Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Date Night - 12/4/2010 12:20:28 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 12/4/2010 12:20:28 AM   
angier21

I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. Semlyen here. I quite liked this movie, even though, yes, it was pretty predictable, but it was absolutely hilarious. Fey and Carell make for excellent chemistry; the car chase and the strip club scenes had me rolling and William Fichtner's broom was a very strange, but funny touch.
If you just let yourself go along for the ride, Date Night is very funny indeed.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 16/4/2010 1:05:54 AM   
ElephantBoy

Weigh up the pros and cons

PROS CONS
Its got the comedy dream team of Carell an Fey Its from the director of Night at the Museum
Carell and Fey! It's him who did the remake of the Pink Panther
STEVE AND TINA!! OH GOD HE DID THE UNFUNNY VERSION OF CHEAPER BY
On and Mark Wahlberg's in it DOZEN AND THEY'VE GIVEN HIM MORE MORNEY!!
Fey and Carell HACK!

(in reply to angier21)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 18/4/2010 1:13:38 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Weigh up the pros and cons

PROS CONS
Its got the comedy dream team of Carell an Fey Its from the director of Night at the Museum
Carell and Fey! It's him who did the remake of the Pink Panther
STEVE AND TINA!! OH GOD HE DID THE UNFUNNY VERSION OF CHEAPER BY
On and Mark Wahlberg's in it DOZEN AND THEY'VE GIVEN HIM MORE MORNEY!!
Fey and Carell HACK!

The director might be a idiot but I just wanna watch it because of Tina Fey and I like Steve Carrell although I havent seen the Office USA, but I think they'll make a funny pairing might be going to watch this when it's released this Friday.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4
I never walk out of films. - 19/4/2010 8:44:28 PM   
Ethanial

I mean, I have too much respect for cinema to do it, but god, Levy, die, just, die, 1 hour in and I hated myself for even getting up out of my house to see this crap.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 5
RE: I never walk out of films. - 20/4/2010 4:25:32 PM   
ElephantBoy

One bit of advice MI, avoid the Pilot of the American Office as its just a carban copy of the British one, but watch after that you will be very impressed, once it gets into its groove it's adective stuff. The cast are excellent and it does a nice job of playing hamege to the original, while doing its own thing, its actually a very sweet comedy. A classic!

Back on Date Night, from what I have seen it looks pretty funny, weather they can sustain what is a fairly old idea over a feature length is another matter. I have my doubts, but it would be wrong not to at least give a film with such wonderful talents as Fey and Carell a shot.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 6
RE: Date Night - 21/4/2010 9:29:18 PM   
theris108

This film is utter bum. I had hoped that Steve Carell and Tina Fey would be as funny as usual, but they were all-but hamstrung by a weak, over-used plot with wall-to-wall sod all original jokes or ideas. Black guy screaming *slow clap* Ray Liotta as a sleazy crimelord *slow clap* Bill Fichtner wearing a suit *slow clap*

Would have rather watched Son of Mask than this horseradish.

"'And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.' The benefits of a Classical education." - Hans Gruber

Post #: 7
RE: Date Night - 22/4/2010 5:57:26 PM   
MI Cruise

Might go and watch this on Saturday just because arent any other movies that take my fancy, waiting for May with baited breath bring on the summer blockbusters

(in reply to theris108)
Post #: 8
RE: Date Night - 23/4/2010 12:51:01 PM   
iheartthetalkies

Saw this yesterday. I thought Tina Fey and Steve Carell had great chemistry, but were let down by a poor script. Would say the fault lies more with the screenwriter that Levy's direction. Date Night is funny in places, but does not sustain the humour in the way a comedy of this nature should.

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 9
RE: Date Night - 23/4/2010 11:47:03 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: iheartthetalkies

Saw this yesterday. I thought Tina Fey and Steve Carell had great chemistry, but were let down by a poor script. Would say the fault lies more with the screenwriter that Levy's direction. Date Night is funny in places, but does not sustain the humour in the way a comedy of this nature should.

why didnt Tina Fey write the script then Levy or no Levy the story would have been funny as hell.

(in reply to iheartthetalkies)
Post #: 10
RE: Date Night - 24/4/2010 11:11:35 PM   
Edward Nygma

It was alright. Not really the shit bomb I was expecting. Fey and Carrell had pretty good chemistry and there's lots more fun to be had than in most of Levy's other...shit bombs.

It is, of course, predictable, far fetched, silly and clichéd but that was to be expected. Decent date movie, nothing more.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 11
RE: Date Night - 25/4/2010 2:47:45 AM   
ElephantBoy

I think Fey didn't write it because she wanted to approach a project as just a actress, of couse she writes a lot and has much creative imput on 30 Rock, so wanted to move away from that hear.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 12
RE: Date Night - 25/4/2010 10:33:42 AM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I think Fey didn't write it because she wanted to approach a project as just a actress, of couse she writes a lot and has much creative imput on 30 Rock, so wanted to move away from that hear.

well it didnt work out that way, if she had wrote it then it would definitly would have been more better. I've decided to wait and get the DVD not worth seeing in cinemas in my opinion.

Post #: 13
RE: Date Night - 25/4/2010 11:34:57 PM   
ElephantBoy

Chances are your right, but I think you can understand that since she is an onscreen performer than she really wants to stick to the acting outside of her pet project.  By the way how have you've seen it if your not going to bother going to the pictures.  You're not breaking the law are you.  Don't do it you are killing the film industry

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 14
RE: Date Night - 26/4/2010 2:27:30 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Overall I like this. It could have had more laughs they take awhile coming but when they come they are very funny. I loved the scene when the car they borrowed crashed into the taxi and the cars got stuck together, trying to get away from those corrupt cops by using a boat in Central Park with a slow moter plus the pole dancing scene was hysterical. Its certainly worth seeing but if you want to see these two at their best don`t miss The Office USA and 30 Rock. A Cinecard cinema trip or a rent when it comes out not a buy or expensive trip to the cinema. 3/5

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 15
RE: Date Night - 30/4/2010 1:19:45 AM   
ElephantBoy

See I'm the oppiste, the Cars stuck together scene was one of my least favorite, some of the big set peices or jokes just consisted of them screaming things at the top of their lungs and just went on for too long.

I enjoyed the more subture obersvation human about their realtionship, and the goofy stuff like the stript club scene and the stuff in Wahlbergs characters apartment was really good fun.  Overall a charming little film, carried by two good comic leads.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 16
A two-star rate night - 1/5/2010 11:39:45 AM   
filmsunlimited

What saves this film from one star ignomy is the comedial aspect. Not so much any intentional comedy, which only tentatively comes out in a film that doesn't quite know whether to take itself seriously, but the unintentional comedy of inappropriate dialogue. For instance, Fey is more interested in Mr Pec's 'instruments' than the fact that they are being pursued by gun-toting 'cops.' There is a couple's tiff in the middle of a car pursuit? Need I go on?
The plot is clumsier than a dyspraxic's attempt to walk down a tightrope. Needles to say, the male flesh on offer will notch this up to a 3 for those of us that go after men (I can't say just 'women' here can I, we live in the 21st century here.) Basic ally, this film is sh*t but at least moderately entertaining sh*t.

Post #: 17
Absolute Rubbish - 6/5/2010 6:50:12 PM   
Bighousewill

Ive seen mixed reviews on date night on rotten tomatoes some people thoughtb it was good. If Im not mistaken Date Night is the same guy responsible for the Steve Martin version of Pink Panther I saw that on Tv and digged the slap stick it was quite funny. Date Night though is pants, the two star review is spot on. The Funniest part was the outakes at the end.

Post #: 18
Date Night night - 6/5/2010 11:11:38 PM   
Bubba76

Took my date to see Date Night and we both enjoyed the date! The film wasn't bad either! ;-)

< Message edited by Bubba76 -- 6/5/2010 11:12:30 PM >

Post #: 19
Date Night - 7/5/2010 12:36:15 AM   
Lang

I went into this with sceptical attitude thinking it was goign to be shit and i'm surprised to say it wasn't that bad. I thought the two leads were on particulary good form, playing off each other nicely. everyone else in it might as well been cameos as like Wahlberg, Fichtner, Franco and Meg Griffin

Post #: 20
Date Night: Hahaha... - 27/5/2010 1:11:10 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

Now I have to disagree! This film was great! It didn't say it was original it said it was entertaining and it was. It had the action it had the love and it had the comedy! I loved the way Fey and Carell played off of each other, the story of course had a very typical ending but it was a fun film to watch and the outtakes at the end made the whole audience laugh, now that to me sounds like a positive comedy film, it even had a better opening weekend than Clash Of The Titans. A Great film for everyone to watch weather sober or not!

< Message edited by LUCASLITTLEWOOD -- 13/6/2010 10:54:32 PM >

Post #: 21
Some Funny Moments But Pretty Poor Movie. - 19/9/2010 9:44:29 AM   
joanna likes films

I was really looking forward to seeing Date Night, half naked Mark Walhberg and plenty of laughs here I come! Only to be seriously disappointed and quite bored of it. Yes there were some funny moments but not enough to make me laugh out loud. Tina Fey and Steve Carell were okay but soon got annoying after a while. I argee with Empire about Ray Liotta but why did he have eyeliner?! Pointless cameos from James Franco, Mila Kunis and Mark Ruffalo. It's very luckily I've not given it one star but two for the sake of Mark Wahlberg shirtless (then again, his character was pointless in it). In all, a few jokes yet a very disappointing film.

Post #: 22
Some Funny Moments But Pretty Poor Movie. - 19/9/2010 9:44:29 AM   
joanna likes films

I was really looking forward to seeing Date Night, half naked Mark Walhberg and plenty of laughs here I come! Only to be seriously disappointed and quite bored of it. Yes there were some funny moments but not enough to make me laugh out loud. Tina Fey and Steve Carell were okay but soon got annoying after a while. I argee with Empire about Ray Liotta but why did he have eyeliner?! Pointless cameos from James Franco, Mila Kunis and Mark Ruffalo. It's very luckily I've not given it one star but two for the sake of Mark Wahlberg shirtless (then again, his character was pointless in it). In all, a few jokes yet a very disappointing film.

Post #: 23
- 3/11/2010 11:46:18 AM   
reminn

Excellent.

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Date Night Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI