Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 6/4/2010 2:55:28 PM   
The Hooded Man

It made Clooney the star he is today because it made him take a long, hard look at his career.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 31
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 6/4/2010 3:03:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

Sad thing is, Batman and Robin made quite a bit of cash. So while an artist failure - I don't think it hurt Clooney as much as say, the Peacemaker.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 32
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 6/4/2010 3:08:17 PM   
The Hooded Man

No it didn't, if anything it wasn't until the fans saw it that people realised how bad it was. Many critics, Empire included, sat on the fence and gave it a safe three stars so not to upset their cash cow Hollywood pals.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 6/4/2010 9:13:02 PM   
GoodBadGroovy

Am I the only one that thinks Batman Forever is worse?  At least in terms of entertainment value.  B&R may be a worse film, but it's so so terribly, insanely, off the wall bad that it's hilariously entertaining.  BF on the other hand is kind of just boringly bad, it begins the trend of sinking into terribleness, but isn't crazy enought to be particularly enjoyable. 

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 34
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 6/4/2010 9:15:17 PM   
Lloyd_Christmas

hahaha

You totally had me for a second. Batman & Robin was on TV last night and I threw it on for a little bit, this reminded me of exactly how terrible it really is.

Hey guys! Big gulps eh? Alright! ......... WELL, see ya later!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 35
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 7/4/2010 10:45:46 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodBadGroovy

Am I the only one that thinks Batman Forever is worse?  At least in terms of entertainment value.  B&R may be a worse film, but it's so so terribly, insanely, off the wall bad that it's hilariously entertaining.  BF on the other hand is kind of just boringly bad, it begins the trend of sinking into terribleness, but isn't crazy enought to be particularly enjoyable. 

I prefer Batman And Robin to Batman Forever, at least to the version that got released.  I shall make this brief as no doubt you'll all jump on me, but I really can't see for the life of me why B+R is considered so bad.  Yes, it's stupid and childish, but it's also funny [albeit in a childish way], and quite inventive. It shares many similarities with the 60s TV series and movie, yet that tends to be regarded quite fondly [I think....?].   I won't go as far to say it's a particularly good movie, but given the choice between watching B+R and Chris Nolan's bland, boring Batman films, I'll pick B+R every time.  

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to GoodBadGroovy)
Post #: 36
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 7/4/2010 11:37:50 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodBadGroovy

I prefer Batman And Robin to Batman Forever, at least to the version that got released.  I shall make this brief as no doubt you'll all jump on me, but I really can't see for the life of me why B+R is considered so bad.  Yes, it's stupid and childish, but it's also funny [albeit in a childish way], and quite inventive. It shares many similarities with the 60s TV series and movie, yet that tends to be regarded quite fondly [I think....?].   I won't go as far to say it's a particularly good movie, but given the choice between watching B+R and Chris Nolan's bland, boring Batman films, I'll pick B+R every time.  

to infinity

Bring on the pain......

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 37
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 7/4/2010 4:39:20 PM   
ElephantBoy

Trouble with Batman and Robin, apart from all the bad creative ideas, mudled plot, poor director, dumb look and mostly wooden , is how effensive it is. The Afred cencer storyline had no beiness being in the film and was just crammed in to tug at our heart strings and try and add depth which just was not there. Things like that turn a rotten film, into one of the worse ever made.

I actually like Clooney as a actor, its just he was completely wrong for this part and was quite poor in it. I would argue that it was from Dusk Till Dawn or maybe on a larger scale the Ocens films that made him a house hold name.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 38
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 7/4/2010 4:44:34 PM   
MovieAddict247

I have seen Batman and Robin a shockingly high number of times times - the "terrible Batman film" was a staple part of my childhood, and I still watch it if its on TV - its like a really really bad superhero pantomine. A really really really really bad pantomine, which still manages to be entertaining.

To be honest, I never really bought into the whole "worst film ever" and all the hate for it. Theres not a lot right with it, but it makes me laugh.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 39
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 8/4/2010 8:06:38 AM   
grucl

For your further entertainment here are some horrible Mr Freeze one-liners:

You're not sending ME to the COOLER!
Tonight, hell freezes over!
Ice to see you!
What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!
Cool party!
If revenge is a dish best served cold, then put on your Sunday finest. It's time to feast!
Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well. For it's the chilling sound of your doom.
Let's kick some ice!
The Ice Man cometh!
Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming!
Stay cool, Birdboy.
Freeze in hell, Batman!

< Message edited by grucl -- 8/4/2010 8:08:25 AM >

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 40
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 8/4/2010 2:32:18 PM   
lukeyboy

Thank fuck this thread is a joke - i was just about to open a can of verbal whoop-ass on Snake Eyes!

Batman & Robin truly sucks balls big time which is a shame because Clooney would've made a good Batman, and Uma Thurman a good Poison Ivy in another directors hands!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 41
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 9/4/2010 6:42:07 PM   
petecriss8000

I actually bought the 2005 DVD of this today just because I heard Kilmer and O'Donnell give it a kicking in the extras.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 42
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 20/7/2012 12:30:22 PM   
Dr Lenera

In Gotham City, Batman and Robin attempt to stop Mr. Freeze from stealing a cache of diamonds. After a lengthy chase, the supervillain freezes Robin and flees, warning Batman he has eleven minutes to thaw Robin. They learn that Freeze was a scientist named Victor Fries. He became dependent on a diamond-powered subzero suit following an accident in a cryogenics lab he was using to find a cure for his wife, Nora, who was suffering from a terminal illness called MacGregor’s Syndrome. Meanwhile, in South America, botanist Dr. Pamela Isley is working under Dr. Jason Woodrue, a mad scientist who recently had his funding cut by Wayne Enterprises and is experimenting with the strength serum Venom. After Woodrue subjecting a diminutive convict to the experiment, transforming him into the muscular Bane, Isley refuses to join him and Woodrue overturns a shelf of various toxins onto her. Rather than dying, she transforms into the seductive Poison Ivy out for revenge on both Woodrue and Bruce Wayne, AKA Batman…………….

Batman & Robin is better than The Dark Knight!

Whenever I say this, I am constantly met with incredulity. “Am I joking”? “How could I think that”? I’ll go further and say it’s better than Batman Begins too. Christopher Nolan’s Bat outings are constantly praised for their supposed realism, but I have never understood why if a film is more realistic and ‘dark’, it is somehow better. It’s the same with the Bond movies, where the more fantastical outings are looked down upon and the more down-to-earth ones are far more widely praised. Batman & Robin is intended as nothing more than a piece of colourful kid-friendly fun, and on that level it succeeds. It also has considerable heart. Given the choice, I’d much rather watch it again than Nolan’s dull, drab films. Now of course I am not claiming it is the best of all Batman films; for me Tim Burton’s films reign supreme and show that Batman can go dark while still remaining entertaining. Batman Returns is actually a stunningly audacious and beautiful combination of art movie and blockbuster which has style and artistry that Nolan can only dream of, at least the Nolan who makes Batman films, not the other Nolan who made the very fine Inception. And anyway, in terms of realism, how real can a Batman film be? It’s about a man who dreses up as a bat to fight crime!

The general impression is that everywhere you look, Batman & Robin is regarded as a piece of crap, a travesty, the lowest a Hollywood blockbuster can go, though actually it does have its likers if you look on sites like the IMDB, but unsurprisingly they are afraid of being torn to bits by the hoardes of Nolan fan boys if they talk too much! Every time I watch the film, I think of dozens of worst films in just the first five minutes. Batman & Robin is a blast. Saying that, I’m not going to admit that it isn’t heavily flawed. That would be stupid! Warner’s decision to make a film that was, above all, “toyetic”, an invented word that means containing lots of potential toys for kids, resulted in having toy companies make decisions on things in the film so they could start making their toys early, which is surely not a way to proceed with a film. In fact, it seems that the studio controlled every aspect of the film very closely and director Joel Schumacher just decided to ‘go with it’ and make what they wanted; a live- action cartoon not that far from the 1960’s TV series. The script by Akiva Goldsman is frankly a mess but a great deal of stuff was cut out of the film including anything that could be considered not family friendly, such as Poison Ivy killing Bruce Wayne’s girlfriend, helping to severely reduce Elle Macpherson’s role.

Despite what you may have heard, Batman & Robin did not flop. It was a hit, just not as big as expected, and is a good example of a blockbuster where excessive, in-your-face marketing may have backfired and turned people off the film. Another example is the 1998 Godzilla, though Batman & Robin is infinitely better than that! The key to enjoying is to just take it on the level it wants you to, as a ridiculous, action packed, light hearted romp. The first fifteen minutes never fail to impress me with their inventiveness, as Batman and Robin battle and chase Mr Freeze all over the place. What happens when Mr Freeze falls out of a plane and sprouts butterfly-like wings? Why, Batman and Robin jump out of the plane after him on aerial roller skates of course! It’s absurd and unbelievable, but fun if you just switch your brain off. In any case, this lengthy opening sequence probably contains more action than all of The Dark Knight and afterwards you’re never ten minutes away from something else happening. When I see a Batman film I want to see him being Batman and kicking lots of butt. I don’t want to see lots of scenes of people in rooms talking.

The inexhaustible of array of gadgets and amazing vehicles perhaps does get a little much but when you have such wonderfully crazy scenes such as an ice hockey battle and a vehicle chase down a statue, it really doesn’t matter, and, besides, visually the film is quite something, cinematographer Steven Goldblatt creating quite beautiful compositions from three main colours; red for Batman and Robin, blue for Mr Freeze and green and Poison Ivy. Barbara Ling’s production design is even more impressive, from the observatory held up by a huge statue to Arkham Asylum, which looks like a nightmare version of Notre Dame Cathedral replete with jutting serpents replacing the gargoyles. When you add visual references to films like Blonde Venus and The Black Cat ’34, which are not the best known movies about, you cannot say that a great deal of thought has not been put into at some aspects of the film, and I haven’t yet got to Elliot Goldenthal’s score, which is amazingly rich and diverse [it has two themes for Poison Ivy alone, a vaguely Middle Eastern dance-like piece and a sultry saxophone ditty] and really shows up Hans Zimmer’s work on the Nolan films for the dreary, monotonous mediocrity that it is.

Of course certain elements are botched. Alicia Silverstone’s presence as Batgirl isn’t really justified and she becomes very annoying with her plentiful semi-feminist lines designed to make young girls cheer. Poison Ivy’s creation is a weak rehash of Catwoman’s and it’s never clear what her powers exactly are, while Bane is wasted and is a character that will probably be done better in The Dark Knight Rises though I doubt little else will. Mr Freeze is rather good though, despite some inconsistences such as him constantly smoking cigars despite having to remain at freezing temperature constantly. Acted with a surprising amount of emotion by Arnold Schwarzenegger, he may be saddled with every pun involving the words cold, chill and freeze you can think of but is a fully rounded character with a rather sad aspect. When he talks to his wife, who is being kept alive, just about, in a glass cell, it’s rather moving, and another subplot involving the possibly dying Alfred is nice too, making this a Batman film that contains more humanity and feeling than certainly Nolan’s efforts and maybe a couple of the others too. Schumacher always wanted to make a serious Batman film, and there are traces of that here and there in Batman & Robin, not just in the deleted scenes of Batman Forever!

I haven’t yet mentioned the much discussed gay element which, frankly, apart from the tongue-in-cheek ‘suiting’ up bits, seems to me more a case of something you notice once you know it’s supposed to be there, rather than something that automatically jumps out at you. The acting overall is a mixed bag with George Clooney somewhat better than normal [I’ve never really rated him] though Uma Thurman is all over the place. But really, this film isn’t so bad. Forget Nolan’s ‘oh so serious’ films. Give me Mr Freeze freezing everything in sight while saying “the ice man cometh”. Give me Bane bursting into Mr Freeze’s prison cell with a shopping trolley with his suit and Freeze saying; “at last, a laundry service that delivers”. Give me be vehicles going about 70 mph down a statue and being able to stop dead in their tracts, regardless of such scientifically proved concepts as speed, velocity, gravity. Give me Batman, despite having years of detective skills and deductive reasoning, having trouble identifying people who change their hair colour, stop wearing glasses and wear a mask that only covers the eye area. Give me Robin making a Robin-signal shaped hole in the wall with his gun. Give me a building which is really small from the outside but inside is fifty times bigger than the Tardis. Give me water glowing red when it heats up. Give me…..the nipples…….

Rating: 6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 43
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 20/7/2012 12:51:05 PM   
Discodez

I remember reading somewhere once about this film critic who actually enjoyed Batman and Robin! I thought you were a myth, a phantom, a ghost!

Nice to finally meet you

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 44
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 20/7/2012 2:56:43 PM   
st3veebee

Awful, dreadful, terrible, cringy, tongue-gnashingly hideous, aggrevating, repulsive, awfully acted, bad FX, bad, nausea-inducing, shifty, dirty, lazy, smelly, shifty, kooky, spooky & Chinese.

I do really like Arnie in it though. 

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 45
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 20/7/2012 3:38:51 PM   
Russ Whitfield

It is kid-friendly fun. I quite like this film - as the reviewer says, it would be nuts to say that its a great, flawless movie, but it succeeds at what it set out do... less dark, more kid-friendly, harkens back to the 60s show... its just not dark, brooding Batman.

I can't agree that its better than 'Begins, its just different, but I'd rather watch this again than The Dark Knight, which I really didn't enjoy. I've watched it (the dark knight, I mean) 3 times now (because I MUST be wrong in thinking that it's shit given the praise that was heaped upon it at the time) and I still think that its ok at best.

< Message edited by Russ Whitfield -- 20/7/2012 3:39:34 PM >

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 46
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 22/7/2012 8:52:13 PM   
moviebuff73

shit movie. schumacher has alot to answer for.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 47
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 5:23:14 AM   
Spaldron

That review genuinely made me laugh, I never thought I'd read the words "Batman & Robin is better than The Dark Knight!" written by a sane person but apparently so.

Truly, truly, truly terrible, awful, dreadful, offensive piece of absolute shite, probably the worst blockbuster in cinema history. What really bugs me is that the above review argues that the only people who hate B&R are a bunch of Nolan fanboys, get a grip man! The film came out in '97, years before the Nolan trilogy and just as many people hated it back then as they do now, it has nothing to do with the Nolan-verse. Truth is the Nolan films had to happen, they rescued the Batman series from the cesspool this film left it in and gave Batman his credibility back, something the Schumacher films didn't give a shit about.

0/10

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 48
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 8:47:45 AM   
Sleazy

I actually like it.

There I've said it.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 49
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 9:27:14 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Batman has not always been "Dark and Brooding"; a quick internet search will provide you with loads of quotes as to how the character started out that way, but the truth is that many of those 40's stories were ludicrous as well.

The Batman And Robin movie just isn't Tim Burton's Batman. It's a kids movie built around selling toys to kids - clearly. To an eight year old, Batman and Robin is cool movie. I've never understood grown ups getting their knickers in a twist about the film. The writing was on the wall with Batman Forever - clearly, they were going down the camp, kid-friendly path, the tone had lurched from Burton's excesses (but these were GOOD excesses) into... other kinds of excesses - not all of them good if you're over 12.

But yeah -- it's a bit like kicking The Mickey Mouse Club House for not paying enough attention to Goofy's character arc. Or, if you like, saying Gladiator is a shit movie because its historically inaccurate. Gladiator is not a documentary, Batman and Robin is not marketed for grown-ups.

So, yeah - its still pretty rubbish, but getting all bent out of shape because its not the Batman movie that you (the generic you) wanted is like getting bent out of shape because Resident Evil isn't the Resident Evil movie you wanted... its sort of missing the point.

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 50
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 10:48:38 AM   
Russ Whitfield

This came via SFN - purely by chance:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/blog/5-reasons-you-should-watch-1997s-batman-robin/

www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 51
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 12:52:07 PM   
Hood_Man

It's better than Jack Frost at least.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 52
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 1:03:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

ICEFREZZECHILLICEICECOLD

That is basically my memory of the film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 53
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 23/7/2012 1:59:35 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Sad thing is, Batman and Robin made quite a bit of cash. So while an artist failure - I don't think it hurt Clooney as much as say, the Peacemaker.

The Peacemaker for me is George Clooney's best film.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 54
RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic - 14/8/2012 1:26:07 PM   
pseudocreme

Just no, a million times, no. It's a disgrace, and has caused years of me having to explain why Batman is actually a badass. Thank God Nolan came along.

The Mission is never over...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: BATMAN & ROBIN - Misunderstood Classic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI