Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The General Election

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The General Election Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:49:43 AM   
matty_b

You do realise what would happen if the Tories fail to oust Labour or get an overall majority though, don't you? They'd turn on Cameron and then who would step up to take over...Boris Johnson 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 121
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:54:54 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

It'd be interesting to see who the Lib Dems sided with in the event of a hung parliament. They're such an uneasy marriage of a party at the best of times - half to the left of Labour, half free-market libertarians, the consequences for their future would be huge. You'd think it would have to be Labour but they'd lose a fair amount of credibility either way.

I think the Lib Dems would naturally side with Labour at this time. There is real sense that under David "Call me Dave" Cameron they are still the 'same old Tories' and I think it is this as much as anything that would make the Lib Dems gravitate towards Labour. Not that it is an easy choice given the unpopularity of this Labour government.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 122
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:57:03 AM   
matty_b

When was the last time both main parties were so unappealing? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 123
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:10:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Hope has totally drained away over the last decade - what does it say about democracy in this country when the two main parties are so similar? 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 124
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:15:51 PM   
jediwarrior

Bit of a different question but it's to do with Elections.

What do you guys think about that voting in a General Election should be made compulsory?

I hate seeing stats that say only 40% of people bothered voting. I know it's our freedom to vote or not to vote, but when I see other countries with people who want to vote and are not allowed to, or the voting is rig. I just feel it's such a waste for people not to vote in this country.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 125
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:16:50 PM   
superdan

The thing that annoys me is that most people will only see it as a choice between the 2 main Parties. Nearly everyone I know will vote the same way, regardless of anything. My housemate has said he will always vote Labour even if there was another Party infinitely more able and qualified to take over (and he has a degree in politics ). My Mum would vote Tory even if the leader had horns, a tail and forked tongue. It baffles me.

Post #: 126
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:18:04 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

What do you guys think about that voting in a General Election should be made compulsory?

I hate seeing stats that say only 40% of people bothered voting. I know it's our freedom to vote or not to vote, but when I see other countries with people who want to vote and are not allowed to, or the voting is rig. I just feel it's such a waste for people not to vote in this country.

I thinnk you should have to pass a test to vote. The public can't be trusted with anything

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 127
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:53:07 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Not really something I'd want to see really. If people feel that there are no viable options for them amongst the candidates they're presented with then they should have the right to abstain, rather than have to pick the best of a bad lot.  

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 128
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 12:59:34 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

Not really something I'd want to see really. If people feel that there are no viable options for them amongst the candidates they're presented with then they should have the right to abstain, rather than have to pick the best of a bad lot.  

There is always the option of having a compulsory vote but including the option that you vote for no-one on the voting form. That way you keep peoples right to abstain from voting, but at the same time you almost certainly increase voter turnout therefore the legitimacy of the governments mandate. I don't know whether I agree with this or not (it's something I've never been able to make up my mind on) but if they were going to do it there would have to be an option for a vote for no-one, I believe that that is the case in Australia where they have compulsory voting.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 129
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:08:35 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

I think the Lib Dems would naturally side with Labour at this time. There is real sense that under David "Call me Dave" Cameron they are still the 'same old Tories' and I think it is this as much as anything that would make the Lib Dems gravitate towards Labour. Not that it is an easy choice given the unpopularity of this Labour government.

I think you're probably right but it'd require the party to address cracks they have been papering over since the publication of The Orange Book in 2004. Clegg and several of his high-ranking allies are much stronger on what they would see as 'classical liberalism' than most within Labour, even post-Blair. They're pro-market-solutions, pro-tax-cuts, anti-big-government, and so on. All that finds a more natural fit with the Tories than with Labour. With Cameron's supposed move towards the same ground (economic liberalism without Victorian moralism) quite a significant percentage of the party might see it as a natural alliance. A large percentage, perhaps the majority, would run a mile from any partnership with the Conservatives though and i think that would make a Labour proposal more likely.

Fundamentally though, the Lib Dems have been coasting under Clegg without really needing to set out their political stall. They know they're going to pick up votes from natural Tory voters turned off by the 'nasty party' rump and from disaffected Labour voters complaining that the Blair / Brown years haven't been left-wing enough. It might result in a bump in the polls but it's not something you can build a long-term platform on.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 130
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:09:45 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Who you voting for Jess? 

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 131
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:17:45 PM   
JessFranco

Labour, with a heavy heart. Diane Abbott could be worse, i suppose.

Post #: 132
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:29:57 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

No way!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 133
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:35:03 PM   
JessFranco

She could be Michael Portillo.

She has a majority of 7,500 so, either way, it's difficult to see her shifting.

Post #: 134
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 1:41:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Well we've got the joy of having Plaid Cymru being bulletproof where I live. They've been in since 1974 and usually get about 45-50% of the vote giving them a 5000-6000 majority over 2nd place (usually Labour with about 20-25%). I'm traditionally a Labour voter but I'm not going to bother this year (for the record if I did I'd go Lib Dems for a change). There really is no point in this constituency. I doubt Plaid will get ousted in my life time.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/4/2010 1:42:27 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 135
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 2:06:43 PM   
jediwarrior

Just seen that the first Leaders Debate is on next Thursday 15th on ITV.

Shall be looking forward to that.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 136
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:18:41 PM   
HIM

I don't know if anyone knows but there will be a General Election on May 6th, which is exactly one month today.

Post #: 137
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:33:25 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Shit I might not be in the country!!! Might have to do a postal vote - not sure how to go about it though

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 138
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:39:48 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

50% on high earners is fair enough in this climate.

You silly fucking wanker....

Post #: 139
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:40:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

"Quote for change!"

Post #: 140
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:44:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

50% on high earners is fair enough in this climate.

You silly fucking wanker....

I think Sinatra should be taxed at 80% for working in the City!!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 141
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:49:24 PM   
Sinatra

I do hate you very much!
Seriously though, the whole of the taxband system needs looking at... it's a dangerous game depending on 5% of the population for 60% of the tax revenues. But then, I'm bound to say that.  I read somewhere the other day that the population of high earners within this country is due to reduce substantially.

Post #: 142
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 4:52:53 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I think we should add an opinion poll to this thread!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 143
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:04:38 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

When was the last time both main parties were so unappealing? 

The last general election, I think...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 144
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:11:01 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I can predict the outcome now.... it's always the same.
Loads of students on here you know....

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 145
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:39:04 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

I thinnk you should have to pass a test to vote. The public can't be trusted with anything

As I said in a previous post I am of the opinion that the turnout is going to be in the high 20% this time due to massive apathy. I agree a test is needed maybe only the learned few should be allowed to vote, those with an IQ of 140 or above

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 146
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:42:03 PM   
CORLEONE

According to the majority of people on this thread, the LIb Dems will piss it. Bunch o' left wing commies

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 147
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:47:48 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

As I said in a previous post I am of the opinion that the turnout is going to be in the high 20% this time due to massive apathy. I agree a test is needed maybe only the learned few should be allowed to vote, those with an IQ of 140 or above

If it was up to me, it would only be the wealthy landowners that could vote.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 148
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 5:57:05 PM   
sanchia

And no women

Back to Victorian values

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 149
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 7:27:58 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I can predict the outcome now.... it's always the same.
Loads of students on here you know....

I suppose you're right but I just thought it would be nice to see a brief view of who would win an Empire Election

I'm voting Conservative.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The General Election Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI