Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The British Politics Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The British Politics Thread - 3/5/2013 9:16:14 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
There are some UKIP stances I agree with (and just for the record not all of the immigration policies as I know this is going to be treated as controversial, although I do have some views on the EU immigrants benefits system) but it's Farage and some of his party's views on education, and other key public sector areas, that will never get me ticking a box next to his name at a general election, or any other, for that matter.

Their views on education, plus:

Same rate of tax for shelfstackers and millionaires alike
Cut employers NI, to be paid for by slashing welfare and raising VAT
Cutting public spending to 1997 levels at an estimated cost of 2 million jobs whilst simultaneously doubling defence equipment budget and increasing overall defence budget by 40%
Asylum seekers to be held in 'secure units'; Illegal immigrants to be deported regardless of circumstances
Scrapping Human Rights Act
Scrapping Crown Prosecution Service
Hospitals and doctors surgeries to be franchised to private companies
Support coal; oppose wind
Ban schools from showing An Inconvenient Truth

They are fucking barmy, and because they are good at playing on peoples paranoia about immigration tekking ur jerbs and the EU red-taping you all day they are dangerous as well. Plus Farage is a smug rabble-rousing prick with von Greenback eyes.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6001
RE: The British Politics Thread - 3/5/2013 9:22:22 PM   
sanchia

I don't think barmy is quite the word for it. They are dangerously insane and the problem is that people do not look into the whole truth of them preferring just to accept their surface proposals. I don't really know how any sane person could rationalise that they are a good thing for the country if they have actually carried out research into them. The thing is that Farage is an arch manipulator and knows how to play people. The fact he would prostitute himself in such things as the Harry and Paul show also shows he has awful decision making skills.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 3/5/2013 9:27:17 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6002
RE: The British Politics Thread - 3/5/2013 10:39:03 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
There are some UKIP stances I agree with (and just for the record not all of the immigration policies as I know this is going to be treated as controversial, although I do have some views on the EU immigrants benefits system) but it's Farage and some of his party's views on education, and other key public sector areas, that will never get me ticking a box next to his name at a general election, or any other, for that matter.

Their views on education, plus:

Cut employers NI, to be paid for by slashing welfare and raising VAT
Cutting public spending to 1997 levels at an estimated cost of 2 million jobs whilst simultaneously doubling defence equipment budget and increasing overall defence budget by 40%
Asylum seekers to be held in 'secure units'; Illegal immigrants to be deported regardless of circumstances
Scrapping Human Rights Act
Scrapping Crown Prosecution Service
Hospitals and doctors surgeries to be franchised to private companies
Support coal; oppose wind
Ban schools from showing An Inconvenient Truth

They are fucking barmy, and because they are good at playing on peoples paranoia about immigration tekking ur jerbs and the EU red-taping you all day they are dangerous as well. Plus Farage is a smug rabble-rousing prick with von Greenback eyes.

Oh yes, without a doubt, perhaps their most sensible policy of all is the one on EU immigrants benefits, because the rest of their policies, or the majority of them that I have read up on, and I didn't know that one about An Inconvenient Truth so that brightened up my evening very much thank you!! I mean, are they just ill-informed, or completely nuts, because my mum's a schoolteacher of almost 20 years and a qualified headteacher and she's never heard of any school showing An Inconvenient Truth anyway!!

Farage has all the movements and yammer of a fake, a liar and a manipulative back-tracker, ultimately some of the policies still stink of his Conservatism as well so you can't really get much worse than him as a leader to be honest, maybe Nick Griffin I suppose.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6003
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/5/2013 9:31:04 AM   
sanchia

I think the thing to remember is the origins of the party. They began as disaffected extremist Thatcherites who felt unrepresetned in the Tory party and so split off (much as the SDP split from the Labour Party) they felt the policies had become too liberal following Thatcher leaving. The leader of the party left shortly after founding as he felt it had been infected by racist and the far right. It is not really a shock that they are the party they now are.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 4/5/2013 9:59:10 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6004
RE: The British Politics Thread - 4/5/2013 12:15:14 PM   
boaby

So 31% turnout. Once again the majority canna be arsed, or canna see the point.

So it's a quarter of the third of folk in the shires of England who bother to vote in local elections who've voted for a right wing reactionary party. A party that has next to no idea what its about other than getting out of the EU.

Main parties should be worried. 29% of 31% might as well be nothing.

Alex Salmond must be quietly enjoying the attention UKIP are getting.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6005
RE: The British Politics Thread - 9/5/2013 7:10:08 AM   
sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22452239

In theory extra supervision is a good idea, in reality probation funding has been pared to the bone in recent years and then privatised. As a payment by result basis in in force the private companies will have no interest in watching repeat offenders or those who are at risk of offending leaving it to the voluntary groups and charities who will not be able to exist if they get persistent reoffenders. The present structure of the probation services cannot cope with this plan and it is a pipe dream, especially as no extra funding will go towards it.

I think they may have let George Osbourne do the sums on this one.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 9/5/2013 7:11:23 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 6006
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/5/2013 12:28:49 PM   
boaby

Tories + Europe... just add Benny Hill music for a tasty comedy snack.

Poor Trish, his news cycle in the Obama-sphere ruined by a cavalcade of old school evil egging on the next generation.

"Scotland? Pffft. Who cares. Better Together? Who are they again? They said the only way Scots can be sure of being in the EU is to stay in the UK? Don't care. Down with this EU nonsense. We should have loudspeakers blaring Nimrod towards France atop the cliffs of Dover."

Some of the anti-EU rhetoric is akin to the less evolved "arguments" for Scottish independence. This amuses me. Arch-unionist Scots like Gove, Forsyth and Fox parroting the sort of arguments they berate when employed by the SNP. Of course the Tories also have their immigration fixation.

Scottish angle completely ignored by Auntie's "national" politics programmes from what I've seen. If this European stuff culminates with UKIP monstering the European elections next year then that could increase substantially the YES vote in September.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6007
RE: The British Politics Thread - 14/5/2013 6:23:19 PM   
sanchia

If UKIP do win substantial power I may be heading North myself.

If it is the choice of the egomaniac Salmond or the egomaniac Farage, Salmond narrowly wins.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 14/5/2013 6:24:48 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 6008
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 7:12:28 AM   
sanchia

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/16/nigel-farage-locked-in-pub-for-own-safety-after-edinburgh-racist-heckles-3764124/

So Farage is heckled by what can only be called a mob in Edinburgh. He claims they were showing how racist the Scottish are to the English but having seen the clips of the event (and admittedly they must have been scary for him) there was no anti English comments just anti UKIP with such things as "UKIP scum out", "Racist scum out" and the classic “Nigel is a bawbag” etc.

The ironic thing is if they were being racist to the English this is precisely the attitude he is encouraging towards migrants and the EU? I guess his political hypocrisy is once again evident.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 17/5/2013 7:13:55 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6009
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 7:22:34 AM   
DancingClown

I still don't understand what exactly he was hoping to achieve up there.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6010
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 11:28:00 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/16/nigel-farage-locked-in-pub-for-own-safety-after-edinburgh-racist-heckles-3764124/

So Farage is heckled by what can only be called a mob in Edinburgh. He claims they were showing how racist the Scottish are to the English but having seen the clips of the event (and admittedly they must have been scary for him) there was no anti English comments just anti UKIP with such things as "UKIP scum out", "Racist scum out" and the classic “Nigel is a bawbag” etc.

The ironic thing is if they were being racist to the English this is precisely the attitude he is encouraging towards migrants and the EU? I guess his political hypocrisy is once again evident.

I don't believe the man didn't know exactly the reaction he'd get.

And absolutely - calling UKIP racist scum and homophobes in no remote way is anything to do with being anti-English. It's infuriating that he can peddle that nonsense and not be properly challenged on it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6011
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 2:06:23 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I like that one!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6012
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 3:20:47 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

You wouldnt pay any less, though, people with less would pay more. So how does that benefit you?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 6013
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 5:32:16 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

I don't believe the man didn't know exactly the reaction he'd get.

And absolutely - calling UKIP racist scum and homophobes in no remote way is anything to do with being anti-English. It's infuriating that he can peddle that nonsense and not be properly challenged on it.

Didn't he get challenged on it during an interview at which point he hung up or did I mishear that one?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/17/angry-farage-hangs-up-during-bbc-scotland-interview-after-attacking-fascist-scum-protesters-3783262/

The idea that UKIP is racist party is not prevalent in the rest of the UK he states. He is blinkered if he thinks that as a recent poll put it as one of the main parties which something like 39% would not ever vote for for precisely those reasons.. He handled himself terribly during that interview and came across as pretty defensive and paranoid and did not support his side at all with anything other than deriding the interviewer asking valid questions and providing supporting facts with disdain. As soon as a few hard questions were asked he ran away. It is rather pathetic really.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 17/5/2013 5:49:49 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6014
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 5:47:37 PM   
elab49

I heard about that after I posted - not listened to it myself yet although my husband thinks the reporter got a bit muddled over the idea of relevance.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6015
RE: The British Politics Thread - 17/5/2013 6:00:12 PM   
sanchia

quote:

I heard about that after I posted - not listened to it myself yet although my husband thinks the reporter got a bit muddled over the idea of relevance.

I think he did which Farage could have quite easily have taken advantage of but preferred to accuse the reporter of espousing hatred and taking petty shots at the BBC. It was rather pathetic really how badly he performed in an interview which I think even Clegg could have won.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 17/5/2013 6:01:16 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6016
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/5/2013 12:29:00 PM   
Goodfella

Headteachers confirm they believe Michael Gove does not know what he's doing -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22558756

I'm surprised it took them this long....

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6017
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/5/2013 12:58:06 PM   
clownfoot

Irony: Gove shows little understanding of historical research concepts in the creation of a new history curriculum (not that it will likely feature anything to do with learning about bias or corroboration)..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/13/michael-goves-claim-teenagers-ignorance

Also, good work by the civil servants involved in answering that FOI. Thoroughly unprofessional in telling the exact truth. You'll probably be sent to the lions...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6018
RE: The British Politics Thread - 18/5/2013 7:38:50 PM   
sanchia

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bulgarians-confront-nigel-farage-britain-1873353

This is rather amusing.

It shows other countries fall upon stereotype just as much as this one does and the image of Britain abroad is not good. Also someone is a tad delusional.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 6019
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 11:42:25 AM   
Deviation

quote:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bulgarians-confront-nigel-farage-britain-1873353

This is rather amusing.

It shows other countries fall upon stereotype just as much as this one does and the image of Britain abroad is not good. Also someone is a tad delusional.

There's somebody who likes Britian outside of the UK?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6020
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 1:30:19 PM   
Skiba

Are we really still debating gay marriage? For fuck's sake...the Loughton amendment could well be backed (or wrecked) by Labour which could see the same-sex marriage legislation being dropped entirely. At the very least, it could be put back until 2015 if it is passed.

There's an irony here that those Tory MP's who oppose gay marriage, which absolutely won't undermine marriage, by supporting heterosexual civil partnerships, kind of does undermine it.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6021
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 1:48:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Are we really still debating gay marriage? For fuck's sake...the Loughton amendment could well be backed (or wrecked) by Labour which could see the same-sex marriage legislation being dropped entirely. At the very least, it could be put back until 2015 if it is passed.

There's an irony here that those Tory MP's who oppose gay marriage, which absolutely won't undermine marriage, by supporting heterosexual civil partnerships, kind of does undermine it.

This has demonstrated that for all the pre-election rhetoric of the 'modern, compassionate Tory Party', they are still heavily populated with old-time bigots.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6022
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 4:02:49 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

So it's a quarter of the third of folk in the shires of England who bother to vote in local elections who've voted for a right wing reactionary party. A party that has next to no idea what its about other than getting out of the EU.

I'll probably get kicked to shit off you lot for saying this, but do you know why I didn't vote? Its because I  don't know what to do with my vote. I'm never going to vote Tory, I voted Lib Dem last time and look where it got me. I now see Labour as "Tory Lite" and with no backbone. I'd never vote UKIP in a million years.

So what do I do with my vote? I know people are always "Your vote counts and you must vote" but what does a man do when there are no good options?

Edit: This is an honest question not a rant BTW  

< Message edited by Titanm21 -- 20/5/2013 4:10:21 PM >

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 6023
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 4:11:24 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

So what do I do with my vote? I know people are always "Your vote counts and you must vote" but what does a man do when there are no good options?

Stands.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 6024
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 4:22:33 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Stands.

Ha Ha Ha oh god no.

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6025
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 4:25:06 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

The one time I've felt none of the candidates represented my views, I spoiled my ballot (If memory serves, I added an extra check box with "Harvey Dent" written next to it). Usually I tend to look at what the individual candidates stand for on local issues beforehand, since those tend to offer interesting differences and one candidates' outlook reflects mine a bit.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6026
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 4:51:20 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

I'll probably get kicked to shit off you lot for saying this, but do you know why I didn't vote? Its because I  don't know what to do with my vote. I'm never going to vote Tory, I voted Lib Dem last time and look where it got me. I now see Labour as "Tory Lite" and with no backbone. I'd never vote UKIP in a million years.

You could seriously consider voting UKIP.  I'm not being sarcastic either.  The most generous thing I could ever say about them is that they're nothing more practical than a vessel for a protest vote.  A survey published last week would have us believe that more than 60% percent of the last UKIP voters were not concerned about Europe (the party's one founding issue) and voters were more concerned about the economy back home.  Voting for a party whose only conceivable appeal value is that they "speak their mind” but are otherwise incapable of the basic diplomacy it takes to do anything practical on councils would suggest a lot of their support is actually groundless, every vote to them is a vote to nothing but more than likely a protest to the Labour government that got us into this mess and a Coalition that's failed to get us out.  If your own natural instinct is to steer well away from the Tories then a saboteur vote of the right to UKIP could be well placed.  Personally I'm still hoping Labour get their act together between now and 2015, and that they either get Vince Cable to defect to them or ardently steal his ideas and forcefully make this their stand.  If they're at all wish-washy about this then they are indeed Tory-lite.  My hope is that Milliband is fully aware of how reflexive a politician David Cameron is, Cameron apparently motivated to do nothing more than side-step around circumstances in constant appease of the party.  If Ed shows a wee bit of a backbone, isn't bashful about the proposed return to a more Keynes-based economy….he won't of course, but that's the hope I'll have to hold out with.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 20/5/2013 4:52:08 PM >

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 6027
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 6:39:44 PM   
sanchia

The problem is that if many people utilised them as a protest vote they could potentially get in on nothing more than the fact that no one wants to vote for the others. It would be a terrible thing if they ended up getting in because people just wanted to protest the fact they dislike the others. Looking at the actual economic policies which UKIP support they make Osbourne look like an economic genius.

A protest vote is fine but not a good idea when it really matters. The problem I see with Milliband (other than being a charisma void) is he is also a tad reflexive and flip flops to what is popular at the time.

If you want a protest vote try to find decent independents to vote for as whilst there is little hope they will get in at the same time they can't do too much damage if others have the same opinion and they do get voted in only to turn out to be nutters like a big chunk of UKIP are being revealed to be on almost a daily basis (three more candidates revealed to have rather extreme views on Jews, Black people, immigrants and even women, but of course every single one of them is claiming they were hacked with nothing to support such claims and in some case photos to refute the claim).

< Message edited by sanchia -- 20/5/2013 6:44:34 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 6028
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 7:21:00 PM   
Rebenectomy

I just find it sad that despite nearly as many council seats and one more MP than UKIP, the Greens aren't capitalizing half as successfully on the protest vote. Now I know they are not perfect, but they have a pretty decent social justice record and you do tend to find they work hard on local issues. Obviously being politicians they're stick dicks, but still, got to be better than UKIP.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6029
RE: The British Politics Thread - 20/5/2013 7:31:17 PM   
sanchia

I think it is also they do not have the media support which UKIP for some strange reason has obtained. As you state they have achieved more but get far less public exposure.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 6030
Page:   <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The British Politics Thread Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI