Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 21/3/2012 4:28:33 PM   
Sotto Voce

Doom is based on two different comic stories mashed together, one of which is Tower of Babel. I haven't read it, but by the sound of it, a straight adaptation of that would have been much better.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 271
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 21/3/2012 4:36:45 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Yeah, it's not bad. The plans to off the JL members weren't all particularly ingenious. You'd think Vandal Savage and his cohorts could have come up with them on their own, as they did for Batman. Its supposed to be a "How are they going to get out of this?" situation, but its all resolved in a fairly straight forward way.

Spoilers

Savage was supposed to have altered the plans from 'immobilise' to 'kill', but they don't actually bother to kill them. With Batman I guess its Bane's pride that makes him bury Bruce alive with his parents' remains to humiliate him, but with Lantern, they could have killed him,† but they just leave him there with the ring.

Despite being surprised by actually enjoying Doom, this was definitley the weakest aspect of the film. The way the Justice League are taken out in Tower of Babel is much better and more gruesome!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 272
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 23/5/2012 4:06:51 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

Finally, some news on The Dark Knight Returns movie:
No, there is no Conroy or Hamill, yet instead as Batman: Peter Weller. Not sure who Joker is being voiced by as of yet.. Full article as well as some stills below. The animation is looking great.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-returns-peter-weller-327960

< Message edited by TheFuzz_1989 -- 23/5/2012 4:09:17 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 273
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 23/5/2012 4:13:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

No, there is no Conroy or Hamill, yet instead as Batman: Peter Weller. Not sure who Joker is being voiced by as of yet.. Full article as well as some stills below. The animation is looking great.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-returns-peter-weller-327960

I hope it's not John DiMaggio. I found his portrayal of the Joker in Under The Red Hood extremely distracting. It sounded far too much like Bender.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 274
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 23/5/2012 4:41:27 PM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

I hope it's not John DiMaggio. I found his portrayal of the Joker in Under The Red Hood extremely distracting. It sounded far too much like Bender.

I had the same problem. His was a bit more toned down and creepy, well toned down when you compare it to Hamill's anyway. So far they've only cast DC newbies, so they probably might get a new Joker, although seeing as its a hard roll to cast they could always bring him back in.

If they do this movie right, not in a realistic/subtle manner like the Year One film, but in a grand, operatic manner that best conveys the source material, it could be awesome. Hopefully they get a good composer too, as some of the sequences would benefit greatly from a score as great as Shriley Walker's or Elfmans.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 275
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 23/5/2012 4:48:26 PM   
Russ Whitfield

Just as long as Batman doesn't advise someone to "come quietly or there will be... trouble".

That said, I understand why no Conroy, but its still a shame, he really is the voice of Batman.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 276
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 23/5/2012 5:14:31 PM   
Sotto Voce

My favourite Joker voice is the one in the animated series where they do the 50s style segment. Fav Batman is the one in New Frontier.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 277
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/7/2012 2:11:54 PM   
Sotto Voce

No-one seen Superman Vs The Elite yet? I was expecting to see loads of comments about the accuracy or otherwise of the British accents.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 278
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 16/7/2012 2:19:42 PM   
Timbzy

Justice League: Doom from this year was better. Superman Vs The Elite was kind of a dud.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 279
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 31/7/2012 6:30:31 PM   
Vadersville

New Trailer for Dark Knight Returns Part 1. Clicky

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 280
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 31/7/2012 9:04:26 PM   
rich

They did it better in a short segment of one of the animated series.... Michael Ironside did the voice for old Bats. This has that anime look about it...

Post #: 281
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 31/7/2012 9:34:02 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah I wasn't blown over by it. That segment in the animated series was awesome!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 282
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 31/7/2012 9:55:28 PM   
directorscut

Dark Knight Returns is rubbish.

Part I? How long is this? The previous animated films were around an hour. Are they going to charge people for two one hour films???

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 283
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 31/7/2012 10:41:39 PM   
Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

New Trailer for Dark Knight Returns Part 1. Clicky

Looks amazing!! I'm sold

Part 2 may focus on someone else's return?

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

Post #: 284
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 25/9/2012 10:21:52 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Dark Knight Returns is rubbish.

Part I? How long is this? The previous animated films were around an hour. Are they going to charge people for two one hour films???

About 1 hour 13m

I had read the book and I just seen the movie. Overall the movie is good but this isn't a faithful adaptation. Too many scenes were missing and jumbling about with the others. While it's expected some of the news reports weren't going to make it in the movie but I'm surprised some of the key moments weren't there too. For example some of the stuff about Batman struggling with old age isn't there like the heart attack scenes. Superman doesn't have his comeo and the Joker is only in it for two brief scenes. I like how they moved an early Joker appearance to the end which make a terrific ending.

Bbbbbb Bbbbbb.........Batman............Darling

It just a shame not all the rich material and the Joker subplot didn't make it.

Movie wise Year One is better and anyone who haven't read Dark Knight Return should do before watching the movie.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 285
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 26/9/2012 12:26:00 AM   
Lang

I can see where Nolan drew alot of inspiration from for rises.....No i havent read Dark Knight Returns but i still enjoyed part 1

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 286
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 9/10/2012 10:38:49 PM   
juanvasquez

A bit late to the party, but I picked up Under The Red Hood at the weekend, and just finished watching. I think it's probably the best feature length animated Batman I've seen (yet to see TDKR), and I'm probably gonna be chased away with torches and pitchforks for saying that it's probably my favourite version of the Joker.

The voice acting was brilliant across the board, and it's probably one of the most brutal 12 rated films I've seen. Some of the fight scenes were relentless, and the action was great. A shame I took so long to pick it up

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 287
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 17/11/2012 2:36:11 PM   
Sotto Voce

Just been reading The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, and thought they might be good stories for animated features. It would be interesting to see Tim Sale's art translated into animation.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 288
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 11/12/2012 10:07:32 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I got Emerald Knights on Blu-Ray from CEX for a fiver. Now - First Flight is a better movie, but EK is packed with features - including a commentary!

www.i-spimovie.com/
Post #: 289
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 11/12/2012 11:35:05 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I dont see the point in frank millers TDKR being made into a Cartoon.
Whats the point?

Post #: 290
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 11/12/2012 2:05:33 PM   
Russ Whitfield

the same point as any book/comic-to-film adaptation.

Money.

But apparently, it's pretty good. I'll know on xmas day!

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 291
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 11/12/2012 6:51:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

the same point as any book/comic-to-film adaptation.

Money.

But apparently, it's pretty good. I'll know on xmas day!

It has got good reviews,but as you say if its all about money then that is a depressing indictment.All it will ever be is a moving comic,and if the comic is doing that in your mind already then its somewhat giving the viewer what he wants but not what he needs.

I would be keener on a loose adaption.Maybe tell a different story,or maybe even straighten out Frank Millers rather poor TDKR sequel.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/12/2012 7:25:51 PM >

Post #: 292
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 12/12/2012 10:49:48 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Yes, but that could be said about any comic adaptation. Do we need a great Superman movie again? No. Do we want one? Hell yeah!

It's always about the money. I was thinking the other day that when things are done "for the fans" the fall on their arses: Serenity and Dredd spring to mind. Pit them against the Resident Evil or even Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne or Name of the King franchises. There are six RE's, hugely profitable films - hated by "the fans." Bloodrayne and NotK make their money back (eventually) - but the point is their longevity. And the fact that ďthe fansĒ hate them.

So at the end of the day - the money wins. That said, the DC movies really are artistically and commercially viable - Iíve not really seen a shit DCAU movie - Iíve loved all that Iíve bought and I think that theyíre a country mile in front of Marvel in terms of story and character depth.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 293
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 12/12/2012 10:54:27 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

Yes, but that could be said about any comic adaptation. Do we need a great Superman movie again? No. Do we want one? Hell yeah!

It's always about the money. I was thinking the other day that when things are done "for the fans" the fall on their arses: Serenity and Dredd spring to mind. Pit them against the Resident Evil or even Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne or Name of the King franchises. There are six RE's, hugely profitable films - hated by "the fans." Bloodrayne and NotK make their money back (eventually) - but the point is their longevity. And the fact that ďthe fansĒ hate them.

So at the end of the day - the money wins. That said, the DC movies really are artistically and commercially viable - Iíve not really seen a shit DCAU movie - Iíve loved all that Iíve bought and I think that theyíre a country mile in front of Marvel in terms of story and character depth.

Ironically, DC's greatest strength in its animated films is its biggest weakness in its live action films (The Dark Knight trilogy excused obviously).

Post #: 294
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 12/12/2012 11:07:25 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I've always thought that Bruce Timm should be taken on as a creative consultant for their live-action 'verse. Under his auspices, the AU really has flourished into something pretty amazing.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 295
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 12/12/2012 3:23:07 PM   
AxlReznor

Just got a box set of Batman animated movies for £8.50 from Amazon. Included in it are Mask Of The Phantasm, Mystery Of The Batwoman, Gotham Knight, Under The Red Hood and Year One. I've seen all of them before except for Year One, which I'll probably be watching at the end of the week. For £1.70 a movie, it's a pretty damn good deal. All that's missing are Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (which annoyingly has not received a UK DVD release, for some reason), and Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker.

As for other DC Animated Movies, I really enjoyed Superman: Doomsday (the only Superman movie that I have enjoyed so far) and Wonder Woman. But thought that Green Lantern: First Flight was mindnumbingly dull, and I can't get into the Justice League movie that I've seen, either. All in all, though, the DC Animated Movies tend to be of a particularly high quality. It'd be good if they released ones that are a bit longer, and actually released them theatrically, though.

Post #: 296
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 12/12/2012 11:25:19 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Just got a box set of Batman animated movies for £8.50 from Amazon. Included in it are Mask Of The Phantasm, Mystery Of The Batwoman, Gotham Knight, Under The Red Hood and Year One. I've seen all of them before except for Year One, which I'll probably be watching at the end of the week. For £1.70 a movie, it's a pretty damn good deal. All that's missing are Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (which annoyingly has not received a UK DVD release, for some reason), and Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker.

And the Batman / Superman Movie...

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 297
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 14/12/2012 4:53:08 AM   
Joserabal

Hi
Snake-Eyes, It is a great movie and thanks for the information of this movie.....

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 298
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 13/1/2013 2:06:04 PM   
sanchia

One thing which really damages this is the voice talent. Everyone sounds stilted and as if they are reading the lines off a script rather than performing. Also they appear to have gone for the the lines used in the comic rather than writing a script based on it which means that a lot of what is being said, whilst suited for a comic, does not sound realistic when read aloud. It is very distracting and really detracts significantly from the film itself.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 299
RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES - 13/1/2013 3:31:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

@sanchia

So by and large DC have just made a moving/animated comic while offering very little in there own creative ideas and maybe expanding from the source material.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DC ANIMATED MOVIES Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI