

GUARD
Weíll see.

He leans in through the door of the car and uses his flashlight to look around and beneath the seats. After a while of scanning with the light, he makes a GRUNT, which is a mix of satisfaction and disgust.

Daria leans over behind him and sees where he has directed the light at the back seat of the station wagon. The old frayed fabric has a large hole. As the light passes across it, Daria is just able to see a rat tail disappear through.

GUARD
Open the trunk. Theyíre in there.

DARIA
What are?

GUARD
Those things, whatever they are. The rat things. Open the trunk, miss. I donít want to have to ask you again.

Reluctantly, Daria goes to open the trunk of the car, with the guard standing behind her. She pauses a moment before opening it, looking out of the ferry to notice it is arriving into ConstanĢa.

Opening the trunk, Daria reels back in surprise and disgust. Inside, Anatolie lies perfectly still, his eyes wide open and his face with an even more waxy pallor than before. All around him and over him swarm rat like creatures with human bodies, biting and tearing at his skin and clothes while he remains completely immobile. The guard appears overcome with nausea.

GUARD
Urhhh. What are they doing?

DARIA
Stop it! Get off him!

Daria grabs a couple of the rat creatures and pulls them off Anatolieís body, throwing them against the floor. Quicker than she can do this, however, the places of the rats she has removed are taken by others.

One of the rat people has gnawed its way through Anatolieís jacket and is now eating at the bag around his neck that contains his good luck charm. On discovering the bagís contents, the pinkish webby membrane, the rat recoils with a hiss as if it has been burned. The other rat creatures scurry away from it.

At that moment, the ferry reaches the harbour and the ramp to let the cars onto the dock lowers. Anatolie stirs. His head turns and he notices the rat creatures swarming all over his body.

He lets out a deafening SHRIEK that is beyond any normal human sound and sinks his teeth into the nearest rat, tearing it apart and letting the blood run down his chin.

He sits bolt upright as he tears into another of the rats, ripping its guts out with his sharp teeth. They are now rushing away from him, leaving the car and leaving the boat.

Anatolie, meanwhile, begins to change. His face with its sunken eyes and pointed nose becomes less and less human. His bones CRACK with a painful sound as he throws back his head and stretches out his arms. He spreads his fingers and they seem to grow longer and further apart while his feet spread into sharp claws.

His fair hair turns to feathers and white feathers begin to sprout from his arms and hands. With another fierce CRACK, his neck shrinks into his body as his head turns right through 360 degrees. When it turns back to face an astonished Daria, it is no longer in any sense a human face, the eyes are wide and round with beady little pupils, the mouth and nose have formed a harsh beak.

In fact, in a matter of seconds, there is no longer a man sat there, it is now a white barn owl, of the type sometimes called a ghost owl, holding the struggling, still living form of one of the rat people in its harsh talons. The owl formerly Anatolie lets out another SHRIEK, flaps its new wings and flies out into the ferry and above the ramp so it is over the city of ConstanĢa.

Daria and the guard can only watch open mouthed.

CUT TO:

EXT. ABSYRTA, WOODS. NIGHT.

Earlier that evening, two men walk through the woods under the bright, full moon. The younger is dressed in the long coat and sweater Anatolie was wearing and carrying Anatolieís gun. The older has an axe and has a string of garlic bulbs around his neck.

OLDER MAN
That weapon is unlikely to be of use to you against the thing that we hunt.

YOUNGER MAN
Still, it makes me feel safer. Iím not wholly convinced that what weíre looking for is truly a strigoi. Iím not sure for all youíve told me that I believe we are dealing with anything but an ordinary wild animal.

OLDER MAN
Let us just hope that you are right.

At that moment, the older man is knocked to the ground. Anatolie, naked except for a few feathers leaps from the trees above with a loud SHRIEK. The younger man spins around and fires wildly at Anatolie, not hitting anything, before Anatolie is on top of him, sinking his teeth into the manís throat, tearing at his jugular.

Looking down on the figure of the younger man, Anatolie picks up the gun and begins to take off the manís long coat.

CUT TO:

EXT. CONSTANTA. NIGHT.

At the parking lot of the ferry dock, Daria stands beside the station wagon, looking back over the sea, back towards the island she has just left, deep in thought.

Finally, she turns back to the car. The trunk is open. Inside is Anatolieís coat, now torn by teeth marks and blood stained. There are also blood stains in the car and the mauled remnants of a dead rat creature.

Daria picks up the coat and finds a wallet in the pocket. Inside there is 500 Euros. She puts this money in her own pocket and casts the coat aside.

Looking slightly disgusted, she picks up the rat creature too and notices something beneath it. Examining closer, she sees that the ratís tiny humanoid hands had been holding shards of egg shells decorated in bright blue and red.

She smiles to herself, shuts the trunk of the car, gets back behind the driver seat and drives off away from the coast.

FADE TO BLACK

< Message edited by monkeyfish -- 14/7/2010 6:28:44 PM >

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 51
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 16/7/2010 8:21:40 AM   
monkeyfish

I also think that somebody else should think about putting a new challenge together before it just completely disappears.

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 52
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 18/7/2010 12:07:25 AM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Good job Monkeyfish, that was enjoyable. The ship scene with the rats was really fun. I felt that some of the dialogue slowed the story down a little. And if I was being picky I'd say your story doesn't start with someone being forced into a car. Nevertheless, good script.

And yeah, I also think we should get another challenge up soon. Maybe when a few more scripts get posted. If anyone's got a good idea for a challenge then fire it up. Failing that, I'll try to come up with something

< Message edited by Willie Mayes Hayes -- 18/7/2010 12:24:21 AM >

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 53
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 18/7/2010 2:11:57 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Do it!I'd love a crack at this.Never read this part of the forum before

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

Post #: 54
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 18/7/2010 7:21:36 PM   
NickHilton

I did enter in the 'missing month' but i have no idea what happened to that script, so, alas, it will be lost to the ages.

This is the second consecutive month where there have been issues with getting round to actually posting the scripts. I would be happy to oversee the posting of the scripts if we could scrap the professional screenplay formatting and go for ol' fashioned play style:

BUTLER: I killed him. (Looks pleased with himself)
POLICEMAN: One day i'll catch you Stevens...

That would make it easier me thinks.

On the subject of a new subject, having just posted the first example that popped into my head- how about a murder mystery? Old school or The Wire-esque...whatever...

Visit a film blog written by someone you don't know and who has little authority on the subject and whose blog should only be of interest to close friends and family....

www.theclapperbored.com

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 55
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 19/7/2010 2:37:28 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willie Mayes Hayes

Good job Monkeyfish, that was enjoyable. The ship scene with the rats was really fun. I felt that some of the dialogue slowed the story down a little. And if I was being picky I'd say your story doesn't start with someone being forced into a car. Nevertheless, good script.

And yeah, I also think we should get another challenge up soon. Maybe when a few more scripts get posted. If anyone's got a good idea for a challenge then fire it up. Failing that, I'll try to come up with something

Thanks for your comments. It did originally start with the bit where Anatolie threatens Daria with the gun to get her into the car, but I decided it needed a bit more context so I wrote the earlier bit. I had conceived the script as quite a downbeat two-hander dialogue piece about a vampire needing the help of a lonely young woman to get him across the water (as vampires can't cross running water), but as I began to throw in bits of Romanian folklore, it became something more full of mad imagery. Basically, this is my version of a Mike Mignola type story.

Does anyone have any other scripts to post for this month? I think that anyone who has one should probably just post it as it would be nice to move onto a new challenge as soon as possible if we wanted to keep the Script Challenge concept alive after a couple of kind of non-starter months.

Bring it back, I say!

Post #: 56
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 19/7/2010 2:54:56 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: NickHilton

I did enter in the 'missing month' but i have no idea what happened to that script, so, alas, it will be lost to the ages.

This is the second consecutive month where there have been issues with getting round to actually posting the scripts. I would be happy to oversee the posting of the scripts if we could scrap the professional screenplay formatting and go for ol' fashioned play style:

BUTLER: I killed him. (Looks pleased with himself)
POLICEMAN: One day i'll catch you Stevens...

That would make it easier me thinks.

On the subject of a new subject, having just posted the first example that popped into my head- how about a†murder mystery? Old school or The Wire-esque...whatever...

I think it's important to write screenplays that read like screenplays. I mean, if we wanted to write in a stageplay format then that would be a separate competition. We'll never have a truly "professional" standard of formatting, but I would feel more comfortable writing my scripts in a vaguely proper screenplay style.

However, I think it would be great if either you or Willie Mayes Hayes wanted to do a new month's challenge. I think a murder mystery would be fun, but how easy would it be to do in roughly ten pages?

Perhaps we should have people who are willing take one month each and have a go at running the Challenge until such a time as wgamador and/or Maria Noir returns or someone really wants to commit to doing it all the time. I've no interest in running the Challenge, but would quite happily do an individual month if other people didn't want to do that one.

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to NickHilton)
Post #: 57
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 19/7/2010 4:47:25 PM   
NickHilton

I think a rota could work well. I'm happy to do the next month, i've just started my gap year so i'm a little spoilt for time at the moment.

But i think until there's someone who wants to run it full time and properly, then we should rotate between any active members who are willing.

www.theclapperbored.com

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 58
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 21/7/2010 9:34:55 AM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

I'm very much in favour of a different person running it every month. But I think to make that work, people should post their own scripts. I know anonymity was preferred before, but I think people would be far more inclined to run the challenge for a month if they only have to deal with formatting their own scripts.

The ideal format to me would be:

1. Challenge Master sets the challenge, deadline for posting, and deadline for voting
2. Separate thread is created for scripts to be posted in
3. Challenge Accepters have to post their own scripts in (right) said thread before the posting deadline
4. Original thread is used for voting - voting tallied, winner announced - next month's Challenge Master announced
5. ?
6. Profit

But as long as I get the chance to write something (or fail to, as the case has generally been) I'm happy

(in reply to NickHilton)
Post #: 59
RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 - 21/7/2010 6:40:45 PM   
NickHilton

Much as i think that scrapping the anonymity would make running the challenge a more attractive proposition i think that anonymity is a good, if not essential, thing for the challenge.

A possible alternative is that once everyone has declared that they are taking part in the challenge then the Challenge Master could send messages to each person saying who they should email their script to (another person participating) then that person would post the other persons script. A little bit more complicated, but then noone would be posting their own script and each person would only know whose script one other is...

Just an idea....

www.theclapperbored.com

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: Script Challenge : Month 20 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI