Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 6/10/2011 12:26:13 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Funnily enough I do kind of agree with you. Everyone who says Batman SHOULD be dark and edgey seems to forget the 50's and 60's comics. DC different from Marvel in the respect that the way the characters have been delivered to audiances over the years has always been open to interpration and different tones etc. I love all the Batman flicks - even Batman and Robin - and welcome any and all interpratations of the Bats. Anyone who thinks it's not worth a damn after Nolan leaves is being very narrow minded.

Exactly - I loved both the Animated Series and Brave and the Bold. But the number of fanboys who simply cannot accpet a funny version of Batman, who embraces a signifcant period of his history, and plays around with the character, disappoints me. And now we have a dark and gritty video game, a dark and girtty movie, and a dark and gritty CGI tv series - wheres the fun?

Or in other words, "why so serious?"

Batman ain't fun. Kane and Finger never devised and wrote him to be. End of story. The words fun and Batman are not designed to be used if you wish to have a true reflection of the character in his original guise as per 1939.

Exactly. The 'fun' Batman really only came into existence in the 50s and 60s, Kane always intended him to be a serious, dark character. That's what separates him from the other superheroes.

Guys, come on, lets not start this debate again.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 181
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 6/10/2011 1:04:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

Kane also had him shooting a gun and killing people.

But he isn't allowed to do that now. Why not?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 182
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 6/10/2011 7:19:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Funnily enough I do kind of agree with you. Everyone who says Batman SHOULD be dark and edgey seems to forget the 50's and 60's comics. DC different from Marvel in the respect that the way the characters have been delivered to audiances over the years has always been open to interpration and different tones etc. I love all the Batman flicks - even Batman and Robin - and welcome any and all interpratations of the Bats. Anyone who thinks it's not worth a damn after Nolan leaves is being very narrow minded.

Exactly - I loved both the Animated Series and Brave and the Bold. But the number of fanboys who simply cannot accpet a funny version of Batman, who embraces a signifcant period of his history, and plays around with the character, disappoints me. And now we have a dark and gritty video game, a dark and girtty movie, and a dark and gritty CGI tv series - wheres the fun?

Or in other words, "why so serious?"

Batman ain't fun. Kane and Finger never devised and wrote him to be. End of story. The words fun and Batman are not designed to be used if you wish to have a true reflection of the character in his original guise as per 1939.

DC #31 September 1939 - Batman has a Batgyro,  Batman fights a monk with hypnosis powers, Batman fights a giant ape.
DC #32 October 1939 - Batman continues fighting the monks and also fights wolves and vampires.
DC #33 November 1939 - Batman fights a Napoleon look-a-like who has a giant blimp with a deathray.
DC #34 December 1939 - Batman meets a man with no face and a talking flower with a woman's face!

That's just from the first half of Batman Chronicles Volume One.  And I'm not even including dialogue, which the Adam West version is by far the closest onscreen representation of.

Batman comics have been campy and pulpy from the start.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 183
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 7/10/2011 10:09:42 PM   
hitchcock

BTAS is THE best version of batman ever. watched year one last night another excellent dc animated film. really didnt expect it for another 2 weeks.......... arkham citys then!

''Are you watching closley?'' The Prestige

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 184
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 12:45:27 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

No he never. It was Kane who first introduced a ban after another writer had an issue where Batman shot dead giants.

Also, directorscut, there is a stark difference between dileberately camp and just dated.

Anyway, enough with these trolls trying to derail the thread. Which upcoming DC Animated film are people most looking forward to?
Batman: Year One? JL: Doom? The Dark Knight Returns?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 185
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 12:51:13 PM   
katkitty24

Hmm I think I'm more looking forward to Batman: Year One and Justice League: Doom....I'm still gutted they ended the DCAU, would have loved to see how far they could have took it :)

Some people like to take things a bit too far tbh.

Castle - "Do I look like a killer to you?"
Beckett - "Yes, you kill my patience"

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 186
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 1:34:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

No he never. It was Kane who first introduced a ban after another writer had an issue where Batman shot dead giants.

In The Case of the Chemical Syndicate,the very first Batman story ever published, Batman;

-stabs a man to death
-knocks one off the roof
-throws one into acid, saying"A fitting end to his kind".

As for guns

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 187
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 1:47:10 PM   
Olaf

Considering almost the entire basis for Grant Morrison's amazing run on Batman was the campy and silly Silver Age comics people seem to want rid of, I'm slightly surprised that such a mentality towards that period still exists. (speaking of Morrison, Arkham Asylum wasn't realistic or gritty in any way and is still one of the best Batman stories ever written surely?)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 188
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 10:26:44 PM   
Lang

quote:

Anyway, enough with these trolls trying to derail the thread. Which upcoming DC Animated film are people most looking forward to?

I think all 3 will excellent to be honest...but the Doom edges it for me

Post #: 189
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 10:34:20 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

As Lang said - I'm lookin' forward to all three. Potential classics. And here's a review for the YEAR ONE blu-ray -

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/batman-year-one.html

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 190
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 10:38:17 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Seriously man, YEAR ONE, DOOM and THE DARK KIGHT RETURNS?! We're spoilt for choice! I wish MARVEL would pull up their socks and adapt some of their classic stories too. Can you imagine stuff like THE X-TINCTION AGENDA, DAREDEVIL: MAN WITHOUT FEAR, Sale & Loeb's BLUE, YELLOW, GRAY, a violent animated feature of THE PUNISHER...?!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 191
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2011 10:49:59 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

As Lang said - I'm lookin' forward to all three. Potential classics. And here's a review for the YEAR ONE blu-ray -

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/batman-year-one.html

Cool review. Am really looking forward to this. Will the Blu-Ray actually be getting a UK release? More often than not, it seems we just get the DVD :(

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 192
DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 10:09:57 AM   
Snake-Eyes

JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM Trailer -

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168642-justice-league-doom-trailer-debuts

Uhh... Animation could be better. And Snake-Eyes had a 'WTF?' moment when he heard that 'Dr. Evil' laugh at the end. Still, looks good.

Post #: 193
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 11:29:40 AM   
Lang

Nice to see different villains...

Recently watched Year One, exceptional but felt like it was more Gordon's story than Bruce/Batmans..

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 194
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 11:44:40 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lang

Recently watched Year One, exceptional but felt like it was more Gordon's story than Bruce/Batmans..

I can't wait to see YEAR ONE. Lang, do you feel it did justice to the original comics...?

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 195
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 11:46:08 AM   
Lang

quote:

quote:

I can't wait to see YEAR ONE. Lang, do you feel it did justice to the original comics...?

I'm not a comic reader so i can't comment..

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 196
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 12:12:37 PM   
Vadersville

In all fairness, Batman: Year One is very much Batman's first year as experienced by Jim Gordon, so that sounds about right.

The Doom trailer has really disappointed me. The animation looks very poor, almost like a Flash animation (the program not the Characater ), character designs weak (especially Bane and Supes) and I didn;t see anything in the trailer that resembled anything like the original comic. Kryptonite bullet? That's shite. Bats way of taking Supes down in Tower of Babel was way more brutal and we've already seen a Kryptonite bullet in Public Enemies. Plus I'm getting the feeling here that the league all know they're being targeted when in the comic they were very much caught with their pants down. And who is that guy with as Snake Eyes said a Dr. Evil laugh!? He wasn't in the comic....

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 197
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 12:15:13 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Really? aw, sorry man - I had you down as a DC fan! Not to worry; I'll be checking it out soon regardless. Even though you may not be a comic reader per se, if you ever get the chance 9or you're just bored and wanna try somethin' new) may I suggest BATMAN: YEAR ONE and THE KILLING JOKE; both are absolutely frakkin' bodacious stories that have caught the imaginations of many non-comic fans. THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is... ok. Just VERY overrated. Hope the animated film sets a new standard though.

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 198
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 15/10/2011 12:16:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

And who is that guy with as Snake Eyes said a Dr. Evil laugh!? He wasn't in the comic....

I think that's supposed to be Vandal Savage. I may be wrong though...

Post #: 199
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/10/2011 1:55:27 AM   
Lang

quote:

quote:

And who is that guy with as Snake Eyes said a Dr. Evil laugh!? He wasn't in the comic....

I think Snake is on the money there...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 200
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/10/2011 1:58:22 AM   
Lang

quote:

quote:

Really? aw, sorry man - I had you down as a DC fan! Not to worry; I'll be checking it out soon regardless. Even though you may not be a comic reader per se, if you ever get the chance 9or you're just bored and wanna try somethin' new) may I suggest BATMAN: YEAR ONE and THE KILLING JOKE; both are absolutely frakkin' bodacious stories that have caught the imaginations of many non-comic fans. THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is... ok. Just VERY overrated. Hope the animated film sets a new standard though.

Very much a DC fan by the way, marvel doesnt have the grit!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 201
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/10/2011 10:23:58 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Very much a DC fan by the way, marvel doesnt have the grit!

Exactly what I believe too. I mean, the MARVEL canon has TONS of cool characters and storylines that could potentially topline some great animated features - gritty and violent. Perhaps it's 'cos Disney now own it all that we'll probably never see it though. Maybe.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 16/10/2011 10:32:54 AM >

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 202
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/10/2011 10:30:23 AM   
The REAL Bozz

It's a bit unfair that WB animation got DC in way, I like DC/Marvel equally. I think had Marvel had the same push behind it that WB animation gave DC we'd have some cracking shows/animated movies. One day Marvel's day will come.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 203
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/10/2011 11:35:08 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

So it is! Well spotted. I don't know though. I had high hopes for Doom (The JL voice cast reunion, Nathan Fillion, Tower of Babel is an ace story), yet that trailer just looked so bad. Piss poor animation, weak character designs and the story now seems to be nothing like the original source material (I've noticed several places have changed their description from "an adaptation of" to "loosely based on"). In fact, the plot seems to be a bit of a rehash of the last season's arc of Justice League Unlimited, with the Secret Society, replacing Lex and Grodd with Vanddal Savage... what are everyone else's feelings?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 204
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 17/10/2011 5:35:51 PM   
Sotto Voce

Someone please tell me what these gifs are from.
http://courage-mylove.tumblr.com/post/11383976259

All things digested have a similar hue.

Post #: 205
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 17/10/2011 5:42:29 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Someone please tell me what these gifs are from.
http://courage-mylove.tumblr.com/post/11383976259

They are from the 'Catwoman' short which is included on the blu-ray (and dvd?) release of BATMAN: YEAR ONE. In both the main feature and the short, Selina Kyle/Catwoman is voiced by Eliza Dushku.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 206
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 17/10/2011 8:57:30 PM   
Vadersville

Anyone know where the best place online to get Batman Year One Blu-Ray combo pack would be? 

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 207
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 18/10/2011 3:52:26 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Anyone know where the best place online to get Batman Year One Blu-Ray combo pack would be?

I usually just go with Amazon. Pricey but worth it I suppose.

Post #: 208
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 18/10/2011 12:54:42 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'm gonna be unpopular but I do not like the animation style of Year One. It puts me off.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 209
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 18/10/2011 2:23:55 PM   
Vadersville

Snake - Eyes: I didn't think they had it on amazon...or do you mean .com not co.uk?

REAL Bozz: Really? I love what I've seen so far, really in keeping with the original material. Its JL:Doom that I think looks crap...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI