Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whip It - 30/3/2010 12:32:37 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Roller Derbys Rock! - 30/3/2010 12:32:37 PM   
MariannaBelle

I saw this movie at a preview screening and i think it's amazing.

It's such a nice kooky twist on the usual emancipation feel good movies with a great directorial debut for Drew Barrymore.

A good script, a good cast, good funny scenes = a really good movie.

I will definately start to roller skate again because this film reminds you of just how fun it really is.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Roller Derbys Rock! - 31/3/2010 12:18:52 AM   
kata

I caught this early too. 

Enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would.  Good to see Zoe Bell pop up too.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to MariannaBelle)
Post #: 3
Really a cool movie - 5/4/2010 3:18:49 AM   
monkeyhumour

I really recommend it. Hasn't got enough attention and don't get me started on the box-office

It also reminds u of why the world fell in love with Ellen Page
Great to see Daniel Stern back again...I love the stern

Post #: 4
RE: Really a cool movie - 6/4/2010 7:39:16 PM   
TrendMeUp

What a fantastic little film. Really funny and warm, brilliant soundtrack and some ace performances. Is Marcia Gay Harden just fantastic in everything these days? Whip It? Watch it. Ho ho ho.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to monkeyhumour)
Post #: 5
This has been on DVD in the U.S. for a while, - 6/4/2010 8:47:58 PM   
screenwriter74

and I loved this film. I enjoyed the complexities of the characters,(even the villains) . Drew Barrymore really made a great entertaining film that I watched with my two daughters. a really great film go see it.

Post #: 6
Three stars.... - 7/4/2010 7:25:00 PM   
filmsunlimited

OK so I am not the on holiday teen audience this film is aimed at but I think four stars is a little OTT for this. Another underdog American sports movie, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Normally I would award such films two stars, what makes this a little better is Ellen Page herself ( innocent teen type that can be LEGALLY lusted after given her twenties and short for her age stature) and a gritty girl-power sort of feel to this. The usual fun living for the moment against Texan republican get the top grades and be a doll in the pageant is present and correct too. Watchable, entertaining, but of a genre thats not just been 'whip'ped, its been near flogged to death.

Post #: 7
Saw this film ageeees ago last year and - 8/4/2010 3:20:54 AM   
droo_face

thought it was better then I thought it was going to be. Definitely worth a watch

Post #: 8
Whip It - 8/4/2010 7:08:31 PM   
moviemaniac2

Essentially a sports movie, , Whip It is just a lot of fun. Sure, the overbearing parent pushing their child in the wrong direction because of their own shortcomings thing has been done countless times before; but here, with Barrymore's great first time direction and great acting by Ellen Page it just feels more real, and crucially, more entertaining.

Post #: 9
Whip It - 8/4/2010 7:08:31 PM   
moviemaniac2

Essentially a sports movie, , Whip It is just a lot of fun. Sure, the overbearing parent pushing their child in the wrong direction because of their own shortcomings thing has been done countless times before; but here, with Barrymore's great first time direction and great acting by Ellen Page it just feels more real, and crucially, more entertaining.

Post #: 10
Whip It - 10/4/2010 3:08:15 PM   
Bighousewill

Up beat fun and cool feel good film with good performances from Ellen Page and Juliet Lewis. An Excellent directorial from Drew Barrymore she's obviously learnt a lot in the business. Great Film.

Post #: 11
RE: Whip It - 10/4/2010 9:41:03 PM   
juanvasquez

Loved it! Who'd have thought roller skating could be so much fun. Was good to see Marv from Home Alone!

Very funny and a great cast.

I recommend it! However, My oldest now wants to roller skate!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 12
- 11/4/2010 8:47:15 AM   
crazymoviesdude

Really, really great. The best film I've seen so far of 2010.

10/11

Post #: 13
RE: - 14/4/2010 11:52:57 PM   
edge88

Saw the movie today and absolutely loved it, best film I have seen in 2010 so far.
Drew Barrymore makes me laugh everytime she is on-screen, she has an amazing personality
Fantastic cast- juliette lewis and ellen page were awesome too
Hilarious too!!!

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 14
- 15/4/2010 4:40:48 AM   
nc_jj

I would have to say: Bravo for Barrymore, she did an outstanding work.

Post #: 15
RE: - 15/4/2010 10:23:21 AM   
skeletonjack

Utterly predictable throughout (almost) with plot details you see coming a mile off, but hey it's a sports movie so we all know what to expect. Whilst the film was entertaining enough I am amazed by all of the love it is getting.
The main problem for me was in the sport itself. Whereas sports films develop the action that you see, there was nothing different in any of the skating scenes, visually they were all the same as there is little you can do with a sport like that. Basically the action throughout does not change.
My other gripe about the film is Ellen Page whom I find inherently annoying in everything I see her in.
Not a bad debut from Miss Barrymore though, an average 3 stars.

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 18/4/2010 2:06:33 PM   
robwillphill

Hyped up to be something great and different. For me, it ended up a dissapointment. 4 stars? No way! More like 2...

4/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 18/4/2010 5:19:34 PM   
iheartthetalkies

I didn't have many expectations prior to seeing this, so perhaps that's why I was so impressed. I thought Drew Barrymore did a really good job, I look forward to her next effort. Although it was female-centric, Whip it also offered positive depictions of most of the male characters too, something that female-dominated films sometimes fail to do. More thoughts here...

http://iheartthetalkies.com/

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 18
RE: Whip It - 19/4/2010 1:35:08 PM   
R W

Director: Drew Barrymore
Screenwriter: Shauna Cross
Starring: Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Drew Barrymore, Juliette Lewis, Jimmy Fallon, Alia Shawkat

Synopsis
In Bodeen, Texas, Bliss Cavendar (Page) finds a way of dealing with her small-town misery after she discovers a roller derby league in nearby Austin.

Review
When it comes to actors taking on their first project as a director, there can be ups and downs. On the positive side, someone like Steve Buscemi has the confidence on directing sophisticated indie flicks like Trees Lounge and Interview. However on the opposite side, you have someone like William Shatner taking on Star Trek V in which he is more concerned about making himself look good as oppose to his crew on the Enterprise. So how well does the actress who played little Gertie from E.T. achieve
this challenge?

Adapted from her own novel Derby Girl, Shauna Cross takes the usual story of the feminine misfit trying to break free from her tiny-town life and succeeds this by discovering roller derby. It is a story that has been told time and time again, so from watching this, you can pretty much map out where this film is going, but the sport of roller derby does bring some fresh air to this familiar tale.

A lot of the roller-skating players are similar to the sexy bartenders from Coyote Ugly, but unlike that Jerry Bruckheimer production, Whip It is not full of two-dimensional characters as they not only bring the humour which is cleverly witty, they are also very believable and do not stand out as stilled dolls which usually happens in these films.

When she’s working behind the camera, it clearly shows on screen that Drew Barrymore has an independent sensibility, in which characters are stuck in real-life situations, while a terrific soundtrack of old and new is played throughout. As someone who doesn’t have an interest in any sport (or roller derby for that matter), I was surprised by how hard-hitting this sport is as these actresses getting bashed by one another. This won’t change my opinion towards the sport, but Barrymore succeeds at making this an enjoyable aspect in her directorial debut.

After seeing her work from X-Men 3 to indie greats like Hard Candy and the masterful Juno, Ellen Page is one of those actors who you can’t get bored of. She maybe convincing as a mutant who can walk through walls, she’s even more convincing as a quirky misfit who physically becomes a fast and hard-hitting roller blader.

With a near-all-female cast surrounding Miss Page, this is a fine ensemble. Marcia Gay Harden playing the forceful mother does have a hard time finding a likable presence throughout but there is enough decency towards her performance. Whilst in the past she has just played funny, funny, funny… Kristen Wiig is doing far more dramatic work here than before as she becomes a mother-figure to Bliss. For all those who are fans of Arrested Development, the funniest scenes involve a great chemistry between Page and Alia Shawkat as the confident if somewhat awkward best friend.

Verdict
It’s not Juno or even Adventureland, but the film shows that Drew Barrymore has a talent behind the camera and ends up making a very enjoyable, yet predictable dramedy.

Post #: 19
RE: Whip It - 19/4/2010 9:23:40 PM   
empire No. 1

it is watchable, but thats it. zoe bell is .... er ... kinda tasty though! 4/10

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 20
Whip It - 18/5/2010 10:47:40 PM   
Soprano168

Although theres no real surprises to be had it was entertaining from the start was fresh and funny and it comes with a shitload of girl power. I think it it'll be this years Adventureland.

Post #: 21
It's ok - 20/8/2010 2:06:06 PM   
jmebaby25

Bought it for my wife last night and watched it together. We're pretty much the target audience. We liked Juno, we haven't completely tired of Michael Cera yet, we're looking forward to Scott Pilgrim and we enjoy a bit of indie movies and music every now and then.

Whip It was..... ok. Not quite sure how it can justify the 4 star review of 5 star talk ups it's been getting here. It's fine. The cast is solid and the story moves along nicely. Has a nice message and is, for the most part, well short. However, nothing about it is remarkable. It's Juno-lite.

Impressed with Barrymore's first job as a director and look forward to seeing more, but lets keep it in perspective.

Post #: 22
Whip It - 26/9/2010 3:13:14 PM   
Biggus

Whip It is the directorial debut of Drew Barrymore and perhaps unsurprisingly it's a tale of teen angst, rebellion and an unruly outlet for these frustrations. Ellen Page plays Bliss Cavendar, a 17 year old whose idealistic mother has her competing in degrading beauty pageants much to her chagrin when one night Bliss and her best friend attend a local roller derby where Bliss's eyes are opened by the free will and wild abandon of this sometimes brutal sport.

It's the kind of hip-smart role Page can do her in her sleep these days but she never fails to engage the audience and injects just the right amount of confidence and awkward teen-ness into the role. All of the supporting characters are well balanced and never push the comedy too broad or the drama too serious. In fact it's very much a film of understated composure when given the subject matter and and age demographic of most of the cast, this could well descend into Juno on roller skates. Barrymore has clearly set an agenda to achieve the right balance between keeping things light but punchy and coarse but heartfelt, much like the punk-pop soundtrack which litters the film. Cast-wise the strongest performances (and perfect examples of this balance) come from Daniel Stern and Marcia Gay Harden as Bliss's parents.

Ultimately the one aspect which hampers the film is the lack of a compelling storyline to drive everthing forward. Everything unfolds pretty much as expected. There are no surprises to this well-worn (if pleasantly told) fable i.e misunderstood teen finds an seemingly unacceptable way of dealing with her insecurities, needs to win parents approval, loves and loses along the way etc. In fact the film's major bum note comes courtesy of Bliss's romance with a local, would-be rocker. This particular story strand comes across as unnecessary and flat despite an unusual but quite touching underwater love scene.

Overall Whip It is a thoroughly admirable effort from Barrymore and she clearly has a handle on the material and actors she's working with. Hopefully given the right opportunities we may see her hit the heights of, say, Jason Reitman (Up In The Air) and not sink to B-grade rom-coms or schmaltzy nonsense.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 23
Be your own hero! Go Babe Ruthless! - 26/3/2011 10:38:55 PM   
JohnChard

Whip It is directed by Drew Barrymore and adapted for the screen by Shauna Cross from her own novel, Derby Girl. Barrymore also co-stars alongside Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Jimmy Fallon, Daniel Stern and Landon Pigg.

Bliss Cavendar (Page), is a bored teenage girl stuck in a rut in Bodeen, Texas. Her life consists of working at the “Oink Joint” restaurant and entering beauty contests to please her mother (Harden). Along with her friend Pash (Shawkat), she dreams of escaping to a better life. Then one day during a trip out to Austin, the girls get wind of Roller Derby, a sport for girls played on rollerskates. Intrigued they go and take in a match and Bliss is hooked straight away, it`s tough, competitive and even edgy. Telling a lie about her age, Bliss decides to try out for the “Hurl Scouts” and gets a place on the team as “Babe Ruthless”. Thanks to her ability the “Scouts” start to turn around their season, however, with a new boyfriend on the scene and her parents unaware of her secret life, Bliss` new found happiness could come crashing down around her.

In spite of some favourable critical assessments, Drew Barrymore`s directing debut barely made a dent at the box office. Just about making its money back on World gross, the figures would lend you to believe that the film simply isn`t very good. Plot synopsis doesn`t suggest anything out of the ordinary, yet another coming-of-age teenager picture, and one that is sports based, and even more formulaic than that, the sports team at the centre of proceedings is an underdog too! Throw into the equation that it`s a female based movie and it`s not really a film crying out for all demographics: or is it?

Barrymore herself was very disappointed with the marketing for her movie, the general feeling being that it was sold as a girls sports love story type picture. She`s absolutely right, it was marketed badly, and it barely had a run on the big screen in most countries. Which is a shame because Whip It is a smashing film, a picture that`s vibrant, funny and not without dramatic worth; and yes, it`s accessible for any age, sex or gender persuasion. Cross` script is fresh and free of filler and the cast all turn in jolly good shows; ranging from the excellent (Page/Gay Harden) to the engaging (Shawkat/Lewis/Wiig) and the funny (Stern/Fallon). Ok, so it`s not perfect, Barrymore is no Tony Scott when it comes to shooting action (some of the actual derby matches are confusing and not flowing), and maybe a bit more backstory flesh for the other “Hurl Scouts” wouldn`t have gone amiss? But these are minor itches at the beginning of what is hoped to be a long career in directing for Madame Barrymore.

With names like Jabba the Slut, Smashley Simpson and Iron Maven, it`s evidently a film full of fun vim and vigor. But as great as that is (girls in skirts on skates belting each other around a track), the coming-of-age drama at its core should not be understated either. 8/10

< Message edited by JohnChard -- 26/3/2011 10:41:34 PM >

Post #: 24
My fave chick flick - 23/9/2012 3:58:55 PM   
danielthompson99

This is such a funny, stupid and touchingly sentimental film. I just love it !
Aside from Empire's afforementioned performances, Andrew Wilson as Hurl Scouts coach Razor is absolutely superb. He is a twit, a knob, a fool and a pudz....but he's great !
Ellen Page once again knocks the ball clean out of the park, and her character is engaging, loveable and determined.
Drew Barrymore's character is once again a highlight of the film, and you can just see, as in Angels, they had an absolute hoot making this film.
I love Drew, I love Razor, I defo love Ellen Page, and I absolutely love Whip It.
"YAY, we're number two, we're number two! "

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Whip It Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI