Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dear John - 11/4/2010 7:07:45 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Love Channing Tatum but dont love this movie! - 11/4/2010 7:07:45 PM   
MariannaBelle

This was a solid three star movie! It has too many flaws for it to be anything higher and it's probably due to good performance from Channing Tatum that it is even a three star movie!

The script is weak and there are so many letter montages that the film does feel a bit slow and long.

I didn't like the way the film was advertised because it really isn't a typical love story like the noteboook and you really aren't prepared for the type of love story it is.

Channing was amazing though. Yes he was eye candy but the boy can act and can carry a movie straight to number one. He did knock avatar from number one in america with this film!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Love Channing Tatum but dont love this movie! - 12/4/2010 1:15:22 PM   
Edward Nygma

Im sorry but this film looks like it will make me puke my guts out, cut them into tiny pieces, defecate on them, pee on them, then eat everything and repeat the process.

The cinema screen actually smelled like cheese when the trailer was shown!

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to MariannaBelle)
Post #: 3
- 15/4/2010 3:03:06 PM   
chris wootton

I love the trailer, it tells/shows you absolutely everything that happens in the film.. which is good because now i don't have to see it

Post #: 4
A Touching Melodrama - 15/4/2010 8:54:02 PM   
Bighousewill

This is a nice story about love that is put to the test because of John Tyrees (Channing Tatum) commitments to his job as a special forces green berry and 9/11 happens. There were 13 year olds crying in this film but I thought this isnt nearly as sad as Hachi a dogs tale thats a hardcore weepy. This movie wouldve been better if it were a bit more epic but I dont know what the book was like. I this film was a sensation in America because of the military aspect. But this is a good story and Tatum is good so is Seyfried.

Post #: 5
To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 15/4/2010 9:14:20 PM   
Bighousewill

You know you want to see it just go and enjoy it no one cares if youre gay or straight but when you say you want to puke your guts out you sound like a gay who is in denial and over compensating. Dont leave comments if you havnt seen this. I know I could be called a hypocrite because but ive only left a comment once on one film I wanted to see but instead I watched Kick Ass again and that film was remember me.

Post #: 6
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 16/4/2010 1:08:34 AM   
ElephantBoy

Well I really like Seyfried, but I suspect this might be her Leap Year

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 7
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 16/4/2010 9:23:19 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

You know you want to see it just go and enjoy it no one cares if youre gay or straight but when you say you want to puke your guts out you sound like a gay who is in denial and over compensating. Dont leave comments if you havnt seen this. I know I could be called a hypocrite because but ive only left a comment once on one film I wanted to see but instead I watched Kick Ass again and that film was remember me.

Or maybe they just don't like this type of movie rather than it being a comment on the dishiness or otherwise of the leading male?   You do know that when you type crap like that there's only one party that comes over as homophobic don't you?  Clue - its not the other poster.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 8
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 16/4/2010 9:24:31 AM   
elab49

quote:

You might not be called a hypocrite - but your use of an unnecessary allusion to homosexuality in your response might generate another epithet. Leave it out unless a discussion is relevant in context. Otherwise it comes across as rather unpleasant name-calling.

I'm trying so hard not to link this to your suggestion the US military are 'fruits'

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 9
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 17/4/2010 3:03:23 PM   
Bighousewill

Im not Homphobic it just annoys me when people assume a film is bad because its a love story or about an astonishingly loyal dog called hachi and they post comments saying how distgusted they are when actually if they really liked a film they would know that its the film thats important. Sorry I regret saying about being gay Im the least likely person to be homophobic. So sorry for the daft post.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 19/4/2010 4:50:40 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

Im not Homphobic it just annoys me when people assume a film is bad because its a love story or about an astonishingly loyal dog called hachi and they post comments saying how distgusted they are when actually if they really liked a film they would know that its the film thats important. Sorry I regret saying about being gay Im the least likely person to be homophobic. So sorry for the daft post.

I'm not gonna get into any sort of argument about Dear John or my sexuality, don't worry people.

For the record, the queasy oh-my-god-this-is-gonna-be-so-cheesy feeling I felt was based on the trailer, which I did see a couple of times. Based on that, it's pretty clear what the film will be like: lots of hugging on the beach, Tatum acting with his pecs, a cheesy "war is so mean it makes my kittens cry in their milk" message and a beautifully corny romance the likes of which the High School Musical generation will no doubt lap up before purchasing their "Tatum Pecs Pillow", now only $9.99. I've seen many many films and I like to think that by now I can kinda tell what a film will be like based on its trailer.

I'm not against chick flicks and, believe it or not, I even like a couple of them. But some, like Dear John, just seem to insult our intelligence. I won't be seeing it because the trailer offered nothing ressembling good filmmaking and a trailer, as you all know, is meant to show off the best assets of the film it's selling to the audience. So yeah, in this case, good luck finding any kind of redeeming asset...

As for Hachi...the poster alone made me laugh, so what? Sue me!

Ben. Affleck.

Post #: 11
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 20/4/2010 4:43:57 PM   
ElephantBoy

To be fair a lot of people might asume its going to be a bit rubbish, because of the sterio tyipcal hollywood slush fest its being promoted as, the kind which actually isn't about true love untoll. I think having the two promising young leads it does might presude a casual filmgoer to part with her or his money a bit more, but the trouble is that it's the look and certain soundbites of the film being rammed down people's throut. Take a film like [500] Days of Summer from last year, because that had two fresh leads who were pretty new to the Rom-com and it did it's best to promote itself as altertive in the genre, it became a sleeper hit and attrected a new audience, who are not willing to sit though another Juila Roberts phoning it performance.

I'm not pre-judging it, as sometimes these things do suprise you, but it is off putting, partly because of the promotion.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 12
RE: To The Children that want to puke out there guts - 20/4/2010 10:47:52 PM   
empire No. 1

hallstrom has a knack of showing that you CAN polish a turd. he illicits wonderful, natural performances from our two leads and delivers a fine, quietly affecting film, with more than enough depth to allow the 9/11 scenes. (remember me team, watch this and hang your heads in shame, this is how you render a 12a movie featuring that atrocity without being crass) johns dad, a high functioning autistic almost steals the piece. but tatum and seyfried (who has the most delicious lips ive seen on the big screen since sharon stone uncrossed her legs) are a strong enough duo to convince us their love is real. good battle scenes too. it also looks dreamy. not my type of film so im delighted to give it an easy 7/10

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 13
- 6/5/2010 8:26:07 AM   
Bente

lokking forward to it!

Post #: 14
boring and predictable - 2/7/2010 2:54:00 PM   
WhiteRabbit23

little originality..... very wooden acting from Channing Tatum in this film.
who'd've thought it was meant to be following in the footsteps of 'the notebook' - a much better film in many respects.
read the book, but this film, the ending in particular.... was easy to forget and fairly yawn-worthy.

Post #: 15
a solid romantic film - 17/9/2010 5:00:35 PM   
hampstead bandit

*contains spoilers* !!!

just watched this today with my girlfriend who insisted on hiring it from the rental store (the usual ratio - she chooses a film, I choose the other film)

it was actually a much better film than any of the reviews I read of in the newspapers

the 2 leads work well together, and John's Dad and the neighbour's autistic kid add more depth to the mix

the ending was clever in that the assumptions I had from the trailer and the start (that John had died in Iraq and it was going to be a standard "she loses the love of her life" film were flipped over

actually a quite decent film, and John's dad at the end was sad and brought a tear to my eye, but with a final upbeat ending that set the entire film to rest in a pleasant manner

3.5/5

Post #: 16
- 3/11/2010 11:48:11 AM   
reminn

Average.

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dear John Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI