Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 13/10/2010 4:52:14 PM   
James2183

I was a big fan of Allied Assault when it first came out but not been interested in the series since. I might give this a rent if I have the time but Black Ops is my main point of call. Yes there are idiots online (more now than ever since more players have buggered off to Halo) but having played numerous other FPS on the XBox I have come realise how much of a solid article it is. I'm currently working my way through Battlefield 2 and although it's not a bad game so far it's not up to scratch on Modern Warfare 2. The controls feel sluggish, the amount of swearing seems excessive and the constant cut scenes are starting to grate. Although the story in MW2 was utter rubbish I really enjoyed the way there were able to incorporate cinematic scenes during the gameplay instead of cutting away.

I'll see what players opinions of the game is before I make my choice.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Pratt82)
Post #: 61
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 13/10/2010 5:59:46 PM   
HIM

Rented this for the Xbox from Blockbuster today and played the single player for about an hour or two. It's alright. Not great but by no means bad. It looks really ugly in places too and there's a lot of screen tearing so it's not been v-synched. Unreal engine 3 is showing it's age. The night vision sections look really nice though. It does sound good too. When you get hit by bullets you really get knocked back, which I like.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 62
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 14/10/2010 1:23:18 PM   
thepluginbaby

Does this game still have the ability to lean in and out of cover like in Medal Of Honour: Airborne? It was such a good mechanic though you never see it in console shooters nowadays, apart from maybe Killzone 2 which was a bit clunky.

I think I've said it before but Airborne was great.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 63
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 14/10/2010 1:31:55 PM   
HIM

Airborne was indeed a great game. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. It got better and better as you progressed through the story. but no, MoH (2010) does not allow you to lean in and out of cover.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 64
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 15/10/2010 1:20:08 PM   
thepluginbaby

Well, in that case... I'm out...

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 65
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 15/10/2010 1:39:55 PM   
talpacino

Updated version of Medal of Honour: Frontline free to those who pick this up on PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqQrK4rjho&feature=player_embedded

I just picked this up for the 360, looking forward to giving it a bash tonight.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 66
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 15/10/2010 3:17:07 PM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Well, in that case... I'm out...

It is really nothing at all like any other MOH game I've ever played, or even Battlefield for that matter. It's a lot more like Call od Duty.

Edit: I just found out you can lean! (LB) apparently is the button you press.

< Message edited by Spektre -- 15/10/2010 3:34:49 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 15/10/2010 4:16:39 PM   
HIM

Really? How did I miss that? I'm sure one shoulder button is flash bang and another is explosive grenade.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 68
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 15/10/2010 7:15:41 PM   
thepluginbaby

In that case, I'm in... again...

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 69
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 4:20:00 PM   
talpacino

I wasn't sure at first what I thought about the game after the first or second mission, it played fine but was just a bit blah, nothing special about it. It got a lot better and I'm really enjoying it but you barely get going before the missions are over. I'm playing through on hard and I'm on the last mission after just over five hours playing.
There are no real wow moments that you might be expecting after playing the sometimes ridiculous recent CoD story modes, that might be a good thing though, it's fairly straight forward and there's no real over the top moments. The character's excessive swearing gets a bit much though.
Overall very good but far too short and easy. If you're only interested in the story mode then rent it.

Only played a little multiplayer so far, really like it but not as good as CoD or BFBC2. The team assault games can get a little frustrating, in the few games I played last night, the majority of both teams were sitting back at spawn and sniping across, I could barely get out of spawn without getting sniped in the face. The few people that do make it across were then just constantly spawn killing. The objective based modes were really good and more my bag, felt a lot like Battlefield to me and I'll be playing a good deal more of this I think.

A decent restart to the franchise but it's far from perfect, hopefully they can build on this and maybe have a contender in a few years.

Edit: Yes, left bumper leans, but only in story mode, and you can only go prone in story mode. It's strange having two different sets of controls and basically two totally different games, not necessarily a bad thing though.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 16/10/2010 4:23:20 PM >

Currahee!

Post #: 70
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 4:44:10 PM   
Spektre

That perfectly sums up how I feeel about it too. It is fun but lacks a bit of polish. It will still keep me happy until Black Ops comes out so I don't regret getting it.
By the way in single player you can also slide...while you're running press B.

Oh and the spawn camping is awful at times...in one one game I, erm..I mean someone on the other team who is not me, hid behind a rock and shot abot 20 people in a row while they were spawning. Awful....just awful, some people have no shame. Also I, erm..I mean 'he' should have used some killstreasks to drop mortar as missles to get that achievementand to really pile on the pressure but I, I mean 'he', (gotta stop making that mistake) forgot to do it.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 71
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 5:05:30 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

You can do this in Black Ops too.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 72
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 5:07:31 PM   
talpacino

quote:

That perfectly sums up how I feeel about it too. It is fun but lacks a bit of polish. It will still keep me happy until Black Ops comes out so I don't regret getting it.

Oh and the spawn camping is awful at times...in one one game I, erm..I mean someone on the other team who is not me, hid behind a rock and shot abot 20 people in a row while they were spawning. Awful....just awful, some people have no shame. Also I, erm..I mean 'he' should have used some killstreasks to drop mortar as missles to get that achievementand to really pile on the pressure but I, I mean 'he', (gotta stop making that mistake) forgot to do it.

I have to admit to partaking in a little spawn killing myself, not that you were admitting anything there. Sometimes it's the only option when the entire enemy team is sitting at spawn sniping, when you somehow make it across and see them all lined up nice and neat, you can't not kill them can you, and continue to kill them as they rush back to their sniping perches?

Currahee!

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 73
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 5:11:33 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

I think, in Black Ops it's more of a dive to prone, whereas in this it's a slide to cover.

Currahee!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 74
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 16/10/2010 11:17:22 PM   
borstal

I got it as an early birthday pressie today. Straight to hard. Only time for one and a bit levels and had about 4 matches on MP. Impressed so far. Obviously the MP is a lot like Battlefield but a bit more forgiving. No run and gun like cod as it demands a bit more considered play.

The first game my K/D was 0/4 My last game was something like 17/3

< Message edited by borstal -- 17/10/2010 9:41:00 AM >

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 75
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 17/10/2010 1:31:53 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

Yeah, but this way you can do it without buying a game made by Treyarch.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 76
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 17/10/2010 1:27:35 PM   
Stevie91

i haven't had the chance to play it yet but i think they left it way too late to restart the franchise, especially now that they are about 3 years behind the first modern warfare game. all its downfalls will be compared to MW and battlefield.
they should have found a way to revamp the WWII shooter and stick with that, then they could have had the market all to themselves.
i doubt i'll buy it anytime soon, especially considering i got bored of MW2 so easily

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 77
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 17/10/2010 2:27:38 PM   
HIM

Couldn't disagree any more with that. Firstly, I think the timing is perfect for someone to step in and try and dispose CoD. Most of the creative talent has now left Infinity Ward. Plus many people would say that the series reached it's peak with Cod 4. So, in terms of quality at least, the CoD series can be seen to be on a downward slope. As for having the WWII shooter market to themselves, they probably could but it would be nothing more than a niche market. Staying in WWII would have been the death knell of the MoH franchise.

(in reply to Stevie91)
Post #: 78
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 18/10/2010 8:33:27 AM   
borstal

I am loving this. Im so happy with the balance on the MP is inbetween CoD and BF. I was laughing at the scrote CoD monkeys the other day whining how they keep getting killed. Well stop just charging in then you fucking planks! Watching players run into where theyve just seen a team mate get shot never fails to make me laugh at how stupid some folks are.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 79
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 18/10/2010 11:16:04 AM   
talpacino

I've only really been playing Combat mission, the other modes seem to be a bit too campy for me whereas in Combat mission you have to keep pushing forward. I'm loving it, just a shame there seems to be only 3 maps for this game mode. They're pretty great though, the snow map, fighting your way up the mountain is quality.

Currahee!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 80
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 19/10/2010 10:49:36 AM   
sroey

I think Im going to pick this up at the weekend - well Im fairly sure anyway...

IS it worth picking up? I enjoyed the BC2 single player and especially the MP and this looks to be more in line with that game.

Ill be trading in a shedload of games at the weekend (I have too many Im just not going to play) for this

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 81
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 19/10/2010 11:33:57 AM   
borstal

Is this Danger Close's first title? Well done that studio! Its not perfect but Im enjoying the campaign more than BC1 and much more than MW2. I may have fallen in love with it online.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 82
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 19/10/2010 9:32:40 PM   
borstal

My performance tonight (As Spec will confirm) was a bit like a gaming version of The Pixies music. They were know for their quiet/loud style. My performance was crap/good.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 83
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 20/10/2010 7:38:12 AM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

My performance tonight (As Spec will confirm) was a bit like a gaming version of The Pixies music. They were know for their quiet/loud style. My performance was crap/good.

I think it's like that all the time with me as well.
It all depends on whether the other team work together or not. If you get 3 or 4 snipers camping at the back then you are pretty much done for, if not then I can usually take care of them. It's either good or bad...no inbetween it seems.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 84
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 20/10/2010 10:05:13 AM   
talpacino

Sweet news, two new maps, two updated maps and a new game mode free for people with the online pass. I really hope one of the maps is for combat mission.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=270605

Those who splashed the cash on EA's shooter, Medal of Honor, will be treated to a free multiplayer-expanding download pack next month.

The free download will be released on November 2 on PSN and Xbox Live, and will add a new multiplayer mode called 'Clean Sweep', two new maps and redesigned versions of two current maps.

This comes along with the announcement that the game hit the 1.5 million sales milestone in just five days, waving a middle finger at all those critical reviews.

As EA explains: "The free multiplayer mode titled Clean Sweep is an elimination mode where players must rely on their own skill and teammates' expertise to prevail as the winning team.

"This exhilarating mode is playable across two all-new maps (Bagram Hangar and Khyber Caves) as well as redesigned versions of the popular Diwagal Camp and Kabul City Ruins maps." Not bad for zilch, eh?

You'll need that Online Pass code though - a single-use code that comes with all new copies of MoH. If you grabbed a second-hand one (already) with the code used, you'll have to fork out for a new code.

Currahee!

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 85
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 20/10/2010 10:12:18 AM   
borstal

Nice.

For some reason Im much better at some modes than others. Like the one mentioned, making your way up the mountain is awesome. Still learning the maps but Ive already got a few sweet spots I like to get into. Often in places where the opposition will run past you again and again. Watch those corners!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 86
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 25/10/2010 11:26:57 AM   
Pratt82

Mr B, is this game worth picking up or should I wait until it comes down in price alittle? I read some reviews and it's not great. Graphics wise etc. Controls alittle clunky aswell.

From experience you can never be too sure with reviews and other people opinions. Whats yours?

All Work & No Play! :(

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 87
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 26/10/2010 8:47:32 AM   
sroey

Single player campaign is really average. The first few missions were dull and and the environments were bland. I hated the MP at first but have warmed up to it a little. It is nowhere near as polished as BC2 and it seems like DICE have struggled to differentiate this from that game.

The single player campaign is short but I actually felt like it dragged in places and it ends with a wimper. The more I think about it the more I realise that even the divisive MW2 campaign was streaks ahead of this. Not sure how EA expected to compete with this effort. I also think the hit detection is off at times - only in the campaign mind you and some of the enemies can take a ridiculous amount of lead before they kick the bucket - especially as they all look like they are wearing robes (except for some of the special forces you encounter towards the end)

Despite me saying all this I am enjoying and hating the MP in equal measures. Its a solid effort from DICE but it feels rushed at times. Ill keep hold of this if only for the Battlefield 3 beta!!

(in reply to Pratt82)
Post #: 88
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 26/10/2010 11:10:39 AM   
borstal

It appears Im the odd one out here. Despite some flaws (show me a game that has none!) I enjoyed it. Ive done the campaign and enjoyed it more than MW2 over the top soap opera sillyness. Sometimes it looks stunning, really stunning and sometimes the framerate drops but not too often. Its not original with a couple of 'seen this before' moments but those mountainous Afghanistan environments are really believable.

There hasnt been a mention of the Tier 1 mode off anyone. Complete levels under a par time. Trickier kills are rewarded by freezing the clock for a set time. Knife kills, headshots etc. I havent done the first one yet after a few tries. Trying to get it done quickly forces you into trickier situations. A nice touch is you can see a marker of where your Live friends made it to like on some of Trials levels.

I still think the MP is really good. Ive played enough to get placed in my true level of skill. At first I was battering the enemy as I was put in with all new players (ie MW2 gimps) who really didnt have a clue about 'team' and 'strategy'. Now Im mostly with people of my skill ranking and as such normally place mid table with a few table topping results and the odd poor showing. The modes are varied and make you feel like your playing in a constantly progressing battle just like Battlefield.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 89
RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today - 26/10/2010 11:35:34 AM   
Pratt82

Well I think I'll have a look then next month as I'm not getting 'Black Ops' until Christmas. Thats my Boxing Day sorted.

< Message edited by Pratt82 -- 26/10/2010 11:36:09 AM >

All Work & No Play! :(

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Medal Of Honour BETA live today Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI