Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

No Preacher For Sam Mendes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> No Preacher For Sam Mendes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Preacher For Sam Mendes - 12/4/2010 12:58:19 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Oh well.......... - 12/4/2010 12:58:19 AM   
RoyalRyan87

A Preacher adaptation directed by Sam Mendes would have been great..........but the prospect of Sam Mendes directing the 23rd Bond film is in my eyes, and in the eyes of many even greater.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 12/4/2010 2:04:34 AM   
zwixxx

I so very much wanted a multi-season HBO series covering all the Preacher comic books (including special editions). Don't see how a couple of movies can do it just, though hope to be proven wrong. :)

Post #: 3
RE: - 12/4/2010 7:16:17 AM   
morg1138

I never really get worried about comic book adaptations but this one really is a hard one to get right so much so I donít even think it should be attempted and taking a glance at Neal Moritz past films (SWAT, FATF: Tokyo Drift and Click) I am a wee bit concerned.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to zwixxx)
Post #: 4
I just wish this one would go away - 12/4/2010 9:37:32 AM   
Marwood

As much as I like Sam Mendes I'm glad that he jumped ship because as a big fan of the Preacher series I really don't want to see an adaptation. I feel that it will only get diluted and lose the magic - particularly in film form. A trilogy would maybe be better but still surely cut out a lot of important plot and characters. Admittedly there are a lot of characters and stories that could be canned without much impact but I'm really concerned that the filmmakers will screw it up.
I guess it's like this when any beloved novel or comic is adapted though - surely a lot of Tolkien fans were really worried about the Rings trilogy but really happy with the final product. I don't know, I still think Preacher is much better suited as a HBO series but seeing as they dropped it I suppose that idea's dead for now. Then again filmmakers have been trying to get Preacher on the silver screen for years so maybe this is just another occasion where they were close but still not able to lock it. Remember when James Marsden was cast as Jesse and Rachel Talalay was set to direct? Yeah, that fell apart pretty quickly.

Post #: 5
Hmmmm... - 12/4/2010 11:26:01 AM   
AstroZombie

Post #: 6
- 12/4/2010 11:31:01 AM   
AstroZombie

Damn double posts. Yeah big fan of preacher and ennis' work. I agree with the majority and think this would work best as mini-series but a trilogy could work, i just dont think hollywood can deliver what the source material deserves. I wonder if ennis' current series "the boys" will get picked up (if your fan of preacher check it out, its awesome)

Post #: 7
Arseface! - 12/4/2010 2:55:13 PM   
TheRealMacgyver

Bit lengthy for a film imho, but you never know. I'd stick this and Transmetropolitan in the "I want to see a sweary and disgusting telly show thanks" rather than anything else.

It might only be 9 collections, but they can be bloody THICK books...

Post #: 8
Proyas or Fincher for Preacher - 12/4/2010 5:01:59 PM   
lukeyboy

I'm not too bothered about Mendes jumping ship - he aint a bad director by any means but he certainly wouldn't make it onto my shortlist! Get Alex Proyas, David Fincher or even (given his past comic book adaptations) Zach Snyder on this one and i reckon Preacher fans will get something worth waiting for!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to TheRealMacgyver)
Post #: 9
Fincher would be my choice. - 12/4/2010 5:33:12 PM   
theunwashedmass

He has a knack for dark comedy. Even Seven was pretty funny. Still think there's too much material which will need to be sacrificed to make it feature-length. Preacher is a perfect exmple of serial fiction and will suffer in the translation to any other medium.

Post #: 10
RE: Fincher would be my choice. - 12/4/2010 5:46:05 PM   
matthewforan

I was pretty excited about Mendes doing these flicks but I think the name is big enough to attract someone of equal class. However the thought of 2 or 3 of the flicks is pretty cool.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to theunwashedmass)
Post #: 11
Catherine Bigelow - 12/4/2010 7:44:57 PM   
shanewire

About 2 years ago I started a thread in the forums saying how I wanted Bigelow in the directors seat based on Near Dark. No one agreed then but how do people feel about it now that she's won the Oscar?

Post #: 12
RE: Fincher would be my choice. - 12/4/2010 9:51:31 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: theunwashedmass

He has a knack for dark comedy. Even Seven was pretty funny. Still think there's too much material which will need to be sacrificed to make it feature-length. Preacher is a perfect exmple of serial fiction and will suffer in the translation to any other medium.

Yeah, Se7en,.....laugh? I nearly shat!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to theunwashedmass)
Post #: 13
RE: Catherine Bigelow - 13/4/2010 12:17:49 PM   
TheRealMacgyver

quote:

ORIGINAL: shanewire

About 2 years ago I started a thread in the forums saying how I wanted Bigelow in the directors seat based on Near Dark. No one agreed then but how do people feel about it now that she's won the Oscar?

Know what?  That's an awesome call.  Nothing to do with the Oscar, but because of Near Dark.  She's a perfect fit actually

(in reply to shanewire)
Post #: 14
Director-Snyder - 13/4/2010 2:32:27 PM   
Hamsterwalt

Now some people may call me nuts but what bout Zack Snyder.I mean Watchman wasnt that bad in fact it rocked every one is only sore about the squid.And he is Visionary which could mean epic fuckin battles between Jesse and the Demons and think about it he might even get Jackie Earle Haley for Cassidy so u know it could work

Post #: 15
Tarantino - 14/4/2010 2:16:18 PM   
Rorschach753

He's already proven that he can direct violence and also have a strong storyline. He has also shown that he can include dark comedy into the most violent of films.This sort of movie would suit him well.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> No Preacher For Sam Mendes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI