Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The General Election

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The General Election Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The General Election - 3/4/2010 1:59:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

That figure seems a bit high. This is one of those policies that I'm not sure I agree with the Lib Dems on. I think we need a nuclear deterrent, maybe not now but in the future it might be needed. Better to be safe than sorry imo.

I hate to say this but I think you're wrong. No country really wants a nuclear war, the closest we've come is arguably the Cuban missile crisis and in that both the Russians and the Americans did everything they could to avoid having to use nuclear weapons against each other with both sides making concessions that they did not want to. I think we're much more at danger of a bomb simply being set off in the middle of a city rather than a missile launch. I don't quite know how we can build a system to stop this type of bombing, and I don't even think that it's that likely. I'm all for disarmament, I think someone needs to start it, as no country seems willing to disarm unless all other countries follow suit.

Nuclear disarmament is just one big prisoner's dilemma, so I cant ever see complete nuclear disarmament happening. Sure it is in the best interests of all countries to disarm, but no one wants to be the first to get rid of their nuclear weapons (and with countries like Russia, China, India and Pakistan I cant ever see them giving up their nuclear weapons).

I agree with you that most countries do not want a nuclear war (it is a weapon of last resort) and at the moment we may not need a nuclear deterrent. But if ten years down the line circumstances change and we dont have a nuclear deterrent, then we are pretty screwed. I would rather not take that chance.

I think the argument surrounding Trident is a) the fact the cold war is over and threat has changed and b) we have loads of nukes and nuclear submarines that can hit anyone, is this upgrade worth the money considering the state of the country's finances?

As for the 100 billion figure Greenpeace quote a 97 billion saving while others say it's 20 billion so I might be wrong but even the lesser saving is substantial

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 91
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 2:30:02 PM   
tommyjarvis

I'm gonna vote BNP, I reckon. Whatever else you might think about them, at least they're not just the same as every other party.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 92
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 3:21:23 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I'm gonna vote BNP, I reckon. Whatever else you might think about them, at least they're not just the same as every other party.

Please tell me you're joking? Even without the Racist policies the BNP are a dreadful party...

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 93
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 3:32:23 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Tommy you were being ironic right ? Because to be blunt only an ignorant moron would vote for them.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 94
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 8:32:40 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I would say make certain you carefully red their manifesto before deciding to vote Green.

That goes for any party though, right?

I've no idea who to vote for really. I think genuinely there are alot of people like me, who might be of a slightly leftie pursuasion, who just have no-one to vote for. Labour need at least a term out of government so that they can get themselves back together, sort themselves out and perhaps even become the party of the Left again. It just makes me shudder that it means that it means the Tories are going to be in. I don't want to vote them either. Lib Dems are who I voted for for at the last GE, but they seem a bit lethargic compared with last time. After that you're into the small parties, and even they aren't that interesting to me.

quote:

Well yeah, none of the other parties are quite so right wing. But voting for them is a crazy notion, obviously.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 95
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 8:42:43 PM   
Timon

I really think Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling's comments on the whole 'homosexuals in B&Bs' could really backfire for the Conservatives... especially if Cameron still stays mum on the issue.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 96
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 8:59:47 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really think Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling's comments on the whole 'homosexuals in B&Bs' could really backfire for the Conservatives... especially if Cameron still stays mum on the issue.

I've just been reading articles on this. So he says it's okay for Christians offended by homosexuality to not let them into their homes (as in a B&B) But that Hotels have no right to discriminate... someone still owns a hotel don't they? Secondly if this were about religion or ethnicity it wouldn't even be being discussed, he would be out no questions asked. I honestly don't care if your religious beliefs are against homosexuality, that doesn't mean that your discrimination is justified. For a start the bible is incredibly vague on the subject, but pretty clear about the whole acceptance and toleration thing. Your religious beliefs are no excuse for discrimination, and as soon as you start using them as such perhaps it is time for your religion to take a good long look at what it preaches and ask if it is morally right to do so.

The most confusing thing about the whole issue though is something he has said as quoted on the BBC website

quote:

"I also voted in favour of the legislation that prohibited bed and breakfast owners from discriminating against gay people."

If he voted against B&B owners being able to turn away gay couples, but doesn't believe it, what's the deal there?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 97
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 9:36:35 PM   
Rhubarb

Its genuinely quite shocking, I think, for someone in such a position to say such a thing. Genuinely, I'd like to think the backlash would be big enough to put the election in serious, serious doubt.

Its kinda worrying that Cameron is just doing his usual thing i.e waiting to see what the masses think and then going along with that. Just come out and take a bloody position. I'd like to believe he believes in something.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 98
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 11:44:06 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

the bible is pretty clear about the whole acceptance and toleration thing. Your religious beliefs are no excuse for discrimination, and as soon as you start using them as such perhaps it is time for your religion to take a good long look at what it preaches and ask if it is morally right to do so.

Amen, moon. Not letting gays into your home?? Ridiculous.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 99
RE: The General Election - 4/4/2010 11:55:42 PM   
tommyjarvis

Is it not arguable, though, that people should have the right to refuse to do business with people if they want? In which case, society's morals would see the business being shunned by many anyway, but the country shouldn't need the government to decide what our morals should and shouldn't be.

And I may be a moron, but no, I'm not voting BNP. This time, anyway.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 100
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 12:00:10 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

Is it not arguable, though, that people should have the right to refuse to do business with people if they want? In which case, society's morals would see the business being shunned by many anyway, but the country shouldn't need the government to decide what our morals should and shouldn't be.

It's a fair point. I was more arguing that a self-respecting Christian shouldn't turn anyone away from their home simply because they live differently. Unless of course they are a kleptomaniac come to steal everything you own.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 101
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 12:07:25 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Is it not arguable, though, that people should have the right to refuse to do business with people if they want?

The argument is presented from a "Christian" angle though, so by that reckoning they shouldn't let people having affairs into their home either. Or open on a Sunday. Or let people of other religions in. Wouldn't be all that successful a business, I wouldn't have thunk.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 102
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 12:34:09 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

This election makes me want to stick a fork in my eye. There seems to be a distinct lack of a reasonable option; Labour need a kick up the arse, the Tories are well, the Tories (the fact that David Cameron never wears a tie also irritates the fook out of me, it's not trendy or casual, you just look unkempt) and the Lib Dems are so middle of the road it's painful; it still seems a huge shame that they haven't let Vince Cable take over, he seems the only one with a genuine bit of sense.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 103
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 8:37:07 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

I would say make certain you carefully red their manifesto before deciding to vote Green.

I've no idea who to vote for really. I think genuinely there are alot of people like me, who might be of a slightly leftie pursuasion, who just have no-one to vote for. Labour need at least a term out of government so that they can get themselves back together, sort themselves out and perhaps even become the party of the Left again. It just makes me shudder that it means that it means the Tories are going to be in. I don't want to vote them either. Lib Dems are who I voted for for at the last GE, but they seem a bit lethargic compared with last time. After that you're into the small parties, and even they aren't that interesting to me.

Not that a manifesto actually is worth the paper it is written on. I think I really gave up on Labour in many ways (other than never having trusted Tony Blair) when they blatently broke a manifesto pledge mid term and introduced student fees having promised not to in their manifesto. Unsurprisingly the page the promise was made had vanished off the online copy on their website. I think that was the most blatant breech of manifesto I have ever seen.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 104
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 8:40:19 AM   
sanchia

quote:

Apparently there are internal power struggles going on in the BNP at the moment with attempts to oust Griffen for being too left wing.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 105
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 11:30:00 AM   
moontheloon

quote:

quote:

Apparently there are internal power struggles going on in the BNP at the moment with attempts to oust Griffen for being too left wing.

It's scary to think that some people consider Nick Griffin as left wing

Also, I read it was a plan to kill him rather than simply oust him.

article here

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 106
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 12:14:03 PM   
sanchia

Considering UKIP pretended to be sleaze free it is not looking good for them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/04/ukip-reveal-funding

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 107
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 6:00:32 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not that a manifesto actually is worth the paper it is written on. I think I really gave up on Labour in many ways (other than never having trusted Tony Blair) when they blatently broke a manifesto pledge mid term and introduced student fees having promised not to in their manifesto. Unsurprisingly the page the promise was made had vanished off the online copy on their website. I think that was the most blatant breech of manifesto I have ever seen.

Oh yeah, I agree wholeheartedly, and indeed Student Fee's was about the point where I decided voting for Labour was an absolute no-no. But everyone should read them so they know what they're being promised, so they can be angry about it later.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 108
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 6:12:49 PM   
timomouse

quote:

quote:

Particularly the Greens - they're virulently anti-science so if you're pro-stem cells or anything like that, then don't vote for them.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 109
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 6:43:14 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

Colour pun intended?

That's me that is!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 110
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 6:45:55 PM   
sanchia

Sadly not just a sticky A

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 111
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 10:09:11 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

I shall be voting Tory.

Down with Brown

When we're living in the middle of the next couple of decades of dark Tory reign, I'll know who to blame, then.

Yeah, coz the last few years have been fantastic(!)

Anyway, I think I'll be voting Lib Dem again - kind of the best of a bad bunch.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 112
RE: The General Election - 5/4/2010 11:21:20 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

I shall be voting Tory.

Down with Brown

When we're living in the middle of the next couple of decades of dark Tory reign, I'll know who to blame, then.

Yeah, coz the last few years have been fantastic(!)

I think it's pretty clear they haven't. New Labour apologism isn't my bag, baby. But I can only see things getting progressively worse if Cameron, (gasp!) Osborne and the rest of the old toffs get in.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 113
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 9:38:54 AM   
jediwarrior

Quite looking forward to the next month. It's too close to call as to who wins and I believe it's going to get quite dirty.

It could be that the way they come across on the 3 TV Question Times will decide who wins.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 114
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 10:06:47 AM   
JessFranco

The polls suggest Labour are closing the gap. It's not going to be enough though. If you want the most accurate possible predictor of outcome, Oddschecker is the place to look. The Tories are 4/7, Labour are 11/1. No overall controll is 13/8, which looks short to me.

It'll be interesting to see how Labour reshapes after the probable defeat.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 115
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 10:20:33 AM   
superdan

I hate to say it, but I would almost prefer the Tories to win than for there to be a hung parliament. Given that all these idiots in the Commons can do is bicker with each other I can't see any real governing getting done under a hung parliament, and if it came to it I wouldn't be too shocked if the Queen stepped in, especially given the economic conditions at the moment.
Also, I honestly think that if they do win the Tories are so ill-prepared and equipped to lead that they would make everything so fubar that it would set the party back another 10 years. Which suits me fine.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 116
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:20:24 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

The polls suggest Labour are closing the gap. It's not going to be enough though. If you want the most accurate possible predictor of outcome, Oddschecker is the place to look. The Tories are 4/7, Labour are 11/1. No overall controll is 13/8, which looks short to me.

It'll be interesting to see how Labour reshapes after the probable defeat.

It depends on what poll you look at. Some say 4% others take it upto 10%. It's going to go up and down like a yo-yo over the next month.
Plus I'm sure there are millions who are undecided who to vote for yet, so this polls could have it very wrong.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 117
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:29:51 AM   
JessFranco

quote:

It depends on what poll you look at. Some say 4% others take it upto 10%. It's going to go up and down like a yo-yo over the next month.
Plus I'm sure there are millions who are undecided who to vote for yet, so this polls could have it very wrong.

Almost all polls are fairly unreliable - generally slanted by the editorial bias of the people paying for them. The bookmakers are very rarely wrong when it comes to elections though.

Post #: 118
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:39:06 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

There's been talk of a Labour-Lib Dem pact in the event of a close one getting Vince Cable into no.11 - one part of me quite likes the idea but then to see Labour get back in....

Post #: 119
RE: The General Election - 6/4/2010 11:43:58 AM   
JessFranco

It'd be interesting to see who the Lib Dems sided with in the event of a hung parliament. They're such an uneasy marriage of a party at the best of times - half to the left of Labour, half free-market libertarians, the consequences for their future would be huge. You'd think it would have to be Labour but they'd lose a fair amount of credibility either way.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The General Election Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI